Rupert Neve Designs: Master Buss Converter - Page 8 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rupert Neve Designs: Master Buss Converter
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #211
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by citytape ➡️
I already got Lynx Aurora N. Does Master Buss Converter really necessary?
Been thinking the same thing. In our opinion, the Grimm clock improved both Hedd 192 (non Q) and Aurora(n), but we preferred Aurora(n) to Hedd 192 (both on Grimm), so the Hedd was sold.

We also had an Antelope 10MX atomic clock with an Orion HD interface in here, to compare. Both sounded very good but we kept the Aurora(n) + Grimm.

I assume a new Hedd Q, Rupert MBC or AD+ would be superior to an Aurora (n) + Grimm, but can't get any of those in here to compare at the moment. Any insight would be appreciated.

Last edited by raal; 4 weeks ago at 02:11 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #212
Lives for gear
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by raal ➡️
Been thinking the same thing. In our opinion, the Grimm clock improved both Hedd 192 (non Q) and Aurora(n), but we preferred Aurora(n) to Hedd 192 (both on Grimm), so the Hedd was sold.

We also had an Antelope 10MX atomic clock with an Orion HD interface in here, to compare. Both sounded very good but we kept the Aurora(n) + Grimm.

I assume a new Hedd Q, Rupert MBC or AD+ would be superior to an Aurora (n) + Grimm, but can't get any of the above in here to compare at the moment. Any insight would be appreciated.
I think the Aurora n and the Grimm will be a hard combo to beat. I heard a DA / AD loop back test with the Aurora n, the Hilo, the Hilo clocked by HEDD Quantum and the Convert 2 & AD+. In order of accuracy and pleasing to the ear (IMO):

Hilo clocked by the HEDD Quantum
Convert 2 & AD+
Aurora n
Hilo

Based on what heard on that test with the external clocking of the Hilo, I would loved to hear the Aurora n clocked with the Quantum or the Grimm. It possibly would sound even better.

On the same loop back test, the Hilo clocked with the Quantum, was nearly on par with a Forssell and the Prism Dream ADA-128.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #213
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by qslprod ➡️
Thanks @ RoundBadge , so cool to get your feedback

I think HG2 will be on my list, did you have the chance to compare it to the Culture Vulture before buying it ?

About compressor for mastering, you're right about trying to get some gain with tubeGear, I'm mistaking. I think I should try to get some nice color & vibe with Tube compressor and then add some gain with non tube unit. For the tube stage, why not a pair of Retro 176 or RS124 for colouring ? EAR660 should sound great but it's too expensive :D

Then for final stage gain I don't know, do you think the Zener could be a great addition to a pair of 176 or 124 ? I need to find the best combo for mastering my own music

Thanks in advance and sorry for all these questions, much respect for all your knowledges
its all very subjective getting from point A to B.
I suggest you try as many pieces as possible then decide what works for you specifically .

Last edited by RoundBadge; 4 weeks ago at 09:36 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #214
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Thanks Roundbadge, if only... in Europe not a lot of shops has demo unit and we can’t go outside country due to never ending lockdown. I’m waiting for a year now to be able to listen to gears but I will soon have to go ahead. Can’t wait any longer :/
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #215
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by qslprod ➡️
Thanks Roundbadge, if only... in Europe not a lot of shops has demo unit and we can’t go outside country due to never ending lockdown. I’m waiting for a year now to be able to listen to gears but I will soon have to go ahead. Can’t wait any longer :/
Same deal here in LA.
Harder to get demos these days cause of the Covid thing.
That’s why this past year I’d just buy then have a 30 day return window if it didn’t work out.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #216
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
I don’t like returning gear and prefer be 100% sure before buying but you’re right. What is your number one varimu comp ?

About this thread I’ve ordered the new ada128, never had the chance to add a Grimm or hedd to my current ada8xr and Aurora16. I hope the clock of the ada128 will be great
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #217
Lives for gear
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by qslprod ➡️
I don’t like returning gear and prefer be 100% sure before buying but you’re right. What is your number one varimu comp ?

About this thread I’ve ordered the new ada128, never had the chance to add a Grimm or hedd to my current ada8xr and Aurora16. I hope the clock of the ada128 will be great
With the cost of the ADA128 I would hope so. I reckon you are in safe hands.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #218
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
I hope too, I had 3 ADA8XR so I sold them all except one till I receive the ADA128, it will save me a lot of space in my rack (I work in a small room :/
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #219
Lives for gear
 
Slug1's Avatar
 
6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by qslprod ➡️
I hope too, I had 3 ADA8XR so I sold them all except one till I receive the ADA128, it will save me a lot of space in my rack (I work in a small room :/
Wow!! That’s a lot of cheese!!! Three 8XR?? Wow!!
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #220
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 ➡️
Wow!! That’s a lot of cheese!!! Three 8XR?? Wow!!
I used them as digital insert in my dow to give me flexibility to use my analog 500 modules , was fun. I've also used them in normal DA/AD for 24 channel and was fine too. Combined with and Aurora Lynx thunderbolt to computer (the 16 channels Lynx used also for sound with less heavy material and the Ada8xr to give punch on dynamic material.

Now jumping for a Dante connection with an only ADA128, it will be my first experience with Dante hope it will be good
Old 4 weeks ago
  #221
Lives for gear
 
YOHAMI's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Babies arrived - MBC + Dangerous Convert 8 + Grimm CC1 (plus a Burl B2 on the next rack for tracking). Thanks @ RoundBadge for reviewing stuff for the few of us who can't try before we buy
Attached Thumbnails
Rupert Neve Designs: Master Buss Converter-img-20210407-wa0001.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #222
Lives for gear
 
Slug1's Avatar
 
6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by qslprod ➡️
I used them as digital insert in my dow to give me flexibility to use my analog 500 modules , was fun. I've also used them in normal DA/AD for 24 channel and was fine too. Combined with and Aurora Lynx thunderbolt to computer (the 16 channels Lynx used also for sound with less heavy material and the Ada8xr to give punch on dynamic material.

Now jumping for a Dante connection with an only ADA128, it will be my first experience with Dante hope it will be good
Look forward to your review of the 128. And especially given your experience with 8XR, which is second to none. Just love Prism conversion!! I’m eyeing 128 so I’m anxious to get your impressions.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #223
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 ➡️
Look forward to your review of the 128. And especially given your experience with 8XR, which is second to none. Just love Prism conversion!! I’m eyeing 128 so I’m anxious to get your impressions.
I hope to receive it soon, I will need to patch again everything as I've also ordered a lot of new gears but I will let you know if the sounds has improved
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #224
Lives for gear
 
Slug1's Avatar
 
6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by qslprod ➡️
I hope to receive it soon, I will need to patch again everything as I've also ordered a lot of new gears but I will let you know if the sounds has improved
Cool!! Even if it’s on par with Dream and 8XR would make it appealing given the price.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #225
Lives for gear
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOHAMI ➡️
Babies arrived - MBC + Dangerous Convert 8 + Grimm CC1 (plus a Burl B2 on the next rack for tracking). Thanks @ RoundBadge for reviewing stuff for the few of us who can't try before we buy
Cool . Looks like someone's going to have fun over the coming days / weeks!

You'll have to lets us know how you get on, and if you prefer the units clocked with the Grimm or MBC. I would expect from the sound samples I heard of the MBC, that it has an excellent clock.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #226
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by qslprod ➡️
I used them as digital insert in my dow to give me flexibility to use my analog 500 modules , was fun. I've also used them in normal DA/AD for 24 channel and was fine too. Combined with and Aurora Lynx thunderbolt to computer (the 16 channels Lynx used also for sound with less heavy material and the Ada8xr to give punch on dynamic material.

Now jumping for a Dante connection with an only ADA128, it will be my first experience with Dante hope it will be good
Dude, get yourself a Grimm clock. Specially for the Aurora. You won’t believe your ears.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #227
Gear Addict
 
🎧 15 years
@ RoundBadge or anyone else using Grimm with Avid HD I/O. Do you find a significant improvement with the Grimm clocking the Avid? Also wondering how it impacts the Burls.

Thanks.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #228
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlocascio ➡️
@ RoundBadge or anyone else using Grimm with Avid HD I/O. Do you find a significant improvement with the Grimm clocking the Avid? Also wondering how it impacts the Burls.

Thanks.
I’m using the cc1 with avid I/O and mothership
I like what it does.
Opens things up spatially in a natural way
Cymbals sound smoother more refined.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #229
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by raal ➡️
Dude, get yourself a Grimm clock. Specially for the Aurora. You won’t believe your ears.
Thanks @ raal ! I will sell my aurora as I'm going with only the new ada128 but anyone has presumption about how the clock will compare on the ADA128 versus a Grimm ?
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #230
Gear Maniac
 
Todd Loomis's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by qslprod ➡️
Quote:
Originally Posted by raal ➡️
Dude, get yourself a Grimm clock. Specially for the Aurora. You won’t believe your ears.
Thanks @ raal ! I will sell my aurora as I'm going with only the new ada128 but anyone has presumption about how the clock will compare on the ADA128 versus a Grimm ?
Are the I/O cards available yet for the ADA128? Or did you just order the chassis? I haven't seen any info on the converter cards yet...
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #231
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Loomis ➡️
Are the I/O cards available yet for the ADA128? Or did you just order the chassis? I haven't seen any info on the converter cards yet...
nothing yet available. I'm on the first batch I think with a Dante card, should be ship at Q2 so between now end of June (I hope)
Old 16 hours ago | Show parent
  #232
Lives for gear
 
YOHAMI's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge ➡️
Sativr in 2-3 weeks
How do you like it?
Old 16 hours ago | Show parent
  #233
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOHAMI ➡️
How do you like it?
Just got it
So far the Dangerous AD+ is holding up well.
The Sativr is ace.obviously more testing needed.

Last edited by RoundBadge; 11 hours ago at 02:56 AM..
Old 11 hours ago | Show parent
  #234
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Ok so..after a few hours on different material the Sativr sounds really fluid,expensive,refined and musical.its not the clean transparent AD like the MBC.
the Dangerous AD+ is a little edgier more static slightly less 3-d.and perhaps a tad brighter which can be little deceiving when your flipping back in forth.I could see how on rock material the Ad+ initially sounds a little more exciting BUT its a little less musical and the sound stage not quite as dimensional.
doesnt sound bad at all but the Lavry literally gives the music movement.its a trip.
IME the MBC is the transparent straight player.
clean and honest with the color and limit options which although cool,I didn't find especially useful for what I do.
but oh my my,the Lavry..

Last edited by RoundBadge; 7 hours ago at 07:26 AM..
Old 10 hours ago | Show parent
  #235
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge ➡️
Ok so..after a few hours on different material the tt sounds really fluid,expensive,refined and musical.its not the clean transparent AD like the MBC.
the Dangerous AD+ is a little edgier more static.doesnt sound bad at all but the Lavry literally gives the music movement.its a trip.
IME the MBC is kinda the ultimate transparent straight player.
clean and honest with the color and limit options which although cool,I didn't find especially useful for what I do.
but oh my my,the Lavry..
Was afraid you'd say that. So, any improvement with the CC1 or sounds best alone? The thing costs like $8k right?
Old 7 hours ago | Show parent
  #236
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by raal ➡️
Was afraid you'd say that. So, any improvement with the CC1 or sounds best alone? The thing costs like $8k right?
I'm still listening to the internal vs external Grimm.they're slightly different but the internal sounds outstanding.
I'm going to try to clock the other stuff w the Sativr.it doesn't have full bnc distro like the CC1.just single output.daisy chain I guess.
yes 8K
ugh
help
Old 7 hours ago | Show parent
  #237
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by raal ➡️
Was afraid you'd say that. So, any improvement with the CC1 or sounds best alone? The thing costs like $8k right?
honestly the AD+ and MBC ain't no slouches
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 13 views: 3522
Avatar for Musiclab
Musiclab 9th March 2015
replies: 107 views: 34366
Avatar for pibroch
pibroch 3rd July 2017
replies: 240 views: 29420
Avatar for spektor
spektor 30th November 2018
replies: 390 views: 39322
Avatar for Vinnie-1
Vinnie-1 17 hours ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump