Antelope Audio announces Zen Go Synergy Core - Page 14 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Antelope Audio announces Zen Go Synergy Core
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
It's a bit annoying considering you can't find it, but babyface is what you want probably.

At least that's what I settled on after being on a similar journey, and it's essentially perfect for what it is.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecode ➡️
That blows. i thought these sims would have been made by Antelope. so basically they are TH-U on the onboard chip?
At least the amp sims are. Minus all power amp related settings. Only controls you would find on a real amp.
Most of the other effects are pretty great actually. Well, not the tuner, that's almost useless but the compressors are great and most of the preamp and EQs as well. The Reverb as well, but that's only a send effect and it's a shame...

I used the Oblique RTL utility, I just copied all the data from the log file into an excel sheet, since I plan to keep my own little database haha.

I'll probably end up with a Babyface Pro FS. When I find one...

I will however test it on my desktop computer as well and maybe also on the Mac of a friend of mine.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratterbass ➡️
At least the amp sims are. Minus all power amp related settings. Only controls you would find on a real amp.
Most of the other effects are pretty great actually. Well, not the tuner, that's almost useless but the compressors are great and most of the preamp and EQs as well. The Reverb as well, but that's only a send effect and it's a shame...

I used the Oblique RTL utility, I just copied all the data from the log file into an excel sheet, since I plan to keep my own little database haha.

I'll probably end up with a Babyface Pro FS. When I find one...

I will however test it on my desktop computer as well and maybe also on the Mac of a friend of mine.
I am in the same situation. Zen go on order coming tomorrow. Babyface on pre-order but could be months away. I will report on my findings tomorrow on the Zen Go.
Here for the gear

Quick update:

I've also tested the Zen Go on my desktop machine (i7 4790k, 16gb DDR3). The latency results are the same (which is good) and even with the CPU meter around 50% in Studio One 4 through plugins I could use 32 buffer without the safe mode enabled in either S1 or the driver.

It would seem that my laptop (which according to the benchmarks I ran), which is around 1.5x as fast in single core mode as my desktop and more than double as fast on multi core does have some issues as I get serious drop outs when using anything but ultimate power mode, even in normal desktop use with some spotify. Maybe that's Ryzen related. Will investigate. Not too keen on dropping 1.8k for a MBP just to get properly functioning audio tbh....

I also ran the latency metering app in my ipad and got 6-10ms RTL @ 48k Hz on buffers 32-128. But the "charge A through B" didn't work for some reason. I tried two PSU. The one that came with the ipad Pro and the 65W one that came with the laptop. Neither work and if the ipad isn't connected there is even serious hum on the main out with just the PSU connected. Have to go to work now, but I'll have another look at the manual. If I don't find anything I'll contact support.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Quick update:

I've also tested the Zen Go on my desktop machine (i7 4790k, 16gb DDR3). The latency results are the same (which is good) and even with the CPU meter around 50% in Studio One 4 through plugins I could use 32 buffer without the safe mode enabled in either S1 or the driver.

It would seem that my laptop (which according to the benchmarks I ran), which is around 1.5x as fast in single core mode as my desktop and more than double as fast on multi core does have some issues as I get serious drop outs when using anything but ultimate power mode, even in normal desktop use with some spotify. Maybe that's Ryzen related. Will investigate. Not too keen on dropping 1.8k for a MBP just to get properly functioning audio tbh....

I also ran the latency metering app in my ipad and got 6-10ms RTL @ 48k Hz on buffers 32-128. But the "charge A through B" didn't work for some reason. I tried two PSU. The one that came with the ipad Pro and the 65W one that came with the laptop. Neither work and if the ipad isn't connected there is even serious hum on the main out with just the PSU connected. Have to go to work now, but I'll have another look at the manual. If I don't find anything I'll contact support.
Here's what the manual says:

The Zen Go Synergy Core is class-compliant with modern mobile devices and readily connects
to them for use with playback and recording apps. However, mobile devices do not supply
Antelope Audio Zen Go Synergy Core User Manual
Page 15
USB bus power. The interface needs to be powered from an external USB power source, such
as adapter, power bank, or powered USB hub. Here's how to do this:
1. Connect the Zen Go Synergy Core to your mobile device using the USB-C port marked
'AUSB'
2. Connect the USB power source to the Power USB-C port on the interface.
3. Press and hold the 'HP/MON' button on the interface's top panel to enter the System Menu.
4. Turn the rotary control to select the 'Power Source' menu entry. Press the rotary control to
enter.
5. Turn the rotary control to select the 'Power B' option. Press the rotary control to confirm.
6. Press the 'Antelope' button on the interface's top panel to exit the menu.
Note: Make sure the USB power source outputs at least 1A of electric current

Connect to a smartphone or tablet while charging the
mobile device (reverse charging)
When connected to a mobile device, the Zen Go Synergy Core is able to charge it
simultaneously. The only requirement is that the interface needs to be powered from an
external USB power source, such as adapter, power bank, or powered USB hub. Here's how to
do this:
1. Connect the Zen Go Synergy Core to your mobile device using the USB-C port marked
'AUSB'
2. Connect the USB power source to the Power USB-C port on the interface.
3. Press and hold the 'HP/MON' button on the interface's top panel to enter the System Menu.
4. Turn the rotary control to select the 'Power Source' menu entry. Press the rotary control to
enter.
5. Turn the rotary control to select the ' Charge device A from B’ option. Press the rotary
control to confirm.
6. Press the 'Antelope' button on the interface's top panel to exit the menu.
Note: Make sure the USB power source outputs at least 1A of electric current
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My unit arrived this morning and have been playing around with it since.

The unit itself is really well made, sturdy but not too heavy to travel with. It's a tad small than i expected but i am quite happy about this. The digital screen is wonderful. Installation was a breeze too. I had to register with Antelope on the website but it was a really easy process. Up and running within 5 minutes and a restart/firmware update to address the issues discussed earlier.

All powered up via the USB-C cable everything worked instantly on my Win 10 machine. All ASIO drivers and Win10 sounds played back via monitor outs and headphones. I am using ATH-M50x's and the loudest i've gone is -20dB whilst listening to mastered material, and roughly -15dB when recording/mixing so plenty of headroom. As always ensuring proper gain staging should avoid any issues.

Preamps - Quiet and plenty of gain. Really clean and dynamic. My one gripe is that the antelope software and DAW input levels seem somewhat off at times and this can be hard to set levels. I recorded some acoustic guitar at what i believed was a fairly hot level only for Studio One to barely register much level. I am not sure if this is because i was running AFX for effects as i was recording and may not have set the levels accordingly but it didnt seem apparent that i hadnt.

Latency - very very good. In fact, so good i don't think i will need to wait for the RME Babyface. Compared to my Apollo X it's RTL is much faster with safe mode disabled. Also, it's equally stable on my AMD Ryzen 4800H laptop so no issues on Intel or AMD for me. I can happily run my Townsend L22 software at 64 samples with no perceivable latency or dropouts even in a mixing session.

Mixer - A little complicated compared to Console 2.0 but after a while i've managed to find my way around. My favourite thing - being able to record with and without FX inserts as two separate audio tracks, so i can commit the sound i think i am looking for, but can also record dry so that i can process with a different FX chain if needs be. Not something i would utilise all of the time but certainly a nice feature, and honestly printing FX is the likely preferred way on this unit as the DSP is not particularly easy to re-route in mixing. As mentioned, the mixer app does take about 15 seconds to load if you close it down so I just try to keep in minimised at all times.

Auraverb - is it just me or does the send amount for the track have to be 80-90% to actually hear any effect? It's the total opposite for reverb sends on Console which are mega sensitive. It's like the Dry/Wet control for the Auraverb is say 50% when you would typically want 100%. The sound of it is 'ok' but i am not too impressed with it and wouldnt miss it for mixing. It's good to have something on the DSP though.

Guitar amps - Not the best i've heard but they do feel quite good under the fingers and respond well to playing styles. Certainty more than good enough to track with and if you can dial in the sound then even better.

Sound quality - Very nice. Equally comparable to my previous Apollo (silverface/blackface) but it's not quite there against the Apollo X, but hey it's far less money.. It doesnt feel as hyped in the upper mids and highs as the Apollo so i'm currently finding it a little less fatiguing which is interesting. Headphone amps are decent but you can get better external ones (as is usually the case)

AFX2DAW - as much as i wish this was an option on Windows 10/USB i cant help but feel like this would be a little pointless considering the limited DSP on the unit. I think it's only 4 mono channels with a total of 8 inserts per track if i am not mistaken? (32 total FX) The mixer only has 4 AFX slots anyway so that is my understanding.

Overall, impressions are good. I think i am going to opt for the Zen bundle of plugins that are on offer at the minute for $69 so that i have a few more options for tracking with plugins.

Anyway, hope that helps give some perspective on this new unit. I am pleased with my purchase and would recommend this unit to anyone looking for something small/compact/USB bus powered with great audio quality and not too expensive. This will not replace my Apollo system but will be used for mobile/location recording more often than not, and to take with my for Demo's and such with my Windows laptop.

Thanks.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoria89 ➡️

Headphone amps are decent but you can get better external ones (as is usually the case)
The HP amps have a pretty high output impedance, so with your 32Ohm M50s you'll get a pretty messed up response. I don't have my M50s anymore but one pair with 32Ohm and one with 80Ohm. I'll attach my measurements of the response with those as load.
Attached Thumbnails
Antelope Audio announces Zen Go Synergy Core-unbenannt.png   Antelope Audio announces Zen Go Synergy Core-photo_2021-04-20_11-11-56.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i don't get why you guys are using 32 sample buffers. is this for guitar amp sim recording? I cant tell the difference between 256 and 128. i thought you only need 128 if you are doing finger drumming on a controller.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecode ➡️
i don't get why you guys are using 32 sample buffers. is this for guitar amp sim recording? I cant tell the difference between 256 and 128. i thought you only need 128 if you are doing finger drumming on a controller.
Because it works and lower is better, simple as that :D

Also, buffer size doesn't mean all interfaces perform the same at the same buffer size. One interface does [email protected] while another one might do 7. If you have additional digital gear before your soundcard and use plugins, those ms add up. When I had my pedal board with a lot of digital pedals, it had a RTL of 11ms for the board alone...
Gear Nut

Quote:
The HP amps have a pretty high output impedance, so with your 32Ohm M50s you'll get a pretty messed up response. I don't have my M50s anymore but one pair with 32Ohm and one with 80Ohm. I'll attach my measurements of the response with those as load.
Oof. Seems like my M40x will be a no go for this. Guess this'll finally be the excuse to get the DT880 Pro I've had on my wishlist since forever. For something in this price range, that's very disappointing.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
This would check all your boxes I think :

https://motu.com/en-us/products/gen5/ultralite-mk5/

Quote:
If anyone knows a unit that has stable, low latency drivers, good converters and preamps, spdif I/O, (at least) two separate line out pairs and is below 900€ let me know haha. (Well I know the Babyface). Will also give the new iconnectivity audioplay4c a try. It's hardware isn't really up to modern standards from what I gather from the datasheet but maybe at least the drivers will be stable and efficient. One can dream.

Sorry for babbling maybe.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Looks like a new interface is about to join the Synergy line.

https://store.slickaudio.com/Antelop...re_p_2011.html
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oracle ➡️
Looks like a new interface is about to join the Synergy line.

https://store.slickaudio.com/Antelop...re_p_2011.html
Interesting. Thunderbolt 3 only though. It's everything you wanted the Zen Go to be.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

More Gear

More gear from Antelope. All-in-one recording system in a USB microphone:

https://en.antelopeaudio.com/product...-synergy-core/
Old 18 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoria89 ➡️
My unit arrived this morning and have been playing around with it since.

The unit itself is really well made, sturdy but not too heavy to travel with. It's a tad small than i expected but i am quite happy about this. The digital screen is wonderful. Installation was a breeze too. I had to register with Antelope on the website but it was a really easy process. Up and running within 5 minutes and a restart/firmware update to address the issues discussed earlier.

All powered up via the USB-C cable everything worked instantly on my Win 10 machine. All ASIO drivers and Win10 sounds played back via monitor outs and headphones. I am using ATH-M50x's and the loudest i've gone is -20dB whilst listening to mastered material, and roughly -15dB when recording/mixing so plenty of headroom. As always ensuring proper gain staging should avoid any issues.

