Steven Slate VSX Headphone: Mix in Pro Studios, Mastering Rooms, Cars, Clubs, Boomboxes, & More - Page 101 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Steven Slate VSX Headphone: Mix in Pro Studios, Mastering Rooms, Cars, Clubs, Boomboxes, & More
Old 16th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDrugLord ➡️
there was a brief discussion of the great Serban Ghenea‘s result in TBC and if you match the proper profile with the music style, you’ll get the best results.

I highly advise using TBC as the insert before VSX and if your TBC results are in the pocket, the VSX rooms performances will reflect it as well... and the rest of the world’s playback devices as well. Thanks.
Care to elaborate on the bit about Serban? It may be off-topic, but I'm sure many of us will find it useful if he used it in a particular way!
Old 16th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The 2021 VSX room build is setup and ready to install expecting parts.. I could start mixing here now with other pieces I have but no.. this is all inspired as what the 2021 new rig build looks like.. picked up a M1 Mac mini to dedicate to this because the Geekbench numbers are just too insane...

VSX is going to be my mix monitors here and the Kii are my room mains..

Will test of course with the M1 Air that should be in a few weeks before the mini ship.

What a time in tech history to be a Gearslut!
Attached Thumbnails
Steven Slate VSX Headphone: Mix in Pro Studios, Mastering Rooms, Cars, Clubs, Boomboxes, & More-0b7f38fa-0224-4c04-a487-9776111d4fdc.jpg   Steven Slate VSX Headphone: Mix in Pro Studios, Mastering Rooms, Cars, Clubs, Boomboxes, & More-4ae7dddb-61bc-4dd2-a456-e6ab1ab1e53e.jpg  
Old 16th November 2020
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Steve, thanks for the great release. It came out right as I was looking for new headphones to use with Wave ARS3. The system approach of hardware and software designed to work together makes so much more sense to me.

Just thinking out loud here, but is there any chance we could get a room with Focals, ADAMs, or Genelecs in it? In all seriousness, they don't even have to be free updates (shock, gasp, the horror!). Add on room packs could be a thing. I would envision a great sounding space, but with the ability to throw a bunch of different near, mid, and far options. Or perhaps, some of the manufacturers would let you model their listening rooms. Let's say a Focal collection of their HiFi, studio, and car collections were available for purchase, I would likely buy it and still be saving to buy a pair of Focal Shape 65 or Twins.

Matt
Gear Maniac

Quote:
*note: I’m helping a buddy get setup with VSX and also set up a reference provision with SoundSource also hosting TBC 2 for ref listening from Tidal along with VSX real-time monitoring to a hybrid setup... there was a brief discussion of the great Serban Ghenea‘s result in TBC and if you match the proper profile with the music style, you’ll get the best results.

Here, matching the 24K Magic album to “Bass Heavy” shows the entire album in-pocket on TBC Broad performance... darn near perfect flat average on the whole album.

I highly advise using TBC as the insert before VSX and if your TBC results are in the pocket, the VSX rooms performances will reflect it as well... and the rest of the world’s playback devices as well. Thanks.
Thanks a bunch for this Druglord. I asked this question some time back about VSX and TB2 relationship but got no response as i use TB2 all the time. This confirms that VSX slips into my monitoring chain like it belongs there wich is exactly what i was hopeing for. Time to pull the trigger i suppose

Last edited by Funksta; 16th November 2020 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: spelling mistake
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funksta ➡️
Thanks a bunch for this Druglord. I asked this question some time back about VSX and TB2 relashonship but got no response as i use TB2 all the time. This confirms that VSX slips into my monitoring chain like it belongs there wich is exactly what i was hopeing for. Time to pull the trigger i suppose
Ok then perhaps it was your post I had on my mind to fulfill the next time I was able to run some of the Serban 24K Magic signal through TBC for direct measurement.

Though his and others hit seriously in-pocket, there's still audio arts that comes into play to get those tunes to sound like the "Serban signature" - Meaning, TBC is great with aiding in getting that in-pocket universal mix.. a very bland mix can still hit in-pocket.. so the fun part is finding ways to present some sound excitement with mix decisions that will still hit in-pocket (and not being afraid to break TBC reads here and there within a song or project).

When I first heard the 24K Magic album (my wife and daughter are H U G E fans of this record) I knew whoever did it wasn't playing around... and that they knew what the hell they were doing on the engineering/mastering tip...

