Solid State Logic unveils the UF8 Advanced Studio DAW Controller - Page 28 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Solid State Logic unveils the UF8 Advanced Studio DAW Controller
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlavB ➡️
How does UF8 deal with Logic’s ‘summing stacks’ and Live’s ‘groups’?
When they are folded and collapsed, does UF8 mirror that?
Should do, as MCU-type devices are not smart on their own - remember, it's *Logic* that tells the control surface what to display, and Logic supports this for MCU devices. And yes, Logic will echo on control surfaces what you are doing in the arrange/mixer, including folding/unfolding track stacks, and multi-output instruments etc.

I don't know about Live...
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mu:zines ➡️
Should do, as MCU-type devices are not smart on their own - remember, it's *Logic* that tells the control surface what to display, and Logic supports this for MCU devices. And yes, Logic will echo on control surfaces what you are doing in the arrange/mixer, including folding/unfolding track stacks, and multi-output instruments etc.

I don't know about Live...
Good to hear, thanks!
Here for the gear

Quote:
In live you can fold/unfold groups whilst in the Arrangement view by pressing the select button twice on the group’s channel. You can’t unfold them in the session view to my knowledge though.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HectorP ➡️
In live you can fold/unfold groups whilst in the Arrangement view by pressing the select button twice on the group’s channel. You can’t unfold them in the session view to my knowledge though.
Thanks!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm setting up my new room and still sad about no Reaper native control

The UF8 would be perfect

Reaper users are people too

On a side note I finally "removed" pro-tools from my Macbook Pro but can't seem to get pro-tools off the computer so will have to wipe OSX. Reaper is such an amazing program I wish it got some love from SSL
Solid State Logic

🎧 10 years
...and I wish Reaper had good MCU implementation...

We are in discussions with a number of DAW manufacturers
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➡️
Agree. It would be great if it gets sorted out !

I’d love to be an SSL UF8 user
Lives for gear

Quote:

How well integrated is this with Cubase? Cheers.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
bought one. dig it!

already moving faster on it than mouse mixing with these two songs i’m mixing at the moment. set up was a breeze but the encoder isn’t working in “nudge” mode in PT. anyone have any tips on that? literally everything else seems to be working as expected.

Solid State Logic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 ➡️
How well integrated is this with Cubase? Cheers.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OPxK6dfgXBU
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

.. but Reaper has OSC protocol implemented.

Wouldn't it be possible for you guys to support that instead? You can literally control any feature in reaper through the OSC protocol.

It has no limits on what can be done as far as I can tell and is 100% customizable.

In my opinion, the Mackie HUI system is dated and completely silly to support (both from a DAW and controller perspective). Why on earth the main developers of various software and hardware haven't embraced OSC is beyond me. It just doesn't make much sense in 2021 to be stuck with something age old as Mackie HUI that was quite limited in many regards to begin with.

EDIT: For those that don't know what Open Sound Control is. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Sound_Control
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic ➡️
.. but Reaper has OSC protocol implemented.

Wouldn't it be possible for you guys to support that instead? You can literally control any feature in reaper through the OSC protocol.

It has no limits on what can be done as far as I can tell and is 100% customizable.

In my opinion, the Mackie HUI system is dated and completely silly to support (both from a DAW and controller perspective). Why on earth the main developers of various software and hardware haven't embraced OSC is beyond me. It just doesn't make much sense in 2021 to be stuck with something age old as Mackie HUI that was quite limited in many regards to begin with.

EDIT: For those that don't know what Open Sound Control is. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Sound_Control
And there still isn’t a plug and play OSC controller for Reaper. That’s why pro-tools having eucon is such a competitive advantage. I wish someone (ssl) would program out of the box plug and play controller for reaper.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
In my opinion, the Mackie HUI system is dated and completely silly to support (both from a DAW and controller perspective).
"Silly to support"..? It's obvious why they've done it this way - it gives a decent degree of control to the widest possible DAW userbase.

If there was a better, more modern, at-least-equally-compatible-to-MCU/HUI control surface standard available, then I'm sure they would have chosen to go that route... there isn't.

So in development terms, you look at the available options, and the cost and time involved and the target market, and make you decisions about what the product will be. Nothing silly about that.

I think we'd all love to see a more modern, well-supported controller standard implemented by all the DAWs in use that is more flexible than the MCU standard, maybe using OSC, MIDI or whatever technologies most appropriate. However, the people that have embarked on developing new control systems have largely chosen to keep them proprietry as a platform lock in (eg, Avid).

But haven't said that, the fact that MCU is still used today, twenty years on, show how much they got right in designing the thing in the first place that is still remains viable - albeit with differing levels of support from DAW developers (though that's more a support problem than a spec problem as such).
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Jim , pretty sure it has be discussed in your team , but may i ask why the creation of dedicated plugins for daws hasn t been validated ? Usually daw update never affect this ( like the mackie control protocol) still my alphatrack plugin works wonder in cubase and sonar thks to a 10 years old plugin ....

The use of a plugin could adress the 8 parameters only one page versus several pages for hui protocol , presonus did updated theirs for the faderport series via their plugin ... even if under the hood prettty sure the core is mackie control .
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
"Silly to support"..? It's obvious why they've done it this way - it gives a decent degree of control to the widest possible DAW userbase.

If there was a better, more modern, at-least-equally-compatible-to-MCU/HUI control surface standard available, then I'm sure they would have chosen to go that route... there isn't.
OSC is the better more modern standard. As far as I know, Bitwig, Cubase, Logic and Ableton all support OSC.

Quote:
So in development terms, you look at the available options, and the cost and time involved and the target market, and make you decisions about what the product will be. Nothing silly about that.

I think we'd all love to see a more modern, well-supported controller standard implemented by all the DAWs in use that is more flexible than the MCU standard, maybe using OSC, MIDI or whatever technologies most appropriate. However, the people that have embarked on developing new control systems have largely chosen to keep them proprietry as a platform lock in (eg, Avid).

But haven't said that, the fact that MCU is still used today, twenty years on, show how much they got right in designing the thing in the first place that is still remains viable - albeit with differing levels of support from DAW developers (though that's more a support problem than a spec problem as such).
Yes I do understand that. My point was merely a general one.

For an industry to change, the large players have to get together and adopt better protocols. OSC is such a protocol.

Luckily the industry IS changing with MIDI 2.0 but it's happening extremely slowly.. and it is unfortunate that OSC was never properly considered. It's just such an amazingly flexible system.

If everybody used OSC instead of the outdated midi and various other proprietary control systems the userbase could pretty much tailor any controller to do pretty much anything they want. Same for any synthesizers and other control signals.

Also, in the case of Reaper. Jim from SSL here was stating that Reaper has such a weak Mackie MCU system, which may indeed be true, but perhaps it is deprecated by the OSC system instead? It's a catch 22. Why would Cockos invest any significant time developing the outdated system when there is a superior system already in place?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
One week in with on and off use and still think the UF8 is leagues above the competition out there of small format MCU controllers. If only those, TRIM, LATCH and TOUCH buttons worked in Cubendo
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
OSC is the better more modern standard. As far as I know, Bitwig, Cubase, Logic and Ableton all support OSC.
Sure, it's a better messaging standard. But there is no "control support" standard that they all implement, as far as I know. Meaning one would need to be designed, on top of the messaging standard (which would define standard ways of addressing channels and controls, plugins, the automation system etc etc).

Quote:
For an industry to change, the large players have to get together and adopt better protocols. OSC is such a protocol
Totally agree, and was alluding to that in my post. However, that's not something that will happen in the scope of making this product - it's a much wider initiative outside of a single product development effort that the industry has to be willing to recognise the need for and embrace.

Given how long the MCU has been around, and it hasn't happened yet, it looks like most parties involved are like "eh, what we have is good enough for us" and so there would be a fair amount of inertia to overcome to achieve this.

It happened for MIDI, but hasn't happened with that much else over the past 40 years...!

However, looking forward ten or twenty years, I can't believe controllers would still be using the MCU protocol, so something eventually is likely to replace it...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Guyz , using the focus mode , is this allows to lock it to a parameter no matter what the mouse is pointing after ... ?
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➡️
Guyz , using the focus mode , is this allows to lock it to a parameter no matter what the mouse is pointing after ... ?
No, at least as far as I can tell from my tests thus far.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezerman ➡️
No, at least as far as I can tell from my tests thus far.
Thks , pretty handy here on my faderport 1 , wanted to know if it's working the same way , could you remind me , is it stepped ?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Regarding logic, I have programmed quick keys 1 and 2 to open and close folder stacks. I first have to select the stack on the faders or course but can then open and close them with the uf8.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Yes I do understand that. My point was merely a general one.

For an industry to change, the large players have to get together and adopt better protocols. OSC is such a protocol.

Luckily the industry IS changing with MIDI 2.0 but it's happening extremely slowly.. and it is unfortunate that OSC was never properly considered. It's just such an amazingly flexible system.

If everybody used OSC instead of the outdated midi and various other proprietary control systems the userbase could pretty much tailor any controller to do pretty much anything they want. Same for any synthesizers and other control signals.

Also, in the case of Reaper. Jim from SSL here was stating that Reaper has such a weak Mackie MCU system, which may indeed be true, but perhaps it is deprecated by the OSC system instead? It's a catch 22. Why would Cockos invest any significant time developing the outdated system when there is a superior system already in place?
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/stu...the-first-time

Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➡️
Thks , pretty handy here on my faderport 1 , wanted to know if it's working the same way , could you remind me , is it stepped ?
Yes, it's stepped
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasmasset ➡️
Regarding logic, I have programmed quick keys 1 and 2 to open and close folder stacks. I first have to select the stack on the faders or course but can then open and close them with the uf8.
There is a key command in Logic to toggle open/close folder stacks. This would save you a key...
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezerman ➡️
Yes, it's stepped
Thks
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
@ [email protected] Jim, is it thinkable the 360 software would be available to use for Nucleus at some point? Or different worlds?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by flonky ➡️
There is a key command in Logic to toggle open/close folder stacks. This would save you a key...
Thanks! Toggle would be great.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quick question about dimensions for anyone that has a rack mounted UF8. Do the 8 faders line up with the 8 slots in an API 8b 500 series rack when the UF8 is mounted? I’m thinking of filling a rack with EQs and having the UF8 mounted below for a DAW controller/ analog eq hybrid. It’s not a dealbreaker if they don’t but might change how I physically lay everything out if I can’t make it work like a console.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
So here is a thought - the send/plugin keys - pressing them does nothing (they only light up to indicate the selected slot) - would it not be a whole lot more useful if these keys actually did something? so that you could press key 3 to select slot 3? I actually thought they were broken . . . it seems like a huge waste to just have these 8 keys as indicator lights . . . (I am using Logic)
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Solid State Logic

🎧 10 years
That’s how Logic does it. You can move between sends and plug-in slots using the up/down keys.

It works as you describe with PT.
📝 Reply