The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Massenburg DesignWorks MDWEQ6 VST/AU Native
Old 10th March 2021
Lives for gear

Massenburg DesignWorks MDWEQ6 VST/AU Native

MDWEQ6 The Professional EQ Tool
State of the Art Sound Quality in Digital Equalization
Now Available in Pro Tools AAX DSP & Native, VST and AU Plugin Formats

Introducing MDWEQ6 with unprecedented clarity, smoothness, accuracy and excellent high-frequency response providing an unparalleled tool for serious audio production.

Developed by the creator of the parametric EQ, George Massenburg, the Massenburg DesignWorks Hi-Res Parametric EQ6 plug-in defines the state-of-the-art in equalization.

Introducing MDWEQ6, Massenburg DesignWorks latest and best digital parametric equalizer, now available for Pro Tools AAX, VST and AU applications. Performance-enhanced for over 15 years by professional mixers for all mixers with professional expectations. With traditional performance, new enhancements and next-generation features, this is the EQ that covers all the requirements, current and future.

Built on the venerable MDW filter-form the MDWEQ6 includes a host of new features including a new active spectrum display, new high and low pass filters, and high Q shelves with sharper transitions.

https://massenburgdesignworks.com/products/mdweq6/

Buy MDWEQ6-Native+ (Pro Tools AAX Native, VST & AU) plug-in perpetual (full) license - iLok2 or 3 required for $199

https://massenburgdesignworks.com/shop/

Attached Thumbnails
Massenburg DesignWorks MDWEQ6 VST/AU Native-massenberg.jpg  
Old 10th March 2021
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Is there a trial/demo available?
Old 10th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvalmont ➡️
Sorry, you’re about a year late to the party. Massenburg MDWEQ v6 is out
I did the same double-take. No, that was AAX Native/DSP only.

This is VST and AU.
Old 10th March 2021
Gear Nut

Oh, man. I'm a fan. I'll get it when I can. That's my plan.
Old 10th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I bought an update from V5 in order for it to be cross platform as I have left PT train and only use an older version of PT for compatibility with some of my clients. Didn't miss MDW it while I have't been using it, but still decided to make an upgrade and maybe revisit it.

So after trying MDW after a long time to be honest, it simply is the most basic 90ies digital EQ with significant cramping. Having EQuilibrium, Crave EQ, Fabfilter, Voxengo EQs and Softube Weiss (MP), MDW will definitely not see any use like Waves Q10 doesn't nowadays. After comparing it out with latest Sonnox Oxford EQ I actually prefer Sonnox as it doesn't cramp as badly.

Last edited by Jantex; 10th March 2021 at 10:44 AM..
Old 10th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Oh my god that GUI. Yikes.
Lives for gear

It really cramps? How? I thought MDWEQ6 would be a one to one hardware filter behavoir emulation. Can anybody confirm that?

PS
I like the GUI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex ➡️
I bought an update from V5 in order for it to be cross platform as I have left PT train and only use an older version of PT for compatibility with some of my clients. Didn't miss MDW it while I have't been using it, but still decided to make an upgrade and maybe revisit it.

So after trying MDW after a long time to be honest, it simply is the most basic 90ies digital EQ with significant cramping. Having EQuilibrium, Crave EQ, Fabfilter, Voxengo EQs and Softube Weiss (MP), MDW will definitely not see any use like Waves Q10 doesn't nowadays. After comparing it out with latest Sonnox Oxford EQ I actually prefer Sonnox as it doesn't cramp as badly.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichttuntun ➡️
It really cramps? How? I thought MDWEQ6 would be a one to one hardware emulation. Can anybody confirm that?

PS
I like the GUI.
It is not a HW emulation, it is an old digital EQ, that got some usability refinements with V6. But compared to other modern digital EQs it simply lags behind in all aspects. I am sorry to say this, but while price decreased dramatically from what it used to cost with Avid a decade ago, it is still way too high compared to the competition. But obviously it has a "vintage" status in the plugin world

It's peaks cramp like it used to be a norm with early digital filter implementations (like old Waves, Maat BlueEq, Oxford EQ - this one actually received some algo updates later to improve upon this cramping behaviour). Some might even like this type of sound because they got used to it (I am happy that I can avoid it these days), but calling this plugin transparent is not exactly the correct term to describe it, especially using it in the higher registers.
Old 10th March 2021
Lives for gear
$200 for a basic EQ that looks like straight from Windows 95? Wow, what a time to be alive
Old 10th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Before everyone starts bashing it and looking at curves (which by the way only visibly cramp at sample rates starting at 88.2kHz), why don’t you listen to the way it sounds? Try a narrow q boost in the low end for example and you’ll definitely hear the difference. This thing is PUNCHY.
Old 10th March 2021
Lives for gear

