The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cranborne EC1 preamp/headphone amp
Old 15th October 2020
  #1
Lives for gear
 
mutetourettes's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Cranborne EC1 preamp/headphone amp

https://www.cranborne-audio.com/camdenec1Cranborne have just announced EC1 on instagranny.. looks to be exactly half of an EC2!

Much more interesting to us skinflints!


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc12lAcur50

Rrp £549 inc vat

Last edited by mutetourettes; 15th October 2020 at 06:31 PM..
Old 15th October 2020
  #2
Lives for gear
 
mutetourettes's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Which is basically what it would cost to buy a camden, a single-slot 500 case and an atom headphone amp... I’m quite excited by this development 👍
Old 17th October 2020
  #3
Lives for gear
 
cracker satchmo's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes ➡️
https://www.cranborne-audio.com/camdenec1Cranborne have just announced EC1 on instagranny.. looks to be exactly half of an EC2!

Much more interesting to us skinflints!


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc12lAcur50

Rrp £549 inc vat
Sounds like a brilliant idea (pre-headphone amp combo)! And one reads good things about the preamp...
Old 17th October 2020
  #4
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Is the headphone amp any better than the one on the Babyface pro FS?
Old 18th October 2020
  #5
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Nice, I'd have been all over this last year. Looks great!
Old 18th October 2020 | Show parent
  #6
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRobinSTB ➡️
Is the headphone amp any better than the one on the Babyface pro FS?
Hi RockinRobinSTB,

Referencing purely published specs, which are objective, rather than a subjective preference thing. Here is the Babyface Pro FS's tech specs regarding the headphone amp:

-Output impedance: 10 Ohm
-Output level at 0 dBFS, 1 kOhm load: +13 dBu
-Max power @ 0.1% THD: 60 mW
-Signal to Noise ratio (SNR): 114.8 dB RMS unweighted, 118 dBA
-Noise level: -101.8 dBu



And here is Camden EC1's headphone amp specs:

Frequency Response: -1dB, <1Hz to >70kHz
-THD:<0.0006% (-104.4dB) @ +20dBu, 1kHz, A-weighted, 300 Ohm load
-THD+N: <0.00085% (-101.4dB) @ +20dBu, 1kHz, A-weighted, 300 Ohm load
-Output Impedance: 0.33 Ohms
-Output Wattage:

250mW x 2 @ 600 Ohms, 1kHz
650mW x 2 @ 220 Ohms, 1kHz
1.21W x 2 @ 100 Ohms, 1kHz
500mW x 2 @ 32 Ohms, 1kHz

-Dynamic Range: 114.5dB A-weighted, AES17 method, 20Hz - 20kHz, 300 Ohm load
-Noise Floor: -93.5dBu A-weighted, 20Hz - 20kHz, 300 Ohm load


Unfortunately, like too many manufacturer's specs, RME doesn't publish as much detail for the headphone amp as one would ideally like such as THD, frequency response. So in these areas we unfortunately cannot compare. However, I would assume in both response we exceed the RME's design as our specs are among the most elite headphone amps you can find.

But in other specs they do publish, you can see we have:

1. significantly more power (which you need for high impedance headphones such as 250 ohm and 600 ohm design).

2. Significantly lower output impedance which is critical to achieve frequency linearity with low impedance headphones such as 32 ohms. The rule of thumb is you need an output amp to have 1/10th the impedance of the headphones for impedance matching and to ensure frequency linearity as the impedance of the headphone drivers vary over the frequency range. I attached a plot showing 4 different headphones and the varying impedance over the frequency range. The key here is whatever the lowest impedance value is, you'd ideally want your headphone amp's output impedance to be 1/10th of this. Our 0.33 ohm impedance means 32 ohm headphones should have no issues with impedance whilst the 10 ohm output from a Babyface Pro FS would be loading 32 ohm headphones and affecting frequency response.

3. RME's dynamic range is slightly better whilst their spec'd noise floor appears to be lower than the Camden EC1 the way RME spec'd (we use the AES17 and use a 300 ohm load, RME doesn't state how they do their measurement method). But given the output wattage of the Babyface Pro FS vs Camden EC1's I would imagine in practice with most headphones the Camden EC1 would be superior in both respects but I can't say that definitively based on RME's specs.

Hope that helps! Thanks for the interest and questions!

Sean from Cranborne
Attached Thumbnails
Cranborne EC1 preamp/headphone amp-beyer_dt880_graph_hd595compare.jpg  
Old 19th October 2020
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Ribbonmicguy's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Imagine a soundcard embedded into this.

A great sounding pre
A great headphone amp
A 2 channel interface.

One can always dream .
Old 21st October 2020 | Show parent
  #8
Lives for gear
 
mutetourettes's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribbonmicguy ➡️
Imagine a soundcard embedded into this.

A great sounding pre
A great headphone amp
A 2 channel interface.

One can always dream .
well the Cranborne folks seem to have the smarts, ie in the R8 500 so let's hope so, but maybe 4 in 4 out interface for extra versatility (e.g. pitch/catch/monitor)


...oh yeah, and with adat i/o too
Old 21st October 2020 | Show parent
  #9
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes ➡️
well the Cranborne folks seem to have the smarts, ie in the R8 500 so let's hope so, but maybe 4 in 4 out interface for extra versatility (e.g. pitch/catch/monitor)


...oh yeah, and with adat i/o too
+1!!

let's help them with some ideas:

- a nice interface desktop version with 4 preamps, with HPF, inserts, adat 96K I/O and some monitoring bells and whistles, the one to beat is the arturia audiofuse studio imho.
maybe a modular slot to keep the box upgradable with other connection protocols (Dante, PT, whatever apple comes out with in the future).

- a 1RU 8 channels preamp, with hpf and maybe their mojo thing, with adat out

- eq's and comp (500 and 19")

- small recording/mixing console with comps and eq on every channel, inserts, some groups, monitoring.





Cheu
Old 22nd October 2020
  #10
Gear Head
Converters!

Cranborne has great converters on 500R8 and 500ADAT! They could put out an 8 or 16 channel line level 1U converter unit as well!!
Old 25th October 2020
  #11
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Wow, exactly what I was looking for to monitor recording straight to converters into RME Raydat. Perfect. Best product of the year.
Old 26th October 2020
  #12
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
This looks amazing. The price is just right, along with the specs. The only thing that would be perfect is of it has rack ears? Can anyone say? I don't like having a lot of stuff on my desk.
Old 26th October 2020 | Show parent
  #13
Lives for gear
 
mutetourettes's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenVile ➡️
This looks amazing. The price is just right, along with the specs. The only thing that would be perfect is of it has rack ears? Can anyone say? I don't like having a lot of stuff on my desk.
yes soundtech are quoting rrp £40 inc vat for rack kit:

https://www.soundtech.co.uk/news/sou...new-camden-ec1

and it's on p12 of the manual:

https://vintageking.com/amfile/file/...product/40751/
Old 26th October 2020 | Show parent
  #14
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes ➡️
yes soundtech are quoting rrp £40 inc vat for rack kit:

https://www.soundtech.co.uk/news/sou...new-camden-ec1

and it's on p12 of the manual:

https://vintageking.com/amfile/file/...product/40751/
Thank you so much. This seems like a must-have!
Old 16th December 2020
  #15
I got mine last week and am really enjoying it so far. Super low noise. I have a Grace m101 and while both units are excellent and super transparent—vocals through the Grace are sparkling clean, while the vocals through the EC1 are clean and detailed yet more 3D. And the headphone amp drives my headphones much better than my Audient ID22. Really cool. Love using thump to thicken some of my brighter mics. Also I previously ordered a Chameleon Labs single slot to pair with the Camden 500 but strangely they didn’t fit together. Both companies were very nice and walked me through everything, but we still couldn’t solve the mystery except that they were ultimately incompatible. And Cranborne suggested I get the EC1. Glad I did! Also I think the EC1 has a built in power protecter thing. The phantom very slowly and gently turns off, and I have to hold the main power button for a few seconds to get the unit to power down. I think that’s a nice touch to avoid accidents.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #16
JGM
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
@ cran borne
Can a pair of these be racked mounted together?
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #17
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM ➡️
@ cran borne
Can a pair of these be racked mounted together?
Hey JGM,

Yes they can indeed! We have an optional 'Half Rack Kit' that includes all of the hardware accessories required to rack-mount a single EC1, or two together.

https://www.cranborne-audio.com/halfrackkit

all you have to do is remove the lid of one unit and use the supplied screws to attach the units together.



Of course, you may want to consider our Camden EC2 if you want two channels of Camden preamps, however using two Camden EC1's has slight differences in terms of I/O and routing.

Hope that helps!

ells
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #18
JGM
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ells ➡️
Hey JGM,

Yes they can indeed! We have an optional 'Half Rack Kit' that includes all of the hardware accessories required to rack-mount a single EC1, or two together.

https://www.cranborne-audio.com/halfrackkit

all you have to do is remove the lid of one unit and use the supplied screws to attach the units together.



Of course, you may want to consider our Camden EC2 if you want two channels of Camden preamps, however using two Camden EC1's has slight differences in terms of I/O and routing.