VSX man.. I can't express it enough... TBC with VSX no one can go wrong every again... just trust them.. and be willing to break some rules here and there
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The 2021 VSX room build is setup and ready to install expecting parts.. I could start mixing here now with other pieces I have but no.. this is all inspired as what the 2021 new rig build looks like.. picked up a M1 Mac mini to dedicate to this because the Geekbench numbers are just too insane...

Will test of course with the M1 Air that should be in a few weeks before the mini ship.

Very nice setup DigitalDrugLord. Sorry for offtopic question. What projector are you using? I am thinking about similar solution. I checked a few models but they too noisy.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakamoto ➡️
Very nice setup DigitalDrugLord. Sorry for offtopic question. What projector are you using? I am thinking about similar solution. I checked a few models but they too noisy.
Thank you. This is the Sony VPL-VW885ES Laser - Other units that's more recent and really great are the 4K short throw units you'll find on Amazon and the LG 4K lasers. I like the Sony performance, really solid for all around use for music and TV & Film content.

The fan revs up a bit but I'll be in VSX and this won't be a factor since VSX is closed ear and quiet in general.

The fan of this unit for me doesn't disrupt the physical speaker review.

It's all working out to be a blessing of an install!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thank you. This is the Sony VPL-VW885ES Laser - Other units that's more recent and really great are the 4K short throw units you'll find on Amazon and the LG 4K lasers. I like the Sony performance, really solid for all around use for music and TV & Film content.

The fan revs up a bit but I'll be in VSX and this won't be a factor since VSX is closed ear and quiet in general.

The fan of this unit for me doesn't disrupt the physical speaker review.

It's all working out to be a blessing of an install!
Big thanks. Today it is better to use only laser projectors. Due to a longer period of use thanks to the laser. You're right, using these headphones shouldn't be a no problem. Thank you info..
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:

You need some reflection treatment on those walls dude!
Gear Maniac

I just ordered my VSX :D
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se ➡️
You need some reflection treatment on those walls dude!
Kii Threes... and there's no way you've heard reflection from yours... the most excellent engineering achievement in cardioid speaker performance.. there's no reflection on my system... Performs on par with the Trinnov without needing a Trinnov...

I think I asked you before, I know people who get Kiis and connect analog which I think circumvent the vodooo with going Kii Control and Ethernet KiiLink...

Old 16th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
TBC looks interesting.. But first I'm going to try my IK Multimedia Master Match, it's been a sleeper for far too long 😁👍
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx ➡️
Im using my HD800 with a Schiit Valhalla 2 tube amp, sounds amazing! Great combo!!!!!

If you can match this sound I'd be so beyond sold personally!
Interesting! Do you have an Apollo? That's what we're using now (since it's so popular) and they are so scooped! Same issue on the VRS8 which has a discrete headphone amp. I'm going to try a few more high end amps, but I am worried something might be off with our pair. The 650s measure way flatter and sound better to me. It's confusing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V4nger ➡️
I've found the most realistic sound to be found when I sit back from my desk so that my eyes are focused further afield on my computer monitor. That way the rooms seem to come alive in my mind and I have genuinely felt like I'm listening to some speakers in front of me. I feel like the psychological trick can be found by changing how I am sat, what I'm looking at and so on.

The clearest example for me is when I stand up and listen to the archon far fields. Then I really do feel like I'm standing in front of some full range speakers with bottomless sub bass filling the virtual room.

Most of the rest of the time it just feels like a more realistic sound.

And now I am appreciating the decision by Steven to always project the ideal volume of each set of speakers and simulations regardless of the gain of the input level going into VSX. Very clever and I don't think it needs a dynamic operation anymore. However, because of this ideal level operation, the headphones need to be at a certain output level to get that real sense of the room and speakers because the behaviour of each simulation is maintained at a particular real world level which needs to be more of less matched by the headphones to feel genuinely realistic. And this isn't always the best level for making decisions for the project. All the same, VSX is invaluable!

It is just so fascinating for me as an engineer who works completely digitally and has never set foot into proper mix rooms. To hear such detail and depth of sound. I can't really get over it, ha!
Awesome! So happy to hear this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMSweet ➡️
Steve, thanks for the great release. It came out right as I was looking for new headphones to use with Wave ARS3. The system approach of hardware and software designed to work together makes so much more sense to me.

