The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
FirComp - FREE ultraclean compressor/limiter
Old 25th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

there goes my coffee! please keep developing plugins!
Old 25th December 2020
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Thank you! I was JUST looking for another clean limiter alternative. Plugins that promise vibe and saturation certainly have their place, but I always find that I can sleep a little better if I have a handful of transparent options to depend on.
Old 25th December 2020
Gear Head

The amount of GR is very difficult to read. I think the meter needs to be more accurate. It is difficult to know how many db it is compressing.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nave mastering ➡️
The amount of GR is very difficult to read. I think the meter needs to be more accurate. It is difficult to know how many db it is compressing.
I made a comment in this regard about two pages back. Glad I'm not alone thinking it can really benefit from a more detailed (numerical readouts), precise metering.
Old 25th December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Updated metering would be good. I don't think it worries me as it is though, I usually go with what feels right. Better metering will always be welcome, however.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonVAudio ➡️
Ok, if the new win version I posted still isn't working in Cubase (from my post at the bottom of page 1, the FirComp_winVST3_cw.zip file), then drop me an email: fircomp at jonvaudio dot com, and I will send you a debug version which should give more detailed crash information. Thanks for your patience on this
Sent.
Gear Head

Yes, I admit that I am a bit picky .
I'm a little less precise when it comes to mixing, but when it comes to mastering I like to know what I'm doing exactly.
My opinion is that if a GR meter is added to the plugin, it should be visible and perfectly readable. This should be the intention to put a meter.

Merry Christmas
Old 25th December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It's really nice as it is right now, but I do understand that more precise metering is welcome in mastering situations.
Old 25th December 2020
Lives for gear

Quick question for the dev if they are on the thread still. Are you going to code a version of this for the new M1 silicon Macs? Will be switching next year and am currently avoiding bringing new tools into the workflow that may not be supported.
Old 25th December 2020
Gear Maniac

What a great Xmas present, seriously.
Old 25th December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
After some minutes of playing around it crashed my cubase 10.5.2

But I love the sound!!!

Ps.
Did some.more testing and it crashed it again after some minutes. If I can contribute anyhow to fix this let me know pls.

Pps.
Cubase gave me a log file during restart. If this helps you anyhow let me know, too

Last edited by blaugruen7; 25th December 2020 at 01:01 PM..
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 ➡️
After some minutes of playing around it crashed my cubase 10.5.2

But I love the sound!!!

Ps.
Did some.more testing and it crashed it again after some minutes. If I can contribute anyhow to fix this let me know pls.

Pps.
Cubase gave me a log file during restart. If this helps you anyhow let me know, too
Hi,

The log file would be very useful, please email it to fircomp at jonvaudio dot com

For those still having crashes on Cubase with the new versions posted here, I apologize and will be looking to do my own testing soon after Christmas. Anyone willing to do more Cubase crash testing please send me an email (I know some of you already have)
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomotomoto ➡️
Quick question for the dev if they are on the thread still. Are you going to code a version of this for the new M1 silicon Macs? Will be switching next year and am currently avoiding bringing new tools into the workflow that may not be supported.
Important question. I definitely really want to, but purchasing an M1 mac is not in my budget for 2021. The plugin uses very Intel-specific code, so it's not just a case of recompiling, some of it actually needs to be re-written and properly tested. (Not only does it use SIMD, but also my own fast math functions with bit manipulation etc that are very hardware specific).

So I cannot guarantee it for you and fully understand avoiding it for this reason.

However I am very excited about M1 and ARM & NEON in general, and slightly suspect that Windows might soon support it too. I'm also very interested in the Raspberry Pi and how far that can be pushed, so ARM code will be on the menu as soon as I can. Just can't make any guarantees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nave mastering ➡️
Yes, I admit that I am a bit picky .
I'm a little less precise when it comes to mixing, but when it comes to mastering I like to know what I'm doing exactly.
My opinion is that if a GR meter is added to the plugin, it should be visible and perfectly readable. This should be the intention to put a meter.

Merry Christmas
Merry Christmas I fully understand the metering thing. FirComp was originally designed as a track compressor, but that can also work on busses due to the heavily program dependent release. And as I don't really look at meters, I just wanted a rough ballpark.

But if it turns out people use this for mastering, and want detailed metering for that purpose, then I understand why this would be important and I will look at ways that it can be implemented.
Quote:
Originally Posted by denork ➡️
there goes my coffee! please keep developing plugins!
Cheers for this will do.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
@ JonVAudio Slightly off-topic : any info regarding your saturation / distortion plugin ?

Marvelous compressor anyway
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hi,

The log file would be very useful, please email it to fircomp at jonvaudio dot com

For those still having crashes on Cubase with the new versions posted here, I apologize and will be looking to do my own testing soon after Christmas. Anyone willing to do more Cubase crash testing please send me an email (I know some of you already have)
thank you´very much. i just send you the crash log file.
take your time.
all the best
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic ➡️
I'm really happy to see all the positive comments and reception of this incredible little gem of a compressor! Jon tweaked it to perfection in my opinion and it's an extremely precise dynamics tool that doesn't really alter the original source in any negative way. These kinds of tools are quite rare and very useful!
Thanks for this, your initial feedback was very helpful in adjusting the topology

Quote:
Originally Posted by nil hartman ➡️
@ JonVAudio Slightly off-topic : any info regarding your saturation / distortion plugin ?

Marvelous compressor anyway
Cheers Glad that his has got people interested in my work, but I don't want to say too much on that as I'm still working on it and there's a lot of different directions it could go in
Old 25th December 2020
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
can‘t test/try myself until sunday.

how does it compare to Kotelnikov GE or Acon dynamics in terms of clean compression? comparable or different animal?
unr
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hi, was the crash caused when you tried to turn on lookahead? If so, you are welcome try this temporary workaround for the Windows VST3 version, that I built just now:

jonvaudio.com/fircomp/software/win/2020_12_24_cw/win/FirComp_winVST3_cw.zip

It seems like Cubase doesn't like the way that the plugin reports a change in latency, so if this workaround works on Windows I will also build OSX versions. (For it to correctly report latency, you may need to disable then enable the plugin in Cubase after pressing the FIR LA button).

Apologies to others who have had Cubase crashes due to this. If this doesn't work I will do more extensive testing in a couple of days' time.
Unfortunately when using this version, it does not update latency anymore in Live 10.1.30, even when turning the plugin off/on it stays at 0 samples.

Please make this a Cubase only fix if possible, since it breaks Latency Reporting in Live.
The original version I downloaded on 2020-12-22 is reporting latency fine.

Thanks,
Btw: great compressor!
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAudioBot ➡️

how does it compare to Kotelnikov GE or Acon dynamics in terms of clean compression?
I'd say it is by far the best comparison that I ever conducted.

Quote:
comparable or different animal?
Yes. definitely !

Joking aside... you have the seal of approval from "professor compressor" himself (bM - who helped ironing out things and bringing this gem to fruition).

It's as clean as a baby's a$$ - everyone can agree on that. hear professor compressor's samples posted on this thread. that alone would be worth a 1000 words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unr ➡️
Unfortunately when using this version, it does not update latency anymore in Live 10.1.30, even when turning the plugin off/on it stays at 0 samples.

Please make this a Cubase only fix if possible, since it breaks Latency Reporting in Live.
The original version I downloaded on 2020-12-22 is reporting latency fine.

Thanks,
Btw: great compressor!
Thanks Does Ableton 10 update latency when you start / stop play? (I'm guessing you've probably already tried this, but just want to check).

The issue seems to be that Cubase doesn't like the latency change outside of the plugin's initialization, but if latency is only set during initialization, other hosts rarely re-initialize and so won't re-detect the latency. I should be able to fix this with host detection - I will post updates in this thread once this is implemented.
Old 25th December 2020
Lives for gear
Wow this is so good! Congratulations
unr
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thanks Does Ableton 10 update latency when you start / stop play? (I'm guessing you've probably already tried this, but just want to check).

The issue seems to be that Cubase doesn't like the latency change outside of the plugin's initialization, but if latency is only set during initialization, other hosts rarely re-initialize and so won't re-detect the latency. I should be able to fix this with host detection - I will post updates in this thread once this is implemented.
Yeah, tried all different things. Also tried now with copying/moving the plugin to another channel, still doesn't report latency. I remember faintly that DMG Audio also had problems with initialization in Live. I had to save a preset with 0 latency and change it afterwards or the latency was always off when loading a saved project.
Each DAW has their own specialties apparently :(

Thanks for looking into that, I will keep using the version from Dec. 22nd.
Gear Head

I would be very grateful for an accurate GR meter.

The compressor is very clean, for this reason it is suitable for mastering. For me it is comparable to Kotelnikov from TDR. It is incredible that in FIR mode it consumes less CPU than Kotelnikov in ECO mode, and with no traces of aliasing anywhere.

Nice job!
Old 25th December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks you for this gift and seems like the latest update fixed the freeze for Cubase.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

how does it compare to Kotelnikov GE or Acon dynamics in terms of clean compression? comparable or different animal?
Compared to Kotelnikov GE (which I love), it's clean and musical in its own way, and workflow is quite different (no FDR, no Yin/Yang etc...). A fantastic addition to the toolbox really.
I'd add it works wonder as track compressor as well, while I'm usually more likely to compress busses. For instance, it added a wonderful, glorious solidity to a synthetic bassline I tried it on. The various sidechain filters are incredibly nice sounding.
I'd love to hear how it sounds in Dual Mono as well as a Mid/Side compressor.

Last edited by nil hartman; 25th December 2020 at 09:02 PM..
Old 26th December 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
This is a beautiful piece of work. Very easy on the ears.

Working fine here so far on Win 10 Pro, Cubase 11 Pro.
Old 26th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Have to agree this is a great compressor. One of the few that actually does what a compressor is supposed to do without any of the crap stuff.

Just from a purely creative/experimental perspective I've been pushing this into extreme settings and it does do a lot of good things. Hard to make it sound bad really. Hard to make it sound uninteresting anyway. Tons of uses for such a compressor that takes this much care of your signal. I wish all digital processors were this respectful of the source. Completely transforms drums (for example) into alternative takes that sound like different recordings—with all of the good stuff and none of the bad. Probably the only thing this does wrong is that it’s free!

Not sure I would worry too much about metering, it is so musical that you don’t really need it. It’s obvious what’s happening just focussing your attention on the sound. Having distractions like specific GR figures could mean you make worse decisions based on that than good ones based purely on the sound.
Old 26th December 2020
Gear Head

This one sounds so beautiful and just works!
I can't believe it is free.
Thank you very much!!
📝 Reply