Sonarworks Unveils the Latest Update of its Flagship Reference Product - Page 9 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sonarworks Unveils the Latest Update of its Flagship Reference Product
Old 24th March 2021
Gear Head
Bye Sonarworks ond Headphones... Hi Sienna!
Old 24th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The good part about Quality Control is that , like in any domain, when you are prepared, you can address those issues with proper recommendations.

None of those company are prepared because they don't have any team focused on a specific product development and support.

That's that one thing that many audio product company fail to achieve, Especially Acustica Audio that hide behind their lack of optimization on standardized configuration.

The biggest point of Quality Control is to be prepared about any unforeseen issues.

It usually imply getting your product tested in as many popular configuration as possible.

That last part seems to be the biggest issues that I have yet to see in any other type of product in my life mostly because it is a recreational product and no one really care about getting the lack of professionalism regulated by consumer laws and regulation.

As the music business is a Hype led business, their product follow the same mentality of blindly led marketing. Nothing objective but all aimed at Subjectivity of a product.

And I'm not suggesting that any music genre but quality of audio signal is to be preferred over another one, for scientific reasons ( in case you'd want to go there )

In my point of view, the issue come in the need to capitalize in as many aspect of the business as possible to get your business grow when most could deal with a small team well organized with the right aim which would be to create a stable and quality product.

You get that part when you sit in a Porsche or a Ferrari (as an extreme example, amongst many).

No fancy B.S.

Just what it's intended to do.
Gear Nut

Don’t know what’s going on in here but I hope sonarworks gets it all sorted because v4 has been an essential part of things over here. As a pro user, I really just care that things are plug and play. All the old calibration files and presets should still work but the sound should be a clear improvement. New features are of course welcome.

Tip:
When I set my calibration I put the mic on a stand at ear height and moved it around by hand to every single point exactly and made sure the mic was pointed at the exact same point each time. The results were impressive. I recommend that everyone do it that way.
Old 24th March 2021
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Was over at the IK Multimedia website checking out their ARC3 software. It doesn't manage headphones, just speakers but costs $199 for the software only and allows use of another mic and calibration profile. I'm surprised they're not taking advantage of this current Sonarworks fiasco to offer some sort of cross grade promotion (just like others did when Cakewalk imploded).
Old 24th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sonarworks v4 works ok here (osx). Only problem i have is the Mac sometimes gets confused with the systemwide plugin.
My top request would be for a collaboration with UAD to make it an insert on the master out within UAD console, but i realise that is probably a minority of users.

SW probably abandoned this thread when it got derailed, but would be good if they came back to chip in.
Old 24th March 2021
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Sonarworks lost us as a customer, not looking back, but I do wish them good luck with their new direction...

Last edited by safari70; 24th March 2021 at 09:21 PM..
Old 24th March 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Just checking in: WHen I upgrade do I have to measure my room again or will my calibration files work?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannymac ➡️
Just checking in: WHen I upgrade do I have to measure my room again or will my calibration files work?
I re-measured my room with the new version last night, and the results were quite different. The calibrated sound was a lot better than it was when I measured recently with version 4.

Sonarworks have said that they didn't update the measurement system though, so I am a bit confused about the significant difference I have experienced.

I have included the measurement from Jan 2021, and the measurement I took with SoundID 23.03.21.

Massive difference under 100hz. The only thing that I changed between these two measurements was a small, 2ft by 2ft square of earthwool to the right of my listening position (treating a spot under a set of packed, wall mounted books shelves), and the Reference 5 upgrade.
Attached Thumbnails
Sonarworks Unveils the Latest Update of its Flagship Reference Product-sw-jan-2021.png   Sonarworks Unveils the Latest Update of its Flagship Reference Product-mar-2021.jpg  
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I was able to open up a calibration file from a Reference 4 measurement.

Overall, the software is running okay on my end from the little bit of time I've spent with it (Mojave, systemwide, Ableton so far). Little graphical glitches on meters when looking at menus, the occasional misspelling of words on the UI, presets are a little clunky setting up, the install breaks Reference 4.

The ability to limit the low-end and high-end correction along with the dry/wet mix makes the sound from my headphones much more pleasant than before, without losing useful information. My headphone presets are ending up with limits at around 40Hz on the low and 15.5k on the high and the mix around 75%. That tends to keep the correction below 6db without fighting the headphones' design and still has good consistency in the sound between headphones (DT770, K702, HD58X).