Just thinking out loud here, but is there any chance we could get a room with Focals, ADAMs, or Genelecs in it? In all seriousness, they don't even have to be free updates (shock, gasp, the horror!). Add on room packs could be a thing. I would envision a great sounding space, but with the ability to throw a bunch of different near, mid, and far options. Or perhaps, some of the manufacturers would let you model their listening rooms. Let's say a Focal collection of their HiFi, studio, and car collections were available for purchase, I would likely buy it and still be saving to buy a pair of Focal Shape 65 or Twins.

Matt
My mixroom will be out shortly and has three new speakers that you guys are going to love. We did demo several speakers including some on your list and they were all great. But the Trinnov combined with the speakers we ended up using sound insanely good!!!

Steven
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish ➡️
TBC looks interesting.. But first I'm going to try my IK Multimedia Master Match, it's been a sleeper for far too long
As a long time user of Master Match I would say TBC2 is more useful while mixing/mastering.

IK dropped the ball with Master Match, IMO. It does provide some actionable information, but would be a more complete tool if the target curve and track curve were realtime like TBC2.

Maybe in the next update to TRacks IK can finish what they started and bring Master Match up to par with more realtime flexibity.

In the meantime, I'm finding SlickEQ M smartops feature more musical sounding when matching and TBC2 followed by Metric AB as the superior visual confirmation combo. With VSX being the truth detector of it all!
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Kii Threes... and there's no way you've heard reflection from yours... the most excellent engineering achievement in cardioid speaker performance.. there's no reflection on my system... Performs on par with the Trinnov without needing a Trinnov...

I think I asked you before, I know people who get Kiis and connect analog which I think circumvent the vodooo with going Kii Control and Ethernet KiiLink...
You get the same processing if you pipe them analog, the Kii's just perform an (incredibly transparent) AD conversion before feeding the DSP engine. Using AES is the optimal route of course, as the only conversion is the final DA.

BTW you don't need to dither the monitor output on your daw pre-Kii. Apparently they dither internally. Handy!

They're lessened (the active wave tech works from 50Hz to the low mids if I recall correctly) but you still get reflections. I went from a (poorly, hired the wrong guys) treated room to a fully GIK treated room (including the ceiling) and the difference was huge.

You have a spare bit of cash, get a GIK guy in! :¬) Yeah that's what I found, when looking at the Trinnov stats the Kii's were already insanely accurate with phase and whatnot. Amazing on monitors that don't have DSP though, I don't think people realise how good a Trinnov can make your system sound.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se ➡️
You get the same processing if you pipe them analog, the Kii's just perform an (incredibly transparent) AD conversion before feeding the DSP engine. Using AES is the optimal route of course, as the only conversion is the final DA.

BTW you don't need to dither the monitor output on your daw pre-Kii. Apparently they dither internally. Handy!

They're lessened (the active wave tech works from 50Hz to the low mids if I recall correctly) but you still get reflections. I went from a (poorly, hired the wrong guys) treated room to a fully GIK treated room (including the ceiling) and the difference was huge.

You have a spare bit of cash, get a GIK guy in! :¬) Yeah that's what I found, when looking at the Trinnov stats the Kii's were already insanely accurate with phase and whatnot. Amazing on monitors that don't have DSP though, I don't think people realise how good a Trinnov can make your system sound.
Your point here hits the nail on the head where VSX filled in that little gap void for me... The Kiis for me perform "close" enough to the Trinnov where I can go from Trinnov to Kii and it's a 1:1 check mark... the bit of room I'm getting on my Kiis I'm ok with because as you've explained, the Kiis get close to the Trinnov stats.. now think about it, what other speaker can we say get close to the Trinnov correction, directly from the speaker?

VSX is giving me 1:1 the mix capability I have with the Trinnov setup luxury.. now I can virtually take my Trinnov level monitoring over to this other creative space... I'm not mixing on the Kiis at all, I'm using them as my main loudspeakers for the space.. Plus it's what I use for critical audiophile listening all together.. But I don't like Kiis for mix decisions, I find them too deceitfully detailed for my most aggressive mix styles... Something that sounds only -4db lower on the Kii could easily sound -6db lower in the real world of less detailed systems.

VSX for me is making the Kiis useful as mixers... but VSX is my genesis monitoring with the Kiis being an overly privileged loudspeaker.
Old 17th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Ok then perhaps it was your post I had on my mind to fulfill the next time I was able to run some of the Serban 24K Magic signal through TBC for direct measurement.

