Quantcast
MOTU releases UltraLite-mk5 USB Audio Interface - Page 16 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MOTU releases UltraLite-mk5 USB Audio Interface
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #451
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
 
18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnzo ➡️
I'm having exact same issue with dropouts on a Lenovo Legion laptop Ryzen 4800H. Killed everything running, still getting dropouts just playing any music at all. Spotify desktop, web, bandcamp web, reaper, archetype nolly, doesn't matter.

I have not tried wifi off. You can recreate it by playing music and then changing a setting like the buffer in Cuemix. Exact same dropout.
Wifi off, power settings to maximum power, USB suspend turned off for all USB ports/devices, all unneccessary services disabled, drivers up to date, graphics card software uninstalled, and so on. Try that Fidelizer app too. I can't guide you through it in this thread but those are some places to start. It's possible that your Ultralite is defective also, I had one that had to go back, the new one works better.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #452
Gear Head
 
Nspace's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx ➡️
I talked to two different techs, and they think my Ultralite has some unusual problem. The shipping box was smashed up anyway. So I'm going to try a brand new one on Wendesday, hopefully it will "just work." We'll see. I would be happy, because this is one of the best interfaces I've used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnzo ➡️
I'm having exact same issue with dropouts on a Lenovo Legion laptop Ryzen 4800H. Killed everything running, still getting dropouts just playing any music at all. Spotify desktop, web, bandcamp web, reaper, archetype nolly, doesn't matter.

I have not tried wifi off. You can recreate it by playing music and then changing a setting like the buffer in Cuemix. Exact same dropout.
Where have you acquired your faulty units monkeyxx and johnzo?
I suggest you message your units details between you. If your units supplier coincide and their serial number is close, there is a large possibility that they belong to the same production batch and are not single, unrelated faulty units.

If the former is the case, for transparency please do us actual and potential customers a big favor and share the info here.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #453
Here for the gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nspace ➡️
Where have you acquired your faulty units monkeyxx and johnzo?
I suggest you message your units details between you. If your units supplier coincide and their serial number is close, there is a large possibility that they belong to the same production batch and are not single, unrelated faulty units.

If the former is the case, for transparency please do us actual and potential customers a big favor and share the info here.
Purchased mine recently from Sweetwater. I would be extremely surprised if it was a hardware issue, but I guess I'll be returning my device. Not sure I want to start playing the device lotto and get another unit from the exact same distributor either if MOTU is even saying this is a HW issue. My box was not crushed or anything, everything was in pristine condition when received.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #454
Here for the gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnzo ➡️
I'm having exact same issue with dropouts on a Lenovo Legion laptop Ryzen 4800H. Killed everything running, still getting dropouts just playing any music at all. Spotify desktop, web, bandcamp web, reaper, archetype nolly, doesn't matter.

I have not tried wifi off. You can recreate it by playing music and then changing a setting like the buffer in Cuemix. Exact same dropout.
I just got one yesterday and it had that dropout issue when plugged into a USB 3.1 port(desktop on z270 intel motherboard - 7600k). The dropouts happened randomly and sometimes had beeps from my speakers before it happened. I'll try my usb 3.0 ports and see if the dropouts happen.

Plugging into usb 2.0 ports seemed to fix the issue and I haven't had a dropout since.
Old 1 week ago
  #455
Gear Head
 
Nspace's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnzo ➡️
Purchased mine recently from Sweetwater. I would be extremely surprised if it was a hardware issue, but I guess I'll be returning my device. Not sure I want to start playing the device lotto and get another unit from the exact same distributor either if MOTU is even saying this is a HW issue. My box was not crushed or anything, everything was in pristine condition when received.
johnzo, there are still too many unknown variables to single out a cause, let alone to question a new product.
My suggestion aimed to outline the possibility of a coincidence, not to blame or determine what is happening.

