Solid State Logic unveils the UF8 Advanced Studio DAW Controller - Page 27 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Solid State Logic unveils the UF8 Advanced Studio DAW Controller
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk ➡️
Hi Jim,

There was no quote in your post. Can you clarify what’s in the works for the next release?

Thanks.
He responded to the post asking about Big Sur compatibility.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➡️
Are the both set up as MCUs, or one as an MCU and the other as an extender?
Hi Jim, Thanks for the reply, I already had the iCon in Logic and working as a Mackie Control unit, then added the UF8, I have tried them both on the same line in (Logic control surface) setup (as an extender) and also tried them on their own dedicated lines but they conflict with each other if they are both powered on and connected. By comparison I also have a Behringer X-Touch One (single fader) surface and this works great with the UF8, no issues at all. Currently I have the iCon disconnected . . . . . I have one other question please, the background colour of the TFT displays on my UF8 does not appear to be visibly blue, to the naked eye they are really 'backlit black/grey' Do you think this is normal or might there be a calibration issue with my unit? I've not seen another one but I am not seeing any blue at all unless (for some weird reason) I take a photo and then they appear in the pic as very slightly blue. Does this sound normal to you or in your experience should the TFT's be visibly blue? I am being quite picky of course Thanks
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonharris ➡️
Hi Jim, Thanks for the reply, I already had the iCon in Logic and working as a Mackie Control unit, then added the UF8, I have tried them both on the same line in (Logic control surface) setup (as an extender) and also tried them on their own dedicated lines but they conflict with each other if they are both powered on and connected. By comparison I also have a Behringer X-Touch One (single fader) surface and this works great with the UF8, no issues at all. Currently I have the iCon disconnected . . . . . I have one other question please, the background colour of the TFT displays on my UF8 does not appear to be visibly blue, to the naked eye they are really 'backlit black/grey' Do you think this is normal or might there be a calibration issue with my unit? I've not seen another one but I am not seeing any blue at all unless (for some weird reason) I take a photo and then they appear in the pic as very slightly blue. Does this sound normal to you or in your experience should the TFT's be visibly blue? I am being quite picky of course Thanks
Its has to be the Icon with the bug. I applied the same steps as you did using the Icon Platform M+ and Platform X+ set up the the X-Touch One and came across the same results. I didnt halve this problem using the Xtouch One plus Avid Artist Mix. By the way, do you mind uploading a pic of the display on your UF8??? I'm curious to see the non blueish black and white backlit.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
sorry not sure how I upload a pic, it asks me for a website address for one and i don't have a website

OK figured this out now, here's a pic of the displays on my UF8, like I said it does have a dark blueish hue in photos but not to the eye, I've never seen the bright blue BG at all . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat Head ➡️
Its has to be the Icon with the bug. I applied the same steps as you did using the Icon Platform M+ and Platform X+ set up the the X-Touch One and came across the same results. I didnt halve this problem using the Xtouch One plus Avid Artist Mix. By the way, do you mind uploading a pic of the display on your UF8??? I'm curious to see the non blueish black and white backlit.
please see my new reply with pics, if i take a pic of them it appears slightly blue, in the same way that the white buttons look slightly blue in a pic, pretty sure that's the way that the camera frame freezes the LED fluctuation
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
OK figured this out now, here's a pic of the displays on my UF8, like I said it does have a dark blueish hue in photos but not to the eye, I've never seen the bright blue BG at all . . .
Tht seen right and natural as mine look the same to the naked eye. Another thing to take note, camera lens seem to make blue lights more bluer and white lights to appear blue in pictures and videos. I remember when I first bought the JBL 305s MKII 2 Series, the power indicator light was blue in all videos and pictures but it was snow white to the naked eye. Alot of JBL owners notice the same.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
OK adjusted for accuracy, this is very close to how one of the displays appears to the eye . . .