Spent time making presets with custom targets on systemwide only to see that these aren't carried over to the plugin. The plugin doesn't make use of any of the preset system and custom targets aren't carried over (had to rebuild them inside the plugin). Another frustrating part of the plugin, is that the wet/dry blend is a general setting that isn't captured by a custom target or profile. So while on systemwide I could have the DT770 preset setup for 80% mix and the HD58X setup for 60%, when in the plugin, I would have to manually adjust this parameter when switching between headphones.

Overall, it does its job...but this shouldn't have been an $89 upgrade and they need to keep working on it. If I had to guess, maybe Sonarworks was cash-strapped or had to conjure up funds for their push to the consumer side of SoundID. If I can also make a conjecture, I foresee very few consumers adopting SoundID.

Last edited by misa; 24th March 2021 at 06:47 PM..
Old 26th March 2021 | Show parent
I’m still on v4 and just received a notification for an update to v4 to fix a few issues, including a audible glitch when changing sample rate, which was beginning to get annoying.

So at least they are still trying to satisfy their existing user base. So they get a brownie point from me for that.

I’ll look into the upgrade when that appears to be stable. As it stands, SW is still the most cost effective and accomplished room correction option for me. Maybe one day I’ll grow up to be a Trinnov
Old 26th March 2021
Lives for gear

Actually installed the trial/demo the other day and surprisingly for me it seem very stable (Windows 10 x64; RME FF UFX II) considering how I had to remove my SW Ref 4 Studio for ages for being really glitchy/unstable - especially on Systemwide.

However everything seems good with Sound ID so far for my set-up. I'll complete the 21 days trial and if no problems I'll update from SW Ref 4 Studio to this for the $89 as it'll just be nice to be able to use it again after having all ready invested in it.

I'll report back when my trial period is over.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 ➡️
I’m still on v4 and just received a notification for an update to v4 to fix a few issues, including a audible glitch when changing sample rate...
So at least they are still trying to satisfy their existing user base. So they get a brownie point from me for that.
Yeah that sounds decent of them.
Old 26th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hope I get the SW-4 update notice.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins ➡️
Hope I get the SW-4 update notice.
+1. I haven't got one, either... :(

/Magnus
Old 26th March 2021
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Why don't you just log in to your account, go to the download center, and download it?

I went and downloaded a few of the latest ones that I didn't have about 6 days ago, went back today after reading this to have a look, and sure enough there is a new one there that wasn't there before, v4.4.82. I guess that's it?.
Old 26th March 2021
Lives for gear

I believe that the difference between my last and most recent measurement is due to my listening position being 6inches further back, and the height that I measured from being about 6 inches lower. Crazy how much of a difference that can make to a measurement.
Here for the gear

Just updated to 5.0.1.38 today. Been using it for a few hours now and I feel that the most annoying bugs are gone. Especially the problems with SoundID randomly limiting the correction to only negative corrections or ignoring the low/high freq limits hasn't occurred so far. I'll keep testing it more though.

EDIT: Unfortunately those random issues with only negative correction being applied were not fixed in this update. Still occurs.

Btw, have you gotten notifications about updates from the Systemwide? I haven't received any and have had to manually check for updates every time even though I have the "Software update is available" notification enabled.

EDIT: Looks like the software update notification was actually broken in the initial release. 5.0.1 release notes say it got fixed:
Quote:
Fixed New update available notification - if the notification is enabled, the app will check for a new version automatically once a day. It can also be triggered manually from the main menu
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 ➡️
I’m still on v4 and just received a notification for an update to v4 to fix a few issues, including a audible glitch when changing sample rate, which was beginning to get annoying.

I’ll look into the upgrade when that appears to be stable. As it stands, SW is still the most cost effective and accomplished room correction option for me. Maybe one day I’ll grow up to be a Trinnov
Same here.
Update installed fine.
Here for the gear

Yeah, same question here. I particularly wonder if there will be any effort (at all) to make Reference 4 compatible with Apple Silicon/M1.
Old 6th April 2021
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Has anybody else run into licensing weirdness with their upgrade? After using and liking Sonarworks Reference for a while, I trialed SoundID and appreciated the new features enough to pay for the upgrade. After registering my license and activating it on my computer, though, I still get the "Your Sonarworks Reference trial has ended" message when I try to use either the standalone or plugin version of SoundID. Luckily, Sonarworks 4 still works fine, but I'd like to be able to use the upgrade that I paid for. Their tech support has been just this side of useless, and with the 10-hour time difference between Riga and the US west coast, I'm lucky to get a reply a day.
Old 7th April 2021
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I hope Sonarworks can get things working better, and I really wish that they would add IMPULSE RESPONSE CORRECTION so they can be a proper Dirac Live competitor.