I'm convinced that it sounds good as I heard good things about it from reliable sources.
Old 10th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I don’t care it cramps or not. It is the punchiest eq I have ever used in my life.
Old 10th March 2021
Deleted f17722d
I just downloaded and installed, but can't find a means of activating a demo. Is there a demo for this?
Old 10th March 2021
Here for the gear

Does this mean my Sonnox EQ vst will finally be getting the GML curves??
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by leckel1996 ➡️
Before everyone starts bashing it and looking at curves (which by the way only visibly cramp at sample rates starting at 88.2kHz), why don’t you listen to the way it sounds? Try a narrow q boost in the low end for example and you’ll definitely hear the difference. This thing is PUNCHY.
Punchy, as in "it's filters ring like crazy!" or opposite?
Old 10th March 2021
Gear Addict

too little, too late
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic ➡️
Punchy, as in "it's filters ring like crazy!" or opposite?
Punchy meaning when you do larger amounts of processing it seems to affect transients less. So less ringing would be my guess. It doesn’t make sense, but try emailing them and trying it for yourself.
Old 10th March 2021
Lives for gear

10 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Any upgrade path for UAD version?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by leckel1996 ➡️
Punchy meaning when you do larger amounts of processing it seems to affect transients less. So less ringing would be my guess. It doesn’t make sense, but try emailing them and trying it for yourself.
Awesome! Thanks for the info.

Yeah, usually punchy to me means there is less smearing/ringing. Some people however seem to define punchy "as more solid, more "tone", which could mean more ringing. Definitely will test this at some point.
Old 10th March 2021
Gear Maniac

If the algorithms for the bell filters are the same as before this is a truly wasted release. I have the UAD version and its not the most exiting eq there is, far from it.
Old 10th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Nothing beats this EQ for finding problems and getting rid of them. If all you're doing is boosting and wanting colour this isn't the EQ.

If all you're after is a pretty picture on the screen to make you feel good, this isn't the EQ.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
idk about any technical curves or cramping stuff all i know is that it is the most transparent EQ when it comes to surgical work. You can do cuts and it still sounds natural and like it was part of the sound to begin with.

more so than equilibrium/fabfilter/etc (which are all great but start to sound funny when u go beyond 3db of cut)
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowak ➡️
I didn't say it wasn't good at boosting, I said if you're boosting and wanting colour this isn't the the EQ for you.

But please, go ahead and continue being a sarcastic smart arse.
Thanks, I'll leave you with this end_of_all_plugin, take it easy
Old 11th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Guys make no mistake and do a bit of homework

George Massenburg, the man and engineer behind MDWEQ
is the inventor of parametric EQ back in 1972 as well as the engineer behind songs like this

It´s not just another pointless EQ plugin with fancy metering
it´s the real deal from someone who constantly develops
his products between recording / mixing sessions and in collaboration
with the best engineers of our trade.

If you mainly EQ electronic bassdrums then fabfilter probably will do for you.
If you deal with well recorded real instruments - have a try with MDW.
You´ll be surprised !
Old 11th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Oh yes, it´s got punch like nothing else -
I even sold my 8200 for it and never looked back.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvalmont ➡️
Sorry, you’re about a year late to the party. Massenburg MDWEQ v6 is out
That was a private aax party
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted f17722d ➡️
I just downloaded and installed, but can't find a means of activating a demo. Is there a demo for this?
You need to contact their team, they will deposite trial license to your account.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman ➡️
Guys make no mistake and do a bit of homework

George Massenburg, the man and engineer behind MDWEQ
is the inventor of parametric EQ back in 1972 as well as the engineer behind songs like this

It´s not just another pointless EQ plugin with fancy metering
it´s the real deal from someone who constantly develops
his products between recording / mixing sessions and in collaboration
with the best engineers of our trade.

If you mainly EQ electronic bassdrums then fabfilter probably will do for you.
If you deal with well recorded real instruments - have a try with MDW.
You´ll be surprised !
George is a great engineer and also great electrical circuit designer but he is not a PhD in DSP development. So stupid statement, really. It is just another digital EQ that can be nulled easily without hassle with Fabfilter, that you mentioned.
Old 11th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
2 questions ...

It says VST .. ok ... is is VST-2 or VST3 ??

then ... George, lots of earned respect and all .... but there has to be a DEMO/TRAIL. [or the Web site needs to be updated].
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowak ➡️
Nothing beats this EQ for finding problems and getting rid of them. If all you're doing is boosting and wanting colour this isn't the EQ.

If all you're after is a pretty picture on the screen to make you feel good, this isn't the EQ.
That's backed by a German engineer too, referring to its power, especially when cutting with this one.

@ RJHollins

A good and uncomplicated demo is a must, there is no debate about that and no argue for not having this.
📝 Reply