Acustica intros Camel: 1973-inspired suite with 36 preamps, a monster comp and bold EQ - Page 5 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Acustica intros Camel: 1973-inspired suite with 36 preamps, a monster comp and bold EQ
Old 13th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Finally putting Camel through its paces. After speaking on the A-Range in another thread I remembered this release. I cant speak too much about the A modules as I only tried them for about 5 minutes on its release day and then uninstalled and moved on as I had other projects to work on.

Now that Ive settled into N4 and have played with an array of preamps and eqs, comparing the B preamps, I am surprised how close they are to Neves. However I find these fatter, more open, thicker, more size...pretty much more of everything except the Neve's being more crisp in the mids. Its clean for sure but has mojo for days. Im actually shocked.

Id also take this eq (B module) over the Neves which I personally never gelled with except for low end or low mid material. The low and high pass filters are interesting as they seem to contain the music within the bounds of the chosen frequencies rather than just lopping off the information and then saying "here is what you have you have left". The mid frequencies I find great for dipping out information and you can clearly hear the hollow effect it creates which makes space for whatever you're cutting for. Too much and it gets dull fast though. Small doses is the name of the game with this eq especially when compared to Timp's 1061 for instance which is the epitome of "passive".

Camel's B pre and eq modules I find the perfect solution for the first line of treatment ITB to mimic a tracking console. Its clean enough to preserve what you have but brings loads of mojo when pushed, and really good at basic shaping. I thought I would be a bit more annoyed by not having access to low mid frequencies but so far I didnt even think about it while in use.

Great Job!
Old 13th December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Exactly and that's the reason why AA must import Camel to Modula as soon as possible.
I'm sure it will attract more people to Modula boat.
One of my most beloved Acqua channel strips
Old 15th December 2020
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I really wasn't trying to buy any more Acustica bits... but I use gold all the time but its so distinctive and feels like a even the smallest boost makes a huge difference. I tried this.
I love this. I don’t know if its the eq curves but it all interacts so perfectly. I have issues with all the gui’s and the metering. But this has crept in and is my go to.
Old 31st December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Acustica should consider selling just the preamp plugin for Camel, as well as other plugin sets that have a similar pre plugin with multiple choices.

You could sell a lot at a lower price.
Old 31st December 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arionas ➡️
Exactly and that's the reason why AA must import Camel to Modula as soon as possible.
I'm sure it will attract more people to Modula boat.
One of my most beloved Acqua channel strips
+1 - this and Pensado would work so well for me in Modula. It's gone a bit quiet on the new modules front there...

Last edited by Pushang; 31st December 2020 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: words, meant Persando not Pink
Old 31st December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushang ➡️
+1 - this and Pensado would work so well for me in Modula. It's gone a bit quiet on the new modules front there...
Yeah but Pensado EQ must be coupled with a Pensado Compressor. Why not?
Old 10th March 2021
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Anybody else having problems with the 7k on the B part of the EQ. From what I can tell the MF on the B part of the eq are supposed to be have the same, but the 7k under the HF has a much smoother response while the 7k on the MF above the LF jumps around kind of crazy for me.
Old 2nd April 2021
Acustica Audio

Happy Easter!

Limited time only! From April 2 through April 7, 2021, you have the opportunity to save big on Purple, Taupe, Ultramarine, Lemon, and Camel.
Add some serious mojo to your studio setup now

https://www.acustica-audio.com/pages...ter-promo-2021

Old 3rd April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

how's everyone getting on with Camel after the honeymoon?
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudscape ➡️
It's still an amazing BUS Compressor
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Still like it. Still having issues with the 7k band on model B of the eq. Everything else about it sounds great
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudscape ➡️
still my favourite aa for vintage flavoured compression, gets a lot of use on individual drum and bass instruments.
📝 Reply