Apologies if it assumed that you and monkeyxx would be willing to check information that it could possibly lead to something.
Now i learn that you'd "be extremely surprised if it was a hardware issue", while in this case, I'd be surprised if it was not a configuration/system issue or a driver development one. The latter having a high possibility to soon be solved, since MOTU has voiced that is fully focused in this task and the recent updates prove it.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #456
Lives for gear
 
15 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nspace ➡️
I'd be surprised if it was not a configuration/system issue or a driver development one. The latter having a high possibility to soon be solved, since MOTU has voiced that is fully focused in this task and the recent updates prove it.
This. @ monkeyxx and @ johnzo are on on PC yes?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #457
Gear Head
 
graf's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcolou ➡️
I find the user experience on iPhone not very effective : you have to scroll on the interface to access the big virtual pot or slider that you are reaching for, without touching other pots, or you change some values by mistake.

I think a digital mixer like Tascam Model 12 may be more effective for this kind of use, as a standalone device.
Hi @ fcolou

Interesting and looks pretty good. I actually tested the Tascam 16x08. Both apparently use the same Ultra-HDDA preamps also found on Tascam's High End broadcast devices and it sounded pretty good and VERY close to the MOTU M4. I did some blind test with some friends (musicians) and they hardly could hear any difference. Though, MOTU was the winner. That's why i returned the 16x06 and bought the Ultralite MK5 for having even more dynamic range than the M4.

Do you have the Model 12?

Last edited by graf; 1 week ago at 09:30 AM..
Old 1 week ago
  #458
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
 
18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Windows/Sweetwater here, my replacement works fine so far. Fingers crossed. Haven't done a big session with it yet, just listening mostly, using the ASIO driver.
Old 1 week ago
  #459
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Hi graf, I choose Motu Ultralight Mk5 over Tascam Model 12 because I needed many hi quality DA conversions to my analog board.

Without the board I would have choosen Model 12, which is such a clever, versatile and user friendly piece of equipment. I favored sound quality over convenience, ergonomics and economics. I am not entirely conviced I did the better choice, because composing and jamming would be so much easier with Model 12, and maybe sound quality would have been sufficient. For critical sources, you can plug an outboard preamp to the inserts ins of channel 1 and 2, bypassing the input stage, straight to ADC of the little digital desk.

Some day I may sell my 26 channels EMT mixing console. If Model 12 was truly hybrid analog / digital, with analog summing, had Spdif and Adat ins and outs, motorized faders, I would have done that already. I wish Allen & Heath would update their GS-R24M with up to date conversion and protocol.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #460
Gear Head
 
graf's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcolou ➡️
Hi graf, I choose Motu Ultralight Mk5 over Tascam Model 12 because I needed many hi quality DA conversions to my analog board.

Without the board I would have choosen Model 12, which is such a clever, versatile and user friendly piece of equipment. I favored sound quality over convenience, ergonomics and economics. I am not entirely conviced I did the better choice, because composing and jamming would be so much easier with Model 12, and maybe sound quality would have been sufficient. For critical sources, you can plug an outboard preamp to the inserts ins of channel 1 and 2, bypassing the input stage, straight to ADC of the little digital desk.

Some day I may sell my 26 channels EMT mixing console. If Model 12 was truly hybrid analog / digital, with analog summing, had Spdif and Adat ins and outs, motorized faders, I would have done that already. I wish Allen & Heath would update their GS-R24M with up to date conversion and protocol.
I see we are in a very similar dilemma. I also choose the MK5 because of the high quality DAC and preamps. As labels nowadays rarely give you money for studio recordings (unless you are already in the charts) i need to be independent with high quality studio equipment (also high quality instruments) when it comes to produce my own music. The Tascam Model 12 looks great for an all-in-one live recording mixer, but maybe not suficient for my (professional) home recording needs.

