The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Fircomp 2 Available
Old 10th April 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld ➡️
I must be missing something.
I purchased it with PayPal.
I use a credit card linked to my PayPal account, but the vendor doesn't know the details, the purchase is just via PayPal.
I also have a Debit account linked to PayPal, I can choose which account I want to pay with.

How do you use PayPal without linking it to a credit card or bank/debit account?
cheers
Hi Beatworld,
Normally with PayPal, as it has been since it began I think, when you make a purchase you hit the PayPal link and go off to the PayPal website, login and ok the payment. At no point do you have to enter any credit card or debit card details. When initially creating a PP account you do need to link it to a card but thereafter the card isn't involved. I would regard constant entering of card details as a vulnerability worsened I would think by merchants, as many do, using some halfway-house payment outfit that binds itself deep into PayPal.

Thus the original PayPal system is a more attractive method of online payment as we buyers are rather more protected and distanced. PayPal is not completely wonderful, particularly, I read, for merchants but is useable and I think preferable.

However, in recent years PayPal brought in this new feature where to achieve payment you have to enter card details every time. At first this just seemed to be solely for recurring payments such as on the Patreon site that some plugin developers favour but now it's turning up for instances of one off payment.

Credit cards are a bit of a flawed concept anyway but online is worse. Read interviews with people who've suffered 'identity theft'/credit card fraud and they all say the same thing; they now use cash for absolutely everything they possibly can. We can learn from this! Paypal isn't cash but it's about the best I've found for online shopping at the moment.

An alternative that works and is even safer though perhaps a touch expensive is such as the Mastercard gift card which can be used anywhere you are required to use a credit card and can remain totally anonymous despite much pestering to 'register' and is also funds limited. There is a snag of course. Despite their claims, I can't find anywhere you can actually buy it! I found one shop once, years ago and that was it.

Everyone takes their own chances of course and what do I know.........
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey ➡️
Hmmm... Are you not seeing this?
Hi, Ol' Betsey,
Yes, I did and clicked on it but when I did, instead of going to the regular login to Paypal and ok the payment, it takes you to the other PayPal mechanism that's risen up in recent years whereby the only way to achieve payment is by entering credit card details. Thus essentially no different to using the non-PayPal credit card option! See my reply to Beatworld.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Notes ➡️
Hi, Ol' Betsey,
Yes, I did and clicked on it but when I did, instead of going to the regular login to Paypal and ok the payment, it takes you to the other PayPal mechanism that's risen up in recent years whereby the only way to achieve payment is by entering credit card details. Thus essentially no different to using the non-PayPal credit card option! See my reply to Beatworld.
That's really strange. In response to what you wrote to Beatworld all I can say is that I use PayPal between five and ten times a month for over 15 years and I have never had to re-enter either my bank or credit card details ever.

Sometimes if I don't have adequate cash reserves in my account for a purchase they ask how I'd like to pay (with linked card or bank account) but I've never experienced this 'new' behaviour your mentioning?

R.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hi, Ol' Betsey,
I know exactly what you mean and the only way to avoid is is to have at least 25 euro in your account minimum.
It used to be 5 euro and is gradually raised through time. I also often got that annoying screen asking me to link a credit card but I stubbornly refuse.
So top your paypal account with a good amount and you shouldn't get that request anymore..... Until they silently raise the minimum amount again to e.g. 50 euro (or dollars for that matter).
Old 10th April 2021
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
As long as you log into your PayPal account before paying you don't have to enter the card details.
I have seen situations like you describe but, I always avoid them by choosing the Log in to my PayPal account option.
I use PayPal all the time, works well enough for my needs.

If you look closely at that screen grab Ol'Betsy posted it says pay with Card or pay with PayPal.
Click on PayPal.
Where Ol'Betsy's red arrows is pointed to.

I don't know anything about not having enough money in the account.
Never encountered that issue.
I have never been asked to have a minimum amount in my account.
If I have a balance in my PayPal account that covers the purchase I use that, if not one of my linked accounts.
Weird.
Good luck.
Old 10th April 2021
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Hi guys
A little OT I know but....
I feel like I'm on a sort of quest: I am looking for the "Fircomp" amongst reverbs: musical yet almost invisible, transparent, a verb that is opposite of dense but that connects and blends with the source almost seamlessly which are always synths and samples.

What is recommended in that regard?

ATM I am testing LiquidSonics.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician ➡️
Hi guys
I feel like I'm on a sort of quest: I am looking for the "Fircomp" amongst reverbs: musical yet almost invisible, transparent, a verb that is opposite of dense but that connects and blends with the source almost seamlessly which are always synths and samples.

I'd start with Airwindows Verbity and perhaps Galactic.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hi guys

I love Arturia's plate on keys, never gets old. Also Acon Verberate Basic (free!) or full is clean and lovely.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hi guys

100% Cinematic Rooms
GBP
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hi, Ol' Betsey,
I have read your other posts...

