The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Black Rooster Audio RO-140 Vintage Plate Reverb (inspired by EMT 140 and other old plate reverbs)
Old 27th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Black Rooster Audio RO-140 Vintage Plate Reverb (inspired by EMT 140 and other old plate reverbs)

So no word on this...anybody tested this?

INTRODUCING THE RO-140

We are excited to share a brand new plug-in that we have been working on for the past few months: the RO-140 Vintage Plate Reverb.

Our first ever reverb plug-in packs a punch! The RO-140 was faithfully modelled after its legendary hardware counterparts, while still remaining a Black Rooster Audio original at its core.

This versatile plate reverb plug-in allows you to take your productions to the next level by uncovering a new level of detailed audio customization. Not only does it capture the sound of sought-after hardware classics such as the EMT 140, but it also allows you to create your own sound, with a virtually infinite amount of combinations between plate materials and plate sizes, dampening and pre-delay controls. Vintage sound with a twist - a true Black Rooster Audio Classic!

Key features of the RO-140:

Inspired by the EMT 140 and other classic hardware plate reverbs.
It features six physically accurate plate materials: gold, silver, steel, aluminum, bronze and titanium. While aluminum and steel are standard materials, the other four are notoriously rare due to their costly nature.
Three plate modes: Mono, Stereo (with identical plates) and Mono2Stereo (with 2 different realtime auto-balanced plates).
The plate size control allows you to adjust the size of your chosen plate.
Split-mode pre-delay, for fine adjustments from 0 to 1ms.
Mix parameter, for direct signal insertion as an alternative for send/aux busses.
Contains a classic 10-step dampening control for maximum customizability.
Its 3-band parametric EQ allows for detailed shaping of the reverb signal.
Adjustable gain staging at the in- and output stages.
SSE2 optimised code ensures a high-performance operation despite its very complex computations.

Because you are a member of our Black Rooster Audio Family, you have the access to our exclusive, limited time only deal.

Get the RO-140 for $59 instead of $69
with the code: BRAFAM!
Old 27th January 2021
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Black Lion is now a reverb company? Neat.
Old 27th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 ➡️
It's Black Rooster Audio actually, Black Lion is a different company.
Old 27th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
There are two companies: Black Lion the US hardware manufacturers & modifiers, and Black Rooster the German plugin developers. This is the later. I haven't tried this particular plugin but I have all their other stuff and they are top quality. Their compressors and pultec eq's sound great.

I love EMT 140 and I'll definitely demo this one, although I am very happy with Arturia's Plate-140.
Old 28th January 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Reimund Dratwa is one of the developer from Black Rooster Audio. His project is also Fuse Audio Labs. He does a lot of work (circuit modelling and DSP) for maaaany Plugin Alliance plugins.
Old 28th January 2021
Lives for gear

I just noticed the email - tempted to buy without trying considering the company and the product....

But I guess I'll demo!
Old 28th January 2021
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Being a emt140 fan I love this
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Stravinsky ➡️
It's Black Rooster Audio actually, Black Lion is a different company.
Whoops! I am getting old and typed that post out too fast hehehe.
Old 28th January 2021
Lives for gear

Yeah this rules.

To my ears, it's as good or better than good IRs, and it's very flexible. GUI is pretty, intuitive, and has just the right amount of controls.

I'm going to use the heck out of this.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereo Flux ➡️
Reimund Dratwa is one of the developer from Black Rooster Audio. His project is also Fuse Audio Labs. He does a lot of work (circuit modelling and DSP) for maaaany Plugin Alliance plugins.
AFAIK Ray did not code this one.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesha ➡️
Was wondering about that.
Gear Maniac

I've been thinking the same thing about you,bro
Old 28th January 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I beta tested this, it actually went through a lot of testing. We worked hard on this one and it is the most convincing plate algo I've heard. You can wrap sounds in it. I really love the low damper settings, you can get almost a slap back vocal effect that is so good.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Black Lion is the company that used to be owned by the Dizengoff Audio guy.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesha ➡️
AFAIK, he didn't code also Edelweiss'72 and Canary...
Fuse Audio Labs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereo Flux ➡️
AFAIK, he didn't code also Edelweiss'72 and Canary...
Correct, no involvement on these two or the RO-140 on my end.

