The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
denise introduces Dragon Fire: A new way to color and tame your track dynamics
Old 27th February 2021
Lives for gear

Denise DragonFire

https://www.denise.io/store/denise/DragonFire

The new Denise plugin is pretty groovy. Great problem solver / fixer. Managed to better-than-salvage some pretty poorly-recorded overhead tracks earlier today on a session. Looking forward to seeing what else it can do.
Old 27th February 2021
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto ➡️
https://www.denise.io/store/denise/DragonFire

The new Denise plugin is pretty groovy. Great problem solver / fixer. Managed to better-than-salvage some pretty poorly-recorded overhead tracks earlier today on a session. Looking forward to seeing what else it can do.
Its more than a problem solver, used as a ordinary compressor its very clean and sharp. Perfect for both bad recorded or perfect recorded vocals.
Old 27th February 2021
It seems designed for sidechain function! So it looks very interesting.
Old 27th February 2021
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
downloading demo but man, that name....makes me almost not want to use it
Old 27th February 2021
Here for the gear

Can it do the soothe job?
Old 27th February 2021
Gee
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Looks pretty sweet! Will check it out for sure!
Old 27th February 2021
Lives for gear

One feature I'm sorely missing (and somewhat surprised is absent, given the spirit of this processor) is the ability to use negative "pull" percentages, in order to cut frequencies from the audio that you push into the side chain, or vice versa. I hope denise will consider this feature in a future update, as it would expand Dragonfire's versatility quite dramatically.
Old 28th February 2021
Gear Maniac

Trying to wrap my head around it. I can use a dynamic EQ and saturator and do all that. I want to justify the money. I have the idle cash but I want to know why!
Old 28th February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut
If you don't know "why", then you don't have to!!! "why" is too important !!!!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by analag ➡️
Trying to wrap my head around it. I can use a dynamic EQ and saturator and do all that. I want to justify the money. I have the idle cash but I want to know why!
The demo videos offer up a pretty simplified explanation of what this thing is about, and what it's meant for, but to be honest, it's a pretty deep processor and probably not something for folks less experienced with the compression. It's a worth a demo to see if the presets can help you wrap your head around it, but honestly, I wouldn't sweat it too much if you're struggling. It's certainly not a simple machine!

This thing is a pretty incredible overhead processor. I'm feeling super spoiled between this and the 1178 plug that I got this past week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taphor ➡️
Can it do the soothe job?
Not at all.
Old 28th February 2021
Deleted 8f33f90
It's just macro'd pre-post EQ(companding sorta)with a compressor between them. simplifying the method is noice, but as per usual with Denise/Soundspots offerings IMO, the sound is meh

That name as well lol(a vomit emoji was most appropriate, but GS doesn't have one)
Gear Maniac

Quote:
probably not something for folks less experienced with the compression.
I like this part, but I have designed and built a few hardware compressors. I shared the PM660 and the AOC with the world, The others I won't.
Old 28th February 2021
I tried what I needed. Finally, I would choose more detailed tools like Nova.
But it's quite nice as a compressor.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontcare ➡️
It's just macro'd pre-post EQ(companding sorta)with a compressor between them. simplifying the method is noice, but as per usual with Denise/Soundspots offerings IMO, the sound is meh

That name as well lol(a vomit emoji was most appropriate, but GS doesn't have one)
I think that short-sells it a bit; there's a multi band aspect to the compression that is central to its function and usefulness.
Old 28th February 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I’m going to give this a demo tonight. It seems like it’ll do the job of a similar chain of plugins I currently use. Can anyone tell me if it’s got an equal loudness / auto gain thing happening? Based on the video demos it would appear so but I’m not sure.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateHawkins ➡️
I’m going to give this a demo tonight. It seems like it’ll do the job of a similar chain of plugins I currently use. Can anyone tell me if it’s got an equal loudness / auto gain thing happening? Based on the video demos it would appear so but I’m not sure.
Yes, it does. Not perfect (they never are) but it's effective enough.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yes, it does. Not perfect (they never are) but it's effective enough.
Thanks! I’ll probably buy before demoing. Some of the Denise stuff I have gets used all the time.
Old 1st March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Here ya go

