Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Oops, indeed he his.

Thanks DC
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Sarcastic examples do not null so your premise is false.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
I don't care why, but this thing pulls reaaaaally narrow notches out like nothing else I have tried in the box, and without killing the basic tone of the source. Much prefer pulling narrow ones with this to using dynamic eq to clean up rezzy rings. With or without bugs, this thing is worth it just for that. Let's hope we get a more stable update eventually.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I'm in the process of trialing it now. I think it does need some "quality of life" updates. The GUI resizable would be very nice, and being able to adjust the Q with mouse wheel would be nice. Those two things alone would help
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssamson ➡️
I'm mastering a record and this one track needed a cluster of notches in the midrange, around 400-600Hz. Super important and sensitive range, obviously, and the notches were close together. I tried all my usual Linear Phase EQs and they were all doing far too much nasty ringing to be usable. So I tried minimum phase. My current favourites are Weiss MP and MAAT Blue. I decided to throw the MDW in the mix as I was getting desperate to find something that worked (usual suspects of MAAT Orange and Weiss EQ1 already hadn't done the trick). The MDW slayed the Weiss MP. Like, killed it dead. I was so shocked I had to come on here to mention it! I've been using the Weiss MP on virtually every track since it came out. It's become my bog standard mixing channel EQ, for which it is very good.. I think.. I assumed it would be more than passable on a master. But 5 notches in the midrange and the Weiss was a hollow mess whereas the MDW sounded "un-EQ'd". I know other people have said this on here and it seems like a clique but it's the first time I've experienced it and it's bloody well true. I think it's important to mention that for 1 or 2 bands it was really hard to tell anything. But on a 5 notch clusterfudge it really separated the wheat from the chaff. I literally said "Oh S*it" out loud.
That very much describes my experience with the GML 8200. It's the only EQ where I've been able to do mutiple notches or deep cuts in the midrange and still have it sound like it wasn't EQ'd. It shapes the sound but it's still just very natural sounding almost no matter what I do. No plugin has ever matched it.

Now I really need to find time to try MDWEQ6. A couple things threw me off on the demo so I decided to come back later. There's no option to authorize to the computer so I have to track down my iLok key (I finally got rid of all my plugins that require the key a while back). Also, when I was trying to install the demo it said it needed to restart the computer, so I'll want to do a full backup first. Not sure why any plugin would need to restart on installation.

..ant
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by antstudio ➡️
That very much describes my experience with the GML 8200. It's the only EQ where I've been able to do mutiple notches or deep cuts in the midrange and still have it sound like it wasn't EQ'd. It shapes the sound but it's still just very natural sounding almost no matter what I do. No plugin has ever matched it.
I agree with a previous poster in that I think there is some clever and maybe somehow “forgiving” interaction between the bands. I reckon that’s part of the secret sauce. It’s basically the only thing I use for any midrange notches now.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
I don't care why, but this thing pulls reaaaaally narrow notches out like nothing else I have tried in the box, and without killing the basic tone of the source. Much prefer pulling narrow ones with this to using dynamic eq to clean up rezzy rings. With or without bugs, this thing is worth it just for that. Let's hope we get a more stable update eventually.
I’ve never discovered an EQ that works for me with notches and I always end up down a rabbit hole and start losing the plot by finding too many problem frequencies. I I inevitably come to the conclusion that it was better before and find another solution. Even with one simple cut I often find it creates more problems than it solves - probably my dodgy ears!

I can believe that MDW would be the one to do it though.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I like MDW for regular EQ'ing ... whether broad stroke or narrower.

Something that has also changed are some of the new 'dynamic' tools that, combined, have vastly eliminated the
need to do so much surgery.

These fast, dynamic, processes also prevent the 'strangeness' that can often result when using a static correction.

MDW may be more forgiving in that regard ... but I think the real strength is in its' transparent shaping.

I'd put it in the same category as the WEISS-eQ.

Neither of these would be the only EQ's I would want as a limit ... but an excellent job could still happen if they were the only EQ used.

There are plenty of 'character' eq's out there [some much better than other's] ... that area doesn't seem an issue for me ...

It has been these, so called, 'clean, transparent' eq's ... without sounding cold and sterile, or one dimensional, and can deliver at each ends of
the spectrum. [cutting and boosting].

That said ... this MDW needs an UPDATE !! There is the GUI size, which should be adjustable in this day and age. There are also RE-DRAW issues, where
settings are changed, but don't show [I have to leave the display, and then return to see the A->B switching].

The mouse-wheel only works after viewing the SETTINGS page .... but if you leave, and come back to MDW ... the mouse-wheel doesn't work ... unless
you go back to SETTINGS.

Sadly ... we don't seem to get any visits from George, or anyone from MDW design visiting the threads here.

They made their presents known BEFORE the release .... rather disappointing.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I cant decide if i should invest in mdweq or in maat blue.

I use weiss alot on vocals and other "softer" sources, but I want sth lighter on the CPU. Sth to go along with weiss.

I dont like maats Business decisions and I dont like mdw's gui. Soundwise both a great.

Both demos run out already. So I just have to decide.
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alibling ➡️
I cant decide if i should invest in mdweq or in maat blue.

I use weiss alot on vocals and other "softer" sources, but I want sth lighter on the CPU. Sth to go along with weiss.

I dont like maats Business decisions and I dont like mdw's gui. Soundwise both a great.

Both demos run out already. So I just have to decide.
If you want lighter on cpu - maybe MDW would be better, especially if you enable FiDef. MAAT Blue is similar to Weiss Mp, cpu wise in this mode.

The new Blue (3.1) is outstanding but it’s not without bugs. If latency is an issue, that also works in MDWs favour.

Good luck making your decision!
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrustycans ➡️
I’ve never discovered an EQ that works for me with notches and I always end up down a rabbit hole and start losing the plot by finding too many problem frequencies. I I inevitably come to the conclusion that it was better before and find another solution. Even with one simple cut I often find it creates more problems than it solves - probably my dodgy ears!

I can believe that MDW would be the one to do it though.
Yup, happens to me too. With plugins. Usually comes back off again as the win lose equation tends to be crap. But this thing stays on often. Not always. But a lot.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yup, happens to me too. With plugins. Usually comes back off again as the win lose equation tends to be crap. But this thing stays on often. Not always. But a lot.
This is interesting and something I've always wondered about. I'm hoping someone with a better understanding of EQ's can help me understand why this is....

If I remove resonances and problem frequencies on a piano for instance -- it tends to unmask other frequencies that are crap and then it's like playing frequency "whack a mole" until the whole thing just sounds like **** and I have to start over. It also loses almost of all the excitement in the track too. It's one of the reasons I didn't purchase Soothe, because I just felt like it was going overboard even when used lightly.

Why is this case? Is this something to do with the type of EQ I'm using? Is it only something that happens with plug ins vs hardware?

If MDW solves this problem somehow then that'd be huge.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 ➡️
This is interesting and something I've always wondered about. I'm hoping someone with a better understanding of EQ's can help me understand why this is....

If I remove resonances and problem frequencies on a piano for instance -- it tends to unmask other frequencies that are crap and then it's like playing frequency "whack a mole" until the whole thing just sounds like **** and I have to start over. It also loses almost of all the excitement in the track too. It's one of the reasons I didn't purchase Soothe, because I just felt like it was going overboard even when used lightly.

Why is this case? Is this something to do with the type of EQ I'm using? Is it only something that happens with plug ins vs hardware?

If MDW solves this problem somehow then that'd be huge.
Yup, I hate the whack a mole game. Kills everything. And to me Soothe didn't work either. Also kills everything good about something to me. Not a price I want to pay to make something 'smooth'.

To me this is less problematic with (good) hardware eq, as then the body and intent of the sound doesn't necessarily get killed when notching a problem out a bit. Stays physical and speaks the same, just a little more focused without the notched thing. But mostly with plugs, the physicality of the sound and hence how it speaks changes, and shlt dies for me, basically.

The MDW for me is the best plug I know for taking out a couple of issues without necessarily killing off the sound's intent and soul. Doesn't always work, and still not like hardware in the physicality way, but very often does work well enough to stay on and call it 'solved'. It has a sort of syrupy sound, but it keeps the shape of the original very similar. That syrup is classy though, too, if not entirely neutral.

Why is this the case? F knows. lol I don't really need to know why, I am good with knowing that. Often working out 'what is' is enough. No need for 'why'. For me, anyway.

As a side note I reckon taking notches needs to happen in context of mix, not before making a first balance as some do. As which things are actually problems/obstacles to the flow and overall feel of the music (which would be THE reason to lose them) doesn't become apparent before, and the other stuff is juice that shouldn't be dialled away, as it lessens the power of emotion to dial out too much stuff that needn't be cut, really. Shlt just gets weak.
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Basically, what you're talking about - and complaining about - is "the sound of digital".

Unless the underlying technology changes, those issues of unfixable frequency- and phase issues will not go away. Digital just sounds brash, clangy and hollow. Good converters help - a little.

With analogue, you simply plugged in a microphone, pressed record and there was your sound. The original source was so good that mixing from that vantage point was easy.

Now, you end up tweaking and tweaking and tweaking and the more you "improve" your mix, the worse it gets. I'm sure we've all been there.

I find, the only way around it is using the best source possible - audio recordings or VIs - and only select plugins per channel that have a clearly defined purpose.

Invest in good FX, good reverb in particular.

However, nobody will ever hear if you used this or that $200 EQ... Even YOU won't hear it in your own mixes, in a couple of years from now, I can guarantee it.

Leave the final sweetening to a professional mastering engineer. Pay someone with a lot of experience to give your recordings that final polish.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui ➡️
Pay someone with a lot of experience to give your recordings that final polish.
It's my job
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Notching resonances is just one technique out of many
to finetune tracks.

