The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ex Machina Soundworks - New Monitor Company
Old 17th February 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ex Machina Soundworks - New Monitor Company

I'm curious about these boxes. The specs and price seem pretty amazing but how do they sound and how do they translate. I'm quite surprised there is no company presence already here on gearslutz.

https://exmachinasound.com/namm-2020-and-beyond/

https://exmachinasound.com
Old 17th February 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Looks cool! Can't wait to hear reviews

I like the names too. [pointless fact] Although in astronomical terms a quasar is way more energetic than a supernova, but they probably reversed it cuz supernova sounds cooler [/pointless fact]
Old 18th February 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I became super excited when you said the price seems pretty amazing, but as soon as I started reading the specs and watched that build, I knew I was looking at high-end prices...

And I was right. Way to get my hopes up OP! They look awesome, and the specs seem out of this world (no pun intended), but they're definitely not aimed at me lol.
Old 26th February 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenVile ➑️
I became super excited when you said the price seems pretty amazing, but as soon as I started reading the specs and watched that build, I knew I was looking at high-end prices...

And I was right. Way to get my hopes up OP! They look awesome, and the specs seem out of this world (no pun intended), but they're definitely not aimed at me lol.
Yeah, these are not cheap. Only moderately so in comparison to the competition and only when you look at 3 way monitors that have specs like these. Sorry if I got your hopes up.

It is also a very new company. I am always weary of new companies and their claims. I am curious, though.
Old 28th February 2020
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
ex machina = amazing

Hi guys ...

I had the opportunity of listening to Ex Machina monitors at their headquarters in Brooklyn and I can tell you that they are amazing.

As you have noted ... Specs are stellar, but sometimes specs and listening experience aren't totally related. It's not the case. At first glance, ex-Machina monitors look like your regular Joe,*but once you start to dig a little deeper you realize that they've managed to improve every little aspect of yesteryear designs and introduce some new technologies and clever implementation of known practices.

If you have the opportunity to test them you'll notice that ...*

The sweet spot is huge ... what I mean is ... if you are in front of the speakers, anywhere in your control room in front of the line of the speakers then you are in the sweet spot.*

The stereo image is amazing. It makes you feel you can touch the instruments and sound sources in the air.

They are punchy, fast, tight. The low end fills the room, but it's not overwhelming. I've listened to them in an almost untreated room and they behave like they are in a properly treated control room.

To give you some perspective of my background ... I'm a musician/producer/studio owner based in Buenos Aires, Argentina. In my control room I have a flush mounted pair of ATC 100 and Amphions over the console. My room is big and very well treated. And I have a Trinnov for the last details. I am very happy with my setup, but ... after listening to ex-machina monitors I started to think that maybe I need a change

My 2 cents
Old 25th June 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fescofet ➑️
Hi guys ...

I had the opportunity of listening to Ex Machina monitors at their headquarters in Brooklyn and I can tell you that they are amazing.

As you have noted ... Specs are stellar, but sometimes specs and listening experience aren't totally related. It's not the case. At first glance, ex-Machina monitors look like your regular Joe,*but once you start to dig a little deeper you realize that they've managed to improve every little aspect of yesteryear designs and introduce some new technologies and clever implementation of known practices.

If you have the opportunity to test them you'll notice that ...*

The sweet spot is huge ... what I mean is ... if you are in front of the speakers, anywhere in your control room in front of the line of the speakers then you are in the sweet spot.*

The stereo image is amazing. It makes you feel you can touch the instruments and sound sources in the air.

They are punchy, fast, tight. The low end fills the room, but it's not overwhelming. I've listened to them in an almost untreated room and they behave like they are in a properly treated control room.

To give you some perspective of my background ... I'm a musician/producer/studio owner based in Buenos Aires, Argentina. In my control room I have a flush mounted pair of ATC 100 and Amphions over the console. My room is big and very well treated. And I have a Trinnov for the last details. I am very happy with my setup, but ... after listening to ex-machina monitors I started to think that maybe I need a change

My 2 cents
Reading this makes me want to give them a shot. The other contender is the Dutch and Dutch. Have you heard those?
Old 5th August 2020
Gear Head

Any update on these monitors? I'm curious if anyone has heard them in person in a treated room beside some Barefoot's mm27 or Unity Audio Boulder MKiii...
Old 8th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaSC1 ➑️
Any update on these monitors? I'm curious if anyone has heard them in person in a treated room beside some Barefoot's mm27 or Unity Audio Boulder MKiii...
Got to try them next to Boulders. The Boulders are no contest for the Pulsars.
The Pulsars give you more clarity, more detail, more definition, less distortion and just as much energy when you crank them!

