The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Control your software plugins like hardware with this controller
Old 30th April 2020
Control your software plugins like hardware with this controller

mpmidi.com

We have midi controllers and midi controllers! however with a typical midi controller you are limited in the number of parameters you can control and then you need to mark them on the actual controller with tape or an overlay, or some have small led screen to show the parameter's name. It’s just not practical.

Mapping in a DAW is not flexible enough to allow controlling software like hardware. Transfer of control is also impractical.
MP Midi is a combination of a hardware controller and software that runs in your DAW as a plugin and enables controlling each plugin as a hardware unit.

Just clicking on the plugin loaded in the DAW and opens up in the MP MIDI controller's screen. MIDI control is transferred and working ONLY on what you see on the controller's screen.

Runs in all the major DAWs as VST3 AU AAX Plugin

Beta users have been using the prototype for the past 3 months and it has radically changed their workflow.

Here is a preview video

check out mpmidi.com

If you like this please share this post

Michael
Old 30th April 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Dayuum!
Old 30th April 2020
TGP
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
How much? When available?
Old 30th April 2020
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixalis ➡️
mpmidi.com

We have midi controllers and midi controllers! however with a typical midi controller you are limited in the number of parameters you can control and then you need to mark them on the actual controller with tape or an overlay, or some have small led screen to show the parameter's name. It’s just not practical.

Mapping in a DAW is not flexible enough to allow controlling software like hardware. Transfer of control is also impractical.
MP Midi is a combination of a hardware controller and software that runs in your DAW as a plugin and enables controlling each plugin as a hardware unit.

Just clicking on the plugin loaded in the DAW and opens up in the MP MIDI controller's screen. MIDI control is transferred and working ONLY on what you see on the controller's screen.

Runs in all the major DAWs as VST3 AU AAX Plugin

Beta users have been using the prototype for the past 3 months and it has radically changed their workflow.

Here is a preview video

check out mpmidi.com

If you like this please share this post

Michael

Do we need a wrapper for an automap kind stuff ? can we customise names and ranges ect ?

Congrats , def interested !!

Last edited by Jeezo; 30th April 2020 at 11:03 PM..
Old 30th April 2020
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
looks like the one i was waiting for!

how much is it, please?
Old 30th April 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Ahhh. Always been intrigued by the concept “punch holes in an led screen and put pots there”! And you’ve really taken that idea a long way. Impressive
Old 30th April 2020
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
This is very interesting!

Is it like Automap where you have to wrap each plugin in a shell?
Old 30th April 2020
Hi all,
thank you for the messages.
I will try to answer in this reply to some questions.
There is also an FAQ section on the website

Do we need a wrapper for an automap kind stuff ?

No, it doesn't wrap the VST3/AU plugins like Automap. You load the MPH (MP Plugin) in the DAW as a regular plugin and then load up your other plugins in there.
The MPH scans your VST3/AU upon first use and just detects your plugins so you can just load them up in the MPH via the MPH menu.
Now, in the MPH you can save that as a preset, which means you don't have to go and load up the 3rd party plugin every time.
The presets (xml files) can be used/recalled in other DAWs, so they are cross-DAW compatible.

In addition, you can also export a .component file which DAWs on the Mac can see it as a new plugin, so you can load it up straight up in the DAW.
In one of the videos you will see a bunch of plugins loaded in Logic named M-plugin. These are exported from the MPH so in my mixer in Logic I don't see the same name everywhere. And this is also possible with a little trick for VST3 in Cubase as well (so you don't see the same name of the plugin on your mixer).

The MPH It has been tested with hundreds of plugins from different vendors etc. Works like a charm in all major DAWs (tested in Logic, Cubase on Mac/PC, Ableton Mac/PC, ProTools Mac/PC) and it is very stable. There was a lot of CPU optimization done as well, having the MPH loaded up in the DAW consumes almost 0 CPU.

Can we customize names and ranges ect ?
Each hardware encoder on the controller has a "virtual encoder" placed under it as you can see. Each virtual encoder has the following parameters you can change from the plugin's interface (these are above every encoder):
- CC number (so you can assign the same CC on multiple encoders and make macros, like i am showing in some of the videos, ie on a compressor as i am increasing the input, the output is being decreased)
- Polarity (negative/positive)
- Magnitude (a multiplication factor that scales the values from 0.01 to 50, so you can make the encodres behave like a button)
- Range (the range from 0-127 for the encoder to respond).
You can make all sort of interesting macros, which all these are saved in the presets.

how much is it, please?
It is about to go into manufacturing, but due to COVID-19 situation, I decided to work with preorders, cut out any middle-men and unnecessary costs. The controller board, firmware was designed in-house and the same with the software part as well.
I will not announce the price here, but if you are really interested please send a message using the contact form on the mpmidi.com website.
I will be running a promotional period kind of thing to get this going.

This controller was made to make workflow fast and easy in the DAW, and as said, control each third party plugin like you would with hardware. This is done without having to work hard to get there. To create a complete mapping of a plugin is a matter of minutes (which of course needs to be done only once) and I am making templates for a lot of plugins with custom backgrounds.

Thanks for the support.
Old 30th April 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This looks super awesome! Really useful! How tall is this? In the video it looks like it's 6+ inches tall... kinda huge. I'll check out the site, maybe there's specs?

Had a look... the prototype looks significantly different from the finished product. If it turns out like the product depictions at the bottom this is going to be an amazing piece of hardware!
Old 30th April 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This is the missing link for truly engaging software. if it works effectively and reliably, it will be a no brainer purchase afaic,
Old 30th April 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaEtMusica ➡️
This looks super awesome! Really useful! How tall is this? In the video it looks like it's 6+ inches tall... kinda huge. I'll check out the site, maybe there's specs?

Had a look... the prototype looks significantly different from the finished product. If it turns out like the product depictions at the bottom this is going to be an amazing piece of hardware!

Good observation!
I made the box of the prototype too tall/thick. Well, it was handy when trying to make the prototype, cause i had room to work inside . But the finished PCB board of the controller is very small, 10cm x 10cm and 3cm height. And the IPS screen is very very thin, is almost like a laptop screen thin. Hence the product enclosure will be also thin.
The photos at the bottom of the website are the 3D renders of the product to be manufactured btw.
Thickness for this controller is VERY important. I wouldn't want a huge thing on my desk, then i would have to raise the monitors etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palermo ➡️
This is the missing link for truly engaging software. if it works effectively and reliably, it will be a no brainer purchase afaic,
That's how i see it!
The creative experience when working with knobs and hardware is different...and faster. It's like when you are mixing on a big console. Not the same experience when using the mouse.

It is super stable/reliable, has been tested for months across DAWs Mac/PC, and most importantly you can be up and running within minutes. It finds all plugins on the first run (it does not wrap them like Automap) so you can load them up from the plugin's menu. (and then save presets as well)
And will be creating templates for many popular plugins. You can send me a list of your favorite plugins and i will be creating templates with custom image backgrounds....although it is easy for anyone to create them.

I have plugins that are problematic in Logic and in the MPH run fine.
Old 30th April 2020
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
could it be expanded with some faders?
Old 30th April 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Yes some faders and the price please! Keep it reasonable ....
Old 30th April 2020
Gear Maniac

Im guessing around $1000 at least
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by VarikusBrainz ➡️
Im guessing around $1000 at least
i'm guessing that too but hoping for something like 500 with intro discount

EDIT: did i already mention that i absolutely LOVE the optical integration with the backgrounds and all that.
fantastic work, so inspiring, 100% the opposite to let's say a KORG Oasys screen, that rather gives me sea (or see) sickness
Old 30th April 2020
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
so you have to open plugins in some like komplete kontrol

Why not regular midi , and use DAW to map once for all like i did on my video on softube C1 , once mapped , it's fallowing plugin focus without the need to use a 3rd plugin ....
Old 30th April 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you can get the price right on this - I can't wait to have one.

Just what we needed... Incredible tool!
Old 30th April 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
This technology is patented by Studer i believe. It's called Vistonics...
Old 30th April 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Awesome
Old 1st May 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I'd imagine this would be a great tactile interface for guitar Amp sims as well. Could be a great "sidecar" screen for plugin operation. Watch out Slate!
Old 1st May 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Im picking one up as soon as it's released
Old 1st May 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Looks brilliant
Old 1st May 2020
Thanks for all the encouraging comments.

We have been using it on various DAWs for 3-4 months now and works as expected. No issues, we have tried it with many hundreds of plugins on many DAWs on Mac and PC.

The driving goal in this controller was to control plugins in the same manner that we would control hardware.

So, let's say we are using Sylenth1, and in a typical project, we have 30 instances of the plugin loaded, and on each track, we have let's say on average 5 plugins..our channel strip.
(In a big studio, this would be the equivalent of having a big mixing console and the hardware synths, so you reach out and tweak what you need)

One of the most important aspects of this controller is to map without any dependency on the DAW. Each DAW does mapping differently but none is able to map this way (also DAWs change/update and mappings may stop working). The plugin allows you to save mappings, values, the loaded plugin, page backround images as presets, and these presets can be opened in other DAWs. So, complete freedom from the DAW mappings. Needless to say total recall from a DAW project is also in place.

The other important aspect is to control instantly what you have open in front of you (in the controller's screen).
Click on a plugin in the DAW, and all parameters are there ready to be controlled. Just select and control, no more clicks or mappings or moves. This is very important (for me at least).

The layout of the controller is very important. Could have placed the encoders around and outside the controller's screen, or all 32 at the bottom of the screen, or don't use a screen at all. The placement of the encoders is practical, as it allows to map via the nearest distance to the controller parameter. For example, if the Cutoff filter is on the left upper side on a virtual synth, it makes sence to have the encoder near mapped onto that.

With the custom image backgrounds, you can "group" encoders in the same manner that are grouped on the controlled plugin.
If you look at a plugin's interface carefully you will see how the designer separated controls in different groups by using different colors or border lines. This makes it intuitive and easy to the eye. And the same concept can be replicated using this controller.

If you are interested in getting one please send a message using the form on the mpmidi.com
Old 1st May 2020
Deleted 9949851
Beautiful! Like a dream come true. I hope.
Old 1st May 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixalis ➡️
Do we need a wrapper for an automap kind stuff ?

No, it doesn't wrap the VST3/AU plugins like Automap. You load the MPH (MP Plugin) in the DAW as a regular plugin and then load up your other plugins in there.
The MPH scans your VST3/AU upon first use and just detects your plugins so you can just load them up in the MPH via the MPH menu.
Now, in the MPH you can save that as a preset, which means you don't have to go and load up the 3rd party plugin every time.
The presets (xml files) can be used/recalled in other DAWs, so they are cross-DAW compatible.

In addition, you can also export a .component file which DAWs on the Mac can see it as a new plugin, so you can load it up straight up in the DAW.
In one of the videos you will see a bunch of plugins loaded in Logic named M-plugin. These are exported from the MPH so in my mixer in Logic I don't see the same name everywhere. And this is also possible with a little trick for VST3 in Cubase as well (so you don't see the same name of the plugin on your mixer).
A video showing this process could go a long way, I'm finding it difficult to visualize this particular aspect of the system. Can you clarify if the VST3 trick is cross-platform and not limited to Cubase? I am on Windows running a few different DAW's (not Cubase) and don't want the same plugin name all over my mixer (this is the biggest downside to Komplete Kontrol and its NKS implementation).

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I've been dreaming of this exact product for what seems like ages. Wishing you a smooth product launch, I know this is difficult to pull off.

Last edited by nonstatic; 1st May 2020 at 05:51 PM..
Old 1st May 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Interesting, but we need a price tag !
Old 1st May 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Shut up and take my stimulus check
Old 1st May 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
You should also include some template to let the user modify and save it connecting to hardware synths like the Korg Wavestate etc.
Old 1st May 2020
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
still a bit confused regarding Protools and AAX.

So, you can open the host in Protools but you can only load VST and AU in it? Does it act as a wrapper and will it load all VST and AU plugs?
📝 Reply