Gear Addict
Still no demo
Old 9th April 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by To Mega Therion ➡️
Still no demo
Don't they have an automated demo process yet?
Old 9th April 2021
Here for the gear

Absolutely in love with this EQ. Sounds like a combination of ProQ3's Natural Phase Mode combined with the punchy-clarity of BigFREQ, except it's got the abillity to completely preserve transients throughout the entire frequency, time and phase domains no matter what I seem to throw at it, which is a big plus, all the while consuming literally less than a single percent of CPU per instance (compared with an on-average 12% CPU hit I get from BigFREQ). It's the sharpest sounding EQ I have in my tool-kit. It does that clean digital thing, which, to say is that it simply does not cause any smearing or colouration to the program material (which you may not actually want). Regardless, it simply is the cleanest EQ I've heard to my ears. Unless I require Pro-Q3 (still in natural phase mode) for dynamic duties, this is my new goto workhorse EQ. If colour is what you want, I'd recommend BigFREQ or something with 'tubes', or combine with something like True Iron for some next level wizardry.

Good Hunting everyone!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman ➡️
I can not remember
mdw doing discounts in the last 10 years hehe
I can't either.

It would be real cool if he sent everyone who got burned by supporting him up to a few weeks before his sale a $50 discount on his comp plugin.

It's wishful thinking because
A. He's probably not giving anything, and
B. Who knows when his comp will be released.

(Still, it would be a way to build good will with customers and not have any cash out of pocket.)
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK ➡️
I can't either.

It would be real cool if he sent everyone who got burned by supporting him up to a few weeks before his sale a $50 discount on his comp plugin.

(Still, it would be a way to build good will with customers and not have any cash out of pocket.)
Well, if I had bought it after specifically being told there would be only one price when I asked about sales, and then found it 50 down the next week, I would most definitely have asked for the 50 back. Luckily I didn't. Still might for 50 less though. ;-)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
Well, if I had bought it after specifically being told there would be only one price when I asked about sales, and then found it 50 down the next week, I would most definitely have asked for the 50 back. Luckily I didn't. Still might for 50 less though. ;-)
As one Big Freq fan to another - are you liking the MDW as much as Big Freq?

I really do not need another EQ but I'm sort of wondering how this sounds and trying not to demo it....
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 ➡️
As one Big Freq fan to another - are you liking the MDW as much as Big Freq?

I really do not need another EQ but I'm sort of wondering how this sounds and trying not to demo it....
It won't replace the Big for me. It does have its own superpowers though, and they work very well together. Might have to get it. It gets things to sit in a different and complimentary place. Very few seconds instantly tell which one of the two will get the sound into the imagined pocket easier, and after that the other one won't likely beat that out to reverse it. I thought for a minute my Flux Epure could do what it does, and it is sort of in the area, but no cigar. This thing is useful for sure and totally has its own magic, but it would be joining the team, not taking over the helm.

I reckon if you demo it you will buy it. But also, to me it stays very simple as in doesn't add to decision testing workflow bullshlt, it flows in as part of the team in a great way, says 'no, not for me this one' within a second and gone, or goes 'yup, this one MINE' and stays. And when it does that it beats the Big.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush ➡️
The ignorance from basement recordists here is so disappointing. Posters write how they need it cheap and cheerful.

How they need it to have everything different from what it has.

Ignorance from people who can't even mix cement.
You have contributing posts like this for two decades now.

- c
Old 10th April 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I can't either.

I think they are in a learning phase.
Until now they only had the avid dsp market which is totally different than the faster growing and more demanding native market.
We should give them a chance to do it right - I think they can get many good suggestions from this forum.

Personally I have hope for them to learn.
I never ever thought they would release the MDWEQ native -
10 years ago George denied he would do VST / AU - mainly for security reasons.
These are all good signs.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya ➡️
You have contributing posts like this for two decades now.

- c
Well I got spank from plush in my earlier years on gs too.
And right he was - Plush definetly has one or two things to say...sometimes you understand them only after a decade of doing wrong things ; )
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
It won't replace the Big for me. It does have its own superpowers though, and they work very well together. Might have to get it. It gets things to sit in a different and complimentary place. Very few seconds instantly tell which one of the two will get the sound into the imagined pocket easier, and after that the other one won't likely beat that out to reverse it. I thought for a minute my Flux Epure could do what it does, and it is sort of in the area, but no cigar. This thing is useful for sure and totally has its own magic, but it would be joining the team, not taking over the helm.

I reckon if you demo it you will buy it. But also, to me it stays very simple as in doesn't add to decision testing workflow bullshlt, it flows in as part of the team in a great way, says 'no, not for me this one' within a second and gone, or goes 'yup, this one MINE' and stays. And when it does that it beats the Big.
Damnit. Now I gotta demo it.
Old 11th April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
And how many authorizations do we get when buying this....? The mdweq 5 version only gave us 1...
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Cheapies stop complaining. The asking price is not expensive.

Cheapies cannot even mix cement.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigisland ➡️
And how many authorizations do we get when buying this....? The mdweq 5 version only gave us 1...
2 authorizations
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Being in the middle of several projects I hadn't gotten around to actually trying out MDW until today. You all know how it is; I don't want to put anything in an active project because if I like it then I'll have to buy it. That's how they get you! ;-)

I'm mastering a record and this one track needed a cluster of notches in the midrange, around 400-600Hz. Super important and sensitive range, obviously, and the notches were close together. I tried all my usual Linear Phase EQs and they were all doing far too much nasty ringing to be usable. So I tried minimum phase. My current favourites are Weiss MP and MAAT Blue. I decided to throw the MDW in the mix as I was getting desperate to find something that worked (usual suspects of MAAT Orange and Weiss EQ1 already hadn't done the trick). The MDW slayed the Weiss MP. Like, killed it dead. I was so shocked I had to come on here to mention it! I've been using the Weiss MP on virtually every track since it came out. It's become my bog standard mixing channel EQ, for which it is very good.. I think.. I assumed it would be more than passable on a master. But 5 notches in the midrange and the Weiss was a hollow mess whereas the MDW sounded "un-EQ'd". I know other people have said this on here and it seems like a clique but it's the first time I've experienced it and it's bloody well true. I think it's important to mention that for 1 or 2 bands it was really hard to tell anything. But on a 5 notch clusterfudge it really separated the wheat from the chaff. I literally said "Oh S*it" out loud.

Now, just to balance it out, the MAAT Blue is very, very good. On the parallel architectures it was basically identical to the MDW, but I still felt the MDW was maintaining the area above the EQ marginally better. I think the upper mids were slightly recessed on the Blue whereas the MDW felt stridently unaffected in the rest of the midrange. But really there is more or less nothing of importance sonically between MAAT Blue and MDW, I could happily use either. Unfortunately the MAAT is a resource hog and tends to crash my computer if I look at it funny (literally 4 times whilst I was trying to do the comparison... so annoying). Whereas MDW is virtually zero latency and I could use it on 100 tracks easily if I wanted! If I tried that with the Blue I think I'd be picking bits of my computer off of the ceiling. Really amazing and eye opening stuff. The MAAT is still great for various things; more flexible, better metering/graphs, different architectures, that Fidef gubbins and whatnot. But I am SUPER impressed by the MDW. Here was me thinking it might make an interesting alternative, low-footprint channel EQ and instead it's beaten out all my other EQs on a master. Remarkable.
Lives for gear

10 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssamson ➡️
Being in the middle of several projects I hadn't gotten around to actually trying out MDW until today. You all know how it is; I don't want to put anything in an active project because if I like it then I'll have to buy it. That's how they get you! ;-)

I'm mastering a record and this one track needed a cluster of notches in the midrange, around 400-600Hz. Super important and sensitive range, obviously, and the notches were close together. I tried all my usual Linear Phase EQs and they were all doing far too much nasty ringing to be usable. So I tried minimum phase. My current favourites are Weiss MP and MAAT Blue. I decided to throw the MDW in the mix as I was getting desperate to find something that worked (usual suspects of MAAT Orange and Weiss EQ1 already hadn't done the trick). The MDW slayed the Weiss MP. Like, killed it dead. I was so shocked I had to come on here to mention it! I've been using the Weiss MP on virtually every track since it came out. It's become my bog standard mixing channel EQ, for which it is very good.. I think.. I assumed it would be more than passable on a master. But 5 notches in the midrange and the Weiss was a hollow mess whereas the MDW sounded "un-EQ'd". I know other people have said this on here and it seems like a clique but it's the first time I've experienced it and it's bloody well true. I think it's important to mention that for 1 or 2 bands it was really hard to tell anything. But on a 5 notch clusterfudge it really separated the wheat from the chaff. I literally said "Oh S*it" out loud.

Now, just to balance it out, the MAAT Blue is very, very good. On the parallel architectures it was basically identical to the MDW, but I still felt the MDW was maintaining the area above the EQ marginally better. I think the upper mids were slightly recessed on the Blue whereas the MDW felt stridently unaffected in the rest of the midrange. But really there is more or less nothing of importance sonically between MAAT Blue and MDW, I could happily use either. Unfortunately the MAAT is a resource hog and tends to crash my computer if I look at it funny (literally 4 times whilst I was trying to do the comparison... so annoying). Whereas MDW is virtually zero latency and I could use it on 100 tracks easily if I wanted! If I tried that with the Blue I think I'd be picking bits of my computer off of the ceiling. Really amazing and eye opening stuff. The MAAT is still great for various things; more flexible, better metering/graphs, different architectures, that Fidef gubbins and whatnot. But I am SUPER impressed by the MDW. Here was me thinking it might make an interesting alternative, low-footprint channel EQ and instead it's beaten out all my other EQs on a master. Remarkable.
You should not post this here, because now the trolls that using EQs only for their graphical design and advertisement starts to bashing you and asking what floats your boat that you point out that MDW smashed other plugins.

There are a lot of people here and also so called mastering engineers that rather look at nice retina interfaces and not listen to sound.

Anyway thank you for your opinion, I have the same feeling about this EQ.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have continued testing and comparing the MDWeQ to many of my main work EQs.

I do like the way this EQ integrates with the material.

Some caparisons seem to yield no difference ... but then other times ... the MDW just opens up with what ever corrections I make.

The Hi Pass .... and the Hi Shelf really work great .... and of course, the Bell boost/cuts.

But there are still several GUI issues [Win7-64] VST-3

The GUI overall is too small ... or at least needs resizing options.
2. The Mousewheel does NOT function, UNLESS I first open Settings and hit OK .... have to do this every time I come back to the plugin.

But I now hear what this EQ can do ... and I've only tested a few times ...

So I just bought it [the coupon] was a nice added incentive.

George, if you're reading this ... always much respect, now from Hardware to Plugins.

I do hope that updates to fix and improve this release will happen in a timely manner.

Thank-you.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
The thing that is definitely too small for me is the output gain dial. Fiddly af. Rest is fine for me but I am on a 1080 screen.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Agreed it’s very small and could do with a graphical polish. I had a couple of glitchy graphical moments too, only with the RTA. In fact I’d be happy to just turn off the graphic display entirely. Mouse wheel support could be better. I’d probably also like 1 more band as well while I’m making a wish list.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
its easy to spot the generational differences in this thread. im not sure why anyone would get offended at people saying that the UI doesnt look good. no one would get offended if we were to say MDWEQ sounds better than most eqs, because its true. it is what it is - some eqs sound better than they look, some look better than they sound, some do both. either way, doesnt make sense for anyone to say praising the plugin is ok but criticizing it isnt, you need to get over yourself

personally, im going to continue using the plugins and continue saying it could look better

its the ultimate irony that people would say the aesthetics of the plugin dont matter, on a forum for an industry and field thats all about aesthetics lol
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Did we ever get D command mapping?