Im going to have another listen next time im in the states, whenever that will be.
Old 16th October 2020
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Anyone else mess around with the Ex Machinas yet?
Old 13th November 2020
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Had mine for around 3 weeks now and Love them <3

These speakers are so critical in the midrange yet so fun and exciting to listen to at the same time.

The low end is like nothing I've ever heard before, even when comparing to other well know brands that are twice it's size. It's not the bloated uncontrolled bass that I had grown accustomed to on ported speaker designs but Instead it's super punchy and directional. You can feel the low end coming at you. I've heard speakers before but this is the first time I've truly felt speakers. With the kind of music I do sub 30-60hz is super important but honestly I would never even think of adding a subwoofer to my current set up. I have more than enough low end for me and my neighbours Included lol

These speakers still do a fantastic job of revealing any masking in your midrange due the phase of the coaxial design. They really have some magic voodoo stuff going on in that DSP section.

It took me around 5 minutes to mentally decide I wanted to keep them, then after 10 minutes I verbalised my feelings to the dealer. After 20 minutes I was rearranging my finances cause I knew these were not going back.

The low end, even when listening at low levels still sounds full in all its glory and even when played loud everything stays within balance. Just as a test I was playing music at harmfully loud levels and the woofer was hardly moving so I'd also never have to worry about blowing the woofer haha.

Easily the best and most perfect speaker I have heard, it's sounds how I want a speaker to sound. It's feels like how I want and expect bass to feel.

The transients are immaculately detailed whiles never being fatiguing & don't even get me started on the stereo imaging and that centre image. Usually with all these details speakers can be too clinical to enjoy but with the pulsars I find myself loosing hours just listening to music again.
Old 13th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexeproducer ➑️
Had mine for around 3 weeks now and Love them <3

These speakers are so critical in the midrange yet so fun and exciting to listen to at the same time.

The low end is like nothing I've ever heard before, even when comparing to other well know brands that are twice it's size. It's not the bloated uncontrolled bass that I had grown accustomed to on ported speaker designs but Instead it's super punchy and directional. You can feel the low end coming at you. I've heard speakers before but this is the first time I've truly felt speakers. With the kind of music I do sub 30-60hz is super important but honestly I would never even think of adding a subwoofer to my current set up. I have more than enough low end for me and my neighbours Included lol

These speakers still do a fantastic job of revealing any masking in your midrange due the phase of the coaxial design. They really have some magic voodoo stuff going on in that DSP section.

It took me around 5 minutes to mentally decide I wanted to keep them, then after 10 minutes I verbalised my feelings to the dealer. After 20 minutes I was rearranging my finances cause I knew these were not going back.

The low end, even when listening at low levels still sounds full in all its glory and even when played loud everything stays within balance. Just as a test I was playing music at harmfully loud levels and the woofer was hardly moving so I'd also never have to worry about blowing the woofer haha.

Easily the best and most perfect speaker I have heard, it's sounds how I want a speaker to sound. It's feels like how I want and expect bass to feel.

The transients are immaculately detailed whiles never being fatiguing & don't even get me started on the stereo imaging and that centre image. Usually with all these details speakers can be too clinical to enjoy but with the pulsars I find myself loosing hours just listening to music again.
THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH for this review Alex. I'm in the market for new speakers and had my heart set on the Barefoot Footprints 01/02 depending on what worked in my room best. Its a 5m x 3.8m room but was put on to these bad boys but its so hard to find any user reviews online regarding the Ex Machina Pulsars so I'm feeling like I'm taking a huge risk on this purchase. What size is your room?
Old 13th November 2020
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Im in a room that is :

3.48 Width
4.56 length
2.37 height

But honestly due to them being sealed the waterfall decay time is much better than ported designs making them gel in the room little easier. I converted my living room into a studio, no raised floors or sound proofing but a ton of GIK acoustics. Sounds great, more importantly things translate
Old 13th November 2020
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Ive had speakers that measure super flat but still struggled to mix on them, you can learn a rooms freq response but learning the decay time is difficult, 60 hz rings out but 80 hz is dry type thing..... nightmare.

Having the sealed enclosure helps loads with that, I know they said their cabinet is made out of some special material "Sealed Valchromat cabinets" Im not sure exactly but simple fact is, it works.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
What kind of stands you guys recommend for the Ex Machina Quasars?
πŸ“ Reply