Quote:
Tht seen right and natural as mine look the same to the naked eye. Another thing to take note, camera lens seem to make blue lights more bluer and white lights to appear blue in pictures and videos. I remember when I first bought the JBL 305s MKII 2 Series, the power indicator light was blue in all videos and pictures but it was snow white to the naked eye. Alot of JBL owners notice the same.
Please see my latest pic, this is almost exactly how it looks
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Please see my latest pic, this is almost exactly how it looks
Yea that's definitely different than wht I have in person. Idk. Uou may prefer tht color over the blue tint. It seem like it will help see the display more clear from angles.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yea that's definitely different than wht I have in person. Idk. Uou may prefer tht color over the blue tint. It seem like it will help see the display more clear from angles.
The colour is the same from all angles, slightly lighter grey from extreme left/right but the hue pretty much matches that pic
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
In the works. Likely be the next software release.
Ummm. I'm running Big Sur and no issues with 360. Am I missing something?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfonta ➡️
Ummm. I'm running Big Sur and no issues with 360. Am I missing something?
I initially installed the SSL360 software under Catalina. All good. Then I upgraded to Big Sur and the SSL360 doesn't work, the UF8 doesn't work.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Ok I do see on the SSL site that Big Sur is not officially supported. However i have had no issues at all with 360 on big sur. I don’t recall it often since I’ve set it up for Logic but it does come up and do what it’s supposed to do. I’m running an Intel based iMac Pro fwiw. I had Big Sur installed before i got this so i didn’t upgrade to it after the fact.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by flonky ➡️
I initially installed the SSL360 software under Catalina. All good. Then I upgraded to Big Sur and the SSL360 doesn't work, the UF8 doesn't work.
Mine has been fine from the get go, but I did have Big Sur installed already.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I reinstalled SSL360 under Big Sur and now it works fine!
Gear Maniac

Somewhat related...anyone running their UF8 on an M1 with Big Sur?
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I have a 2018 (intel) MacBook Pro running Big Sur with the 360 software and uf8 hardware working great on Logic X, running 99.9% flawlessly, as advertised. Except for one minor thing, when scrolling through banks on the uf8 logic’s mixer doesn’t follow the control surface bar that indicates where I’m at with my bank selections.

With Ableton Live 10 or 11 on Big Sur it sucks really bad and doesn’t work. Hardly nothing works on it. The basic functions like play and stop work and the faders do control what’s on screen but once you scroll to another bank the faders don’t adjust to what’s on screen and the faders don’t align back when you return where you left off. That could be maybe because of the OS situation. I haven’t tested it out on anything before Big Sur so I can’t speak on that. Anyone have their uf8 working good with ableton live on any pre Big Sur OS? Catalina maybe?
Here for the gear

Quick question to someone that owns one and has it in front of them:

Is there a setting in the UF8 or 360 where I can have it select a track when a fader is touched?
I currently have my Console 1 Fader set up in this way so I never press the 'Select' button, just touch the fader I want, which I find quicker. Unfortunately though the lack of scribble strips means the C1F doesn't get the use it should and seeing as I can do most functions via the Console 1 itself, I'd prefer to have a more full featured fader controller. I'll still keep my Faderport for the dedicated transport control though...(dissapointing omission on the UF8 IMO...)
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yimbot ➡️
Quick question to someone that owns one and has it in front of them:

Is there a setting in the UF8 or 360 where I can have it select a track when a fader is touched?
I currently have my Console 1 Fader set up in this way so I never press the 'Select' button, just touch the fader I want, which I find quicker. Unfortunately though the lack of scribble strips means the C1F doesn't get the use it should and seeing as I can do most functions via the Console 1 itself, I'd prefer to have a more full featured fader controller. I'll still keep my Faderport for the dedicated transport control though...(dissapointing omission on the UF8 IMO...)
It doesn't work that way with Studio One. I'm not sure if it does with other DAWs.

Last edited by tomtama; 1 week ago at 11:37 AM.. Reason: Corrected an error
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by -LETHAL-ONE- ➡️
Except for one minor thing, when scrolling through banks on the uf8 logic’s mixer doesn’t follow the control surface bar that indicates where I’m at with my bank selections.
That's by design. Logic's mixer *shouldn't* scroll according to which fader bank is active, because what the mixer is showing in a given window, versus what a given controller is doing, are separate contexts.

EG If I'm watching the first few channels for levels and have my mixer window positioned to do that, the mixer window shouldn't scroll that out of view just because I fader banked up my controller to control some later mixer channels.