Preamps - Quiet and plenty of gain. Really clean and dynamic. My one gripe is that the antelope software and DAW input levels seem somewhat off at times and this can be hard to set levels. I recorded some acoustic guitar at what i believed was a fairly hot level only for Studio One to barely register much level. I am not sure if this is because i was running AFX for effects as i was recording and may not have set the levels accordingly but it didnt seem apparent that i hadnt.

Latency - very very good. In fact, so good i don't think i will need to wait for the RME Babyface. Compared to my Apollo X it's RTL is much faster with safe mode disabled. Also, it's equally stable on my AMD Ryzen 4800H laptop so no issues on Intel or AMD for me. I can happily run my Townsend L22 software at 64 samples with no perceivable latency or dropouts even in a mixing session.

Mixer - A little complicated compared to Console 2.0 but after a while i've managed to find my way around. My favourite thing - being able to record with and without FX inserts as two separate audio tracks, so i can commit the sound i think i am looking for, but can also record dry so that i can process with a different FX chain if needs be. Not something i would utilise all of the time but certainly a nice feature, and honestly printing FX is the likely preferred way on this unit as the DSP is not particularly easy to re-route in mixing. As mentioned, the mixer app does take about 15 seconds to load if you close it down so I just try to keep in minimised at all times.

Auraverb - is it just me or does the send amount for the track have to be 80-90% to actually hear any effect? It's the total opposite for reverb sends on Console which are mega sensitive. It's like the Dry/Wet control for the Auraverb is say 50% when you would typically want 100%. The sound of it is 'ok' but i am not too impressed with it and wouldnt miss it for mixing. It's good to have something on the DSP though.

Guitar amps - Not the best i've heard but they do feel quite good under the fingers and respond well to playing styles. Certainty more than good enough to track with and if you can dial in the sound then even better.

Sound quality - Very nice. Equally comparable to my previous Apollo (silverface/blackface) but it's not quite there against the Apollo X, but hey it's far less money.. It doesnt feel as hyped in the upper mids and highs as the Apollo so i'm currently finding it a little less fatiguing which is interesting. Headphone amps are decent but you can get better external ones (as is usually the case)

AFX2DAW - as much as i wish this was an option on Windows 10/USB i cant help but feel like this would be a little pointless considering the limited DSP on the unit. I think it's only 4 mono channels with a total of 8 inserts per track if i am not mistaken? (32 total FX) The mixer only has 4 AFX slots anyway so that is my understanding.

Overall, impressions are good. I think i am going to opt for the Zen bundle of plugins that are on offer at the minute for $69 so that i have a few more options for tracking with plugins.

Anyway, hope that helps give some perspective on this new unit. I am pleased with my purchase and would recommend this unit to anyone looking for something small/compact/USB bus powered with great audio quality and not too expensive. This will not replace my Apollo system but will be used for mobile/location recording more often than not, and to take with my for Demo's and such with my Windows laptop.

Thanks.
I got my unit as well and I can echo most of your thoughts.

Preamps on my unit are quiet as well, not as bad as Julian's sample which is a good surprise.

Latency is very good indeed.

The mixer was pretty straight forward for me and did not take long to initialize. I have each preamp twice, one with a dry signal and another with the processed signal from the inbuilt effects. I even managed to route audio from my daw to be processed by the unit. Pretty neat.

Sound quality is great and my DT880 Pros are fine with it. Level around -15db bring it up to a decent listening volume.

Overall, I'm happy with it. I mainly play guitar, so this fits my needs perfectly. The release of the Zen Q did make me feel a bit of buyer's remorse, since it's everything I wanted in the Zen Go package. I can finally retire my 6i6 2nd gen.

I must say their support, while helpful, take a bit of time to get back to your requests.
Old 3 hours ago | Show parent
Here for the gear
I just wonder
why the mixer software starts up slower than my pc and why i see shortcuts to plugins that i don't have
and demos I don't want
In terms of hardware a very nice sound card, but I can't help but feel that Antelope's primary goal is to sell me software / plugins
Not bad in itself, but were it not that I think the prices are really over the top

An opinion
📝 Reply