Quantcast
Black Rooster Audio RO-140 Vintage Plate Reverb (inspired by EMT 140 and other old plate reverbs) - Page 7 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Black Rooster Audio RO-140 Vintage Plate Reverb (inspired by EMT 140 and other old plate reverbs)
Old 24th March 2021 | Show parent
  #181
Lives for gear
 
nichttuntun's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonProm ➡️
I am pretty new to reverb types. My assumption is, that this / plate reverb plugins in total are not the best solution for getting a realistic reverbs of small recording rooms i.e. to fatten up vocals or guitars a bit... am I right, or would the RO 140 be a great match for my purpose?
They are great for adding character and getting separation for channels to stand out individually like vox or lead instruments.

It's important to have early reflections mixed before applying a plate, depending on the often limited possibilities within plate reverbs themselves.

Can be a great thing to have them directly on a snare for example.

A performance is lacking body or a special tone? Those a plate to beef it up again.

I often use a special plate characteristic as first instance on an EFX AUX, before I apply reverb or other effects like tape delay and many more. The RO140 is perfect for that kind of sound design.

Just experiment with it.

Tip of the day...apply parallel ER to an AUX, create an additional AUX to send the first one into. Get RO140 with very short settings on the second AUX for Color and a bit of space information, followed by an 1176 (pulsar 1178 maybe) to get groovy action and feed that into Audio thing Wires on the same AUX...all channels routed back into one same stem. Killer on leads or short notes staccato or synth ARP.
Old 24th March 2021 | Show parent
  #182
Lives for gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonProm ➡️
I am pretty new to reverb types. My assumption is, that this / plate reverb plugins in total are not the best solution for getting a realistic reverbs of small recording rooms i.e. to fatten up vocals or guitars a bit... am I right, or would the RO 140 be a great match for my purpose?
Would not. It’s not a “realistic” reverb. Think of sound waves bouncing off a sheet of metal.

For small rooms for not a ton of $$, check out D16 Spacerek. But there’s many alternatives if you want a more general reverb that can emulate all sorts of things, from plates to rooms to halls and chambers (eg the old but excellent Exponential Audio reverbs are on sale).
Old 24th March 2021 | Show parent
  #183
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 ➡️
Would not. It’s not a “realistic” reverb. Think of sound waves bouncing off a sheet of metal.

For small rooms for not a ton of $$, check out D16 Spacerek. But there’s many alternatives if you want a more general reverb that can emulate all sorts of things, from plates to rooms to halls and chambers (eg the old but excellent Exponential Audio reverbs are on sale).
Many thanks! Can you name a few other alternatives that would help me a lot facing the variety of reverb plugins out there and obviously I missed the EA reverb sale
Old 25th March 2021 | Show parent
  #184
Gear Addict
 
candyflip's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonProm ➡️
Many thanks! Can you name a few other alternatives that would help me a lot facing the variety of reverb plugins out there and obviously I missed the EA reverb sale
Give IK's Sunset Sound a demo... has a fairly small but great selection of ISO booths, live rooms, chambers, plates (one of which is also a 140 I think) and a spring, modelled from Sunset Sound Studio in LA. Some nice, natural-sounding options in there.

"T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb gives you a total of 12 spaces, with 3 echo chambers, 3 live rooms and 3 vocal booths, plus vintage EMT and Echoplate plate reverbs and an AKG spring reverb still in use at the facility today."

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/trsunsetsound/
Old 25th March 2021
  #185
Gear Head
 
For a multipurpose reverb I can recommend Waves H-reverb. Uber easy and even has drive, compressor and other stuff. You can't go wrong with Valhalla VintageVerb too, one of the best all terrain and easy.

About the BRA 140, can't think of another one for a snare, love it!

Recently I added it to a main Vox (send), followed by the Kh-comp1 (a must-have compressor) on SC with the main Vox, to duck the reverb leaving that beautiful tail flowing between fast release (The track is a pop ballad, with some 50's vibe)

And then did another send (main Vox again, not the reverb one) to a Valhalla delay, just for fun and guess what, it worked like charm xD
Old 25th March 2021 | Show parent
  #186
Gear Nut
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanjava ➡️
For a multipurpose reverb I can recommend Waves H-reverb. Uber easy and even has drive, compressor and other stuff. You can't go wrong with Valhalla VintageVerb too, one of the best all terrain and easy.
H-Reverb can be a bit cpu intensive though, and while VVV is the best for cpu, it isn't geared so much towards realism if that's what you're going for... Valhalla Rooms would be better for that. Valhalla has a nice demo policy, you can demo their plugins as long as you like but the audio fades out every 45 seconds and you can't save presets.

I was hoping RO-140 would make it easy to sound like the vocalist (dry vocal sample in this case) was trapped in a metal container, but found it surprisingly hard to convey that....
Old 25th March 2021
  #187
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Any news on Big Sur (not M1, just the OS)?
Old 3rd April 2021 | Show parent
  #188
Lives for gear
 
Anyone compared this directly to Liquidsonics Lustrous Plates?
Old 3rd April 2021 | Show parent
  #189
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by MogwaiBoy ➡️
Anyone compared this directly to Liquidsonics Lustrous Plates?
I have both, dont remember last time I used RO-140, it always gets replaced by something else. Sounds flat to me.
Used lustrous plates today and it always stays. When I want plate vibe I go with lustrous plates.
Old 4th April 2021 | Show parent
  #190
Lives for gear
 
Thanks for your insight! Lustrous is the "be-all, end-all" for me - so good to know it hasn't been bettered.
Old 4th April 2021 | Show parent
  #191
Lives for gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MogwaiBoy ➡️
Thanks for your insight! Lustrous is the "be-all, end-all" for me - so good to know it hasn't been bettered.
I prefer the TA plate. *shrug*
Old 4th April 2021 | Show parent
  #192
Gear Maniac
 
loudscape's Avatar
 
I had a hard time finding a good use for this at first. Definitely responds better to some material than others, but once it clicks it's very nice.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 140 views: 21099
Avatar for Basslik
Basslik 30th June 2012
replies: 74 views: 16236
Avatar for seancostello
seancostello 19th May 2014
replies: 394 views: 63393
Avatar for Glenn Bucci
Glenn Bucci 8th April 2020
replies: 992 views: 106046
Avatar for funkyman
funkyman 2 weeks ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump