Fircomp 2 Available - Page 26 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Fircomp 2 Available
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagelove ➡️
Hello sir, when you get some free time, could you just go ahead and create the best clipper plug in ever?

Thanks.
I would LOVE to see a more fully featured sidechain circuit so I have full control over the bandwidth rather than just HPF.

Edit:

Just seen the video linked above from November with the new update - it has configurable sidechain

Amazing, thanks!!

Last edited by djrustycans; 1 week ago at 08:53 AM.. Reason: Hugely embarrassing!
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Quote:
Hello sir, when you get some free time, could you just go ahead and create the best clipper plug in ever?

Thanks.
If you are looking for something immediate, I highly recommend SIR Audio StandardCLIP. It has been my go-to clipper and has increased my loudness tremendously while being incredibly transparent.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless98 ➡️
If you are looking for something immediate, I highly recommend SIR Audio StandardCLIP. It has been my go-to clipper and has increased my loudness tremendously while being incredibly transparent.
I appreciate the suggestion. I just figured since JonV created the best compressor plug in ever, if it's not too much trouble he could whip up the best clipper too.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless98 ➡️
I absolutely second this - Standard Clip is excellent, and extremely affordable! I also think Newfangled Saturate is excellent as well. Saturate is the easier one to use (the auto gain compensation makes dialing it in a breeze, but I ever so slightly prefer the sound of Standard Clip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKosherButcher ➡️
I absolutely second this - Standard Clip is excellent, and extremely affordable! I also think Newfangled Saturate is excellent as well. Saturate is the easier one to use (the auto gain compensation makes dialing it in a breeze, but I ever so slightly prefer the sound of Standard Clip.
that's interesting. Completely unscientifically, I've preferred Saturate more than other clippers I've demoed, but they've done different things I liked. Voxengo's Residue button is fun to use, for example.
I'm still naive about it, are we talking soft clip or hard clip? I've been doing hard clip on percussion, soft clip on melodic and/or global program material.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Voxengo ovc 128 (is that the right name?) Is a great clipper. But I also use standart Clip.

I have a few more I dont use so often (saturate is one of them)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I WANT FIRCLIP!!!

Clipfur?

Either way. I want it. Pretty please.
Gear Addict

Quote:
I WANT FIRCLIP!!!

Clipfur?
Clipwing Audio ClipONE
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I dunno - every single time I bypass volume match a clipper, I prefer it off. They just seem to degrade the audio quality so easily. On a drum bus or snare I'd rather hit a limiter with lookahead if I needed to for those "stray peaks" - clippers are just too destructive and you need to oversample the crap out of them.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MogwaiBoy ➡️
I dunno - every single time I bypass volume match a clipper, I prefer it off. They just seem to degrade the audio quality so easily. On a drum bus or snare I'd rather hit a limiter with lookahead if I needed to for those "stray peaks" - clippers are just too destructive and you need to oversample the crap out of them.
Seriously? Especially snares are a clippers best friend
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAudioBot ➡️
Seriously? Especially snares are a clippers best friend
Maybe so, but I haven't met a piano that clipping doesn't distort in a horrible way pretty much immediately. It's like throwing a kitten at a Rottweiler. I do likes me a clipped snare though.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy ➡️
Maybe so, but I haven't met a piano that clipping doesn't distort in a horrible way pretty much immediately. It's like throwing a kitten at a Rottweiler. I do likes me a clipped snare though.
Woah - snares and pianos are opposites in my book. Piano is full range complex harmonic structure that does not distort nicely. Even compressing them without weird artifacts is complicated. Fircomp does it well thou.

Not sure how clipper from Jon would be that much different to others.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuulart ➡️
Woah - snares and pianos are opposites in my book. Piano is full range complex harmonic structure that does not distort nicely. Even compressing them without weird artifacts is complicated. Fircomp does it well thou.

Not sure how clipper from Jon would be that much different to others.
For sure, I don't think we disagree. I was just stating that I think clipper + piano = bad and clipper + snare = good (in the context of the previous related comments if you trace back through specific replies).

I don't think a clipper from Jon would change anything from that perspective. Personally, I think there are already some great clipper options out there (for when they are useful), so I'm neither hoping nor not hoping for a clipper from Jon (that's just me though).
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy ➡️
For sure, I don't think we disagree. I was just stating that I think clipper + piano = bad and clipper + snare = good (in the context of the previous related comments if you trace back through specific replies).

I don't think a clipper from Jon would change anything from that perspective. Personally, I think there are already some great clipper options out there (for when they are useful), so I'm neither hoping nor not hoping for a clipper from Jon (that's just me though).
Exactly. Not even sure why I jumped in the conversation as I was just rephrasing what you said before.
Gear Addict

Clipping is not a magic pill.

Clipping is a distortion. period. and it has to be used smartly with a full awareness as to what are the expected outcomes... and what are the caveats.

