Gainlab Audio: new company announces Vari-Mu Compressor and Passive EQ - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Gainlab Audio: new company announces Vari-Mu Compressor and Passive EQ
Old 14th February 2021
Deleted fe72b38
Yes, this certainly looks very well made.
Old 16th February 2021
Lives for gear
Cool, are the pots on the Dictator stepped?

--
edit: i can see in the review that all but threshold are
Old 17th February 2021 | Show parent
Gainlab Audio

Hello,

All the pots except the Threshold is stepped. To make it usable even in 24 steps would be not really useful to make such proper and material sensitive compression setup. So in our current solution it's a potentiometer.

Cheers,
Imre
Old 17th February 2021
Lives for gear

Where are the prices. I would love too support.
Old 17th February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_ ➡️
Where are the prices. I would love too support.
They're on their website.
Old 18th February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Very interested in the comp, though the name is a bit odd.... i forgot your company name and checked for gain - dictator - Hungary, and all I got was Orban....
Gonna check the audio samples and might order soon.
Gear Head

beautiful!!Thank you!!
Old 18th February 2021
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Any chance you're offering a bundle price if someone ordered both?
Gear Maniac

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
In the sound examples the comp sounded very nice so far, would have been interesting though to have also a bit more complex material, these were all quite sparse. But maybe best to try ourselves. Hows the guarantee and is there a chance to send it back if its not working out as expected? Best Michael
Old 19th February 2021
Lives for gear

I honestly thought then compressor was dual mono.
Old 19th February 2021
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Some video demos of this bad bwoy might just tip me over the edge on a purchase.
Old 20th February 2021 | Show parent
Gainlab Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblewis1 ➡️
Any chance you're offering a bundle price if someone ordered both?
Hello,
We're offering our products with early bird action which is really the best we can offer and we do it only for a limited time. The Dictator's early bird ends by end of this month. So maybe it's the good time to have it for such a good price.
Gainlab Audio

Hello,
We offer 3 years of warranty for the unit and 6 months for the tubes from the time of purchase. If you don't like the unit you can send it back in 14 days and we pay you back.
Gainlab Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_ ➡️
I honestly thought then compressor was dual mono.
Hello,
The controls of the unit are designed to have the same amount of precise control over the two channels. You can link or unlink the sidechain channels which gives you some kind of freedom.
Old 22nd February 2021
Gear Maniac

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I compared the comp with UAD Fairchild and Manley and have to say i wasn’t totally convinced by the basic tone, the bypassed file also went through the same DA/AD i guess so it should be a fair comparison?
Old 22nd February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Did you run it through an analog dictator? Or are you comparing the online files?

all the best

bojan
Old 22nd February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Any details on the Eq: manual, specs?
Old 23rd February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Beautiful inside and out...
Old 24th February 2021
Gainlab Audio

Thanks for everybody's patience! Here we have uploaded some video that has been taken with Dictator vari-mu compressor at Gainlab Studio.

I hope you will love it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te6L...wpyNldeS0jirnI
Old 24th February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
received the unit

Today I received my dictator.

The unit was perfectly packed and communication (questions and regarding shipment) was fast and precise.

Build quality is excellent.

The logic of controls, the stepped buttons except the threshold for the compression control suits my workflow very well.

I have patched it into a drum bus, a grand piano bus and on a solo violin from a classical philharmony hall, on very dynamic female vocals -I could always find a fast and good setting and finetweak intuitively.

I do a lot of accoustic music with a wide range of dynamics and I am very sensitive to self-noise: very well.

In Vari-Mus I usually work a couple of dB. This works very well with the dictator as expected.

The choice between a 670-LOCOMP and a more aggressive HICOMP is the speciality of this architecture.
On female vocals I fastly achieved a good result with the HICOMP, all others I prefered LOCOMP.

The Sidechain goes higher than most of the others (up to 200 Hz) which I liked on grand piano for a natural depth.

it's very good.
Considering the price it is excellent.

BTW I am not affiliated with this company and will order at least one more unit.

bojan

PS a company that even sends you a pair of extra spare fuses (and a three-years-warranty) is a good one.
Old 17th March 2021 | Show parent
Manufacturer contact @ GS

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan_1 ➡️
Today I received my dictator.

The unit was perfectly packed and communication (questions and regarding shipment) was fast and precise.

Build quality is excellent.

The logic of controls, the stepped buttons except the threshold for the compression control suits my workflow very well.

I have patched it into a drum bus, a grand piano bus and on a solo violin from a classical philharmony hall, on very dynamic female vocals -I could always find a fast and good setting and finetweak intuitively.

I do a lot of accoustic music with a wide range of dynamics and I am very sensitive to self-noise: very well.

In Vari-Mus I usually work a couple of dB. This works very well with the dictator as expected.

The choice between a 670-LOCOMP and a more aggressive HICOMP is the speciality of this architecture.
On female vocals I fastly achieved a good result with the HICOMP, all others I prefered LOCOMP.

The Sidechain goes higher than most of the others (up to 200 Hz) which I liked on grand piano for a natural depth.

it's very good.
Considering the price it is excellent.

BTW I am not affiliated with this company and will order at least one more unit.

bojan

PS a company that even sends you a pair of extra spare fuses (and a three-years-warranty) is a good one.
Received mine yesterday. Arrived perfectly packaged and the email communication excellent.

Looking forward to properly checking this out. If it sounds anything like it looks it’ll be awesome. Ps I did not receive this for free in case anyone’s thinking.

Oh and a note on the packaging, not that it matters to some, but I do appreciate the attention to detail in the box...extra fuses, fun door hanger, stickers etc
Attached Thumbnails
Gainlab Audio: new company announces Vari-Mu Compressor and Passive EQ-6f2d42ae-9ae5-4628-aba3-ccbf0ea20380.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Process file

Hi everyone!
Is someone kind to process the file from the mastering compressor thread please ? It will be awesome to know how does the dictator sounds.
Little GR and if possible a run with the sidechain to save low end
I Need to add a varimu to my setup soon.
Many Thanks in advance

File : https://bit.ly/3oy97aQ
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear
Empress

Hi! Has anyone tried the Empress ? I m thinking about pulling the trigger but there are no sound samples anywhere...
Old 11 hours ago | Show parent
Manufacturer contact @ GS

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudiopallone ➡️
Hi! Has anyone tried the Empress ? I m thinking about pulling the trigger but there are no sound samples anywhere...
No not yet. Looks really great…I wonder if @ Gainlab Audio have samples ready to share?
📝 Reply