I would imagine it's not difficult to do, but it would help me a bunch.

Dave please help out us poor working stiffs that can't afford to give Avid new controller $$$
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm working on a 'Controller', using STRIPPER for REAPER. See how that goes ...
Lives for gear

10 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR13 ➡️
its easy to spot the generational differences in this thread. im not sure why anyone would get offended at people saying that the UI doesnt look good. no one would get offended if we were to say MDWEQ sounds better than most eqs, because its true. it is what it is - some eqs sound better than they look, some look better than they sound, some do both. either way, doesnt make sense for anyone to say praising the plugin is ok but criticizing it isnt, you need to get over yourself

personally, im going to continue using the plugins and continue saying it could look better

its the ultimate irony that people would say the aesthetics of the plugin dont matter, on a forum for an industry and field thats all about aesthetics lol
If you read this thread you can see that problem is opposite. People here tends to say that this plugin is not good because it not looks good. Not opposite.

I cant understand why people get offended when they say that this plugin sounds better than other. This is real problem, not GUI.

We want great sounding plugins in first place and nobody here say that GUI doesnt matter. It just isnt that important compared to sound quality.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by icecubeman ➡️
If you read this thread you can see that problem is opposite. People here tends to say that this plugin is not good because it not looks good. Not opposite.
the people that think its not good because of the UI are a minority

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecubeman ➡️
It just isnt that important compared to sound quality.
traditionally in hardware (probably less so today), good interface design and good sound go hand in hand. thought and care put into the design externally was a good indicator of design quality internally. some people are accustomed to that and thats why the visual aspect of tools matter to them

the main points for a good interface are usability and aesthetics. mdw is usable but doesnt look great. that is likely intentional, where the sound and function took precedence over the appearance. i respect that design decision because mdw is sonically in its own class. all in all, i think most people would agree that mdw doesnt need to look good to be a good tool, but that it is such a good tool that it deserves to look good
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR13 ➡️
the people that think its not good because of the UI are a minority

traditionally in hardware (probably less so today), good interface design and good sound go hand in hand. thought and care put into the design externally was a good indicator of design quality internally. some people are accustomed to that and thats why the visual aspect of tools matter to them

the main points for a good interface are usability and aesthetics. mdw is usable but doesnt look great. that is likely intentional, where the sound and function took precedence over the appearance. i respect that design decision because mdw is sonically in its own class. all in all, i think most people would agree that mdw doesnt need to look good to be a good tool, but that it is such a good tool that it deserves to look good
The GUI problem existed from day one of MDW -
back then on Pro Tools HD.
Everyone complained about the GUI looking like MS DOS - and it did.
Next version GUI was developed by Fab Du Pont - if I remember right, which looked good.
It seems George did the latest GUI by himself...
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Did we ever get D command mapping?

I would imagine it's not difficult to do, but it would help me a bunch.

Dave please help out us poor working stiffs that can't afford to give Avid new controller $$$
Everything maps except the IsoPeak on the D-Command.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm trying to map parameters ... but the FREQ knobs have a strange scaling.

Freq values have large jumps moving in the 'minimal' value area.

ex: the Low Shelf: starting at 10 Hz ... next jumps to 133, 256 ...

Maybe the Knobs I'm using need far more 'steps' added [Knobman].

still experimenting ...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilburguy ➡️
Everything maps except the IsoPeak on the D-Command.

I put this in the wrong EQ thread LOL (Damn tiny phone screen)

I wouldn't intentionally call George by Dave's name.

Thanks for the info though
Here for the gear

How are you guys even getting a demo? I've emailed via their contact page TWICE in the last three weeks to get an ilok demo license and have received only light cricket chirps.
📝 Reply