Piano is harmonically rich and relatively "steady-state" whereas snares (or any percussive element for that matter. or transient rich material as a whole) benefit MUCH more from clipping.

With regards to Jon, personally I'm curious to see what he can come up with (making a Clipper)... because he has such an unorthodox (uncanny ?) way of doing things. I really dig that. it's like a big F.Y. to everyone (ie. bending the rules whilst adhering to the basic principles of physics).
as in "I did/do it MY way".
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
would be interesting to know, how you use it in a mastering situation. Do you use it as a limiter as well ?
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabo ➡️
would be interesting to know, how you use it in a mastering situation. Do you use it as a limiter as well ?
Just for pretty clean gain reduction here, bouncing along with the track to enhance the groove, longish Attack, shortish Decay, low Ratios, side chain LPF engaged, never more than 2-3dB of GR etc.

No limiting, I do that later in the chain.

Hoping the latest beta will get a proper release and manual update soon.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I just want to show some appreciation for the VCA mode. I know it has been here for a while but I just used it for the first time on a laid back hip hop mix. The main character traits of Fircomp, being that it is pristinely clean, transparent and respectful to the source, are all still here (obviously perhaps), but man, what a beautiful and deep sense of punch and bounce this mode imparts on the source. SSL who? Thank you Jon. This is my top compressor.
Old 23 hours ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Hermetech ➡️
Hoping the latest beta will get a proper release and manual update soon.
And it's out!
Old 22 hours ago
Gear Head

W11. In Reaper 6.45, when this is docked in the FX window, I can't see the meters on the righthand side because the plugin is so huge. If I float the FX window in order to see the meters, the plugin has to cover the entire top half of my screen. Can I make it smaller? it doesn't respond to grabbing the bottom righthand corner and dragging as it just cuts off the meters on the right again?

OK it's working!
The three diagonal lines bottom right hand corner were not visible until I dragged everything out as far as it could go. Now it's resizing ok.
Old 22 hours ago | Show parent
Works fine in REAPER 6.45 here, on Win 10, dragging bottom right corner to resize, no visual anomalies.

[EDIT] I am seeing frequent lockup/crashes in REAPER at the moment.
Old 8 hours ago | Show parent
Quote:
Works fine in REAPER 6.45 here, on Win 10, dragging bottom right corner to resize, no visual anomalies.

[EDIT] I am seeing frequent lockup/crashes in REAPER at the moment.
Hi Gregg, could you let me know what happens to cause any of these crashes? And did these crashes also happen in the 210 release candidate version? (Or were you using the older version before that?) Thanks!
Old 8 hours ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonVAudio ➡️
Hi Gregg, could you let me know what happens to cause any of these crashes? And did these crashes also happen in the 210 release candidate version? (Or were you using the older version before that?) Thanks!
Of course, Win 10 64 bit (latest version). REAPER 6.45 64 bit. Latest version of FIRComp2 VST3 from yesterday. And yes, was happening with the recent RC version too, I meant to report it but didn't, sorry.

OK, so just had another play. Empty REAPER project, add FIRComp2 as the only effect, open GUI. Sometimes, just clicking the Options tag completely locks up the GUI and freezes REAPER. Need to go into Windows Task Manager to close it manually, and is reporting "Very High" power usage. Other times it happens when I click another of the controls.

Try it again, this time everything works fine... It seems very random, but it's happening like every one in three times I load the plugin.

Just tried again, this time everything appears to be working, all the controls etc, but if I have it in a chain with other plugins and click them to see their GUIs, they don't appear. It's like FIRComp2 'takes over' and again REAPER is frozen and have to get Task Manager to close it.
Old 7 hours ago | Show parent
Quote:
Of course, Win 10 64 bit (latest version). REAPER 6.45 64 bit. Latest version of FIRComp2 VST3 from yesterday. And yes, was happening with the recent RC version too, I meant to report it but didn't, sorry.

OK, so just had another play. Empty REAPER project, add FIRComp2 as the only effect, open GUI. Sometimes, just clicking the Options tag completely locks up the GUI and freezes REAPER. Need to go into Windows Task Manager to close it manually, and is reporting "Very High" power usage.

Try it again, this time everything works fine... It seems very random, but it's happening like every one in three times I load the plugin.
And does this only happen when clicking the "Save / Options.." button, or can you trigger it in other ways?

When opening this menu, the plugin will scan the user configuration folder for fircomp2, in order to see what themes and presets are available, but if this fails, then it shouldn't lock up the plugin, and those sub-menus will simply show "no entries", but looks like there is a problem here.

This is very strange as this part of the code has not changed since the previous version, but I'm going to look into it and see what any potential problems might be.