Though his and others hit seriously in-pocket, there's still audio arts that comes into play to get those tunes to sound like the "Serban signature" - Meaning, TBC is great with aiding in getting that in-pocket universal mix.. a very bland mix can still hit in-pocket.. so the fun part is finding ways to present some sound excitement with mix decisions that will still hit in-pocket (and not being afraid to break TBC reads here and there within a song or project).

When I first heard the 24K Magic album (my wife and daughter are H U G E fans of this record) I knew whoever did it wasn't playing around... and that they knew what the hell they were doing on the engineering/mastering tip...

VSX man.. I can't express it enough... TBC with VSX no one can go wrong every again... just trust them.. and be willing to break some rules here and there
Pocket is exactly right. Ive referenced a lot of tracks via TB1 and TB2 thats why i was trying to find out if VSX lived in the same pocket as TB2 and it's target curves. The fact they do is really great to hear. I tend to do a dry static mix in pocket, then go to work from there with audio arts and aim for the pocket again. Rinse and repeat kind of aproach as TB2 can be a juggling act depending on the frequency content etc. As you say don't get to hung up on being exactly perfect on the target curves as you have room to play within your pocket of choice to add your own touches of magic.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromRVA ➡️
As a long time user of Master Match I would say TBC2 is more useful while mixing/mastering.

IK dropped the ball with Master Match, IMO. It does provide some actionable information, but would be a more complete tool if the target curve and track curve were realtime like TBC2.

Maybe in the next update to TRacks IK can finish what they started and bring Master Match up to par with more realtime flexibity.

In the meantime, I'm finding SlickEQ M smartops feature more musical sounding when matching and TBC2 followed by Metric AB as the superior visual confirmation combo. With VSX being the truth detector of it all!
Almost exactly what i use these days. SlickEQ M TBC2 and Metric AB are killer together. I use a few other things also but those three together are a no brainer.
Old 17th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
all this TBC talk, thought it was a bit pricey...

now I see both Ozone 9 advanced and Neutron 3 Advanced (crossgrade from elements or anything izotope) are now £128 each at plugin boutique - both of those include TBC2

or the 'mix and master' bundle also at £128 for ozone std and neutron std and TBC2

(or the 'tonal balance bundle' crossgrade at £171 for both advanced, and nectar and RX8 breath and melodyne essential)

Last edited by mutetourettes; 17th November 2020 at 02:34 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes ➡️
all this TBC talk, thought it was a bit pricey...

now I see Ozone 9 advanced (crossgrade from elements or anything izotope) is now £128 at plugin boutique
Isn't the visual check thing people are mostly using TBC for pretty much ripped off from MTF reference that's currently £36?
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 ➡️
Isn't the visual check thing people are mostly using TBC for pretty much ripped off from MTF reference that's currently £36?
I use both on on every mix - MTM Reference is my go to for Multiple ref tracks. I make a folder of new tracks to reference for each mix and the new Ref 2 manages all of that really well.

BUT - I find the MTM visual EQ reference line almost unusable...i don't know if its just me but I cant stand the way it moves around. I essentially ignore it.

My workflow - and this really works great - is BOTH - with MTM Reference BEFORE TBC

That way - I can load up the TBC reference 'Bass Heavy' - my go to for electronic music - and then, playing the reference track in MTM, it will show up on TBC, showing me where that reference would be against Bass Heavy (which isn't actually THAT bass heavy) .

Then, quickly switch to my own track and see where it falls against the same TBC profile.

The other option is to make a TBC curve from the entire folder of Ref tracks - which also works really well. I always do this too before a new project - takes literally one minute to copy and paste the tracks to a new folder and scan that folder into TBC - instant new curve to match to in TBC.
Old 17th November 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Been working with mine for a day. I'd say I'm an intermediate mix engineer, mostly working on my own stuff... I don't really get the binaural effect some people have described, I can sort of imagine it coming from speakers in front of me if I close my eyes but mostly it still sounds like it's coming from headphones. I think they've been useful in mkaing better EQ decisions, especially in the bass area (though I haven't checked on anything else to see how it translates), however the thing I'm really struggling with is how to mix ambience/depth through this system... I like to use a lot of short room reverbs in my mixes, and I can't help hearing VSX as another short ambient reverb plugin on top of my mix, I have to really concentrate to imagine that the sound is what I'd hear from monitors in a room, and not a part of the mix that I'd rather turn off. Has anyone else experienced this?
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Try to stay in one room. Don't switch. When I did it, I stopped perceiving the ambience completely. Hope it helps somehow.
Old 17th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
“Not supported” doesn’t mean “not working”...

VSX, in a 24 track loaded Pro Tools 2020.11 all working rock solid so far on a fully blown M1 MacBook Air...

All that I can say as I fly through installs is WOW...

Music people are going to love these Macs... this is easily outperforming on snappiness and workflow speed than my 16” MBP i9...

Apple has just cemented another 15 years of their computer market.
Attached Thumbnails
Steven Slate VSX Headphone: Mix in Pro Studios, Mastering Rooms, Cars, Clubs, Boomboxes, & More-4070698b-8cfa-4e87-b3d9-57a37bf9fdf5.jpg  
Old 18th November 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Yeah I've been trying to stay with the Archon midfields as I think they seem to be a favourite, and not switching too much. And listening to references... I'll keep trying but it's not the damascene conversion other people seem to having having for me so far. I don't know if it's been suggested here already but it would be really useful to have systemwide app (as with Sonarworks) for listening to other references, that might help get to learn the sound of it.
Old 18th November 2020
Gear Addict

Archon mids and nearfields are definitely the driest sounding mix set-up for me.

NRG is where I go to start new ideas in arrangements/tracks if i need a bit of new energy...but its pretty much always back to Archon mids for major mixing decisions.

Just to follow up from what I was saying above about VSX and TBC together - for me its the perfect combination - have attached a screen shot from tonights finished - VSX only from start to finish, hobbyist stylee - mix. As described above- this is shown with the 'Bass Heavy' TBC preset active.

D
Attached Thumbnails
Steven Slate VSX Headphone: Mix in Pro Studios, Mastering Rooms, Cars, Clubs, Boomboxes, & More-screenshot-2020-11-17-22.59.23.jpg  
Old 18th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Music people are going to love these Macs... this is easily outperforming on snappiness and workflow speed than my 16” MBP i9...

Apple has just cemented another 15 years of their computer market.
Just want to give you another shoutout for your terrific posts on this thread. You've had a material impact on my studio outfitting decisions. I was gonna avoid the 1st gen Apple silicon due to unknowns but your vouching for them convinced me to take the plunge. Gonna get me a Mini to start off then an Air later for portable. Much obliged, sir

Unfortunately they only support up to 16gb for now so will be a temporary machine until I can get something superpowered. If the Mac Pro is as good of a value as the other new M1 it will save Apple in my eyes. (I was about to switch to Windows and build my own Ryzen machine).
Old 18th November 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Just checked by listening to some binaural audio and I can definitely perceive the effect through these phones. Just not with the actual VSX rooms, still sounding like room reverb to me... Have read the advice elsewhere with people who've experienced the same thing so I'll keep trying.
Old 18th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyWork8a ➡️
Just want to give you another shoutout for your terrific posts on this thread. You've had a material impact on my studio outfitting decisions. I was gonna avoid the 1st gen Apple silicon due to unknowns but your vouching for them convinced me to take the plunge. Gonna get me a Mini to start off then an Air later for portable. Much obliged, sir

Unfortunately they only support up to 16gb for now so will be a temporary machine until I can get something superpowered. If the Mac Pro is as good of a value as the other new M1 it will save Apple in my eyes. (I was about to switch to Windows and build my own Ryzen machine).
Here you go my friend.. take a look for yourself... I posted this in the Pro Tools 2020.11 (new product) thread here in GS, but I am showing VSX running on video so I'm going to post it here as well. This is a "dirty" live I did for my pro audio friends on FB on my first stress test of the M1, I have no words: https://www.facebook.com/504959982/v...8072415354983/

*Note: Rogue Amoeba inserted a software level blocker in the SoundSource installer that won't allow install on M1 Macs.

**that video I did was from installing fresh out the box.. there’s a day1 Big Sur M1 update and I installed it.. before opening PT I was asked to install Rosetta again and I think the update was a Rosetta fix... take everything shown in the live video and match it now to this smoothness in the PT meters and numbers: https://digitaldruglord.s3.amazonaws.com/IMG_3607.MOV

***my moment shock had me saying “12GB” which is incorrect, it’s “16GB”, sorry for any confusion.

Last edited by DigitalDrugLord; 18th November 2020 at 10:13 AM..
Old 18th November 2020
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

🎧 10 years
Hey folks. New update went to beta. Extremely good feedback about the updates to NRG and the new Howie addition. Sorting out a few bugs and then we'll have it out shortly.

Steven
📝 Reply