Quantcast
Fircomp 2 Available - Page 23 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Fircomp 2 Available
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Hi, I'm using a macbook air temporarily. I can't run the vst3 of this as it says it's an unknown dev. I open the access pane it says to open and click open anyway. Nothing happens even after moving the vst3 file in and out of the folder, rescanning etc. How do you get around this? My version of Valhalla delay vst3 works fine after doing that process but this doesn't seem to behave in the same way,

Thank you.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by range ➡️
Hi, I'm using a macbook air temporarily. I can't run the vst3 of this as it says it's an unknown dev. I open the access pane it says to open and click open anyway. Nothing happens even after moving the vst3 file in and out of the folder, rescanning etc. How do you get around this? My version of Valhalla delay vst3 works fine after doing that process but this doesn't seem to behave in the same way,

Thank you.
With the new apple security & privacy thing we have to jump through a few hoops for some plugs.
It's a rather tedious method, but i've become used to it.
Just installed the demo on Logic.
Procedure is almost identical as shown here, but i need to rescan the plug in plugin manager, then it gets validated succesfully.
next i need to close and reopen Logic; then it's finally available.
hope this helps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSGumpXMFK8
Quote:

Thank you.
Did you run the fircomp2_unquarantine.command before copying the VST3 and/or AU to the destination? This should work, also please let me know what version of OSX you are running
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Blaster ➡️
With the new apple security & privacy thing we have to jump through a few hoops for some plugs.
It's a rather tedious method, but i've become used to it.
Just installed the demo on Logic.
Procedure is almost identical as shown here, but i need to rescan the plug in plugin manager, then it gets validated succesfully.
next i need to close and reopen Logic; then it's finally available.
hope this helps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSGumpXMFK8
Thanks for the reply. I'm getting an open anyway instead of allow anyway which does nothing. I've followed these steps to no avail. Thanks for posting still!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonVAudio ➡️
Did you run the fircomp2_unquarantine.command before copying the VST3 and/or AU to the destination? This should work, also please let me know what version of OSX you are running
Hey Jon, I hadn't run that command. Just tried and it says I can't as it's from an unidentified dev again. It's running Catalina 10.15.7

What a faff haha. Obviously not your fault but Apples open anyway should work. As I mentioned - Valhalla Delay I had to click the allow anyway and it worked. I'll be moving back to my windows comp soon but it would be nice to get it working on here whilst I have it as I haven't used the VCA mode yet because of it,

Cheers!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I'm getting an open anyway instead of allow anyway which does nothing. I've followed these steps to no avail. Thanks for posting still!

Hey Jon, I hadn't run that command. Just tried and it says I can't as it's from an unidentified dev again. It's running Catalina 10.15.7

What a faff haha. Obviously not your fault but Apples open anyway should work. As I mentioned - Valhalla Delay I had to click the allow anyway and it worked. I'll be moving back to my windows comp soon but it would be nice to get it working on here whilst I have it as I haven't used the VCA mode yet because of it,

Cheers!
Right click or use the gear in the finder to select “open” and it should give you the option to run the unquarantine command.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by abluesky ➡️
Right click or use the gear in the finder to select “open” and it should give you the option to run the unquarantine command.
Thank you, I ran it and it still isn't appearing.
Quote:
Thank you, I ran it and it still isn't appearing.
Just to confirm, when you ran the command, did you then re-copy the VST3 / AU to the destination folder? The command only works on files in the same folder as the command. Also, could you let me know which DAW you are using? Thanks for letting me know you're on OSX 10.15 - should be easy to get working once figured out
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonVAudio ➡️
Just to confirm, when you ran the command, did you then re-copy the VST3 / AU to the destination folder? The command only works on files in the same folder as the command. Also, could you let me know which DAW you are using? Thanks for letting me know you're on OSX 10.15 - should be easy to get working once figured out
Ok that did the trick. I ran the unquarantine then instead of copying it over, moved the vst3 file.

Thanks for the input! Apple need to just make that feature work!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

And my reward for traversing apples weird system... the vca mode. Wow this bangs - what a great addition, nice one Jon!
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by robshrock ➡️
Hi Jon,

I'm loving the update.

Not to press on you, but I would love to get your take on a downward/upward expansion plug-in. This is an oft-overlooked dynamics process and not a lot of current plug-ins do it all that well. Something tells me you would implement it in a way that would be industry-standard.

Oh, yeah... and AAX please! lol

Cheers,
Rob
A big fat yes to that!! No, a big fat yes please!
Lives for gear

Hey guys and guylettes, does anyone have used this comp as a true peak limiter yet and gathered maybe some experience with a comparison to Limiter no. 6 GE or maybe the Weiss limiters?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
The manual does state that Fircomp isn’t a True Peak limiter when in limit settings. It’s “just” a Sample Peak limiter.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichttuntun ➡️
Hey guys and guylettes, does anyone have used this comp as a true peak limiter yet and gathered maybe some experience with a comparison to Limiter no. 6 GE or maybe the Weiss limiters?
For true peak single band I use UrsaDSP Boost.
For multiband, I use Newfangled Elevate.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The compressor that keeps on giving
It has been my go to comp together with klanghelm dc8c
GBP
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Themes

What’s happening with all these themes that were created by the clever artistic peeps?
Are they now collated and accessible via download?
Do they work with these new added features - VCA and decoupled font?
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBP ➡️
What’s happening with all these themes that were created by the clever artistic peeps?
Are they now collated and accessible via download?
Do they work with these new added features - VCA and decoupled font?
I don't think they were collated. In some cases the space in the middle of the gui (that is now the two extra mode switches) collides with some designs a bit, but nothing serious
Old 3 weeks ago
Hey folks! For Logic Pro X users of FirComp, I created a theme that matches the green/blue look of Logic's modern stock plugins.

