Black Lion Audio announces Revolution 2x2 portable audio interface - Page 12 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Black Lion Audio announces Revolution 2x2 portable audio interface
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by acctx ➡️
Another pair of clueless YT amateurs who have no idea what they're doing, no ears, bad setup, bad everything. I bet if I switched the Revolution to some old Behringer interface without them knowing the review would be exactly the same.
I'm probably clueless too - to the point I don't understand a word they say
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeezey ➡️
I'm probably clueless too - to the point I don't understand a word they say
Let me translate their "review" to you:

"Uhhh... so we bought this, like, expensive interface.... uhhh... and we like, plugged it in and stuff... it looks dope btw... also.... we have this cool shiny microphone... so we like connected everything together and then we jammed and everything sounded aaaaahwsome! totally recommend this interface dude!"
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Let me translate their "review" to you:

"Uhhh... so we bought this, like, expensive interface.... uhhh... and we like, plugged it in and stuff... it looks dope btw... also.... we have this cool shiny microphone... so we like connected everything together and then we jammed and everything sounded aaaaahwsome! totally recommend this interface dude!"
There are english captions on the video. They gave you raw tracks recorded through the interface of individual instruments and the same tracks mixed into the song through the interface.

It was much more informative than another video I viewed regarding the unit. So, rhetorically, what's the issue other than the foreign language bashing going on?
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicsynth ➡️
There are english captions on the video. They gave you raw tracks recorded through the interface of individual instruments and the same tracks mixed into the song through the interface.

It was much more informative than another video I viewed regarding the unit. So, rhetorically, what's the issue other than the foreign language bashing going on?
Nothing's wrong with reviewers' language skills. My translation referred to the professional level of reviewers. Don't know why they felt the world needed their video.
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Don't know why they felt the world needed their video.
Welcome to the 21st century where the world is ruled by clueless narcissists.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmelo ➡️
After watching that, this interface feels like it's the interface for the American Working Man! Utilizing nice components that make for pretty internals, a solidly built chassis, and knobs that feel good. Like they focused on everything but the audio performance. Couple that with a "made in the U.S.A." (yeah I know it's china) markup and yeah, who is this thing even for?
It wasn't as noisy when Glenn Fricker used it with the same microphone:

The fun begins around 3:24 . Even when he cranked the gain all the way up, it wasn't as noisy as Julian's video.

Does Julian ever record music with his interface videos or does he just run them through some tests and then send them back to the store? All I know is, these guys did and the mixed result sounds amazing:

I can always use iZotope RX to reduce noise. I can't get the sound of high end preamps/other circuitry if it's not "baked in" to an audio signal. It's real nice what those guys were able to obtain with just two microphones.

All that said, I would not buy this simply because the I/O options are very limited. But from what I've heard around YouTube, the sound is there. It's noisier than other interfaces but the mic preamps and whatever other circuitry they are using are the stars of the show.

Black Lion, if you guys make an 8-channel ADAT unit using the same circuits that are in this interface, plus have inserts on every channel and keep the price below $2,000 I'm in.
Gear Head

Quote:
"Includes paid promotion" by Sweetwater, authorized BL dealer.
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
“Sounds amazing”... Well, that’s one boomy mix if there ever was one.

I guess the bar is really low these days.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 ➡️
It wasn't as noisy when Glenn Fricker used it with the same microphone:

The fun begins around 3:24 . Even when he cranked the gain all the way up, it wasn't as noisy as Julian's video.

Does Julian ever record music with his interface videos or does he just run them through some tests and then send them back to the store? All I know is, these guys did and the mixed result sounds amazing:

I can always use iZotope RX to reduce noise. I can't get the sound of high end preamps/other circuitry if it's not "baked in" to an audio signal. It's real nice what those guys were able to obtain with just two microphones.

All that said, I would not buy this simply because the I/O options are very limited. But from what I've heard around YouTube, the sound is there. It's noisier than other interfaces but the mic preamps and whatever other circuitry they are using are the stars of the show.

Black Lion, if you guys make an 8-channel ADAT unit using the same circuits that are in this interface, plus have inserts on every channel and keep the price below $2,000 I'm in.
I watched Julian Krause's testing video and I'm convinced the preamps are really noisy, especially seeing his comparison sheet. And then I watched the GF video and no noise of any substance. QC issue between units? Who knows...
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicsynth ➡️
I watched Julian Krause's testing video and I'm convinced the preamps are really noisy, especially seeing his comparison sheet. And then I watched the GF video and no noise of any substance. QC issue between units? Who knows...
The Krause video cranks everything to 11 which would never occur in real world use. His testing has no bearing on how anything sounds. GF is a musician and appreciates sound. Julian is analagous to Abbey Road engineers when the Beatles arrived. #s before good sounding audio.... Its up to the user to decide which is more important.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui ➡️
“Sounds amazing”... Well, that’s one boomy mix if there ever was one.

I guess the bar is really low these days.
This song and audio quality are great. Please post one of yours to compare.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhknicks ➡️
The Krause video cranks everything to 11 which would never occur in real world use. His testing has no bearing on how anything sounds. GF is a musician and appreciates sound. Julian is analagous to Abbey Road engineers when the Beatles arrived. #s before good sounding audio.... Its up to the user to decide which is more important.
Yeah. I actually have one of these interfaces and the noise is really inaudible unless you crank up the gain. Not likely to be cranked that high to where it would be an issue for anything I would use it for. My Lyra is just as noisy if the gain on the instrument jack is cranked all the way too. Again, never would that be the case for any tracking that I would ever do. I agree that the most useful reviews on this device are the ones that people actually used it musically. I haven't had near as much time to do much recording with mine due to my schedule, but I do a lot of monitoring with it. No audible difference between it and the Lyra other than the output signal is a bit lower, as has been measured.
Gear Nut

Who’s actually used it solely for mixing? Most I’ll use the mic inputs for is zoom calls and DI scratch guitar parts
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Nothing's wrong with reviewers' language skills. My translation referred to the professional level of reviewers. Don't know why they felt the world needed their video.
You alright there buddy? Life been rough for you? Sure seem to criticize everybody out there for having an opinion. Cheer up mate, there's more to life than being bitter.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
OK
I bought one to serve as a B station. It sounds good no major issues - actually no issues at all. It's small heavy and sturdy in an assuring way and hopefully the advertised nifty features as the built in power conditioner and ultra clock will prove their worth in the future.
I wish they had a "more" unit like 8 channels to counter the Mac only Metric Halo 2882. When travel resumes the Revolution is going to be my mix buddy on the road.
If you are after a 2 track heavy duty ADDA unit this is a product to consider. The "red unit" is moving to the acoustic measurement laptop where it can do no harm :-)
📝 Reply