The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
FirComp - FREE ultraclean compressor/limiter
Old 24th December 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by goshalev ➡️
Same problem here.
Attempting to switch from zero latency to fir freezes the host
Cubase 11 MacOS Mojave
Here are a couple of new Mac versions I just built that might fix the issue for Cubase (see my previous post about Win version):

Audio unit: https://jonvaudio.com/fircomp/softwa...p_macAU_cw.zip

VST3: https://jonvaudio.com/fircomp/softwa...macVST3_cw.zip

Please let me know if it still crashes when enabling / disabling lookahead, this will give me a clue as to whether or not it is a latency reporting issue. Many thanks

Once again apologies for the crash.
OMU
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nil hartman ➡️
This (even if saturation some tasty non-linear phase shift can sound marvelous too).
Indeed, but not as a side-effect of poorly designed oversampling filters, which is unfortunately too often the case of many such plugins, leading to smeared high end which is exactly the hardest area to get right in digital, making such 'modeled' plugins to always sound 'different' to the emulated devices.

I like this non-emulation concept a lot and would appreciate some more virtual boxes along this line of thinking, I've come to appreciate so much more honest, beautiful digital designs that just do what they say instead of the plethora of emulations. YMMV.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonVAudio ➡️
Hi, I am the developer of this plugin, just made an account on gearslutz since bmanic let me know he posted it here Thanks for all the feedback so far.

For those having crashes on Cubase: Unfortunately I don't own Cubase, but this is useful feedback to know. What I can do, is send you a debug version which might give an error message / more info when it crashes, enabling me to work out what the problem is. If you'd like to do this, please send me an email at fircomp at jonvaudio dot com (replace at and dot). However this might not be until after xmas

For some more background info: This plugin was my lockdown project and the first plugin I have released. The idea was a compressor that can crush things with minimal distortion, transparent-ish behaviour, & low CPU, without having to think too hard while using it. I am currently working on a physically modelled unison string synth which I plan to release at the end of next year.
This looks/sounds awesome. Is there any way you could include the option to unlink the sides with stereo operation? Seems like it would be perfect.
Old 24th December 2020
Gear Head

Good afternoon. .
Does the plugin work with oversampling?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos ➡️
Is there any way you could include the option to unlink the sides with stereo operation?
Count another request for unlinked channels, a little switch would be a great addition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by analag ➡️
This comp sounds good. Do a Win 10 fix. I slapped a beat together right quick to test it on the 2 buss.
Cheers, glad you like it I posted a new Win/Cubase version to test on the previous page - let me know if it still crashes (see my prev post)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos ➡️
This looks/sounds awesome. Is there any way you could include the option to unlink the sides with stereo operation? Seems like it would be perfect.
This is definitely possible and I will add it to the list as two people have asked so far
Old 24th December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Any chance to add L/R un-linking?
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
This is definitely possible and I will add it to the list as two people have asked so far
Make that three!

Alistair
Gear Addict
Quote:
Count me in for variable stereo link.
Happy holdays!
Old 24th December 2020
OMU
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The update solve the Cubase 11 freeze bug when pressing the FIR button (on Catalina).
Quote:
Originally Posted by nave mastering ➡️
Good afternoon. .
Does the plugin work with oversampling?
Hello, there is no oversampling in this plugin. This is because, even with lookahead off, the distortion is lower than what you would typically find, and with lookahead on, it becomes even lower, so there is not much to alias
Old 24th December 2020
OMU
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Which explains why it is so light on the CPU. Great work!
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Thanks so much for this tasty gem and bManic for bringing this to light here!
Works flawlessly here on Win10 Studio One (yep - I'm trying to break it ;-) ).
Sounds wonderful. Great work! Thanks, again.
All the best to you JonV and everyone here on GS!
Old 24th December 2020
Lives for gear

Wow, what a great find, I can't believe it's free.

