Introducing the Neve 8424 Console
Old 17th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

41 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andre tchmil ➡️
How can a fader sound "great " ?
If its quiet, reacts quickly and is smooth.
Old 30th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

41 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I went through all the AMS Neve tutorials on the 8424 and took notes. Here is a summary of the 4 videos. (here is one of them)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEixYMoG7Mc

8424 Console
Made in their British factory. 24 channel console has each fader numbered. It has 16 channels on left, 8 to the right. and 4 group faders in the middle. All channels are balanced +4db. It uses 80 series voltage mixing which is found on the 88R consoles. It is easy to use, and does not have a steep learning curve.
All 24 channels have 2 line inputs. Input B is the default for recording and you can control your levels with the red knob up front on each channel. Center section has two 1073 mic pres with input and output transformers. You are able to drive the mic pres with the rotary trim pot. Each channel has a phase button, impedance switch for low impedance mics which include ribbon mics. The two 1073 channels can be set to channels 17 and 18, and the two DI’s (which have connections in the front to 19 and 20) with no patching. the mixer has two 500 slots and you can add the AMS Neve EQ’s. If you want to use your own mic’s, just connect them to input B in the back of the console. There is a digitally controlled trim which shows up on the display on the bottom menu screen. There is a 8 stage led meter which displays the signal in PPM scale and it gives you 24 db of headroom.
There are three Aux sends and stereo cue send which you can use ot add any outboard gear. There are also inserts for the group channels. Every channel has a direct output that can be boosted up to 10 db. It can be pre or post fader. FNS option allows you to remotely controller the AMS Neve OPX 8 channel unit.
Listen back to the entire mix through room monitoring input, individual channels by pushing the input to input A, or ILN mode (In line mixing). You can route your DAW signal into the stereo cue which becomes the small fader and pan fader for the recording. You can monitor latency free. Cue can provide headphone mix. You can provide 2 separate mixes with Aux 2 and 3 with the separate headphone outputs. There is talkback mic on the console that does not need any patches or cabling. It also has the capability to be a return talkback. It can be used as an additional input as it has its own input control into the unit.
For mixing: each channel has a dual input channel capability. Input A is to route your DAW to the mixer. Switch globally to Mix A or go on a channel by channel basis for input A and have other channels that you are recording for Mix B for input recording. Each trim level and output level can be saved with the menu system for each channel on the console. When you do a recall, you can quickly get to the settings you had on each track for the song. There is also two stereo reverb returns. There are also inserts for the group channels. Each channel can be sent to any of the group channels or main output mix. There is a group to pan function. That allows the group to follow the pan control in creating stereo stems. When deactivated, pan pot will not affect the group routing which creates mono stems. You can mix up to 48 channels. Each channel has level and pan control with the stereo cues. You can have metering for channels 25-48 as well. Input C is used for this. Group 3 and 4 can be used as another stereo bus feature for those channels. Input A can be sent to the fader and Cue at the same time. This allows parallel mixing.
Master control section: two large VU meters for main mix, aux or mix bus signals. Reverb returns into the consoles. Each has level and balance controls. It has its own cue controls as well. They can be routed to the group as well and print reverb in the DAW. Pre or post aux, global console inputs. Solo in place, AFL and PFL.
AFL bus has marinair transformers. 2 band shelving EQ on the 4 group faders and stereo bus. 220 and 10kh. There is also a stereo width function that is the same that is on the AMS Neve Genesis consoles. It can go all the way to mono. Switchable inserts can be pre or post fader on group channels. You can use the 500 series insert on the 2 bus. You can assign the 500 series EQ to the mono groups as well. They can also be used as an insert in the 1073’s or DI inputs.
Control room monitor section, 3 external signals. You can play reference tracks from your smart phone into the main outs. Large monitor level knob, dim button, dim control level, mono and 3 loudspeaker outputs. Each has their own attenuator. Routing and switching options is on the LED screen. All the faders, pots, pan and trims, Aux where you manually reset. 99 settings. Both headphone inputs have their own volume control.
Old 2nd January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So far I’m very impressed with it. The first LFC I worked on was a VR and then G+, E, Townhouses B ... Aspects of the 8424 remind me of the 88rs/VR but the mix bus definitely has that transformer vibe. It’s very punchy, incredibly detailed stereo image (the pan feels like you can position in true 3D space) and lots of headroom. If you push into it hard it sort of has this incredibly musical compression that happens. As an SSL dude it took some getting used to that and I haven’t spent enough time yet to be comfortable but I really like what happens when driving hard. Bass is big and the two band shelving EQ on the mix bus really goes a long way (the bass frequency is fantastic on the boost). So far very very impressed.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJh8ArpH...=19faow978ezgx
Old 4th January 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

I'm in love 😩❤️
Old 4th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Shame it doesn't have 500 slots on the channels for maybe eq/saturation/compression. I'd definitely get one if it did.
Old 8th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G ➡️
Shame it doesn't have 500 slots on the channels for maybe eq/saturation/compression. I'd definitely get one if it did.
For saturation I just drive the input hard. It sounds great doing this.
Old 2nd February 2021
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
This thing is beautiful. I want to touch it, sniff it.......TMI
Old 2nd February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hmmm... i think adding the slots might defeat the purpose. The 500 series units would not have total recall/reset, and they would make the console bigger and more expensive to boot. Seems to me this is designed for people who already have a good amount of outboard, which may not all be in the 500 series format. e.g We have five tall racks full of outboard and only one 11 slot 500 series rack. I think they thought this thing out well and will end up selling a bunch. We have a Slate MTZ with an SSL Sigma as the "console". It works well but the thought of consolidating everything in one place (pres, monitor control etc.) with recall, DAW control and automation is mighty tempting. And the thing looks nice as well. I'm actually thinking about it.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by raal ➡️
Hmmm... (...) the thought of consolidating everything in one place (pres, monitor control etc.) with recall is mighty tempting. And the thing looks nice as well. I'm actually thinking about it.
that's the whole point of using a desk!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hmmm... i think adding the slots might defeat the purpose. The 500 series units would not have total recall/reset, and they would make the console bigger and more expensive to boot. Seems to me this is designed for people who already have a good amount of outboard, which may not all be in the 500 series format. e.g We have five tall racks full of outboard gear and only one 11 slot 500 series rack. I think they thought this thing out well and will end up selling a bunch. We have a Slate MTZ with an SSL Sigma as the "console". It works well but the thought of consolidating everything in one place (pres, monitor control etc.) with recall, DAW control and automation is mighty tempting. And the thing looks nice as well. I'm actually thinking about it.
Yes of course everyone expects total recall these days.

A 500 desk with Neve summing would be great though.
Maybe they could extend the concept and make a bigger version to compete with SSL and API.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:

Maybe they could extend the concept and make a bigger version to compete with SSL and API.
I think their Genesys series might cover the 'fuller desk' niche for them.

The SSL Matrix is kind of the same idea as the 8424 but fewer channels, only two monitors, less faders for DAW control etc. It does have the built in patchbay but, if it's between the patch and more faders/monitor control i'd take the second. And the Matrix looks kinda cheezy (to me). I think AMS might have gotten this one right.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I think their Genesys series might cover the 'fuller desk' niche for them.

The SSL Matrix is kind of the same idea as the 8424 but fewer channels, only two monitors, less faders for DAW control etc. and it looks kinda cheezy (to me). I think AMS might have gotten this one right.
Yeah I wasn't referring to either of those desks. The Neve looks like a cute little centrepiece though.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yeah I wasn't referring to either of those desks. The Neve looks like a cute little centrepiece though.
Yes, the only gripe i have with it is the mono groups. Seriously? Other than that i see the 8424 as a very clever product. The only thing that might come close is the SSL XL Desk if it had DAW control, automation and recall. As is though, nope.

Last edited by raal; 12th March 2021 at 05:10 AM..
Old 3rd February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

Just get some 500 series racks on the side and even better get the wes audio system with their units for full recall and you dont have to reach to the side to adjust them! Full recall everywhere.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL ➡️
Just get some 500 series racks on the side and even better get the wes audio system with their units for full recall and you dont have to reach to the side to adjust them! Full recall everywhere.
I was an early adopter of the Wes gear for my automation and I currently have a 500 series desk and about 80 modules in total, you could say I was heavily invested. Thanks for the advice though.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I was an early adopter of the Wes gear for my automation and I currently have a 500 series desk and about 80 modules in total, you could say I was heavily invested. Thanks for the advice though.
Yes now that is heavily invested!
Old 5th February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

People Using 8424

Well, the user reports are starting to be published, and as I suspected, are very much the successful one-room producer types. Both mix music, but neither are mix or tracking engineers as a job title.

Here's two:

https://www.prosoundweb.com/neve-842...iths-workflow/

https://www.prosoundweb.com/producer...-in-neve-8424/
Old 14th February 2021
Gear Maniac

I'd love to see some updated videos on the workflow with the 8424 + DAW control + rack gear, any links? Youtube isn't showing much on a search, the only videos seem to be before the motorized fader update went live, which is obv a huge appeal of such a console.

Or any thoughts from users? Seems like it could be really good, for people that don't need loads of preamps etc.

I'm currently looking at the SSL Matrix 2 vs this, obviously there's a huge difference in price and while there's pretty different feature sets, they both seem to trying to solve the same problem for their market they both have different approaches.

The higher fader count on the Neve is big win for me, but then the reroutable patching ability of the Matrix is seriously cool.

Would love to hear from more Neve 8424 users!
Old 15th February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sombrero ➡️
I'd love to see some updated videos on the workflow with the 8424 + DAW control + rack gear, any links? Youtube isn't showing much on a search, the only videos seem to be before the motorized fader update went live, which is obv a huge appeal of such a console.

Or any thoughts from users? Seems like it could be really good, for people that don't need loads of preamps etc.

I'm currently looking at the SSL Matrix 2 vs this, obviously there's a huge difference in price and while there's pretty different feature sets, they both seem to trying to solve the same problem for their market they both have different approaches.

The higher fader count on the Neve is big win for me, but then the reroutable patching ability of the Matrix is seriously cool.

Would love to hear from more Neve 8424 users!
I would def go for this over the SSL Matrix and I am a SIGMA user. This has more options and you could also get a flock audio patchbay for the automation on that for recall.
Old 15th February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:

We currently have a Sigma which is more than cool and Slate MTZ, but from what i've seen the 8424 will be on a different level as a DAW/outboard integral solution, when automation/DAW control gets released. Trying to ignore it.

Quote:
Seems like it could be really good, for people that don't need loads of preamps etc.
Have a bunch of pres which makes the thing even more attractive.

Last edited by raal; 30th March 2021 at 10:23 AM..
Old 14th March 2021
Gear Maniac

Thanks for your thoughts! I’ll have to go and check it out when I can, it still seems there’s no videos showing the DAW integration yet.

AMS Neve if you’re reading this please make a video demonstrating the hybrid workflow
Old 2nd May 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Posted in the other thread but adding it here too:

So here's a bit more about my experience with the desk. A bit about my background: I grew up working in the studio world working as a sound designer and producer, then later mixer. I started my career working at Asphodel/RML which had a very large Neve VR with the Musgrave mods. I worked with people like M.I.A., Blixa Bargeld, Richard Devine, and many others in various capacities. After that, I worked out of Assault and Battery in London in the SSL room (Alpha Centauri). That was a big G series SSL. Following that I had my own studio with a studio partner where we did most of the first two INHALT records and that studio was based around a DNR Orion console. After that I moved most of my projects to Different Fur studios and worked out of the A room on an SSL E series console (Peter Baumann's "Machines of Desire" ...). Finally, all of this led me to my studio here in Los Angeles (Infinite Power Studios).

I work full time as a producer, mixer, artist (INHALT, Aphonia) and sound designer (Sequential, Akai, Roland, Novation ...). Most of the records I take on to produce I also mix. These tend to be projects for independent labels like Dais Records, Dark Entries Records, Cleopatra Records ... The other main part of my job is sound design for various synth companies. That part requires a critical listening facilities for products that are often still in development so it's an equal part needing great and clean monitoring as it is also recording for the purpose of reporting/documenting.

When designing my studio I really wanted a console to be the absolute centerpiece of everything that I do. I needed a desk that could effortlessly be the workhorse for any task that's part of my day to day work life. And also, it needed to be within the tradition and culture of what I am both used to working in and something I like (professional not home studios, large format consoles and large format workflows). My ears and workflow are tuned to a console and I'm used to working on the best of the best. So when the 8424 came out it really made me curious. Ultimately I soon realized that this was basically the exact desk for all of my needs.

After having it in front of me on several sessions and for several months, I can definitely say that the 8424 is in the tradition of a large format console. It's wrong to look at it as a summing mixer because it isn't, it's a console. It sounds like a console, it works like a console, it feels like a console and all of the facilities you expect on a console are there. The amount of thought that went into capturing that user experience is immediately evident as soon as you sit in front of the desk. Everything is where you expect it to be and more importantly it feels like you expect it to feel. I have my 8424 fully broken out on a patchbay because that's the way I work and personally, I feel it's best to do this to be able to do all of the big studio standard practices. And when you do, again everything is how you expect it to be. The inserts are always sending like on an SSL (which is what I'm largely used to) so that makes it possible to use them as additional FX sends for individual tracks. The four groups have insert sends and returns so you can use them to feed more signal to the mix bus or to address more processing. The cue bus is essentially a copy of the mix bus so you have two transformer coupled mix buses so the vocalist is hearing all the vibe you're hearing in the control room. The groups and cue bus also greatly decrease the time it takes to print stems because of their quality and integration (assign drums to the cue bus post fader, max the send, copy the panning to the little fader pan knob and print it while your print everything else with the groups and main mix bus). In short, there are so many different things that can be done with the routing and the ‘features’ of the console that anyone used to working on a larger console will feel right at home. The designers really need to be commended on this end as it’s the first time I’ve ever encountered something within the paradigm of “compact” achieve the functionality and attitude of “maximal”.