I recently demo'd Dirac Live to see how it compares and UI wise, Sonarworks is much more user friendly and doubt free. Dirac Live isn't interactive or a guided process and it refused to load in Windows Exclusive Mode, which is the most ideal way because it avoids resampling by the audio pipeline. I had to consult the manual at the very first step when you set speaker levels because it offers no direct feedback and seemed like it was broken (there was no green target level no matter where I looked). Dirac also doesn't learn where your microphone is in the room, the program has you make a very small amount of somewhat vague measurements and then just goes with it! There is nothing equivalent like in Sonarwork where it verifies where you are. In the same vein, it doesn't even show you what the correction curve it creates for you looks like! Dirac Live is like Sonarworks Measure and offers a lot more control as you get to the end, but it's not as nice to use when doing it. Same goes for Dirac Live Processor, which is like Sonarworks Standalone. It looks rather Ableton Live like with the same kind of minimalism.

That being said, I really like the impulse response remodeling and that feature alone makes me consider switching.I would either like to see Dirac introduce a better process or Sonarworks introduce Impulse response control. On my cheapo system, it goes from like 0.5ms to 7.5ms which is quite "long", but it's such a cool feature.
Old 8th April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years

It is aggwful to have bought into a product and to have adapted into its usage, one that was nice and offered quality features at the beginning.
Only to then discover that the company update policies could disable existing features, that they do not fix bugs pointed by users, and to worse the bad, their long term upgrade policy has low appreciation for customers loyalty...

And so, their upgrade pricing schemes are always expensive. Never offering good sales except just before the current version gets discontinued, hence disallowing access to dedicated users, who may have the time for such search (and hence low budget).

///In such cases, one looks for alternatives, feeling a bit disappointed to have looked there at first price. We are a part of an evolving audio community and that means we have a relation with our tools and with whom make them.
This concept escapes quite some marketeers and sales guys.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 ➡️
Actually installed the trial/demo the other day and surprisingly for me it seem very stable (Windows 10 x64; RME FF UFX II) considering how I had to remove my SW Ref 4 Studio for ages for being really glitchy/unstable - especially on Systemwide.

However everything seems good with Sound ID so far for my set-up. I'll complete the 21 days trial and if no problems I'll update from SW Ref 4 Studio to this for the $89 as it'll just be nice to be able to use it again after having all ready invested in it.

I'll report back when my trial period is over.
7 Days left on my Trial and thought I might as well report back early - been using it everyday now for 2 weeks and it hasn't glitched at all unlike Ref 4 its predecessor. Been rock solid stability-wise on my set-up (See above).

Going to go ahead and make the purchase for $89 since I all ready invested heavily in Ref Studio 4 and this means I can once again avail myself of it again under the new guise of SoundID.

The different listening scenarios for quick reference are very good imo and this will negate needing to get either MixChecker plugin or Volume C from Acustica Sienna Platform etc.

The only thing now missing from SW SoundID imo is a Mix Room like set-up if using headphones and want to simulate such a room. Hopefully they might add this feature in future versions...Otherwise for that you will still be looking to either VSX, AA's Sienna VOLs A and B or Waves ARS, NX or OWN plugins etc...

Overall I am very happy with this version of SoundID and can recommend it for systems similar to mine. Just hope they keep all their installers available like they have done so far in case future versions have any glitches so I know I can always roll back to this one.
Old 8th April 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Installed it today and am wondering how the Beta test has managed to overlook that when you set your speaker calibration to no Boost this is ported over to your headphone calibration where they have for some reason taken the option away to change this back?

So you have to go back to your speaker settings and then load your headphone profile?

Such a shame seeing a company I really valued pushing out a product like this.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimotei ➡️
An alternative:

I own both Dirac and Sonarworks 4. But I use neither anymore. Instead I use the built in dsp EQ on my RME converter, and I use the same old measurement mic but with free software Room EQ Wizard instead. It takes a few hours. The EQ is on the soundcards dsp so there is zero latency and zero taxation from the computer. Additionally you can store presets there, if you have multiple speakers.