Not only does it take years of experience,
it also heavily depends on your material.

It can help if you used fine mics, preamps and converters before.
If any of these or the music itself is the weak link
you better go back to tracking.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yup, I hate the whack a mole game. Kills everything. And to me Soothe didn't work either. Also kills everything good about something to me. Not a price I want to pay to make something 'smooth'.

To me this is less problematic with (good) hardware eq, as then the body and intent of the sound doesn't necessarily get killed when notching a problem out a bit. Stays physical and speaks the same, just a little more focused without the notched thing. But mostly with plugs, the physicality of the sound and hence how it speaks changes, and shlt dies for me, basically.

The MDW for me is the best plug I know for taking out a couple of issues without necessarily killing off the sound's intent and soul. Doesn't always work, and still not like hardware in the physicality way, but very often does work well enough to stay on and call it 'solved'. It has a sort of syrupy sound, but it keeps the shape of the original very similar. That syrup is classy though, too, if not entirely neutral.

Why is this the case? F knows. lol I don't really need to know why, I am good with knowing that. Often working out 'what is' is enough. No need for 'why'. For me, anyway.

As a side note I reckon taking notches needs to happen in context of mix, not before making a first balance as some do. As which things are actually problems/obstacles to the flow and overall feel of the music (which would be THE reason to lose them) doesn't become apparent before, and the other stuff is juice that shouldn't be dialled away, as it lessens the power of emotion to dial out too much stuff that needn't be cut, really. Shlt just gets weak.
I’ve not got along with Soothe or any of the other spectral resonance tools. They always seem to do way too much damage - especially on vocals for me.

I find that when you have problematic vocals, the more you try to process and fix every imperfection, the worse it can get and you realise it maybe wasn’t that bad in the first place after you removed all the compression, dynamic EQ, saturation, spectral tool, de-harsher, de-humidifier....

Has anyone tested MDW vs MAAT Blue for surgical cuts? My MDW trial expired today and never got the chance to compare.

I could get a trial of UAD MDW5 I guess..
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrustycans ➡️
I’ve not got along with Soothe or any of the other spectral resonance tools. They always seem to do way too much damage - especially on vocals for me.

Has anyone tested MDW vs MAAT Blue for surgical cuts? My MDW trial expired today and never got the chance to compare.

I could get a trial of UAD MDW5 I guess..
It’s been a while since I shot them out intensely but I’ve settled on MDW for notches and Blue for “normal” broadstroke stuff and I love working this way (I also use emulation stuff, Softube Trident A-Range, Softube Chandler Curve Bender, Vertigo Sound VSE-2, PSP E27, Noise Ash Rule Tec when appropriate). Often this means MDW scattered across the mix and a few Blues on busses. I also prefer blue on vocals.

This isn’t to say that blue is bad at notching by any means; it’s excellent in fact, better than FabFilter, Equilibrium, etc.

Part of it is that as ugly as it is, the MDW GUI somehow inspires me to be just fast and dirty, no nonsense, push those resonances down 3-4dB and bang, move on, no tweaking, no agonizing. Blue’s GUI is inarguably better in every way, and yet... maybe it’s just me.

The above withstanding I feel like MDW gets pigeonholed as “great for notches,” which it is but it’s also dang good at broad strokes, boosting included. It is KILLER at making kicks into monster kicks; 2dB boost at 50Hz thumps like crazy while still sounding razor sharp; 2dB shelf boost at 2kHz wakes up snares, pianos, whatever, invisibly and cleanly; 2dB bump at 8kHz puts air in vocals without sounding reedy; etc etc. MDW isn’t just great for notches, it’s great for everything.

Anyway buy MDW if you want fast working and nearly invisible EQ, or buy Blue if you want fast working and a sound that is similarly invisible but somehow beautiful and deep... or buy both because they work fantastically together
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

From what I hear, MDWEQ6 gives some emphasis to the highs an also to the transients.

Best,
Daniel.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielbest1 ➡️
From what I hear, MDWEQ6 gives some emphasis to the highs an also to the transients.

Best,
Daniel.
Not sure of that ... but the MDW can sure be punchy.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm a big fan of soothe but I use it lightly; just sort of knocking some things down a few db when they get outta hand. I don't feel like it's meant to chop out big chunks. If that type of thing is needed, then that job is for regular eqs, IMO. if I can hear soothe working hard, then I'm not using the right tool.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Funny how brand new plug-in companies come dancing on the scene with a few problems in their GUI...And yet this one that I’ve had in some form since 2010 or whenever it came out is so weird and old-school, almost defiantly so… I have the update I got on it pretty early there was always a loud click when I engage the hi pass filter so I have that unengaged on default
Like it .. perhaps I use it a lot more often for the reason of how much I paid for it… Or the fact that I guess I like George
Old 4 days ago
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
Brand new plug-in companies don't need to be concerned with backward compatibility issues.
📝 Reply