It's not an exact match. Due to the limitations of the theme editing options, I was able to do general knob, text & rotary colors that match. Certain stock plugin colors look wrong due to proportions and sizes of FirComp elements design. If you guys have any feedback or a better version that works for logic, please drop a reply here.

Hope you guys enjoy!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jCK...ew?usp=sharing
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head

That ^^^ looks superb to me!
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless98 ➡️
Hey folks! For Logic Pro X users of FirComp, I created a theme that matches the green/blue look of Logic's modern stock plugins.

It's not an exact match. Due to the limitations of the theme editing options, I was able to do general knob, text & rotary colors that match. Certain stock plugin colors look wrong due to proportions and sizes of FirComp elements design. If you guys have any feedback or a better version that works for logic, please drop a reply here.

Hope you guys enjoy!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jCK...ew?usp=sharing
I use Digital Performer and I am going with your theme as it looks great.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Outstanding. Punchy and clean, maintains the character very well without being "overly" smooth which is usually my complaint about compressors that market themselves as clean. UI is among the best I've ever used from any plugin. This may not only be one of the most useful compressors I've used, but an instant recommendation for people learning to use compression. Very well thought out, low resource usage (I would gladly take a much larger hit for this quality), and sound quality is exceptional. The fact that this is such a new release from such a new developer is bonkers.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

As a geek fan of 80's-90's naive style just had to make this theme. Obviously called 'June'
Theme preview here
https://ibb.co/jzQPWRY

Great compressor, using it on pretty much everything as well as for audio post for commercials
Attached Files
File Type: zip June.zip (746 Bytes, 8 views)
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by parowar ➡️
As a geek fan of 80's-90's naive style just had to make this theme. Obviously called 'June'
Theme preview here

Great compressor, using it on pretty much everything as well as for audio post for commercials
Warning: Link flagged by Chrome as non secure, non private.

To be safe, I wouldn't download the attached file, considering this is the first post by the member.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielbest1 ➡️
Warning: Link flagged by Chrome as non secure, non private.

To be safe, I wouldn't download the attached file, considering this is the first post by the member.
Fair enough. Actually registered here to say something nice about FirComp and share the theme, but gs wouldn't let me attach image using IMG, so here's another link (hope this one would be safer)
https://disk.yandex.ru/i/t8Y-hcoaZkyntw
Quote:
Originally Posted by parowar ➡️
Theme preview here

Thanks for making another theme, always glad to hear about fircomp getting a lot of use

(I downloaded the attached June.zip and it's just an xml theme file, for anyone wondering, and is safe )

To others who were wondering about themes earlier: I had one person email me a great theme with background image, I have also saved all the themes from this thread, but for any of the others with background images I will reach out to the creator to ask if they are happy for me to upload and then will probably upload them soon
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Damn, I'm late on this but the VCA mode + zero attack handles ultra fast + spike-y drum machines transients better than anything I've ever used. Anyone that's ever mixed electronic music will know that 808/909 transients are the devil and this lets you reshape and massage them really elegantly.
Old 5 days ago
At this point, I have completely stopped using any other compressor, even analog modeled LA2As and 1176 style ones. This compressor just works on anything and everything. Seems to bring a sense of unity in the sound too.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut
I don't know if anyone tried this already. I call it JVSC
Attached Thumbnails
Fircomp 2 Available-screenshot-2021-06-15-1.55.07-pm.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: zip JVSC.xml.zip (1.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenofon ➡️
I don't know if anyone tried this already. I call it JVSC
IMHO Jon’s skins are the best.
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless98 ➡️
At this point, I have completely stopped using any other compressor, even analog modeled LA2As and 1176 style ones. This compressor just works on anything and everything. Seems to bring a sense of unity in the sound too.

Likewise, haven't touched anything else since getting it - just works everywhere.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

I fully agree with @ Faceless98 and @ range

This is the first compressor I've used that lets me almost instantly dial in the dynamics I have in my head without much fiddling. It effortlessly can add VCA-likee punch or roll off transients or level in a smooth opto way or add mu-like glue and movement or hold things tight with firm high ratio compression. It virtually never sounds bad, even on difficult sources like extreme sub bass. It does pretty much all common types of downward compression except for maybe Distressor-like destruction and super colored Fairchild tube compression.

And I say this knowing that we tend towards hyperbole with new-ish plugin here but I genuinely think that this is a DMG Audio, ValhallaDSP or TDR type release that people will be using as a steady workhorse for years to come.
📝 Reply