The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Lavry Engineering Gold AD Savitr
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Mines shipping in two weeks
Will be back to report...or maybe I’ll just be off in heaven-and never come back...
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by parisminzer ➡️
Mines shipping in two weeks
Will be back to report...or maybe I’ll just be off in heaven-and never come back...
I think mines coming in 2 as well
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge ➡️
I think mines coming in 2 as well
Hi Rounbadge,

You can ignore this if you prefer. I’m curious as to what you do. Are you a producer, recording engineer, mix engineer or mastering engineer? Or maybe just a crazy enthusiast?

Reason I ask is, you seem to be on a never ending quest for new high end converters. I recently upgraded mine, and in the process, tried to search down and follow every (high end-ish) converter thread on GS, and keep running into you about to trial the latest and greatest. So got me curious.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 ➡️
Hi Rounbadge,

You can ignore this if you prefer. I’m curious as to what you do. Are you a producer, recording engineer, mix engineer or mastering engineer? Or maybe just a crazy enthusiast?

Reason I ask is, you seem to be on a never ending quest for new high end converters. I recently upgraded mine, and in the process, tried to search down and follow every (high end-ish) converter thread on GS, and keep running into you about to trial the latest and greatest. So got me curious.
These days I do a lot of film/tv + commercial.music..A little bit of everything I guess.maybe not so much mastering.
yeah absolutely crazy too.I come from studer/3m /API console world.always searching.

Last edited by RoundBadge; 3 weeks ago at 06:43 PM..
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Reason I ask is, you seem to be on a never ending quest for new high end converters. I recently upgraded mine
What did you end up upgrading to?
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge ➡️
What did you end up upgrading to?
I was using an Apollo x6 clocked with a Grimm CC2 (which worked nicely) and recently bought a Prism Atlas (which I got for the cost of a Titan), and also clocking it with the Grimm and using the ADAT and SPDIFF to loop mixes out to 8 channels of analogue summing and stereo bus processing and back into the DAW via the x6 (I like the UA thunderbolt stability).

The Atlas has a nice subtle colour to it, and I wanted to upgrade the DA and AD (to make the clocking simpler), although I was previously looking at an even higher end 2 channel AD box, and theAD+ was at the top of my list. I'm enjoying the results with the Atlas currently, but possibly it softens the transients more than I would prefer (which I suspect might be the dynamic range), so I'm going to test using the x6 DA and Atlas AD and see how I like that.

Or I may move onto something else, when all the delays on converters ease up and I can sell and replace easy enough.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I was using an Apollo x6 clocked with a Grimm CC2 (which worked nicely) and recently bought a Prism Atlas (which I got for the cost of a Titan), and also clocking it with the Grimm and using the ADAT and SPDIFF to loop mixes out to 8 channels of analogue summing and stereo bus processing and back into the DAW via the x6 (I like the UA thunderbolt stability).

The Atlas has a nice subtle colour to it, and I wanted to upgrade the DA and AD (to make the clocking simpler), although I was previously looking at an even higher end 2 channel AD box, and theAD+ was at the top of my list. I'm enjoying the results with the Atlas currently, but possibly it softens the transients more than I would prefer (which I suspect might be the dynamic range), so I'm going to test using the x6 DA and Atlas AD and see how I like that.

Or I may move onto something else, when all the delays on converters ease up and I can sell and replace easy enough.
Cool!
One of my collaborators has the titan.it sounds great.
The wait times are pretty gnarly
The MBC took 4 months to get here.
The cool thing is I had a 30 day return on it so I was able to use it for actual work.
The AKM factory fire really wrenched everybody.
Lek
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey RoundBadge
I'd love to hear your thoughts on the savitr. I'm also receiving one in a couple weeks as well and will be comparing it to my Lavry Gold mk3 (and hopefully bringing in the Neve as well)

I demoed the Dangerous AD+ when it first came out but it was far inferior to my Lavry which had far better imaging/3d, separation of elements, clarity (which interestingly I believe you said was a bit how the Neve sounded compared to the Dangerous)

I record to an Ampex mm1200 and ATR 102 through an API console and bouncing those tracks to digital is how I do my AD comparisons - whichever preserves the original sound the best (I monitor with Dangerous Convert 8's currently).
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lek ➡️
)
I demoed the Dangerous AD+ when it first came out but it was far inferior to my Lavry which had far better imaging/3d, separation of elements, clarity (which interestingly I believe you said was a bit how the Neve sounded compared to the Dangerous)
Looking forward to hearing them side by side
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchcraft ➡️
I was comparing it to my Lavry Gold MK3 and it is night and day different. The low end is so precise and the stereo imaging feels so exacting and immersive. The Soft sat sounds completely different on the Savitr. I used to avoid the +6 on the MK3, but the +6 on the savitr sounds so natural. It sounds like they changed the gain shape on it to my ear. Also, the operation of the unit is very streamlined.
Over all, it is a major upgrade to the MK3 and was worth it for me. It is an immaculate sounding unit -- I don't think it can get much better than this.

I love being able to bypass the MX processing. it seems like the MX processing balloons the low end in a nice way and van be very useful, but its also great to be able to remove it. You can also push the unit extremely hard and it sounds clean. I can sometimes get away without using a limiter with it.
As a former owner of an MK2 and an MK3 this review really speaks to me because it sounds like we have the same feelings towards the MK3 and these are the qualities an IDEAL Lavry Gold has always had in my mind.

My only question is...does it still have the Lavry Gold “sound”? I’ve tried pretty much every convertor there is and the Lavry Gold is the only one that does that midrange thing, which is why I love it, but I just wanted to double check that in upgrading the design they didn’t just turn it into something more clinical/accurate like a Prism ADA-8XR or something.

It sounds like it’s the KING of the Lavry Gold, and if that’s the case it’s a no brainer for me.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I’ve put 10+ Mixes thru the SAVITR and so far really enjoying it.
Some mixes I use no sat, some +2 and a couple +6.
Still have my MX but I’m not in a rush to plug the MX back except to print stems on older mixes.
I still need to do a real comparison, but I’m def diggin!
Old 10 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Smile

Got mine today.
Sounds Awesome.
Comparing to the Dangerous Ad+ and Rupert MBC.
They're really good but this thing is just on another level.
There's a fluid,musical quality going on.
this thing moves/breaths with the track..its a trip.
There's something really special going on with the separation 3d-ness and focus of each element in relation to each other.like they all have there own special pocket.
📝 Reply