Also consider the case with multiple control surfaces - if Logic's mixer would always scroll to show the currently highlighted fader bank channels, what should happen if one controler is controlling channels 1-8, and a second controller is controlling channels 140-148?

I understand the expecation in simple cases that you might thinkg Logic's mixer should scroll to always show the channels being controller by the fader bank, but it doesn't work like that for good reasons.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtama ➡️
It doesn't work that way with Studio One. I'm not sure if it does with other DAWs.
Thanks Mate - I use S1 mostly too...
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mu:zines ➡️
That's by design. Logic's mixer *shouldn't* scroll according to which fader bank is active, because what the mixer is showing in a given window, versus what a given controller is doing, are separate contexts.

EG If I'm watching the first few channels for levels and have my mixer window positioned to do that, the mixer window shouldn't scroll that out of view just because I fader banked up my controller to control some later mixer channels.

Also consider the case with multiple control surfaces - if Logic's mixer would always scroll to show the currently highlighted fader bank channels, what should happen if one controler is controlling channels 1-8, and a second controller is controlling channels 140-148?

I understand the expecation in simple cases that you might thinkg Logic's mixer should scroll to always show the channels being controller by the fader bank, but it doesn't work like that for good reasons.
One can only dream of such a feature....
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by -LETHAL-ONE- ➡️
One can only dream of such a feature....
Submit it to Apple as a feature request, probably along the lines of a Mixer -> View option, something like "Mixer follows fader bank of -> Control Surface 3"...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Anyone using this in Cubase in combination with Softube's Console 1? If so how do they pair up? Cheers.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mu:zines ➡️
In Logic, just find the master fader assignment and delete it. Now that 9th fader won't do anything (or you could reassign it to do something else).

(I don't know about other DAWs features in this regard.)
👍 thanks for the tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 ➡️
Anyone using this in Cubase in combination with Softube's Console 1? If so how do they pair up? Cheers.
All good. Full control of Console 1 parameters and no conflict issues. Loving it.

I've only spent a couple of days with the UF8, but think SSL have done a great job here. I wanted a small controller for the edit room and had tried the xtouch etc and I couldn't get on with them at all. Mostly a feel and noise thing. The UF8 on the other hand is exceptional. Solidly built, quiet, great display screens with usable meters and the very well thought out companion '360' software that you can launch from the unit.

My only gripe is that I wish they'd gone for 'separate' master (with transport) and fader modules that you can link together. Separate is best so we can arrange them in whatever way works for us. Master, fader, fader - Fader, master, fader etc.

That'd be 1 x master and 2 x fader modules bought already. C'mon Jim, you know it makes sense!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezerman ➡️
All good. Full control of Console 1 parameters and no conflict issues. Loving it.

I've only spent a couple of days with the UF8, but think SSL have done a great job here. I wanted a small controller for the edit room and had tried the xtouch etc and I couldn't get on with them at all. Mostly a feel and noise thing. The UF8 on the other hand is exceptional. Solidly built, quiet, great display screens with usable meters and the very well thought out companion '360' software that you can launch from the unit.

My only gripe is that I wish they'd gone for 'separate' master (with transport) and fader modules that you can link together. Separate is best so we can arrange them in whatever way works for us. Master, fader, fader - Fader, master, fader etc.

That'd be 1 x master and 2 x fader modules bought already. C'mon Jim, you know it makes sense!
I hear you. I think they should make a 10 fader extender without the side buttons.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
anyone who has rack mounted theirs mind sharing a photo?

thinking about doing a single bay 12u desk and keeping it in front of me. just curious about the ergonomics of having it rack mounted vs table top
Solid State Logic

🎧 10 years
Does this count?
Attached Thumbnails
Solid State Logic unveils the UF8 Advanced Studio DAW Controller-rackmount-uf8.jpg  
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Smile

Quote:
Does this count?
Fantastic!
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
So... anyone out there who can come up with great reasons that will convince me to buy two UF8s instead of a Nucleus2?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
In the automation section 'bottom left' of the controller, I can't seem to use the 'trim, latch and touch' buttons. Are they non functioning in Cubase/Nuendo v11?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
How does UF8 deal with Logic’s ‘summing stacks’ and Live’s ‘groups’?
When they are folded and collapsed, does UF8 mirror that?
📝 Reply