I will try to get a cheap Intel based Windows tablet to operate CueMix 5 in standalone mode.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #461
Lives for gear
 
Calagan's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Did I miss something ? There is no make up gain in the CueMix DSP compressor ?
I don't think I will use that very often (and didn't use it until now), but it seems to be a bit strange.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #462
Gear Head
 
graf's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calagan ➡️
Did I miss something ? There is no make up gain in the CueMix DSP compressor ?
I don't think I will use that very often (and didn't use it until now), but it seems to be a bit strange.
No make up on compressor, no EQ on reverb, no this and no that. The MK 5 feels unfinished. Can't wait for the next firmware update.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #463
Here for the gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calagan ➡️
Did I miss something ? There is no make up gain in the CueMix DSP compressor ?
I don't think I will use that very often (and didn't use it until now), but it seems to be a bit strange.
Nope. You're not missing it.. CueMix is. It's stupid. It can't do any gain adjustments in the compression filter. You also cant apply compression or any effects to the PC usb main audio, or ADAT inputs. They removed those options. Why? I have no idea.

But if you mention here, people will tell you it's an "AVB feature" hahahaha

Cuemix is missing too many features. The hardware is good... the software is limited and frankly lacking too much. They removed too many features from the user.
Old 1 week ago
  #464
Here for the gear
 
I have swapped cables, wifi on/off, gone through this entire list https://motu.com/techsupport/technot...-windows-audio, uninstalled all other audio drivers, reinstalled the MOTU gen5 drivers. Disabled discrete GPU.

Still getting random audio dropouts in all apps. Reaper, spotify desktop, Firefox, etc.

All my USB ports are 3.1 gen 2. MOTU M4 worked perfectly fine with none of ^ these things touched or disabled. While I appreciate the hostile responses about a new interface being on its first drivers, there's not really any way for me to tell if it's a driver or the HW. An audio dropout is not typically something from a cold solder or HW. But this is also a tool, which currently is unusable in anyway. If I wish to return it I will do so, no need to get defensive.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #465
Here for the gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx ➡️
Windows/Sweetwater here, my replacement works fine so far. Fingers crossed. Haven't done a big session with it yet, just listening mostly, using the ASIO driver.
was your replacement from Sweetwater? or from MOTU directly
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #466
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
 
18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnzo ➡️
was your replacement from Sweetwater? or from MOTU directly
Both from Sweetwater.

Recording with the new one today. Very stable with Reaper. Sounds great, of course, and is a joy to work with.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #467
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx ➡️
Both from Sweetwater.

Recording with the new one today. Very stable with Reaper. Sounds great, of course, and is a joy to work with.
Please monkeyxxx, are you able to record at true 32 bit float from Ultralight Mk5 to Reaper ?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #468
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
 
18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcolou ➡️
Please monkeyxxx, are you able to record at true 32 bit float from Ultralight Mk5 to Reaper ?
Just checked my project settings it was at 24 bits.

Next time I record I'll try 32 bit floating point. Guess I never checked on this setting until now.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #469
Tui
Gear Guru
 
Tui's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnzo ➡️
While I appreciate the hostile responses ...
What..?

You're right, though, there's too much hostility floating about - on a musician's forum!
Old 1 week ago
  #470
Here for the gear
 
Think I figured out one of the factors with the audio dropouts. In Cuemix, on the Device settings screen, you can select the windows audio streams. I have multiple outputs going to different devices, and different mixes selected here as well. I had a Main Mix (monitors), Phones mix (headphones on the MK5), and Line 3-4 (going to a Cranborne EC2 for more headphone outs). To hear audio streaming from the PC/Windows, you have to select one of these in the volume mixer icon in the task tray.

I removed all options here except one, the line 3-4 out. Dropouts have reduced considerably. Still hear one every now and then, but it's much less frequent. Can go 30+ minutes without one. With multiple audio streams enabled via CueMix and appearing as options in Windows for Playback, the dropouts are every few minutes.
Old 5 days ago
  #471
Here for the gear
 
New firmware is available for the MK5. Go update.

v1.0.4+1845 (Release Date 2021-06-08)

Improved clipping behavior with phase invert turned on.
Fixed an occasional issue with startup after soft power on, where inputs would be scrambled or contain static.
Fixed repeated buffer when connected to powered USB hub, and hub is disconnected from host.
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
  #472
Lives for gear
 
Calagan's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS3D ➡️
New firmware is available for the MK5. Go update.

v1.0.4+1845 (Release Date 2021-06-08)

Improved clipping behavior with phase invert turned on.
Fixed an occasional issue with startup after soft power on, where inputs would be scrambled or contain static.
Fixed repeated buffer when connected to powered USB hub, and hub is disconnected from host.
And new drivers too for mac, that seems to fix an issue when watching video online...
But nothing for windows since ages...
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
  #473
Here for the gear
 
I've seen Topping D30 Pro mentioned here... would this DAC be suitable for mixing and mastering ? Maybe someone here can cover this. There are positive reviews from consumer side of things...
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
  #474
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG7 ➡️
I've seen Topping D30 Pro mentioned here... would this DAC be suitable for mixing and mastering ? Maybe someone here can cover this. There are positive reviews from consumer side of things...
Topping D30 Pro compares favourably to Apogee Symphony Mk1 and Motu Ultralight Mk5, at least to my ears. It is very natural sounding, breathing DAC that retains all the emotions of the music. The stereo image and low levels presence are something really special. It is not an analytical DAC, like Motu Ultralight Mk5 is.

You certainly can use it for mastering, especially if you go to an analog mastering chain. It will enhance your output with its native 384 kHz 32 bit oversampling.

I believe Motu Mk5 would work as an In The Box mastering DAC, because it is very precise and reveals all the details that you need to hear, especially in the low mids where it is not forgiving any muddiness.

One thing to consider : Topping D30 Pro maximum output level is 6 dB lower than the 21 dBu of Motu Ultralight Mk5.

Last edited by fcolou; 3 days ago at 11:07 AM..
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
  #475
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcolou ➡️
Topping D30 Pro compares favourably to Apogee Symphony Mk1 and Motu Ultralight Mk5, at least to my ears. It is very natural sounding, breathing DAC that retains all the emotions of the music. It is not an analytical DAC, like Motu Ultralight Mk5 is. The stereo image and low levels presence are something really special.



You certainly can use it for mastering, especially if you go to an analog mastering chain. It will enhance your output with its native 384 kHz 32 bit oversampling.

I believe Motu Mk5 would work as an In The Box mastering DAC, because it is very precise and reveals all the details that you need to hear, especially in the low mids where it is not forgiving any muddiness.

One thing to consider : Topping D30 Pro maximum output level is 6 dB lower than the 21 dBu of Motu Ultralight Mk5.
MOTUs top tier AVB line esp their 16A has always been compared to the 1st gen Apogee Symphony. Plenty of threads on that. MOTU really stepped their game up for sure that leap frogged everyone including RME in digital conversion at a reasonable price that takes on converters that are in the 3k to 4k range that puts them to shame.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
  #476
Lives for gear
 
Ossicle's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Does anyone have a clue why the MOTU 8A AVB is more expensive than the Ultralite mk5?

Has anyone compared the sound quality (line level) of those?

Someone said the mk5 has an exciting bright sound. I hope it's not hyped, just detailed. (I much dislike the bright sound of my old Apogee Duet).

Thanks.

Last edited by Ossicle; 3 days ago at 05:30 PM..
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
  #477
Lives for gear
 
Calagan's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossicle ➡️
Does anyone have a clue why the MOTU 8A AVB is more expensive than the Ultralite mk5?

Has anyone compared the sound quality (line level) of those?

Someone said the mk5 has an exciting bright sound. I hope it's not hyped, just detailed. (I much dislike the bright sound of my old Apogee Duet).

Thanks.
I don't know about the 8A, but regarding the "bright sound" of the Ulmk5, to me it sounds very neutral and very detailed. No hype, no colour, just very good !
But of course I can only compare to the audio interfaces I used in the past, that were never high-end stuff (Saffire pro, Clarett, M2).
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
  #478
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossicle ➡️
Does anyone have a clue why the MOTU 8A AVB is more expensive than the Ultralite mk5?

Has anyone compared the sound quality (line level) of those?

Someone said the mk5 has an exciting bright sound. I hope it's not hyped, just detailed. (I much dislike the bright sound of my old Apogee Duet).

Thanks.
Because it's part of the higher end AVB Pro Audio line. The AVB stuff is the highest you can go up in the food chain geared towards the Pro Audio / Commercial market for large scale deployment over ethernet that isn't much any different than Focusrites higher end RedNet and Red Dante interfaces.

The 8A is simply just a half rack version of the 16A. It just has half the i/o of the 16A. The 16A is mostly used as a Line AD / DA converter in a professional studio for connecting analog outboard with complex setups that needs a lot of I/O. The 16A is also used a lot for expanding the i/o of a primary AVB interface via a simple ethernet cable opposed to ADAT. Eventally the entire AVB Pro Audio line will get a refresh with updated converters since its initial launch in 2014. The 8PRE-ES and 828ES are still fairly new to the line up though.

The Ultralite is an entry level professional mid level interface which is your mid tier stuff. The M series is more on the Prosumer side.
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
  #479
Lives for gear
 
Ossicle's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasami08 ➡️
Because it's part of the higher end AVB Pro Audio line. The AVB stuff is the highest you can go up in the food chain geared towards the Pro Audio / Commercial market for large scale deployment over ethernet that isn't much any different than Focusrites higher end RedNet and Red Dante interfaces.

The 8A is simply just a half rack version of the 16A that's used mostly as a Line AD / DA converter in a professional studio for connecting analog outboard with complex setups that needs a lot of I/O. The 16A is also used a lot for expanding the i/o of a primary AVB interface via a simple ethernet cable opposed to ADAT.

The Ultralite is an entry level professional mid level interface which is your mid tier stuff. The M series is more on the Prosumer side.
The Motu Ultralite AVB (699 eur in Europe) also costs much less than the 8A (866 eur), so it's not the AVB alone that explains the price difference. The UL mk5 (759 eur) and the 8A seem to have the same converters, yet the 8A has less features and is still more expensive.

So why is it part of the higher end AVB Pro Audio line, as you say?

Is there a sound quality difference?
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
  #480
Gear Maniac
8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossicle ➡️
The Motu Ultralite AVB (699 eur in Europe) also costs much less than the 8A (866 eur), so it's not the AVB alone that explains the price difference. The UL mk5 (759 eur) and the 8A seem to have the same converters, yet the 8A has less features and is still more expensive.

So why is it part of the higher end AVB Pro Audio line, as you say?

Is there a sound quality difference?
It's a different animal from the standard Ultralite hense why their are two different variants. The AVB version has an Ethernet port for Audio over Ethernet, matrix routing etc. Same with the 828ES and 8PRE-ES that's part of the AVB line up. The standard 828 and 8pre hasn't been updated yet as the 828X that came out in 2014 is still in production. The Mk5 Ultralite is basically an updated Mk3 that ran Cuemix. The Ultralite in general was historically never part of MOTUs top tier interfaces, it's always been a mid level product same with the 8pre and 828. The Ultralite is basically an entry mid level interface from the 828.

Every since Focusrite launch the REDNET modular interfaces, MOTU branched out in to Audio Networking with the launch of an entirely different line of high end interfaces that replaced the legacy PCI HD192, stuff. So really the 16A replaced the HD192 but its a lot more advanced with audio networking.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 4946 views: 1328287
Avatar for Lince Palido
Lince Palido 15 hours ago
replies: 371 views: 52363
Avatar for wolfger
wolfger 1 week ago
replies: 115 views: 4642
Avatar for Tnsl
Tnsl 19th December 2020
replies: 4 views: 286
Avatar for speed12
speed12 4 weeks ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump