Quantcast
Auburn Sounds releases Renegate, free full-band gate plug-in - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Auburn Sounds releases Renegate, free full-band gate plug-in
Old 12th August 2020
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Auburn Sounds releases Renegate, free full-band gate plug-in

Auburn Sounds has released RENEGATE, a full-band Gate plug-in that is particularly quick to operate.
Available as a VST / AU / AAX / LV2 plug-in for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Introduction Video

Features

RENEGATE has an always smooth, natural sound, and is aimed at simplifying gating.

But surface-level simplicity is only possible because it's complicated on the inside.

RENEGATE FREE is highly adaptive:
  • Program-dependent Auto-hysteresis captures the desired phenomenon.
  • Builtin Look-Ahead for always being aligned with transients.
  • Program-Dependent Auto-Release.
  • Expensive 43 bands psychoacoustic auditory model for human-like
    loudness detection.
  • Sample-accurate MIDI opening and can open manually with a click.

RENEGATE FULL also features:
  • Alternative ways to apply Gain Reduction: LP and HP.
  • Oversampling.
  • Built-in 16-steps Sequencer.
  • Raw vs Smooth knob to get back digital grit if needed.

Auburn Sounds hopes to make RENEGATE a workhorse plug-in for all your creative (or boring) gating needs.
  • RENEGATE FREE is a quick and easy freeware gate, that you can use with no time limit. Extended features are greyed out.
  • RENEGATE FULL is available at a definitive price of $29.

More details with less marketing:
πŸ‘‰ https://www.auburnsounds.com/blog/In...-Renegate.html

Download it on the plug-in homepage:
πŸ‘‰ https://www.auburnsounds.com/products/Renegate.html
Old 12th August 2020
Here for the gear

Great to see some new stuffs released by Auburn Sounds β€” and the trailer is really cool.
The sequencer looks particularly interesting, I think it could create some interesting creative opportunities !
Adrien
Old 12th August 2020
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Hello Adrien,

Indeed I first thought it would be too much, but the addition of a gate sequencer brings out more possibilities:

- You can change the number of steps clicking below the sequencer, and make polyrythms out of a percussion tracks. Some ternary can create variety.

- the Sequencer can be used instead of sidechaining or LFO to solve kick/bass interaction.

It turns out having two different possible volumes for things is quite useful across the board.

In my (non-musician) use Renegate often ended up after reverb or delay to clean up the mix and give a ryhtmic feel. For example, with "Retrig" you may have a gated reverb tail that start a sequence on each snare hit.
Old 12th August 2020
Lives for gear

I'm a gate junky. I admit it. It's weird, but it's true. I love gates.

This gate is fantastic. Just tried the demo, on the snare of a tune I'm producing featuring drums played by the mighty Kenny Aronoff (relevant because he's well-known to hit his backbeats hard. very, VERY hard), and it tracked his VERY wide dynamics (teeny ghost notes all the way up to his MASSIVE 2s and 4s) with ease. Way better than Pro-G, which has been my go-to for broadband gating for years. Immediately bought the full version, can't wait to dig into the filtered gating. Thanks, Auburn!
Old 12th August 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I'm impressed. It's a tool I thought I had covered but after demoing, no...........
Old 12th August 2020
Lives for gear

Another great offering from Auburn Sounds

*btw, you can control the free version with midi, though I had to turn it
on via exposed automation parameters. Regardless, I'm sure the full
version is well worth it, I will buy it today to go with the rest as I have
them all.

*Ok nvm, I missed the midi switch there...
Old 13th August 2020
Great movie Mr. Guillaume : )))
Old 13th August 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekbro ➑️
Another great offering from Auburn Sounds

*btw, you can control the free version with midi, though I had to turn it
on via exposed automation parameters. Regardless, I'm sure the full
version is well worth it, I will buy it today to go with the rest as I have
them all.

*Ok nvm, I missed the midi switch there...
That's strange, the Free Edition shouldn't need to mess with automation to enable MIDI.

When the "MIDI" text is blue, the Detector is controlled by the existence of an active MIDI note. When this mode is on, the input analysis doesn't matter.

You can't see MIDI notes directly, but you can see whether the Detector is open with the nearby diode (it is blue whenever the detector is open, be it by MIDI or not).

If you click on the diode to the left of the "MIDI" text, it will open the Detector manually. It's best to have small buffer size to have usable results for this manual opening.

Last edited by Auburn Sounds; 13th August 2020 at 05:24 PM..
Old 14th August 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
This is a great gate! Thanks for this; donΒ΄t know if i need the full version at the moment but will definitely buy it some day.
Old 14th August 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Just had a little play with renegate and I really like it! Thank's a lot for this! The sequencer is immediate fun, with the randomize Steps function! Also I really like the GUI! Feels just very intuitive!
Old 14th August 2020 | Show parent
Deleted 8f33f90
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto ➑️

This gate is fantastic. Just tried the demo, on the snare of a tune I'm producing featuring drums played by the mighty Kenny Aronoff (relevant because he's well-known to hit his backbeats hard. very, VERY hard), and it tracked his VERY wide dynamics (teeny ghost notes all the way up to his MASSIVE 2s and 4s) with ease. Way better than Pro-G, which has been my go-to for broadband gating for years. Immediately bought the full version, can't wait to dig into the filtered gating. Thanks, Auburn!
Not weird at all.i too am a self professed Gateslut.the way people collect compressors,i have my stable of gates
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 8f33f90 ➑️
Not weird at all.i too am a self professed Gateslut.the way people collect compressors,i have my stable of gates
Me too. Though TrackGate cured my addiction. Will definitely try Renegate, looks super promising.
Deleted 8f33f90
Quote:
Originally Posted by nil hartman ➑️
Me too. Though TrackGate cured my addiction. Will definitely try Renegate, looks super promising.
I use its big brother Expurgate quite a bit,but i find the triggering on Pro-G a lot better than either of those.i mostly use Expurgate for the upwards compression and to do splitband processing
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Absolutely LOVE the Manual Trigger
Old 16th August 2020
Lives for gear

How about a ratchet on the sequencer? That would be cool I think, maybe one that operates either statically, or when the button is held, a performance gate. That is something you don't see every day.
Old 16th August 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Is 29$ a intro price? How long is the intro price window/duration?
Old 16th August 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisame ➑️
Is 29$ a intro price? How long is the intro price window/duration?
That is the forever price.
Old 16th August 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto ➑️

Way better than Pro-G, which has been my go-to for broadband gating for years. Immediately bought the full version, can't wait to dig into the filtered gating. Thanks, Auburn!
Big words from a trusted source!

Will have to give this a try...

R.
Old 17th August 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
How about a ratchet on the sequencer? That would be cool I think, maybe one that operates either statically, or when the button is held, a performance gate. That is something you don't see every day.
I'll admit I don't know the concept and after watching a video about its operation I still don't understand what a sequencer ratchet is.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuillaumePiolat ➑️
I'll admit I don't know the concept and after watching a video about its operation I still don't understand what a sequencer ratchet is.
Do you know those fast repetitions (like 1/16, 1/32) in Trap hats?
Thats what a Ratchet sequencer does (it re-triggers the envelope in a pre-defined metric).

Eg
Step 1 = 1 note
Step 2 = 1 note
Step 3 = 4 repetitions same note in the same space of time of other steps (ratchet)
Step 4 = 1 note

Hope that helps
Lives for gear

Quote:

What casiotone has said,

Here is a handy definition from the net:

The process of sub-dividing the individual step divisions of a step sequencer
into even shorter events without changing the underlying clock speed.

Anyway, it was just a suggestion, ratchets are cool

*It's not just an arbitrary number of extra divisions either, the sequencer in the Pro 3
allows a maximum of 8 per step for instance.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Anyway, it was just a suggestion, ratchets are cool
Another vote for this
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by casiotone ➑️
Do you know those fast repetitions (like 1/16, 1/32) in Trap hats?
Thats what a Ratchet sequencer does (it re-triggers the envelope in a pre-defined metric).

Eg
Step 1 = 1 note
Step 2 = 1 note
Step 3 = 4 repetitions same note in the same space of time of other steps (ratchet)
Step 4 = 1 note

Hope that helps

You literally wrote out the exact number of steps Renegate is already capable of sequencing. What part of their sequencer is difficult for you to understand?
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by traumerei1838 ➑️
You literally wrote out the exact number of steps Renegate is already capable of sequencing. What part of their sequencer is difficult for you to understand?
I don't understand your comment/question.

I never said i didn't understand the sequencer or anything at all in relation to this plugin, i only explained what a Ratchet sequencer is.
Old 18th August 2020
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Hello,

Thanks for the explanation
Anyway realistically Renegate will probably not see a feature update for years(!). Making a plug-in takes a long time for us. By that time it will be a lot clearer which features are really missing and which ones are in excess. We also have a habit not to ever make any promise.
So: don't hold your breath.
Old 19th August 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Great idea.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks for the explanation
Anyway realistically Renegate will probably not see a feature update for years(!). Making a plug-in takes a long time for us. By that time it will be a lot clearer which features are really missing and which ones are in excess. We also have a habit not to ever make any promise.
So: don't hold your breath.
Hi G-completely understand about reworking the entire plugin but do you know if/when the Logic Midi Sidechain bug might be addressed?

thanks!
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by acmusic ➑️
do you know if/when the Logic Midi Sidechain bug might be addressed?
thanks!
Do you mean MIDI input is not working in Logic? Bugs get fixed in minor updates, we do some of them throughout the year.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Do you mean MIDI input is not working in Logic? Bugs get fixed in minor updates, we do some of them throughout the year.
Hi G-
Yes. You’d mentioned it sounded like a bug a few days ago when I reached out to Support. The Midi being triggered on Renegate stops working when the SC is from another Midi Instrument Track in Logic. It works fine when the Source is an Audio Track. It could be the fault of my rig but wondered if you were able to recreate it or if there any plans to troubleshoot.

LPX 10.3.3/OSX 10.11.6

Either way, still a great tool!
Old 19th August 2020
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Can't make any promise. Half the year is spent with a major update or new product, the other half fixing bugs and improving infrastructure, there is also the macOS compatibility stuff to work out every year.
However like in any software company bugs have to be triaged by impact for the users. Most bugs that affects many people end up fixed but even then you have to be patient. We certainly don't promise things on internet forums.
πŸ“ Reply