Antelope Audio announces Zen Go Synergy Core - Page 13 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Antelope Audio announces Zen Go Synergy Core
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvolov ➡️
Have you claimed your code and installed the plugins?
Yes - several times! Plugins are just greyed out in the Control Panel software. The support guy at Antelope took over my computer and couldn't figure it out. I believe the issue is being escalated now.

I suspect I have a faulty unit.
Here for the gear

Zen Go user experience

I have been testing this interface for about one month now and I'm pretty happy with this thing! Sound and plugins are amazing and tracking with AFX is also fun and inspiring.

The unit has a ground loop noise problem but I mainly use it on the go and my laptop charger doesn't have ground, so that's not a big deal for me.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
All due respect for Antelope Audio, I just can't believe why they released a product with so many issues.
Don't get me wrong, I really wanted to love the unit but after 6 days and already spending 45 minutes on the support chat, it was enough for me, I send it back.
I just got an email from Antelope Audio they have a drivers update solving the following issues:
(Almost felt like we were beta testers)

There is a new software update available for your Zen Go Synergy Core. We’ve been working on a few fixes that will improve your experience with the interface. Here are the improvements:

• Fixed display brightness settings issue – device producing noise when the display brightness is set to less than 100%

• Fixed АuraVerb issue – effect not passing signal through the 2nd headphone output

• Fixed AuraVerb settings save issue – effect not saving the latest settings after the panel is shut down

• Fixed Darkface amp/cab issue – effect producing different sound when used on preamp 1 and 2

• Fixed display information issue – incorrect representation on the display when the clock source is changed from USB to S/PDIF

• Fixed FX strip channels issue – channels 3 and 4 not processing audio when signal is sent to DAW

• Fixed inaccurate software control panel peak meter behavior – peak meters indicating signal after browsing the menus without playback being present

• Fixed inaccurate software peak meter behavior – the meters in DAW I/O, From DAW section were not registering signals correctly

• Fixed microphone emulations images – GUI not loading correctly in cases where emulations were not assigned to the interface

To benefit from the updates, navigate to the Antelope Launcher, select the latest bundle version - 2.2.4 available for your Zen Go Synergy Core and press Update. The update will not erase any settings from your device, however, please make sure to back up and save your settings beforehand.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumusic ➡️
All due respect for Antelope Audio, I just can't believe why they released a product with so many issues.
Don't get me wrong, I really wanted to love the unit but after 6 days and already spending 45 minutes on the support chat, it was enough for me, I send it back.
Isn't this normal for most software though? I waited many months for Apple to sort out Catalina before I updated and it will be a few software revisions before I move on to Big Sur most likely.

The noise/screen issue didn't affect mine and most of the other issues are fairly minor.

Beta testing for bugs is one thing but sometimes the wide variety of connectivity permutations need to be tested out in the real world.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chumusic ➡️
I think this has long been a known consideration for buyers to take into account with Antelope products, if not most all pro audio hardware purchases that rely on software to function as expected.
I noticed as far back as 2013 that hardware with software bugs were a post purchase concern that seemed to become the norm.

Antelope has really put a great CS team together it would seem [to me], but if they are struggling with getting you up and running perhaps you did get a brick.
Even that I don't know is a slant on Antelope, they really do seem to try and put really good products out like any high end product builder, sometimes a lemon gets through no matter how much care and assurance is put into a product before it lands with the customer. I empathise with your dilemna, it's no fun dealing with having to unwind a deal, particularly if you are relying on the purchase to help make a living.

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hi , is anyone able to post some clips of what this really sounds like?
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck mingus ➡️
Isn't this normal for most software though? I waited many months for Apple to sort out Catalina before I updated and it will be a few software revisions before I move on to Big Sur most likely.

The noise/screen issue didn't affect mine and most of the other issues are fairly minor.

Beta testing for bugs is one thing but sometimes the wide variety of connectivity permutations need to be tested out in the real world.
No this isn't normal. When I bought my rme Fireface it worked right away, when I bought my Fireface UFX it worked from the start as well.
And rme doesn't have sock puppets on forums....
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkfreak ➡️
No this isn't normal. When I bought my rme Fireface it worked right away, when I bought my Fireface UFX it worked from the start as well.
And rme doesn't have sock puppets on forums....
Again with the shill accusations

I am impressed with your Fireface anecdote. It must have been a quality rollout to get all those FPGA effects working from day one for you.