Now to set my karma points on track again, i´ll give some praise.
I think Denise plugins fill their function very well. Quick, intuitive and clean looking tools- sound is also clean, hard to complain in a world full of excellent saturators.
I love how their vision is very clean too, not hazed with going down to hardware modelling rabbit hole and using resources to revision it every few years- make it better than ever heard from itb yet

Instead we have bunch of mainly workflow supporting tools with excellent quality for mixing and sound design. Theres even more room for those in my folders actually.
Old 1st March 2021 | Show parent
Deleted 8f33f90
Quote:
Originally Posted by souljahh ➡️
Here ya go

Now to set my karma points on track again, i´ll give some praise.
I think Denise plugins fill their function very well. Quick, intuitive and clean looking tools- sound is also clean, hard to complain in a world full of excellent saturators.
I love how their vision is very clean too, not hazed with going down to hardware modelling rabbit hole and using resources to revision it every few years- make it better than ever heard from itb yet

Instead we have bunch of mainly workflow supporting tools with excellent quality for mixing and sound design. Theres even more room for those in my folders actually.
Lol, projectile vomit. thanks

Yeah, i wasn't really talking about a lack of analog modelling or anything like that, i just find most of their algorithms a little "wonky"sounding besides the Denise limiter. I'm all for completely digital in their philosophy plugins far more than i am for analog modelled ones
Old 1st March 2021
Gear Addict

denise introduces Dragon Fire: A new way to color and tame your track dynamics

Hi all,

I'm here to share news of our newest plugin from denise audio

Dragon Fire introduces tonal compression: a new and easier way to tame and color the dynamic of your tracks. On top of that, our Shape technology allows you to finely sculpt the flavor and behaviour of the compressor algorithm. Out of the box the Dragon Fire offers many classic compressor types, but you can go next level and design your own compressor style. Go from vintage to transparent and finally create that OPTO style compressor with a hard knee, a touch of VCA punch, and add some transformer flavor on top.

To tame your track dynamics, the Dragon Fire offers a new approach that has the ease of use of an equalizer with its push-pull graph. Flavoring your sound and cutting through the mix has never been easier. Speed up your workflow and add creativity and fun to your production process while keeping your ears fresh, creative and healthy.

Quote:
“Dragon Fire is doing the job of what I used to need a stack of plugins for! When I need something to cut through the mix, this is a new favourite.” –
Rhys May (Bring Me The Horizon, One OK Rock, Enter Shikari)
denise asked Rhys May for feedback on the plugin as he had the opportunity to test the Dragon Fire some time before it’s release. He flattered us as he sent over a short showcase video using the Dragon on a mix he was working on for Dohny Jep with his quote.

When we started to conceptualize a ‘denise style’ compressor, we wanted to go beyond emulating a classic compressor. It’s after all denise’s mission to take inspiration from the analog world, but create plugins with their own unique soul, craziness and character. We wanted our compressor to give you the freedom to tune the sound of the compressor itself – imagine fine-tuning the compressor’s saturation amount based on the gain reduction, or tweaking the envelope follower to sound more analog or vintage. Secondly, we wanted to make compressing multiple bands easy, controlled and more flexible than with a traditional multiband compressor. To achieve this we integrated the push-pull technology from our popular God Mode, so you can target the compression towards specific elements in your mix, like the snare in a full beat. These new features and technology made us rethink the mixing process entirely.

Quote:
“After our initial test versions of the Dragon Fire, product developer Enrico started sending us audio demo’s after midnight on Slack, showcasing how he was using it for mixing, with no other EQ or effects added. That inspired us to mix a whole track this way” – Rob Stegeman, CEO at denise
We challenged ourselves to mix and master a complete track with only the Dragon Fire and the reverbs from our Perfect series. The result is the track “Lay Down” that product developer Enrico recorded in separate, remote sessions in Berlin and Italy. He discovered several new techniques during the mixing process, and we think that there are many more discoveries to come. Find examples of tonal production techniques, including a free trial, on the denise website.

Dragon Fire with its Shape technology offers multiple creative features Finely sculpt the flavor and behaviour of the compressor algorithm itself. Go from vintage to transparent and anything in between:
  • Unique RMS and Knee functions to soften the compression sound.
  • Interpolate between a fast and slow release curve for an ‘optic’ style response.
  • Adaptive saturation: Like an old tube compressor, the more you push a signal the more it gets saturated.

Quote:
“Dragon Fire … goes to places no other compressor does and makes you think about dynamics in a way you have not before!” – Kamikaze Space Programme (Mord, Osiris Music, Unrush)
Besides its Shape features it offers a:
  • Push-pull graph: An easy-to-use, eq-style graph to control how the compressor reacts to different frequency ranges and smartly shaping the track’s tonal balance with the pull dial.
  • Easy switch to use the compressor in classic mode as a single band compressor.
  • Transparent clipper: Use it heavily to add extra dirt and saturation.
  • Comes with creative and classic compressor styles presets including instruments like guitars, bass, vocals & drums.

The possibilities with the Dragon Fire are endless. Please go try the Dragon Fire for yourself and find a FREE trial and plenty of examples on our website www.denise.io. The Dragon Fire is offered for limited time at 50% off. Instead of €82/$99, get it for €40.50/£36/$49.90 (€49 incl. VAT). Go Tonal!
Old 2nd March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:

Yeah, i wasn't really talking about a lack of analog modelling or anything like that, i just find most of their algorithms a little "wonky"sounding besides the Denise limiter. I'm all for completely digital in their philosophy plugins far more than i am for analog modelled ones
Shhh they just walked in..
Deleted 8f33f90
Quote:
I think that short-sells it a bit; there's a multi band aspect to the compression that is central to its function and usefulness.
Where are you getting multiband from? There's no crossovers here and i'm not "short-selling"anything. That is exactly what it is.

EQ that boosts or cuts - Compressor - EQ that does the inverse of whatever the first EQ was doing.

Literally no different to doing it with any parametric EQ with any compressor plugin of your choosing sandwiched between them. DAW's like Reaper, Bitwig, and i am sure others can do inverse linking of parameters, and most parametric EQ plugins already have that as a feature(inverting the bands). Denise are just really milking this "push-pull" EQ companding-ish method as if its something new. All they've really done is make the method a bit more fluid, so the only thing you can umm and argh about is the quality of the comp and the EQ that comprise the plugin. i personally found it a bit "wonky"sounding regardless of the settings. Didn't like the way it brought out the transients especially on the breaks i was fiddling with when i demoed it
Lives for gear

Quote:
Where are you getting multiband from? There's no crossovers here and i'm not "short-selling"anything. That is exactly what it is.

EQ that boosts or cuts - Compressor - EQ that does the inverse of whatever the first EQ was doing.

Literally no different to doing it with any parametric EQ with any compressor plugin of your choosing sandwiched between them. DAW's like Reaper, Bitwig, and i am sure others can do inverse linking of parameters, and most parametric EQ plugins already have that as a feature(inverting the bands). Denise are just really milking this "push-pull" EQ companding-ish method as if its something new. All they've really done is make the method a bit more fluid, so the only thing you can umm and argh about is the quality of the comp and the EQ that comprise the plugin. i personally found it a bit "wonky"sounding regardless of the settings. Didn't like the way it brought out the transients especially on the breaks i was fiddling with when i demoed it
I’m not sure how to say it any clearer: the compression operates as multiband (though there’s an option to switch that to standard broadband action).

Maybe the fact that you didn’t know this is why you found the results “wonky”.
Here for the gear

Quote:

I strongly suggest you read the literature before posting your findings. You would have found that there is in fact, a 'multiband' mode SPECIFICALLY for complex program material, and for when single-band response is inadequate.

TLDR: RTFM?

This plugin is saving me the work of 3 plugins (Pro DSM plus a couple other goodies), and is doing so all the while saving me time, screen estate, and cpu cycles. They aren't exactly trying to re-invent the wheel, but offer you a tool that should, by all intents, make ones life easier (correction, a f--kton easier). Besides, the fact that it being as inexpensive at it is (for what it is doing), is really a no brainer (unless you're a smoothie).

But, Idontcare, since you're the master of disaster. Show us idiots (I mean studio-tanned apes) how it's really done! Teach us your ways!
Old 5th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:

Hey Idontcare,

when you say wonky, what is it about the resulting sound which is wonky? We work with a well established developer for these plugins, but feedback is always welcome if you see an area for improvement.

Any suggestion are welcomed

All the best
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateHawkins ➡️
Thanks! I’ll probably buy before demoing. Some of the Denise stuff I have gets used all the time.
Please do! We've extended our trial period beyond 7 days, so it works for an unlimited time but doesn't save the state in the project.

All the best.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee ➡️
Looks pretty sweet! Will check it out for sure!
We've extended our trial period for plugins now, and instead of a 7 day usage, we offer an unlimited usage (but the DAW doesn't save the state). Get your trial from the website: https://www.denise.io/store/denise/DragonFire
Old 5th March 2021
Here for the gear

One thing I do notice with this plugin unlike other offerings from Denise is that when having the Dragon Fire GUI open, it makes literally all other meters, GUIs from other developer plugins hang, freeze, or slowdown tremendously. I'm talking right now while looking at Pro-L2, SPAN and a correlometer, and these will all suddenly freeze up once I open any instance of Dragon Fire in the project to view it's GUI.

This doesn't impact sonic performance but this is something I'm noticing that Dragon Fire is doing. As soon as I close it, all my meters come back to normal. I do find also that this is a CPU heavy plugin (sometimes you have to pay the CPU tax on a good plugin, as I understand), but is there any plan in the near future for further optimizations without killing the sound? It definitely seems like the multiband mode tacks on an additional ~8% CPU load on average (Windows 10, Cubase 11 Pro, running custom PC rig that's 4 years old, but still chews through 200+ track sessions daily).
Old 8th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phasechange ➡️
One thing I do notice with this plugin unlike other offerings from Denise is that when having the Dragon Fire GUI open, it makes literally all other meters, GUIs from other developer plugins hang, freeze, or slowdown tremendously. I'm talking right now while looking at Pro-L2, SPAN and a correlometer, and these will all suddenly freeze up once I open any instance of Dragon Fire in the project to view it's GUI.

This doesn't impact sonic performance but this is something I'm noticing that Dragon Fire is doing. As soon as I close it, all my meters come back to normal. I do find also that this is a CPU heavy plugin (sometimes you have to pay the CPU tax on a good plugin, as I understand), but is there any plan in the near future for further optimizations without killing the sound? It definitely seems like the multiband mode tacks on an additional ~8% CPU load on average (Windows 10, Cubase 11 Pro, running custom PC rig that's 4 years old, but still chews through 200+ track sessions daily).
Hi Phasechange,

would you be able to contact us with an email regarding this potential bug? It could be one of many reasons, and we'd need some more information about your set up in order to diagnose the issue. Contact us on [email protected]

All the best,
Joe
Old 8th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack ➡️
Just a tip, the menu bar on your website shouldn't scroll down with the page. I got to the bottom to find the link and was like "how do I sign in?" had to scroll all the way back up to the top to find the account log-in.
Hi superwack,

I'm not sure I understand the request here. If the menu bar follows you down the page then you should be able to find it at the bottom of the page? Maybe I've misunderstood something about your request though.

All the best,
Joe
📝 Reply