FirComp - FREE ultraclean compressor/limiter - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
FirComp - FREE ultraclean compressor/limiter
Old 23rd December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Software FirComp - FREE ultraclean compressor/limiter

Free compressor with perfect curves

Clean compressor with punchy attack, musical release, and optional lookahead smoothing, for tracks or busses. Zero/low latency and low CPU. Warm distortion at extreme settings.

https://jonvaudio.com/fircomp/

Features:
  • Simple UI and fast workflow
  • Attack stage tuned for punch. True zero attack (same-sample) when "0.0 ms" is selected
  • Dual parallel release stage with musical, highly program-dependent behaviour. Avoids needing to use multiple compressors in series!
  • Easy sidechain filtering options for common mixing situations
  • Optional smooth digital FIR lookahead gain smoothing with perfect timing and no artefacts, resulting in the minimum possible distortion
  • Low CPU DSP code written in a mix of C++ and SSE intrinsics. Insert on every track without a second thought!
  • Fully 64-bit audio path used for all DSP calculations
  • Zero latency with lookahead off. With lookahead on, compensated latency of 64, 128, or 256 samples depending on sample rate (approximately 1.3 to 1.5 ms)

Fircomp is available as:
  • 64-bit VST3 for Windows
  • Intel 64-bit VST3 for Mac OSX
  • Intel 64-bit Audio Unit (AU2) for Mac OSX

Installation:

Installation simply involves downloading and unzipping the correct file, then copying the plugin file/bundle into the correct folder/directory for your system. Depending on your DAW or host software, you may then need to "rescan" your plugin folder. The folders/directories suggested below are the defaults for most systems, but you may have a different preferred location.
  • Windows VST3: Copy the FirComp.vst3 file to the C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 folder.
  • Mac OSX VST3: Put the FirComp.vst3 file inside the /Users/[YOUR USERNAME HERE]/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST3/ folder. Alternatively, from the finder menu bar, click on Go -> Go to Folder... and enter /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST3/ then click on Go, then copy to that location.
  • Mac OSX AU2: Put the FirComp.component file inside the /Users/[YOUR USERNAME HERE]/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/ folder. Alternatively, from the Finder menu bar, click on Go -> Go to Folder... and enter /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/ then click on Go, then copy to that location.

---------------------------------------------------

That's the copy/paste information from the website. I was fortunate enough to stumble upon this little gem over at KvR audio where the developer posted an early prototype without a UI. Well, now it is ready and has a simple yet effectively little user interface. It's a really clean good sounding compressor that doesn't try to be any analogue model or anything. Instead it uses advanced DSP techniques to be an ultra clean effective compressor (or limiter with ratio set to max) for any tasks where you want to control the dynamics in a transparent and distortion free manner.

This one is a real gem. Almost don't want to share this little secret but it should be known in the world of audio production.

Cheers!
bM
Old 24th December 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Cheers bManic.. I'll have to take a listen to this tomorrow
Old 24th December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Here are two very different audio examples with before/after to show the quite incredible smoothness and lack of distortion for this compressor.

First example is a basic dry drumloop that I smash with 10 to 1 ratio to completely reign in the transients and keep the drumloop gelled together.

2nd example is a delicate little piano piece where I used deep threshold, 4 to 1 ratio with over 12dB of gain reduction. Soft knee. This helps set the piano in place (as it would have to be within a larger mix context) and bring out the delicate nature and the reverb.

EDIT:

Added 3rd audio example, using the DeHarsh side chain option in the plugin. This demonstrates how it can clean up harsh mids and upper mid transient spikes while adding glue to a mix.

Last edited by bmanic; 24th December 2020 at 12:50 AM..
Old 24th December 2020
DSK
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
From your tests:
Has a lot of character, does a lot to the dynamics, yet retains a very natural texture and movement.

Cheers for sharing @ bmanic , gonna give this a spin one of these days.
Old 24th December 2020
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
plans for AAX?
Old 24th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeel ➑️
plans for AAX?
I have no idea.. probably not as it's a free plugin. You'd have to email the author and ask. I don't think he has a Gearslutz account.
Old 24th December 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Much appreciated, bmanic and Jonvaudio! Downloaded and will try it tomorrow.
Old 24th December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks a lot, this is awesome.
Old 24th December 2020
Gear Addict

awesome dev philosophy & perfect curves !
were you involved with the beta ?
Old 24th December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Nice sound.
Old 24th December 2020
Here for the gear

This is very good! Thank you.
Old 24th December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thumbs up

Gem indeed, thanks

Edit : Went for the coloring, changes every 2 bars. Made 6 presets and tried to level match them. First 2 bar original sound.
Attached Files

FirComp Color.mp3 (1.07 MB, 21880 views)

Last edited by Bob Yordan; 24th December 2020 at 09:59 AM..
Old 24th December 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
What an awesome little gem ! Thanks bmanic
Old 24th December 2020
OMU
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
@ bmanic

I have no idea how you find these things.

This compressor looks so deceivingly simple yet sounds so good.

Thanks a lot!

It has a bug though: in Cubase 11 on latest Catalina attempting to switch from zero latency to fir freezes the host.
Old 24th December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
bM
How would you advice using the dual stage release - with fast EDM material ?

Old 24th December 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Is this the software equivalent of the Little Labs LL2A ?
Old 24th December 2020
Here for the gear

love this! I'm using it on my drums bus! ..
Here for the gear

call me lost but I just found out about this unit! And I know the company haha !

it's great if it's really an equivalent to the HW drive!
Old 24th December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Any Aliasing?
OMU
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
None.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMU ➑️
None.
Nice.Thanks for info.
OMU
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakamoto ➑️
Nice.Thanks for info.
No problem. Even if you slam it with the attack and release at minimum settings, with infinite ratio and hard knee, the aliasing will be at most somewhere under -150db, but as soon as you engage the FIR mode, even that (although completely inaudible) is gone.

This sets a new standard IMO.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Same problem here.
Attempting to switch from zero latency to fir freezes the host
Cubase 11 MacOS Mojave
Quote:
Originally Posted by goshalev ➑️
Same problem here.
Attempting to switch from zero latency to fir freezes the host
Cubase 11 MacOS Mojave
Hi, I am the developer of this plugin, just made an account on gearslutz since bmanic let me know he posted it here Thanks for all the feedback so far.

For those having crashes on Cubase: Unfortunately I don't own Cubase, but this is useful feedback to know. What I can do, is send you a debug version which might give an error message / more info when it crashes, enabling me to work out what the problem is. If you'd like to do this, please send me an email at fircomp at jonvaudio dot com (replace at and dot). However this might not be until after xmas

For some more background info: This plugin was my lockdown project and the first plugin I have released. The idea was a compressor that can crush things with minimal distortion, transparent-ish behaviour, & low CPU, without having to think too hard while using it. I am currently working on a physically modelled unison string synth which I plan to release at the end of next year.
Old 24th December 2020
Gear Maniac

Crashes on Cubase 11 Pro Win 10 as well. Rebooting Cubase as we speak
OMU
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonVAudio ➑️
Hi, I am the developer of this plugin, just made an account on gearslutz since bmanic let me know he posted it here Thanks for all the feedback so far.

For those having crashes on Cubase: Unfortunately I don't own Cubase, but this is useful feedback to know. What I can do, is send you a debug version which might give an error message / more info when it crashes, enabling me to work out what the problem is. If you'd like to do this, please send me an email at fircomp at jonvaudio dot com (replace at and dot). However this might not be until after xmas

For some more background info: This plugin was my lockdown project and the first plugin I have released. The idea was a compressor that can crush things with minimal distortion, transparent-ish behaviour, & low CPU, without having to think too hard while using it. I am currently working on a physically modelled unison string synth which I plan to release at the end of next year.
Welcome to Gearslutz and congratulations for this plugin!

I will email you and can't wait for you to develop more stuff (some saturation plugin with such an aliasing rejection and unaffected phase would be truly something).
Old 24th December 2020
Wow, this compressor is insane!!!
Thank you very much!
Old 24th December 2020
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Hi, Sorry to report, but I also had a TOTAL freeze of Cubase. I'm using Cubase Pro 11, Windows 10 pro. The only solution was to shutdown via Task Manager. I forget what button (or sequence of buttons) I clicked, but it very well could have been the zero latency. It's a new plugin for me and I just started clicking things to hear the effect. I rebooted Cubase and launched fircomp once again, and all appears fine, except I'm staying away from that zero latency button for the time being.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMU ➑️
Welcome to Gearslutz and congratulations for this plugin!

I will email you and can't wait for you to develop more stuff (some saturation plugin with such an aliasing rejection and unaffected phase would be truly something).
This (even if saturation some tasty non-linear phase shift can sound marvelous too).
Quote:
Originally Posted by analag ➑️
Crashes on Cubase 11 Pro Win 10 as well. Rebooting Cubase as we speak
Hi, was the crash caused when you tried to turn on lookahead? If so, you are welcome try this temporary workaround for the Windows VST3 version, that I built just now:

jonvaudio.com/fircomp/software/win/2020_12_24_cw/win/FirComp_winVST3_cw.zip

It seems like Cubase doesn't like the way that the plugin reports a change in latency, so if this workaround works on Windows I will also build OSX versions. (For it to correctly report latency, you may need to disable then enable the plugin in Cubase after pressing the FIR LA button).

Apologies to others who have had Cubase crashes due to this. If this doesn't work I will do more extensive testing in a couple of days' time.
πŸ“ Reply