I jest, but you are comparing apples etc. My Zen Go also worked as an interface from day one and the only issue I had was the Daw insert meters on the software control panel (now fixed) which didn't affect the way the unit worked materially.

For your information I am not affiliated to Antelope in any way. I am a professional UK bass player doing remote sessions who has used sequencers and then Daws since Steinberg Pro 24 on the Atari, writing songs and recording demos. Most of my free money has gone into bass guitars and amplification but lack of gigs has finally convinced me to upgrade from my Zoom R16 (bought for another reason but it works as an interface) to something better. Thus the reasoning why I only just joined Gearslutz/space.

I have been on Talkbass since 2005 at least (I can't check as they're down) and that is somewhere that never seems to assume that you are a paid employee of Sadowsky/Bergantino just because you participate in a thread on same.

I don't know how far your folkiness or freakiness extends but just in case I will state, for the record, as well as not being a shill or fanboi I am also not Q or a paid up member of Antifa.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oracle ➡️
Yes - several times! Plugins are just greyed out in the Control Panel software. The support guy at Antelope took over my computer and couldn't figure it out. I believe the issue is being escalated now.

I suspect I have a faulty unit.
Issue fixed. Antelope sent me a new claim code and the plugins now appear in the control panel. I suspect there was an issue with the original claim code I received.

Antelope support has been nothing short of excellent.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

With the release of the Zen Go Synergy Core FW 1.49 / Bundle 2.2.4, what's the verdict on the following from owners:
-HP output
-Noise from the monitor outs
-Phase issue on preamp 2 with stereo inputs
-Mic gain

I want to pull the trigger on one this week.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Been testing the Zen go for a couple days. It's a feature rich device that offers a lot more flexibility than something like an Apollo Twin. Unfortunately it's held back by clunky software. It makes me hesitant to invest into the antelope plugin ecosystem. It's looking like I'll have to stick with the Apollo Twin for now. UAD Console is way more polished and refined. Really wanted this to work out because on paper it ticks all the boxes for what I want in a portable interface but the software just isn't reliable right now. I may have to check out the RME babyface although I wish it had DSP plugins to track into.

Some software problems I encountered. I'm on an Intel mac with Big Sur:

- Zen Go isn't detected every time in Antelope Launcher (Antelope launcher itself is kind of clunky, you have to enter your system password everytime on a mac). Maybe every other time I want to fire up the Zen Go I have to fiddle with re-plugging in the interface and / or relaunching the Antelope Launcher to get it to see the interface.
- Zen Go mixer doesnt load every time. Sometimes hangs on this screen:

- Can't navigate between AFX plugins in the plugin window. Since only two plugins are displayed at a time, the only way to make it scroll back to the previous plugin is to click the plugin name, which currently doesnt work in Big Sur). For example in my screen shot below, you'd have to click "Gyratec" which currently doesn't work. The workaround is to re-order the chain and then the plugin you want to edit comes into focus. I called tech support about this and they couldn't figure it out so they reported the issue to the developers. Would be great to just be able to use the scroll wheel to view more plugins and to view more than two plugins at once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotTheNSA ➡️
With the release of the Zen Go Synergy Core FW 1.49 / Bundle 2.2.4, what's the verdict on the following from owners:
-HP output
-Noise from the monitor outs
-Phase issue on preamp 2 with stereo inputs
-Mic gain

I want to pull the trigger on one this week.
- HP powers my Beyer Dynamic DT770 250 Ohms fine
- I'm not noticing monitor noise
- Didn't test phase issues
- Mic gain seems fine with SM7B
Attached Thumbnails
Antelope Audio announces Zen Go Synergy Core-screen-shot-2021-04-11-10.08.54-am.jpg   Antelope Audio announces Zen Go Synergy Core-screen-shot-2021-04-11-10.11.07-am.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Just curious, has anyone every compared or have thoughts on the pre-amp quality between this interface and the Focusrite Clarett 2Pre? Are the two comparable or is there really no point comparing as they are completely different products on the marketplace?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I bought the Zen Go yesterday! I am waiting for it to arrive and I will comment on my experience.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofermusic ➡️
I bought the Zen Go yesterday! I am waiting for it to arrive and I will comment on my experience.
Good stuff! Looking forward to hearing your experience!
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Walker ➡️
Yes, In the preamp strip you set the settings to Line instead of Mic
Are you sure that bypasses the preamp? Just contacted their support and confirmed it does not bypass the preamp like the Orion Studio SC does.

But the SPDIF does transmit clock signal which is neat.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
**EDIT - after reading this entire thread I think I'll just get the Babyface. So no need for latency numbers.

How's the RTL at 44.1khz at 64 buffers? I'm thinking of picking one of these up today but can't seem to find any latency numbers at 44.1hkz. Youtube vids I've seen show results for 96khz. I use Helix Native for my guitar amp sims so I wouldn't be using the included amp plugin for tracking. Plus, I use all VST instruments so the RTL numbers are pretty important for me. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help with latency numbers!

Last edited by Rev2010; 2 weeks ago at 04:05 PM.. Reason: Update
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev2010 ➡️
How's the RTL at 44.1khz at 64 buffers? I'm thinking of picking one of these up today but can't seem to find any latency numbers at 44.1hkz. Youtube vids I've seen show results for 96khz. I use Helix Native for my guitar amp sims so I wouldn't be using the included amp plugin for tracking. Plus, I use all VST instruments so the RTL numbers are pretty important for me. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help with latency numbers!
just curious, how much of a difference is it working at 64 buffers compared to 128? and also, what is a "good" RTL number at 64 buffers?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by telecode ➡️
just curious, how much of a difference is it working at 64 buffers compared to 128? and also, what is a "good" RTL number at 64 buffers?
Not really sure as it's been forever since I used 128. I've been using 64 buffers with my Mackie Onyx 1220 (non-i) mixer with firewire interface ever since the i7 processor came out. Since I play guitar and VST instruments low latency is very important to me. My Mackie has been doing this weird occasional stereo/mono shifting/phasing issue on the new DAW I just built so I figure it's time to upgrade as it seems to be hardware related. I'm planning on either getting the Babyface Pro FS or the Zen Go. I know RME has the better latency and quality, but yeah it's pricey and the two independent headphone outs of the Zen are a good bonus as I'd likely need to also get a headphone amp with the Babyface as I've read the volume equally affects both headphone jacks and they are different impedance's.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
**EDIT - after reading this entire thread I think I'll just get the Babyface. So no need for latency numbers.

Here are latency numbers I'm getting for the Zen Go and RME Babyface FS at 44.1 khz for posterity's sake. Great latency numbers coming from Babyface. EDIT: Added Apollo Twin X Latency values.

Babyface Pro FS

Buffer size: 32 

Input: 1.52 ms
Output: 2.38 ms
Overall: 3.90 ms

Buffer size: 64

Input: 2.24 ms
Overall: 4.63 ms

Buffer size: 128

Input: 3.70 ms
Output: 3.83 ms
Overall: 7.53 ms

Zen Go

Zen Go

Input: 2.93 ms
Output: 3.40 ms
Overall: 6.33 ms

Input: 3.65
Output: 3.40
Overall: 7.05

Input: 5.10
Output: 4.85
Overall: 9.95

Apollo Twin X

Input: 3.38 ms
Output: 2.02 ms
Overall: 5.40 ms

Input: 4.10 ms
Output: 2.02 ms
Overall: 6.12 ms

Input: 5.56 ms
Output: 3.47 ms
Overall: 9.02 ms
Attached Thumbnails
Antelope Audio announces Zen Go Synergy Core-screen-shot-2021-04-19-11.27.29-am.jpg   Antelope Audio announces Zen Go Synergy Core-screen-shot-2021-04-19-11.27.26-am.jpg   Antelope Audio announces Zen Go Synergy Core-screen-shot-2021-04-19-11.27.23-am.jpg   Antelope Audio announces Zen Go Synergy Core-screen-shot-2021-04-19-11.24.00-am.jpg   Antelope Audio announces Zen Go Synergy Core-screen-shot-2021-04-19-11.23.57-am.jpg  

Antelope Audio announces Zen Go Synergy Core-screen-shot-2021-04-19-11.23.51-am.jpg  

Last edited by Noise Coalition; 2 weeks ago at 04:24 AM.. Reason: Added Apollo Twin X Latency Values
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noise Coalition ➡️
Here are latency numbers I'm getting for the Zen Go and RME Babyface FS at 44.1 khz for posterity's sake. Great latency numbers coming from Babyface.

Zen Go

Input: 1.52 ms
Overall: 3.90 ms

Input: 2.24 ms
Overall: 4.63 ms

Input: 3.70 ms
Output: 3.83 ms
Overall: 7.53 ms

Zen Go

Babyface Pro FS

Input: 2.93 ms
Output: 3.40 ms
Overall: 6.33 ms

Input: 3.65
Output: 3.40
Overall: 7.05

Input: 5.10
Output: 4.85
Overall: 9.95
which one you feel is better?
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by telecode ➡️
which one you feel is better?
I'm returning the Zen Go for reasons stated in my previous post.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noise Coalition ➡️
I'm returning the Zen Go for reasons stated in my previous post.
I picked up the Babyface Pro FS yesterday after reading all 13 pages in this thread lol. Too many listed issues to take the chance plus the lowest latency is one of my top priorities. Haven't set it up yet but will tonight. Thanks for posting those latency numbers
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
FWIW.. I did a bunch of research. Didn't go with the Zen Go and went with Focusrite. With the Zen Go, I was a little worried I will wind up with an expensive useless box in 5 years. It looks like it relies too much on the internal software and if that stops getting updated supported you are sort of screwed. I was also a little worried about the support from Bulgaria.. There seems to have been issues in the past..
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
**EDIT - problem found and fixed three posts down**

Well... had the absolute WORST experience with the RME Babyface Pro FS. Must've gotten a defective unit cause I simply could not get it to output any sound whatsoever and trying to play any sound hung any player I was trying to use. So be it Winamp, YouTube, Cubase 11 etc anything trying to play sound would just freeze and spin until I unplugged the USB cable. I tested this with my DAW and my work laptop and same scenario with each. Windows first installs USB 2.0 audio driver and device cannot start. Change to RME driver manually and it looks like it's good to go in Device manager but nope, no sound and freezes the player. Trying to do firmware update on both machines nothing happens when running the firmware updater. Tried a different USB 2 cable no change.

Returning it tomorrow and will never buy an RME interface ever again. Yeah I know, defective units happen but this is my first try with them and is the absolute most expensive interface I've ever bought so it's left a very very bad taste in my mouth and I wouldn't try them again at my own expense.

Last edited by Rev2010; 2 weeks ago at 04:25 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Well... had the absolute WORST experience with the RME Babyface Pro FS. Must've gotten a defective unit cause I simply could not get it to output any sound whatsoever and trying to play any sound hung any player I was trying to use. So be it Winamp, YouTube, Cubase 11 etc anything trying to play sound would just freeze and spin until I unplugged the USB cable. I tested this with my DAW and my work laptop and same scenario with each. Windows first installs USB 2.0 audio driver and device cannot start. Change to RME driver manually and it looks like it's good to go in Device manager but nope, no sound and freezes the player. Trying to do firmware update on both machines nothing happens when running the firmware updater. Tried a different USB 2 cable no change.

Returning it tomorrow and will never buy an RME interface ever again. Yeah I know, defective units happen but this is my first try with them and is the absolute most expensive interface I've ever bought so it's left a very very bad taste in my mouth and I wouldn't try them again at my own expense.
Been a member of this site for quite a while. I can count on one hand the number of posts I've seen where someone had a bad experience with an RME product. They've had a stellar reputation for the better part of 3 decades. Perhaps you're jumping the gun on writing them off over one bad unit.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Have to agree with the above. I've been following this product and the RME Babyface for months and been a member here for years and years as well and this is one of only a handful of bad experiences with RME. Why don't you get a replacement RME product before giving up on the brand? You would have a lot to gain if you could get a working unit..
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Fire ➡️
Been a member of this site for quite a while. I can count on one hand the number of posts I've seen where someone had a bad experience with an RME product. They've had a stellar reputation for the better part of 3 decades. Perhaps you're jumping the gun on writing them off over one bad unit.
I gave it another try, same problems but in Cubase when changing to the RME ASIO driver I got an error that I was able to look up. Apparently it looks like I may indeed have gotten a restock as it was in Class Compliant mode for iPad use. RME site said to unplug/replug the USB while holding the two main buttons down to reset the mode and that worked. After that everything started working, TotalMix launched, sound worked, and no more driver change error. Guess the fault lies with B&H for restocking something without sending it back for a full factory reset. So, I'm good now
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Ordered one today. Dear lord, please be good. I wonder if I could use my 6i6 as SPDIF input for extra channels.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

I've had the Zen Go for a few days now and I'm a bit on the edge.
Sorry if the following reads a bit like me thinking out loud, because that's basically what's going on haha.

Sound is great, latency pretty great as well (see attached screenshot) and the best from all the interfaces I've tried so far. The Babyface Pro is sold out everywhere in my country so I couldn't get my hands on that one, unfortunately.

But: it's pretty cumbersome to have to open the antelope launcher just to have some direct monitoring. Having to press the buttons multiple times to change the volume/gain is also pretty intrusive for the workflow imho. Converters are great but since I also intent to use it with both a PC and iPad(on which I run my main rig), having basically no control over what's happening other than gain and volume is not ideal in my book. There should be an app to at least control the mixer. The unit keeps its last state after a power cycle, so you can load a plugin chain with the launcher on a computer and then have that plugins also loaded when connected to an iPad. But since you can't change anything, I'd be careful with that and rather rely on plugins on the iPad. Also, plugins can only be used as inserts in the DAW, which kind of makes having an external DSP kinda pointless imho.

The amp Sims are made by Overloud and they're the same as in TH-U but with just the basic parameters. They're pretty okay, but the cabs kinda blow. The results with third party IR loader or NDSP (used solely as Cabsim) are so much better. It's a shame.

As I'd like to avoid multiple conversions when working on iPad and computer simultaneously, I want to use the digital I/O on the interface. AFAIK the Zen Go is pretty much the only interface with at least solid drivers that has both spdif in AND out in the ~500€ class. The id22 has pretty bad drivers from what I gather around here. Clarett has too much latency as well.

Should anyone ask about the UAC2: great little unit with pretty bad headphone amp. Has a ~1dB spike around 500-ish Hz even with a 10k load. With 32Ohm cans there are uneven deviations of about 1-2dB from 100Hz to 500Hz, which makes it pretty unusable most people. With 80Ohm cans it's better but still bad.

If anyone knows a unit that has stable, low latency drivers, good converters and preamps, spdif I/O, (at least) two separate line out pairs and is below 900€ let me know haha. (Well I know the Babyface). Will also give the new iconnectivity audioplay4c a try. It's hardware isn't really up to modern standards from what I gather from the datasheet but maybe at least the drivers will be stable and efficient. One can dream.

Sorry for babbling maybe.
Attached Thumbnails
Antelope Audio announces Zen Go Synergy Core-screenshot_20210423-002351_sheets.jpg   Antelope Audio announces Zen Go Synergy Core-screenshot_20210423-002351_sheets.jpg  
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratterbass ➡️
The amp Sims are made by Overloud and they're the same as in TH-U but with just the basic parameters. They're pretty okay, but the cabs kinda blow. The results with third party IR loader or NDSP (used solely as Cabsim) are so much better. It's a shame.
That blows. i thought these sims would have been made by Antelope. so basically they are TH-U on the onboard chip?

Quote:
Clarett has too much latency as well.

If anyone knows a unit that has stable, low latency drivers, good converters and preamps, spdif I/O, (at least) two separate line out pairs and is below 900€ let me know haha. (Well I know the Babyface). Will also give the new iconnectivity audioplay4
what counts as too much larency? I picked up a clarett 2 usb and it seems pretty good.

what tool did you use to make the RTL report you attached?
📝 Reply