You run it from the TotalMix RME software.

The EQ can be seperate for L and R, however its only got 3 bands so it is a bit limited. But I only want to correct the bass anyway, so for me it was just about enough. There is an option to chain multiple channes within the Totalmix mixer if more bands are needed. One can then chain through a second channel and ad another eq there. The full mixer setup with eqs, routing etc can be stored as one preset.

I own Reference 4 Studio Edition and ended up going this route, as well (using an RME UFX). Reference 4 had been just fine for me for ages (Mac) but I just switched my main rig to PC land and everything went absolutely haywire when I tried to install and set it up (audio glitches everywhere, general instability...). I emailed Sonarworks a week ago or so and they haven't gotten back to me. Their website was also pretty glitchy!

I think rather than upgrade for $89 I'll stick with TotalMix for the moment.

Not to derail this thread, but how do you chain multiple channels with EQ available on them in TotalMix? I cannot for the life of me figure it out, hah!
Old 8th April 2021
Lives for gear

I have been using a custom headphone calibration along with AA Sienna. It has been working really well so far.

Reporting bugs through the feedback tool in Systemwide has proven helpful for me. All of the issues that I have reported have been resolved quickly.

I do think that they should have held off for a month or so and squashed as many bug as they could before release though. It is not a great look to release such a buggy update.
Old 10th April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 ➡️
7 Days left on my Trial and thought I might as well report back early - been using it everyday now for 2 weeks and it hasn't glitched at all unlike Ref 4 its predecessor. Been rock solid stability-wise on my set-up (See above).

Going to go ahead and make the purchase for $89 since I all ready invested heavily in Ref Studio 4 and this means I can once again avail myself of it again under the new guise of SoundID.

The different listening scenarios for quick reference are very good imo and this will negate needing to get either MixChecker plugin or Volume C from Acustica Sienna Platform etc.

The only thing now missing from SW SoundID imo is a Mix Room like set-up if using headphones and want to simulate such a room. Hopefully they might add this feature in future versions...Otherwise for that you will still be looking to either VSX, AA's Sienna VOLs A and B or Waves ARS, NX or OWN plugins etc...

Overall I am very happy with this version of SoundID and can recommend it for systems similar to mine. Just hope they keep all their installers available like they have done so far in case future versions have any glitches so I know I can always roll back to this one.
ROCK SOLID for me too. I find the upgrade price a little steep given the "new" features, although I wanted to be able to select only a region to correct my whole life...
Old 10th April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapmak3r ➡️

Massive difference under 100hz. The only thing that I changed between these two measurements was a small, 2ft by 2ft square of earthwool to the right of my listening position (treating a spot under a set of packed, wall mounted books shelves), and the Reference 5 upgrade.
Gotta be careful in chocking this up to the software though, I've done a lot of measurements with my Neumann MA-1 and the KH80 monitors, and pretty much get a very difference looking response below 100hz every time.

I bought my copy of sonarworks headphones edition for $50 a few years back. This update costs more than what I paid for the original product. Yeah I think I'll pass.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Followed this thread... wasn't sure... downloaded trial ... just to see ...
Tried measuring my room with the new version using my UAD Apollo X devices ... it crashed on selecting them each time. Not impressed, sent off the crash log ...
A few days later, Support respond with "Sorry for the delay, try with this update". I did ... but my trial period had run out. Hmmm... emailed Support.
They extend trial period. It works! Previously v4 wouldn't work with my Apollo's ... working with support I never established whether this was a T3 issue or a chained-devices one ... in the end used a Focusrite Scarlett interface to measure ... which worked...
New measurements graph similar but significantly different... and sounds much "better" ... and corrected room sounds much closer to corrected headphones. Better measuring or better algorithms? Don't know.
For me ... quite satisfied by the results of trying out the new v5 ... worth the €89 upgrade.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Anyone else using with Soundsource 5 (catalina) and finds SoundID AU passing audio without processing the eq presets but changing the profiles or similar odd bugs? Ref 4 AU still working fine

Edit: I see what's happening-the imported ref4 speaker curve isn't working, but the built-in headphones profiles are. Strange

Last edited by jimmydeluxe; 3 weeks ago at 01:50 AM..
📝 Reply