I have tested it on one voice and with few adjustments I have managed to make it sound very good, voice up, respecting the source, without doing strange things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMU ➡️
The update solve the Cubase 11 freeze bug when pressing the FIR button (on Catalina).
This is good to hear, I will likely make this the official version when others report the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by blamejake ➡️
Thanks so much for this tasty gem and bManic for bringing this to light here!
Works flawlessly here on Win10 Studio One (yep - I'm trying to break it ;-) ).
Sounds wonderful. Great work! Thanks, again.
All the best to you JonV and everyone here on GS!
Cheers, glad you like it Trying to break it = the best kind of tester!

Quote:
Originally Posted by denork ➡️
Wow, what a great find, I can't believe it's free.

I have tested it on one voice and with few adjustments I have managed to make it sound very good, voice up, respecting the source, without doing strange things.
One of the use cases I originally wanted it for was to crush vocals to bring to the front of a mix without distortion (eg if they already had all the character, and just need to be brought up). I tend to use quite extreme settings: turn on lookahead, set the sidechain to "natural", attack to 0.0ms, release to 50ms or shorter, ratio to 10, and knee to soft. But gentler settings can also be used for more subtle stuff of course
Lives for gear

I did a compression of 6db's in peaks.

You should put a donation button on your website, it is the minimum!
Old 24th December 2020
OMU
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Or release a paid version (the way TDR is doing) with variable link and more control over the sidechain filter.
Old 24th December 2020
Gear Head

This compressor is very clean in FIR mode. On the other hand, the CPU consumption is very low. Is incredible!
Gear Maniac

Still freezes up on Win 10
Old 24th December 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Donation link please!
Old 24th December 2020
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Wow best freee compressor I've ever used personally job well done fam!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
This would indeed be great! Unlinked, aka dual-mono operation is really nice with compressors.

If you want to take it a step further, simply add a variable control that goes from 0% (fully unlinked) to 100% linked. Usually this is achieved with a simple mid/side sidechain signal where you simply gradually reduce the amount of the side channel.. all the way to zero, aka mono.
Quote:
Originally Posted by analag ➡️
Still freezes up on Win 10
Ok, if the new win version I posted still isn't working in Cubase (from my post at the bottom of page 1, the FirComp_winVST3_cw.zip file), then drop me an email: fircomp at jonvaudio dot com, and I will send you a debug version which should give more detailed crash information. Thanks for your patience on this
Old 24th December 2020
Gear Nut

This compressor is the only one that can really tame transients like hardware. Amazing! :-)
Old 24th December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
This thing is a genuine revelation. Well done!!
Old 24th December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The more I put this compressor through different steps of my productions, the more I like it.

In addition to the unlinked stereo operation, I have yet another request: Any chance to implement more precise metering? Personally, I’d love to see something along the length of the GUI, rather than on the side of it. This way you can implement a bigger, more precise metering without changing anything else. With clean compressors such as this one, precise and detailed metering can be very helpful.
Thanks again for this great tool!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic ➡️
This would indeed be great! Unlinked, aka dual-mono operation is really nice with compressors.

If you want to take it a step further, simply add a variable control that goes from 0% (fully unlinked) to 100% linked. Usually this is achieved with a simple mid/side sidechain signal where you simply gradually reduce the amount of the side channel.. all the way to zero, aka mono.
Yep this would be simple to implement, will aim to get this done soon as so many people have requested it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broco ➡️
Donation link please!
I've added this to the FirComp page (same as before: jonvaudio.com/fircomp/). However, FirComp will stay as a free plugin as I am planning to release different, paid-for plugins in future, so nobody should feel obligated.
Old 24th December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm really happy to see all the positive comments and reception of this incredible little gem of a compressor! Jon tweaked it to perfection in my opinion and it's an extremely precise dynamics tool that doesn't really alter the original source in any negative way. These kinds of tools are quite rare and very useful!
Old 25th December 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Exclamation

Quote:
Hi, was the crash caused when you tried to turn on lookahead? If so, you are welcome try this temporary workaround for the Windows VST3 version, that I built just now
JonVAudio, thanks for your plugin, it work very nice in Reaper and Logic X on Mac Os - low cpu and sounds very good, but I have a problem in Cubase 10 too! (on Mac). When Im push the button Zero L - it's freeze my DAW... Rainbow wheel you know...
📝 Reply