Workflow aside, ultimately the most critical aspect to me was the sound. And here is where I was most surprised. There is no doubt that every ounce of this desk is genuine Neve sound, however its a “new” Neve sound. And by new I mean that this desk punches much harder than any other Neve console I’ve encountered. It has this hybrid feel to it in that the line amps have the kind of cleanliness and precision that you would expect on a E or G SSL but the mixbus has that classic transformer 80-series sound that rounds out with natural compression the more signal that you push into it. Push harder into the mix bus and it naturally compresses in a way that only a large format console can. Back it off and you’re getting a vibey mix with the precision of “today”. It’s never sterile, it’s never boring, it’s always there as this charismatic entity worthy of the name and number printed on it. What impressed me the most was how the desk voices kicks and bass. I largely work in electronic music and this is a critical area for me, and the console has a very musical way of voicing this frequency spectrum. It’s pretty unreal how the kicks and bass are placed in the mix and it honestly takes work to muddy them up. I’m not saying the console mixes it for you, but I am saying that it’s much easier to do the work in this area because of it’s favorable voicing in a full mix. Snares punch super hard ( we had to work a lot to get that to happen on the VR), vocals come through with all the intelligence and brightness you expect from SSL but with a musical midrange I don’t hear on the E or G. Guitars tend to sound like “classic” Neve. I really fell for the sound hard. Furthermore, the main mix has an absolutely killer two band EQ and stereo width control. A friend who has a lot of experience mixing on Neves and SSL’s listened to the console on one session with me and we both concluded that the two band EQ has the capacity to make something sound “done” on a good mix. It’s very musical and tuned very well so that if your client wants the mix brighter, it’s one knob and it doesn’t sound like some kind of “post-processing”. I used the stereo width control on very full mixes to add just a touch of 3D-ness and space without adding any crazy phasing issues. In short, that section alone is something that I now cannot work without.

The monitoring is also exceptional. I really love how even the console sounds at any monitoring volume. Often times on much cheaper monitoring products if you start taking the volume way down, the playback starts to sound like its collapsing or sounding “smaller”. That doesn’t happen here ever. You can crank it or you can bring it way down and the mix sounds like the mix you expect it to.

The two 1073 preamps are also worthy of high praise. I love vintage 1073s and 1089s but you can’t use them on everything. That’s not the case here. Basically the preamps sound like a more modern take on a 1073 that have that same charisma and tone without the hinderance of darkness and cloudiness when tracking many instruments with them. If I want the bang on vintage 1073 vibe I have a BAE 1073 for that but I can’t multitrack with it. Here, I get the same vibe with a lot more clarity that it makes it possible to stack many, many tracks. And honestly, that’s exactly what I want out of a desk pre amp.

I think the initial shock that people felt when the desk was announced was largely due to the fact that no one HEARD the console. After one mix, I was in love. Again, the sound is genuine Neve with a modern edge.

I couldn’t be happier with the console and when I factor in the cost it makes total sense. Yes you can go and buy a vintage SSL or VR for similar money but … cost of maintenance, operational cost (I have a synclavier in my studio I know what power bills look like when you’re pulling real juice), things breaking down, things breaking down, having to stop because things breaking down, having to give free time because things breaking down, having to delay sessions you really need to get done because things breaking down … one of the smartest decisions I made was to bypass this. I could have bought a pristine SSL 4000E for how much I spent on the 8424 but for me, the 8424 came out on top. You’re getting the sound (to the letter) of a large format console with the workflow of a large format console in a more compact package, with full digital recall, and without any of the disadvantages of owning a vintage desk. This might not be for you, but for me I’m really happy I gave it a chance because it more than delivered. I’m happy to answer any questions on the desk and you can send me a DM on either of my instagram accounts:

http://www.instagram.com/inhalt.us
http://www.instagram.com/infinitepowerstudios
Attached Thumbnails
Introducing the Neve 8424 Console-9ed27534-2b7c-45c0-a3d3-1fb4940d967c.jpg  
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Wow, that is a pretty amazing review, where was this originally posted?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL ➡️
Wow, that is a pretty amazing review, where was this originally posted?
In the other 8424 thread
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by matia ➡️
Posted in the other thread but adding it here too:

So here's a bit more about my experience with the desk. ... <snip>... You’re getting the sound (to the letter) of a large format console with the workflow of a large format console in a more compact package, with full digital recall, and without any of the disadvantages of owning a vintage desk. This might not be for you, but for me I’m really happy I gave it a chance because it more than delivered. I’m happy to answer any questions on the desk and you can send me a DM on either of my instagram accounts:

http://www.instagram.com/inhalt.us
http://www.instagram.com/infinitepowerstudios
Thank you for taking the time to post this @ matia . More than helpful.

Last edited by raal; 3 weeks ago at 04:36 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to post this @ matia . More than helpful.
My pleasure. I love this desk and more folks should check it out.
📝 Reply