Oh and please, go check out the RO-140 everyone ;-)
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recourt ➡️
I beta tested this, it actually went through a lot of testing. We worked hard on this one and it is the most convincing plate algo I've heard. You can wrap sounds in it. I really love the low damper settings, you can get almost a slap back vocal effect that is so good.
Well, the audio demos on the site certainly DON'T hint at that direction.

I understand that this is the way to let potential customers "hear" the processing but as it stands, the audio is (imo) not "wrapped". it is soaked (apparently most companies showcase their reverbs that way, which is a shame).

I'd like to hear samples the are processed with more real-life reverb wetness (-12db to -24dB).
Old 28th January 2021
Lives for gear

Hi. I already checked on that one. For existing customers it's 50 Euro right now, tax already included. It's a fair price for this plugin. The sound, how could I describe it? It's legit. I never heard such a thing from an algo. (is it an algo?)

Tonal shaping is awesome and feels natural and so analog. This thing not only creates depths and space, it's capable of completely re-shape audio or consolidate a track by using it in parallel. It can add huge and warm body in no time or bring very good sounding sizzle and sparkle to your track.

For that price a no brainer. Didn't expect that and fell in love right from the first minute using it.

As always with black rooster, their plugins have a character of their own. They just don't do the same clones of the already existent things. This is very unique. Can't recommend enough as well as all their other stuff.

Considering the EQ section alone, which is awesome, I have high hopes for the future... Maybe there will be an EQ plugin from BRA some day?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tan ➡️

I understand that this is the way to let potential customers "hear" the processing but as it stands, the audio is (imo) not "wrapped". it is soaked (apparently most companies showcase their reverbs that way, which is a shame).

I'd like to hear samples the are processed with more real-life reverb wetness (-12db to -24dB).
Just demo it yourself, that's the best demo you can get
I know what you mean and I see it similar. But you have to let the people actually hear how that reverb tail sounds. If you do it subtle, many people won't even recognize it at all possibly. As I heard the demo tracks I immediately knew what to expect and what great potential there is. But demoing - was an insta buy for me - it myself left me simply astonished in the positive way.
Company Rep

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Everyone's got their taste and while we need to showcase the "EFFECT" on the website, you are free to demo the thing for 14-days to judge. It is important to raise awareness, but how shall we cover every decent scenario?!

I strongly recommend to create samples yourself - and if this is working, share them with us here. Thank you!
Old 28th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hmmm looks exciting !

Will not have time to play with demo for a few days yet. What's the deal with the Predelay setting -- it goes from 0ms to 1ms to 500ms....? Not sure I understand why.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichttuntun ➡️
Just demo it yourself, that's the best demo you can get
Yea, usually I tend to agree.

Problem is, there are SOOOO many reverb processors around, one cannot demo each and everyone. it's just silly. IMO, the developers must do the best they can in order to cater for as much potential clients as they can.

I have UVI Plate.... Valhalla Plate... Soundtoys 140.... Breeze... many plates. more that I can remember (and of course the venerable Greg Hopkins IR's coupled with Reverberate 3, esp. with its new dispersion and modulation capabilities - and that is BEFORE we even talk about Reverberate's internal F.IR libraries). man, I can feed an entire platoon with all those plates !

Personally I wound add ANOTHER option in their media player - in which the reverb is mixed in a more "real-life" fashion.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRooster ➡️
Everyone's got their taste and while we need to showcase the "EFFECT" on the website, you are free to demo the thing for 14-days to judge. It is important to raise awareness, but how shall we cover every decent scenario?!

I strongly recommend to create samples yourself - and if this is working, share them with us here. Thank you!
See my answer to @ nichttuntun
Old 28th January 2021
Lao
Here for the gear

This sounds good, won't replace Valhalla Plate as my go-to reverb but it definitely has its uses. It sounds quite different than the Arturia Rev-140 also.

So far, I have troubles finding settings to make it work on drums, the 'halo' is always too noticeable for me. It's really nice to drown a guitar, rounds the edges nicely.

I think it will join Valhalla Plate and Arturia Rev-140 in my reverb arsenal.
Old 28th January 2021
Company Rep

🎧 5 years

This physically modelled plate reverb emulation plug-in offers six material options, as well as classic dampening and pre-delay controls, adding just the right amount of vintage flair to your productions. Perfect for drums, vocals, guitar and even sound design!