Hope that helps!

ells
Thanks.
It’s more about having 2 available for mixing stereo sources, but being able to have 1 for portable recording.
Can you elaborate on the routings differences you eluded to?
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #19
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM ➡️
Thanks.
It’s more about having 2 available for mixing stereo sources, but being able to have 1 for portable recording.
Can you elaborate on the routings differences you eluded to?
Hi JGM,

Only Camden EC2 has a CAST INPUT that allows you to breakout EC2's preamp inputs using an N22/N22H - placing the I/O where you need it by the source/performer. (bit like a posh stagebox/multicore that uses shielded cat 5e, Cat 6, and Cat 7).

Both EC1/EC2 have a CAST output which allows you to send the Preamp outputs through CAST and to an N22/N22H on the other end. The CAST output is cool as you can place the Preamp where it is needed in the studio (with direct monitoring and headphone amp facilities) and then record the preamp in the control room using CAST and a passive N22 on the other end.

The EC1 also has a mono EXT in in addition to the rear panel stereo Aux Input, whereas the EC2 just has the stereo AUX input. The EXT IN useful for example as you can connect a mono 'comfort' reverb that the vocalist can then mix in to taste during tracking. This will give zero-latency control of the preamp signal, separate level for the reverb, and separate level of the backing track using the mixer on the front panel - it's pretty neat! I put the EC1 by the vocalist and let them control their own monitor mix using the controls - saves me a job!

EC2's mixer does not the EXT IN and instead has a level control for its second channel which is better for mix'ing true stereo sources. So, for example, if you were mic'ing up a stereo piano with 2x EC1s, you would have to connect the line output of the 1st EC1 to the EXT IN of the 2nd to enable the headphone output on unit 2 to monitor both signals in Mono - whereas on EC2 you can monitor both preamp signals in true stereo from one device without making extra patches.

Basically, if you just just want two Camden preamps without advanced monitoring or CAST, then both devices are the same, whereas if you want less complexity, more flexibility, and true monitoring for stereo sources, then EC2 might be the way to go.

In terms of CAST, we have produced a video that may help understand why it might want to be used with EC1. This video isn't public yet, but I'll share it with you anyways (if you wouldn't mind keeping it on the DL! ). Not that it is a big secret of course!



Hope that helps!

Ells
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #20
JGM
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ells ➡️
Hi JGM,

Only Camden EC2 has a CAST INPUT that allows you to breakout EC2's preamp inputs using an N22/N22H - placing the I/O where you need it by the source/performer. (bit like a posh stagebox/multicore that uses shielded cat 5e, Cat 6, and Cat 7).

Both EC1/EC2 have a CAST output which allows you to send the Preamp outputs through CAST and to an N22/N22H on the other end. The CAST output is cool as you can place the Preamp where it is needed in the studio (with direct monitoring and headphone amp facilities) and then record the preamp in the control room using CAST and a passive N22 on the other end.

The EC1 also has a mono EXT in in addition to the rear panel stereo Aux Input, whereas the EC2 just has the stereo AUX input. The EXT IN useful for example as you can connect a mono 'comfort' reverb that the vocalist can then mix in to taste during tracking. This will give zero-latency control of the preamp signal, separate level for the reverb, and separate level of the backing track using the mixer on the front panel - it's pretty neat! I put the EC1 by the vocalist and let them control their own monitor mix using the controls - saves me a job!

EC2's mixer does not the EXT IN and instead has a level control for its second channel which is better for mix'ing true stereo sources. So, for example, if you were mic'ing up a stereo piano with 2x EC1s, you would have to connect the line output of the 1st EC1 to the EXT IN of the 2nd to enable the headphone output on unit 2 to monitor both signals in Mono - whereas on EC2 you can monitor both preamp signals in true stereo from one device without making extra patches.

Basically, if you just just want two Camden preamps without advanced monitoring or CAST, then both devices are the same, whereas if you want less complexity, more flexibility, and true monitoring for stereo sources, then EC2 might be the way to go.

In terms of CAST, we have produced a video that may help understand why it might want to be used with EC1. This video isn't public yet, but I'll share it with you anyways (if you wouldn't mind keeping it on the DL! ). Not that it is a big secret of course!



Hope that helps!

Ells
Thanks Ells,
Awesome explanation and video. Lots to digest. But I can say you guys really thought everything out thoroughly when designing these units.
Can't wait to get a couple of Camdens into my set-up.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 89 views: 4473
Avatar for Phaidon
Phaidon 27th February 2011
replies: 104 views: 11838
Avatar for livingloud
livingloud 3 weeks ago
replies: 19 views: 765
Avatar for D_T_Music
D_T_Music 2 weeks ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump