The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PTF Reverbs Releases STUDER A80 ANALOG TAPE RECORDER IR'S
Old 2nd May 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturatio ➑️
You put the IR into a sampler??? Can you elaborate? That sounds really cool! I'd love to try that.
An IR is just a WAV file, drag it into a sampler and move the start position so it cuts off the start of the repsonse as that is where all the super low freq. stuff is.You can get some weird grungy lo-fi sounds, depending on the source. Tape IR's tend to be interesting.
Listen to this song, there is some finger snaps/clicks that stretch out left and right with a noisy tail. You get that type of sound -(1min:15sec in)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmQ6t8evUCU
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Even though we are just talking about a captured EQ curve here, it's interesting that to get closest to the sound of the actual tape machine, you have to set the blend around 17 %.

Put it at 100 % and it turns into some kind of extreme hyper version of what it's supposed to be.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goto10 ➑️
Yes you are correct, it is non-dynamic. Acustica Audio plugins address this issue and they have their own technology that allows them to use impulses for compression etc. These IR's are purely just to add a bit of saturation/colour /whatever. You can even throw the WAV file into a sampler like Kontakt and if you roll off the really low end you can get some nice crunchy lo-fi noise you can trigger and tuck in behind other sounds. Putting IR into samplers is my new thing now whenver i get a new IR.
Interesting
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Tummond ➑️
does anyone have any of their reverbs the you would recomend?
Id like to try some out but i dont want to spend the money demoing these.
You could try out introductory bundle which contains most of our reverb IR's as a small bundle (2ir's per reverb unit)
Old 3rd May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgear ➑️
Even though we are just talking about a captured EQ curve here, it's interesting that to get closest to the sound of the actual tape machine, you have to set the blend around 17 %.

Put it at 100 % and it turns into some kind of extreme hyper version of what it's supposed to be.
We are sampling our Telefunken M15 at the moment. This time you don't have to blend much to get the sound right. This Telefunken sounds amazing guys!
Old 3rd May 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
ATR 100?
Old 3rd May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut ➑️
ATR 100?
Sure, it is one of the best! It is on the list!
Old 5th May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Tummond ➑️
does anyone have any of their reverbs the you would recomend?
Id like to try some out but i dont want to spend the money demoing these.
AKG BX 15, 20, 22, 25, general rule the higher the number the bigger the sound.
BX 22 feels like a blend of the more hi-fi multi track compatible BX 15 and classic dense BX20, BX25 is maximum huge and gorgeous. Did a 10 song vox piano project - mono ribbon mic, pre, a bit of compression>tape>AD and the only ITB action on all of them PTF AKG BX25 - sounds like you're in a wooden cathedral...

(Compared BX20 with the one IK did and preferred this one for it's less polished up and tamed sound and character.)

To complement in the spring dept. Tubeworks RT-921 Stereo Tube 12 Spring Reverb, big and lush, Fender 1963 6G15 Tube Spring Reverb ruff n reddy in a mono mojo way.

And of course EMT 140 plate nothing to sneer at either...

Don't forget the chamber and church for some eternety surfing... about the first 8 and later some more REAL CHURCH IRs have the most unusual tails... like gliding straight down the aisle first but towards the end spinning up some spiral staircase with some overtone gregorian chanters having jumped on the surf board...

But since they're so inexpensive you'll want the King Tubby style and other funky contenders as well
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastToFuture ➑️
We are sampling our Telefunken M15 at the moment. This time you don't have to blend much to get the sound right. This Telefunken sounds amazing guys!
When i saw Studer 80 my first thought was - don't these guys also have a Tele M15 which is what i would be keen on - great news! Punch...Rock n roll!

Don't wanna say too much about the Studer as i only had a brief time to try it so far... yes you need to mix with dry or it sounds a lot more 'vintage' than the 80 i know and have recorded on - BUT the feel i got from what it does to the top end is already promising and IMO very few plugins get it even remotely right.
Sweetened but not dulled in a nutshell... in that regard Taupe was a very nice surprise to my ears... also Airwindows has many charms... and while i get that IK is impressive on the mids/bass when you tweak the bias, and big surprise brings more of the tape punch that seemed all but forgotten in plugin land, the top end left me pretty disillusioned, something brittle to my ears that i just could not get rid of and seems to pervade the 440 model throughout.

Fabulous that PTF is opening it's ferrite flood gates...

Last edited by cracker satchmo; 5th May 2020 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: typo
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAudioBot ➑️
Bought. Damn, this is FAT. Too fat to just add onto an existing element (on 2bus absolutely impossible unless you mix into it and reduce low end inside your convo plugin). Using it inside Live's Max4Live Convolution Pro and reducing low end by 5 or so dB to get a reasonable low end

But absolutely loving the tone! Thanks for this PTF!
It's so good to know it works nice inside Convolution in Live! Thanks for this. Somehow I missed this thread when this came out.
Old 6th May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracker satchmo ➑️
When i saw Studer 80 my first thought was - don't these guys also have a Tele M15 which is what i would be keen on - great news! Punch...Rock n roll!

Don't wanna say too much about the Studer as i only had a brief time to try it so far... yes you need to mix with dry or it sounds a lot more 'vintage' than the 80 i know and have recorded on - BUT the feel i got from what it does to the top end is already promising and IMO very few plugins get it even remotely right.
Sweetened but not dulled in a nutshell... in that regard Taupe was a very nice surprise to my ears... also Airwindows has many charms... and while i get that IK is impressive on the mids/bass when you tweak the bias, and big surprise brings more of the tape punch that seemed all but forgotten in plugin land, the top end left me pretty disillusioned, something brittle to my ears that i just could not get rid of and seems to pervade the 440 model throughout.

Fabulous that PTF is opening it's ferrite flood gates...
Thanks a lot! We have some more tape machines beside Tele 15 in our collection that we are working on

Cheers!
Old 7th May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
AKG BX 15, 20, 22, 25, general rule the higher the number the bigger the sound.
BX 22 feels like a blend of the more hi-fi multi track compatible BX 15 and classic dense BX20, BX25 is maximum huge and gorgeous. Did a 10 song vox piano project - mono ribbon mic, pre, a bit of compression>tape>AD and the only ITB action on all of them PTF AKG BX25 - sounds like you're in a wooden cathedral...

(Compared BX20 with the one IK did and preferred this one for it's less polished up and tamed sound and character.)

To complement in the spring dept. Tubeworks RT-921 Stereo Tube 12 Spring Reverb, big and lush, Fender 1963 6G15 Tube Spring Reverb ruff n reddy in a mono mojo way.

And of course EMT 140 plate nothing to sneer at either...

Don't forget the chamber and church for some eternety surfing... about the first 8 and later some more REAL CHURCH IRs have the most unusual tails... like gliding straight down the aisle first but towards the end spinning up some spiral staircase with some overtone gregorian chanters having jumped on the surf board...

But since they're so inexpensive you'll want the King Tubby style and other funky contenders as well
Great explanation! Exactly how we felt about the AKG BX series.
Old 13th May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Great explanation! Exactly how we felt about the AKG BX series.
Glad to hear i wasn't too far off with what i heard!
I hope it was obvious i like big springs and there are many more kinds of great PTF reverbs to discover.... Quantec, Fairchild etc...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thanks a lot! We have some more tape machines beside Tele 15 in our collection that we are working on

Cheers!
Don't say you have an M10 as well...?...! Come on give us some preview candy
Old 13th May 2020
Rea

🎧 15 years
Howe fo you use this IR? Inn which plugs?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rea ➑️
Howe fo you use this IR? Inn which plugs?
You can use the pulse cab from Lancaster which is for free
Old 14th May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Don't say you have an M10 as well...?...! Come on give us some preview candy
No but a friend of mine has one. It sounds
beyond believe. It is a tube tape recorder. We will copy that too.

btw,

we will release the Telefunken M15a this Friday.
Stay tuned.
Old 16th May 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Exactly, tube precursor to the M15... as we know from Telefunken preamps and limiters, both the last tube and first solid state devices sound awesome.
Tele M10 in the words of a usually more reserved audiophile buddy after an A80, M10 and Nagra T listening comparison: AN EXPLOSION FROM NOWHERE - - -
Old 16th May 2020
iZotope Trash 2 can load impulse responses! (in the convolve "tab")

As these are EQ curves, and Tape also saturates and compresses, Trash 2 also can do these 2 which is cool that everything can be handled in 1 plugin.
But, the question is: what compression settings are common to replicate the compression from tape machines? And would compression be before or after the eq curve?

is there anyone with such knowledge around here?
Old 16th May 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
According to Roger Mayer tape does instant attack-and-release comp... which may be one of the reasons it's so hard to emulate with algorhythms.
However these IR's sound like a whole lot more happening than EQ curves to me - so personally i'd use them for sound and not to soak up peaks or compress... too much compression all round IMO anyway
Old 16th May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
According to Roger Mayer tape does instant attack-and-release comp...
Which in other words is soft clipping.
Old 17th May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouroki ➑️
That's right.

Cheers
Old 18th May 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
According to Roger Mayer tape does instant attack-and-release comp... which may be one of the reasons it's so hard to emulate with algorhythms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouroki ➑️
However, soft clipping isn't that hard to emulate, is it?
Everybody's always talking about tape compression. And compression is different from clipping. Hmmm.

So then, to emulate tape behavior, is this the correct sequence?
step 1: soft clip
step 2: eq curve (or impulse response)
step 3: staturate
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikkers ➑️
However, soft clipping isn't that hard to emulate, is it?
Everybody's always talking about tape compression. And compression is different from clipping. Hmmm.
Tape is hard to model due to many other variables and complex interactions. People hear the controlled transients, reduced dynamic range and the overall density added and so that's what they mean by compression, and that's exactly what soft clipping does minus any pumping effects typical of "normal" compression.

Quote:
So then, to emulate tape behavior, is this the correct sequence?
step 1: soft clip
step 2: eq curve (or impulse response)
step 3: staturate
Basically the soft clipping needs to be in between some emphasis/de-emphasis EQ that boosts the highs in order to emulate the tape's sensitivity to high frequencies and the tape EQ standards such as IEC, NAB etc... (you see it's like the sidechain hpf in compressor plugins!) This is a great video by Dan Worrall explaining that concept: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-Gs-o39C5o

Step 3 isn't necessary since soft clipping is also saturation, but I suppose it could be useful to emulate the saturation of the circuitry itself.

What I would recommend for you to make it super easy is to check out Voxengo's CRTIV Tape Bus. It has all these stages properly emulated and it has an IR section in the end which you can turn off and use these IRs instead. That would work really really well actually

🎧 10 years
Quote:
You can use the pulse cab from Lancaster which is for free
Ive been using this with the m15 and the studer, but if i'm not mistaken, there is no way to blend between wet dry is there? Did i miss something?
Old 19th May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdig ➑️
Ive been using this with the m15 and the studer, but if i'm not mistaken, there is no way to blend between wet dry is there? Did i miss something?
You can blend in dry/wet with the Studer A80.
πŸ“ Reply