Coming at an affordable $69, this plug-in will surely refine your tracks with some sweet vintage reverberation.

Save $10 on your purchase with code: GEARSLUTZ10

Test & Purchase here: https://blackroosteraudio.com/en/landing/ro-140

Inspired by the classics
This plug-in was inspired by the EMT 140 and other classic plate reverbs.

6 Plate Materials
Choose between six plate materials: gold, silver, steel, aluminum, bronze and titanium. Customise your sound further by adjusting the plate’s size.

Classic Dampening Control
Get complete control over the reverb decay time with the physically modelled version of a classic dampening control, and choose between 10 damper positions by clicking the + and - buttons.

Classic Pre-Delay Control
The classic pre-delay control determines the amount of delay between the dry and wet signals. It was purposefully placed after the plate reverb emulation to enable users to modulate the reverb tail with the DAW automation.

Adjustable Gain-Staging at the In- and Output Stage
This gives you the ability to control the pre-processing input gain level, as well as the post-processing output gain level.

SSE2 optimized code
DSP operations are pipelined using the SSE2 instruction set. This ensures a high-performance operation despite our plug-ins’ very complex computations.

HighDPI/Retina Support
The user interfaces support high pixel density on both Windows and Mac OS systems, giving you the most enjoyable user experience on high DPI displays.

System Requirements
Minimum System Requirements (MAC)
SSE2 compatible processor (Intel Core CPU recommended)
1GB of RAM
Mac OSX 10.9 or newer
VST, AU or AAX compatible host (64bit)
Display resolution of 1280x1024 pixels or higher

Minimum System Requirements (WINDOWS)
SSE2 compatible processor (Intel Core CPU recommended)
1GB of RAM
Windows 7 or newer
VST or AAX compatible host
Display resolution of 1280x1024 pixels or higher
Old 28th January 2021
Company Rep

🎧 5 years
RO-140 Examples

Old 28th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I already have :- Kush GoldPlate, LiquidSonics Lustrious Plates, Arturia Plate 140 and have used the demos of Transatlantic Plate and Denise Perfect Plate. GoldPlate and Lustrious Plates are my favourites I’ve used and the Transatlantic Plate also sounds great.
It will be interesting to hear how RO-140 compares to these
Old 28th January 2021
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Looks nice for sure, but... still no VST 3 support?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yea, usually I tend to agree.

Problem is, there are SOOOO many reverb processors around, one cannot demo each and everyone. it's just silly. IMO, the developers must do the best they can in order to cater for as much potential clients as they can.

I have UVI Plate.... Valhalla Plate... Soundtoys 140.... Breeze... many plates. more that I can remember (and of course the venerable Greg Hopkins IR's coupled with Reverberate 3, esp. with its new dispersion and modulation capabilities - and that is BEFORE we even talk about Reverberate's internal F.IR libraries). man, I can feed an entire platoon with all those plates !

Personally I wound add ANOTHER option in their media player - in which the reverb is mixed in a more "real-life" fashion.
Hey, you got too much stuff. I only got Valhallha Plate and normal reverbs which have a plate algo also, what isn't the same of course.

I am thinking a year or so now of buying a second only plate. Had Kush Goldplate in mind but it's too expensive for its features and misses a more unique tonal character for me. It's more like a lexicon and I already covered that territory. The Transatlantic plate kept my interest but it's expensive even in sale and very limited and IR based and so I cancelled those both. Denis had a plate out by now but Denise Audio has become an absolute no go for me generally.

So as I love BRA plugins from the past, this came like a bliss. Perfect timing First WireTape from AudioThing, now this incredible tool. What fantastic times.

2021 is the year of being extreme picky about new plugins and even more about the ones I already got. I already cleaned up many folders and even threw complete companies out, like Denise, SKnote and Waves 100%. Only the coolest, most individual sounding analog plugins will manage it into the collection. And of course everything Raimund and Lindell will code
Company Rep

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge Ruiz ➡️
Looks nice for sure, but... still no VST 3 support?
Yeah, there have been some throwbacks last year, so we have not been able to implement such fundamental changes. But: There is no REAL benefit from VST3 over VST2.4 - at least not sound-wise. So any VST host should accept the plug-in and play well.
📝 Reply