Is there any way you can make a backup of "C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Roaming\fircomp2" (where your presets and themes are kept), and then delete this folder while the plugin is closed, and then try re-running the plugin to see what happens? Thanks

Edit: Currently testing this in Reaper 6.45 64-bit on Windows and have not yet managed to reproduce the problem, but will test a bit more

Last edited by JonVAudio; 7 hours ago at 10:17 AM.. Reason: Further details
Old 6 hours ago | Show parent
Quote:
And does this only happen when clicking the "Save / Options.." button, or can you trigger it in other ways?

When opening this menu, the plugin will scan the user configuration folder for fircomp2, in order to see what themes and presets are available, but if this fails, then it shouldn't lock up the plugin, and those sub-menus will simply show "no entries", but looks like there is a problem here.

This is very strange as this part of the code has not changed since the previous version, but I'm going to look into it and see what any potential problems might be.

Is there any way you can make a backup of "C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Roaming\fircomp2" (where your presets and themes are kept), and then delete this folder while the plugin is closed, and then try re-running the plugin to see what happens? Thanks

Edit: Currently testing this in Reaper 6.45 64-bit on Windows and have not yet managed to reproduce the problem, but will test a bit more
Nope, can happen at any time with any control. I added another paragraph to my last post showing another way it happened.

I'll try your test and report back soon!
Quote:
Nope, can happen at any time with any control. I added another paragraph to my last post showing another way it happened.

I'll try your test and report back soon!
Ah ok. Could you let me know the exact CPU you have? You can find this by going to Start -> About this PC -> and then "Processor" under "Device specifications". (For example, it might say Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9400)

A quick fix might be to edit the fircomp2_settings.xml file in a texteditor (eg Notepad) while the plugin is closed, and change gui_hz="60" to gui_hz="30" and then save it, or possibly a value even lower (eg 20 or 15). This file is can be found in the folder I mentioned in my previous post, or by clicking on Save/Options -> Browse Settings/presets/themes..

I am not 100% sure what this issue is, but I suspect it is related to GUI drawing in Reaper specifically (not saying that Reaper is necessarily to blame )

Last edited by JonVAudio; 6 hours ago at 11:21 AM.. Reason: Detail
Quote:
Ah ok. Could you let me know the exact CPU you have? You can find this by going to Start -> About this PC -> and then "Processor" under "Device specifications". (For example, it might say Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9400)

A quick fix might be to edit the fircomp2_settings.xml file in a texteditor (eg Notepad) while the plugin is closed, and change gui_hz="60" to gui_hz="30" and then save it, or possibly a value even lower (eg 20 or 15). This file is can be found in the folder I mentioned in my previous post, or by clicking on Save/Options -> Browse Settings/presets/themes..

I am not 100% sure what this issue is, but I suspect it is related to GUI drawing in Reaper specifically (not saying that Reaper is necessarily to blame )
Tried deleting the user preset/theme folder but still happening.

I did wonder if it might be CPU related, I am using an 11 year old quad core processor, with 16 GB RAM:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz

I'll try the refresh rate fix next and report back...
Old 5 hours ago | Show parent
OK so changing gui_hz="60" to gui_hz="30" appears to have fixed it for now, no more crashes! So what's all that about then Jon?

Thanks for all the hand holding, hope it's helped you fix whatever it was for the next update.
Quote:
OK so changing gui_hz="60" to gui_hz="30" appears to have fixed it for now, no more crashes! So what's all that about then Jon?

Thanks for all the hand holding, hope it's helped you fix whatever it was for the next update.
Ok, glad this seems to be working, but please keep me updated if it crashes again And sorry the latest version has been crashing for you.

Your CPU is old, but should still be easily capable of handling the CPU drawing as it's still decent, and I've tried to make drawing as efficient as possible (and I measure it while testing). I will try and investigate the latest drawing code to make sure I haven't accidentally introduced some unnecessary re-draws under certain circumstances.

However (and this is not to blame you for the crashes ) a system that old might need to have thermal paste re-applied to the CPU heatsink (unless you've done this recently). Do you happen to monitor your temperatures? But again this may be completely unrelated, just something to check. And maybe also make sure there are no other processes running in the background that shouldn't be? Sysinternals process explorer (free) is good for this
Fabulous, I'll actually be able to try it in a mastering project now (couldn't before, due to all the crashes) but will report back if I find anything else strange.

Yeah the only reason I'll update the PC is when I am forced to in 2025 when MS stops support for Win 10, as this PC won't work with Win 11. :(

I use HWiNFO to monitor all the PC hardware stuff, CPU Core temps never go above the mid 50 degrees. Everything else power/temp related seems to be in spec. It still plays new games fine at 1920 x 1080 with a GTX 1660 GPU/6GB. I don't think plugin GUIs should really be taxing it. Probably something to do with how REAPER handles graphics, as you said. I use lots of plugs and this was the only one consistently crashing things (actually my Softube plugs also sometimes crash, but it's much rarer).

But no, not applied new thermal paste ever! Didn't realise it was something that one might need to do, so shall investigate.

Thanks again Jon!
📝 Reply