When you get to the bit past gum rd which is this bit where you think you have to input your card details and email address, hit the “pay pal” button (not pay now).
That does take you to sign in at paypal. No need to fill in anything.

Paypal does not ask you to input any card details, why would they? They have your card details and bank etc. And as you say that would defeat the point of using that payment provider.
Old 11th April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I am looking for the "Fircomp" amongst reverbs: musical yet almost invisible, transparent, a verb that is opposite of dense but that connects and blends with the source almost seamlessly which are always synths and samples.
I’ve had a similar desire! Try Acon Verberate - it’s been my favorite lately.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hi guys

I really like Polyverse comet for this very purpose. It has a lot of control over color and tone that work well for me when I don't want a plate or room or similar will defined output. And the interface is simple and fast, and it is designed so when you automate the controls it doesn't stutter or click, it responds smoothly and musically.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I am looking for the "Fircomp" amongst reverbs: musical yet almost invisible, transparent, a verb that is opposite of dense but that connects and blends with the source almost seamlessly which are always synths and samples.
Your best choice would be FIRberate.

It is colorfully transparent, lightly thin AND dense, it connects with the source material AND detaches itself from it, at the same time.

Joking aside... you would be given a choice of at least 100 reverbs as a reply to your question (based on PERSONAL, TEMPORARY - PREFERENCE of users).

instead, grab the first free you can lay your hands on, turn down the processing volume, high pass/low pass it... and there you have it : "a reverb that is musical yet almost invisible, transparent...that connects and blends with the source almost seamlessly"
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tan ➡️
instead, grab the first free you can lay your hands on, turn down the processing volume, high pass/low pass it... and there you have it : "a reverb that is musical yet almost invisible, transparent...that connects and blends with the source almost seamlessly"
I am sorry to say: no. It's not that straightforward.
If that were the case it would be all to easy to just use the stock reverb in my DAW Reaper which has hp/LP filters in it.

The verb character itself is very important and makes or breaks it. And the way it blends with the source is also not just a case of a correct balance setting of mix dry/wet signals.

I tried Valhalla's offerings for example next to countless others and they are very powerful but it just doesn't connect with the source, it simply imposes it's verb and I experience that with so many of them.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by schleppermint ➡️
I’ve had a similar desire! Try Acon Verberate - it’s been my favorite lately.
Will do, thanks!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tan ➡️
Your best choice would be FIRberate.

It is colorfully transparent, lightly thin AND dense, it connects with the source material AND detaches itself from it, at the same time.
Huh?
Anyway, do you have a URL link please?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deff J ➡️
I'd start with Airwindows Verbity and perhaps Galactic.
Thanks but I stay away now from Airwindows.
Good plugins yes but I hate the spartan GUI.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by idoru97214 ➡️
I really like Polyverse comet for this very purpose. It has a lot of control over color and tone that work well for me when I don't want a plate or room or similar will defined output. And the interface is simple and fast, and it is designed so when you automate the controls it doesn't stutter or click, it responds smoothly and musically.
I demoed it some time ago but didn't feel it.
Will give it another shot 🙂
Old 11th April 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
VSR24 .. ?
GBP
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I tried Valhalla's offerings for example next to countless others and they are very powerful but it just doesn't connect with the source, it simply imposes it's verb and I experience that with so many of them.
Exponential audio Nimbus might work well for you and has recently been very cheap to pick up on a number of occasions....

Transparent, wraps the source, clean, good control, low cpu....

Yes I would say that is the closest to firverb in current theory
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I am sorry to say: no. It's not that straightforward.
If that were the case it would be all to easy to just use the stock reverb in my DAW Reaper which has hp/LP filters in it.

The verb character itself is very important and makes or breaks it. And the way it blends with the source is also not just a case of a correct balance setting of mix dry/wet signals.
Look, I'm not trying to argue with you. it's just an empirical observation after 17 years of trying, like, every major reverb plugin that was/is released (inc. the ones that comes in "power cards". y'know, PoCo, UAD etc). it's not just with Reverbs, it's with EVERYTHING. you'll look for the coveted "character" of Lexicon, Bricasti, TC etc. ,only to realize (hopefully) that it is "The same dame" (well, not exactly the SAME, but the results would not leave you at a state that is akin to taking an MDMA pill). you may spend YEARS trying to get THE character where there is none, nowadays (well, TBF, there IS a so called "character", but it is can ONLY relate to HW tools, which have fixed algos over the course of their lives). having SO MANY tools (hundreds !) that claim to be an exact clone of something, with algos that may change in a matter of weeks to months - will get you nowhere. you will chase your tail forever. this is the brutal and honest truth which, unfortunately, contradicts the reality as we are propelled to believe in (which is commodity based).

Quote:
Ask a friend to help you with this : insert on an aux return one of Valhalla's offerings. leave the wet/dry at 100% for now. hipass and it @ 300-700hz. lopass it @ 7000hz (or their whereabouts). send your audio to it @ [-18db] to [-24dB]. if it sounds still "pasted" upon your audio, try playing with the internal wet-dry (it MAY cause - ON PAPER - phasing issues, but pay attention if you like the resulting processing).

Now, process with some high-profile reverb.

Match the level of the two processed audios. now close your eyes and ask your friend to A/B for you.

You may find yourself gasping "Jesus, did I just spend 500... 700... 1000+ on SW Reverbs that actually sound quite similar ??".

So... umm... yes.

Don't get me wrong : I am a gearslut just as everyone else here. but there is a hyped truth and there's the absolute truth.

If you want a run-and-gun Reverb (and a free one, too), Verberate-Basic is a great one.

It's not a Lexi 480/960/96 emulation.
It's not a Bricasti emulation.
It's not a Eventide clone.
John Lennon did not use it to record "Imagine"
James Brown did not use it for the vocals in "I Feel Good"

It's just a great no-fuss option (one among many many others. but one that came from the top of my head).

Quote:
Huh?
Anyway, do you have a URL link please?
It was a sarcasm, friend...

Whenever a developer develops a remarkable tool, people start asking him for every conceivable tool that may or may not relate to the spirit (or rather - to the originality) of original tool (thinking that if the original tool was THAT good, he must've be good at developing other tools, ain't it so ?). in reality many of them fail to deliver.
again, just an observation ... after many years in the field.

Just enjoy FIRcomp for what it is. let Jon decide what (or IF) he want's to develop next.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hi guys

Wouldn't this topic deserve its own thread?
GBP
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzzinlouie ➡️
Wouldn't this topic deserve its own thread?
Why? It’s nipped in the bud and finished now with Nimbus.
Quest over !
Gear Addict

Out on a limb, there is an oddity in free reverbs that is Inspirata-lite. This convolution reverb does a lot of (uncontrollable) pre-reverb signal processing that the true slutz don't like but is interesting in terms of this thread. If one switches it to 100% dry and page through the rooms you will hear what I mean.

Amongst all the caves and cathedrals, there is one emulation of a practice room that is very transparent and has loads of sub bass. In general the processed signal is "thin" without seeming to lack much. Each space is treated differently.

The downside is it's permanent internet connection for iLOk and a slight PiTA to get installed, but I think worth it purely to at least hear the signal treatment. The reverbs are all what I would describe as transparent but it's basically just another convolution reverb so yes treatment is all - send your reverb a transparent mix and you'll get transparent reverb.
Gear Nut
Hey, Just a reminder, this thread is still about Fircomp v2. I find the digression interesting but probably should be on a different thread.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrmazzakR ➡️
Hey, Just a reminder, this thread is still about Fircomp v2. I find the digression interesting but probably should be on a different thread.
It was just a quick OT question but yes, enough for now.
Thank you all for the made suggestions!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I quite like your fantasies, apparently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
Yeah, this comp is ace.

And now that v2 is out and hopefully selling like hotcakes as it deserves, are you considering any other comps, Jon?

I would still be instant buyer for something with this here coding style/box tone, but next time a partner to Fircomp that is more laid out to bubbling grooves. If it was a fantasy unit for me it would have as fantasised before, some release shapes from a few classics in the way the Daking II hardware has, but including a Pye release....lol....but also a Peak/Rms sensing dial, a la Allison GainBrains.

Anyway, regardless what my fantasies are, are you going for another comp, and if so, any clues?
Old 4 weeks ago
I am excited to see Jon's approach to EQs, Saturation and Reverbs. If his upcoming offerings are as clean as FirComp, I will get his stuff in a heartbeat.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Hi guys!

I hope you have some uses on the presets I made for this bad boy! ( I actually have more but dont want to disturb Jon into putting it in ).

I just want to tell you guys, how Jon is a very humble, and a good ( very talented ) guy among the devs that Ive beta tested. Some devs doesnt even listen to their users. He deserves the praise for this FIRcomp! We need a lot of people in our industry like him to be honest. Cheers!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless98 ➡️
I am excited to see Jon's approach to EQs, Saturation and Reverbs. If his upcoming offerings are as clean as FirComp, I will get his stuff in a heartbeat.
I'm really interested in an EQ.

I use Balance Magpha every single day and I absolutely love the sound, CPU efficiency, and the knobs-only, no-nonsense GUI. However, it seems there's no more ongoing development or support...which is less than ideal.
I'd love to see John's take on a no-frills mastering EQ like this. No doubt it would be superlative.
📝 Reply