The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TAL J-8 (Jupiter-8 Emulation)
Old 18th March 2021 | Show parent
I followed the steps you described and can confirm that it does not crash on my system, running on Cubase.

You can try to import the tracks into a fresh project (if that is possible in your DAW). I know it helped me in number of occasions with such unexplainable plugin errors.

Seeing the frequency in which J-8 is updated, I am guessing that 1.4 is not too far away so its a good thing you contacted the devs, they will probably address the situation.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septic ➡️
Thank for checking it out. You tried to reopen a song with an JP8 instance already saved into it right? And then after reopening trigger some midinotes. Just to be clear. I wished I hold on to a copy of 1.38
I had a similar problem with 1.37; I just took the track with J-8, loaded a different AU, then reloaded J-8 and it seemed to fix the problem.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marzzz ➡️
I had a similar problem with 1.37; I just took the track with J-8, loaded a different AU, then reloaded J-8 and it seemed to fix the problem.
Yeah I reload the JP8 AU before playing a midinote and then it is no issue.
Old 22nd March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Version 1.4.0 of TAL-J-8 released, with the following change log:
  • Possible crash fixed when hiting play in your DAW.
  • MIDI PANEL mode added (button on the top right). MIDI LEARN controlls the actual panel when enabled.
  • VCA LFO modulation smoothed like on the hardware.
  • Super small adjustment to the SAW waveform. It affects only very low played saws. You may do not hear any difference. Just to be more accurate to the original hardware.

https://tal-software.com/products/tal-j-8
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl. Punishment ➡️
  • Possible crash fixed when hiting play in your DAW.
  • MIDI PANEL mode added (button on the top right). MIDI LEARN controlls the actual panel when enabled.
  • VCA LFO modulation smoothed like on the hardware.
  • Super small adjustment to the SAW waveform. It affects only very low played saws. You may do not hear any difference. Just to be more accurate to the original hardware.

Yes after some testing here with Patrick, it seems that the instant crash after reopening the project a J-8 instance was saved and pressing a midi note on that particular J-8 track has been fixed.

I am happy again.

Last edited by Septic; 22nd March 2021 at 07:05 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
As always, thanks from those of us not on FB
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marzzz ➡️
As always, thanks from those of us not on FB
I haven't been on FB in 8 years. I set up an alert with changetower for the J-8 page.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This plugin is really something else. I love playing it. Such a smooth sound (if you want)
Old 25th March 2021 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septic ➡️
This plugin is really something else. I love playing it. Such a smooth sound (if you want)
I think I am going to repeat myself. J-8, just wow! I am loving it more and more each day, you get such nice sounds out of it effortlessly. I own a number of hardware analog synths and notice I use them less frequently. Companies like TAL, Synapse, U-He and GForce are really pushing the boundaries. I wouldn't be surprised if hardware sales are (or will be) in decline.
Lives for gear

Version 1.4.1 of TAL-J-8 released, with the following change log:
  • Skips presets when using arrow buttons in some hosts fixed.
  • Minor bug fixes.
  • UI refresh.

Lives for gear

Quote:
Version 1.4.1 of TAL-J-8 released, with the following change log:
  • Skips presets when using arrow buttons in some hosts fixed.
  • Minor bug fixes.
  • UI refresh.

Thanks!
Some developers - only a very few - leave you wondering when, or if, they sleep. (TBProAudio is another one)
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
This is such a beautiful plugin. Basically my favorite analog synth emulation. Anyone else feeling the same?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorrrrrr ➡️
This is such a beautiful plugin. Basically my favorite analog synth emulation. Anyone else feeling the same?
Favorite? No. Is it beautiful? Yes.
Lives for gear

21 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yeah, when it comes to virtual analogs, this is number one or two for me. It's between J-8 and RePro-5. I think the extra slop tuning options in the SC panel and split/dual modes give J-8 a bit of an edge. But then again, RePro just sounds like a Prophet, which is an altogether different sound, and one I very much like. They're both just wonderful IMO.
Here for the gear
Quote:
TAL J-8 is about 50% of the times the reason I fire up my MacBook Pro
If I haven’t been in a complete Vintage Synth rush before, I’m certainly since I bought TAL J-8
It is, for me, the best and most fun to play Virtual Synth I have. Period.

I’m not sure though, if the updated look in v1.4.1 was meant to make it look more like their Jupiter-8 reference synth, or to give it a more unique TAL look, it lost a bit of the contrast.
I only know the Jupiter-8 from pictures, of course, but I really like how the colors “shine” especially the orange (I know the Pantone 718C is most likely based on the official Pantone RGB reference picture) and that all the strokes and text are in perfect white and very readable.

If the day comes when TAL releases the J-8 for the iPad, this will also be the day when I switch from using the Nord Stage 2 EX as my exclusive sound engine to a hybrid setup

Btw - in my first YouTube hard rock synth cover I use my DX7 IIFD and multiple stacked TAL J-8s
https://youtu.be/xAnpyU3D3LU
📝 Reply