Quantcast
Solid State Logic launches SSL 2 and SSL 2+ Audio Interfaces - Page 36 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Solid State Logic launches SSL 2 and SSL 2+ Audio Interfaces
Old 12th June 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
wish i'd just gotten the 2+... i need the extra two outputs..
Old 16th June 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavingswei ➡️
Has anyone tried using the SSL 2+ with something like the Warm Audio WA76 for mixing? Can we use one of the SSL Outputs into the WA76 back into the SSL Input? Thanks!

Routing similiar to this video?
https://youtu.be/yhP0TZvqeQY
Just got the SSL 2+, in case anyone is still wondering, yes this routing (https://youtu.be/yhP0TZvqeQY) works. RCA 3/4 out into the WA76 out back into SSL 2+ input. Sounding clean so far despite the unbalance output.
Old 17th June 2021
Gear Nut

Apparently, per SSL, the unit requires a powered USB hub is you're going to use a cable that's longer than provided 3ft one.

6ft requires a powered USB hub if you don't want issues (I'm on my 2nd unit and still having issues because I use a 6ft cable).

Apparently USB cable loses all its power once it goes past 3ft.

That's what SSL support told me.
Old 20th June 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by acctx ➡️
Apparently, per SSL, the unit requires a powered USB hub is you're going to use a cable that's longer than provided 3ft one.

6ft requires a powered USB hub if you don't want issues (I'm on my 2nd unit and still having issues because I use a 6ft cable).

Apparently USB cable loses all its power once it goes past 3ft.

That's what SSL support told me.
Maximum 3 meters, 10 feet
https://solidstatelogic.zendesk.com/...s/360003461337
Old 20th June 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seakayak ➡️
This is the email support I got about my unit going mute time to time:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSL
The interface requires the full amount of bus power to function as intended, which a cable longer the one provided cannot adequately provide.

I would recommend using an externally powered USB hub to connect your interface to adequate power, then run the hub to your computer on the ground.
Old 20th June 2021
Gear Maniac

Do every one of them have the same AKM converter chip? Because there was a fire at the AKM factory, and some manufacturers had to switch.
Old 22nd June 2021
Here for the gear

Not sure if this is greatly relevant to the thread (I’m a sporadically-keen hobbyist), but on the subject of the dual headphone-outs in SSL 2+ etc, I’ve been running my Behringer Cubes (Behritones(?) from the sockets with great success. Easy to mix in with the mains, BX5s, or isolate both or individual cubes via the headphone vol pots. All good stuff. Thank you SSL.
Old 7th July 2021
Here for the gear
Output issue

Hi, guys!
I just bought a ssl 2+, and have a distorted sound when I used the balanced outputs to monitoring. I used it with my Yamaha Ns-10 / alesis ra-100.
I'm using unbalanced cables... could it causes this stranger distorted sound?

I try use the rca outputs and it sound good.

I read some people said about that... But it was not clear if is
a factory problem or just wrong cables.

Anybody could say something about it please?
Old 7th July 2021 | Show parent
Solid State Logic

🎧 10 years
Yes, it is the unbalanced cables. You need to use balanced ones from the balanced TRS connectors to your monitors.
Old 7th July 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➡️
Yes, it is the unbalanced cables. You need to use balanced ones from the balanced TRS connectors to your monitors.
hi, first of all I'm very happy with how my SSL 2 works, but I noticed a distortion on the main output that is not present on the headphone output. I am a bass player and that distortion is very noticeable also with a sine sound. What I also discovered is that if I connect to a mixer in TRS mode that slight distortion is not present. My problem is that my amp doesn't have a balanced input. Is there a solution to this problem? Thank you so much
Old 10th July 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

And is there an opportunity to process through an analog master buss with the SSL2 - for example you use the analog outs to an analog buss compressor, then returns to the inputs, then should probably either use phones to adjust the compressor or maybe connect the headphone out to monitors? You probably wouldn't want to split the signal out of the compressor as it will deteriorate anyway.

Next question - may any roundtrip latency problem show up in that scenario?

UPD: probably the biggest problem might be due to the lack of indented level knobs - you may easily end up with a level discrepancy between the L and the R channels, mayn't you?

Thanks.
Old 15th July 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearslum ➡️
And is there an opportunity to process through an analog master buss with the SSL2 - for example you use the analog outs to an analog buss compressor, then returns to the inputs, then should probably either use phones to adjust the compressor or maybe connect the headphone out to monitors? You probably wouldn't want to split the signal out of the compressor as it will deteriorate anyway.

Next question - may any roundtrip latency problem show up in that scenario?

Thanks.
Probably yes. That`s why it`s better to use the external FX plugin in your DAW if it has one. You can usually adjust the latency on it and the DAW will compensate.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➡️
Having followed your case with personal interest with the guys in the support team I would respectfully suggest that as the particular unit in question has not got back to the factory and into the hands of a test engineer it would be imprudent to suggest any definite cause of the issue at this point. While the list of possible options for this fault is fairly short until it is measured no single person can be sure.

So many people in this thread without issues and commenting as such. Let's keep some proportion here. While I recognise the inconvenience that faulty units cause we also should recognise how few of them have been reported as faulty. We have not received any evidence to support this being anything other than an isolated incident at this point in time. If that changes I'll hold my hands up about it as I have done in these forums before.

Anyone with issues can PM me with their incident number, although under the caveat that I don't do front-line support. Best left to our experts.
I thought I'd chime in; I also have the problem with outputs. SSL2 the original not plus. The fault was intermittent at first, but yes the bass goes if you attach both left and right mono cables. If you leave either the left or right, slightly one notch out, it works, but both totally in... the bass turns to water. I bought my unit from thomann.de and the fault appeared; at first the sound wouldn't work sometimes if you let the unit sitting and you'd have to replug the cable. Eventually a permanent fault developed with the sludgy bass. It's ok to use as is, i mean it still works, just one cable can't be in all the way.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Solid State Logic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thofoxolody ➡️
I thought I'd chime in; I also have the problem with outputs. SSL2 the original not plus. The fault was intermittent at first, but yes the bass goes if you attach both left and right mono cables. If you leave either the left or right, slightly one notch out, it works, but both totally in... the bass turns to water. I bought my unit from thomann.de and the fault appeared; at first the sound wouldn't work sometimes if you let the unit sitting and you'd have to replug the cable. Eventually a permanent fault developed with the sludgy bass. It's ok to use as is, i mean it still works, just one cable can't be in all the way.
Are you using balanced or unbalanced cables to connect your monitors?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I posted this in the duet 3 topic but sharing here as well.

Quote:

Just sitting here with my initial listening and so far I'm not finding to big of a difference between the SSL2+ and the Duet 3. I'm mainly using the interface as a mixing solution/DAC so I'm not to keen on the input side of things. I'll follow up with more later but initial observations are below.

Duet 3 observations:
- The unit is well built, has a nice heft to it, solid build quality.
- For a desktop application you'd definitely want the dock they make, I didn't test it using the dock as it is currently out of stock at Sweetwater.

Testing setup SSL 2+ vs Duet 3:
Both units full output into a Heritage Audio Baby RAM via TRS to TRS cables.

TRS-XLR -> Dynaudio LYD 48's and Presonus Tremblor 10

SSL2+ vs Duet
- The Duet 3 is definitely the louder of the two devices, required a little level matching.

- Soundstage is pretty much identical, I would have to try and find a difference between the two there overall, however there is a little thing that is a bit different here that I will discuss lower.

- Upper midrange - top end is a bit softer through the Apogee, for example when listening to "Mr. Miller" by Brian Bromberg the slapping on the bass is harsher on the SSL than it is on the Apogee, the Duet has an overall warmer tonality here. This is mainly in reference to the 2k-4k range, as the high end is very identical, I suppose this is the "SSL" sound?

- Lower mid range - sub region is where there's a sonic difference that's more noticeable. The Duet has a tad more extension in the sub range, its not overly apparent but there is a little more information there. The biggest difference I notice is in the lower mids, the SSL has a slight scoop here in comparison to the Duet.

- One observation I had when listening to both units is the SSL2+ has something interesting happening with its 200-500 range in regards to compression that's not present on the Duet. This overall gave an impression of a slightly more open sound in the lower mids, and a more one soundstage in this area.

Overall if you're someone debating which to get for a similar application you can't really go wrong with either. I've done some great mixes on the SSL2+ for clients, and utilizing reference material will help you adjust to those little small nuanced differences. Sonically the Duet is "better" than the SSL2+ but its not a HUGE difference as we might have expected. Overall I don't know that I'll keep the Duet, its a bit clunky to deal with without the dock, and tacking another $150 really just makes me look at the RME DAC units instead but I need at least one input for tracking reference guitars so my search may continue.

I'll do a few test runs through the Duet and see what happens overall with translation.
📝 Reply