Solid State Logic launches SSL 2 and SSL 2+ Audio Interfaces - Page 34 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Solid State Logic launches SSL 2 and SSL 2+ Audio Interfaces
Old 16th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 ➡️
Not sure what your point is...if they have a mix knob why would they need a switch?
Use of the knob seems to be covered in the manual.

What am I missing?
Not clear in the manual that you use the mix dial to flip between direct monitor and computer sound by turning left for min and right for computer...

All interfaces have buttons not knobs, its 2021!
Old 16th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyStudios ➡️
Not clear in the manual that you use the mix dial to flip between direct monitor and computer sound by turning left for min and right for computer...

All interfaces have buttons not knobs, its 2021!
A switch can only have a fixed level and you need to find another way to balance the direct and playback signals. A knob is the more flexible option as you can balance the levels.

This is described fairly clearly in the manual.

Quote:
Use the MONITOR MIX control to balance
how much of your 'live' input you are hearing
with low-latency in the monitors/headphones,
against how much of the DAW tracks you have
to perform against. Setting this correctly will
help enable either yourself or the performer
to produce a good take. To put it simply, turn
the knob to the left to hear 'more me' and to
the right for 'more backing track'.
Old 17th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
I understood this concept perfectly even without the manual and I definitely prefer it over a fixed button. Maybe it`s just a question of how much experience you have under your belt? I don`t know you personally, so I don`t want to jump to any conclusions here. This is not a complicated device, so it was really easy for me to understand what it can and cannot do before I bought it. If I didn`t like the concept of the mix knob (something you see in many plugins as well), I wouldn`t have bought it and then complain about it afterwards.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Not sure what your point is...if they have a mix knob why would they need a switch?
Use of the knob seems to be covered in the manual.

What am I missing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grR0ua2fpBM
Watch this video
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
You turn the knob to usb when you don't want to monitor the inputs, you turn it towards input to hear what you're tracking.

The disadvantage of this is that you alter the level going to speaker when changing the mix level, but the advantage is that you can adjust mix between direct and main without needing to do it by turning down your DAW master fader.

Doesn't make it wrong, bad, or outdated. Just different.
Old 18th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
You turn the knob to usb when you don't want to monitor the inputs, you turn it towards input to hear what you're tracking.

The disadvantage of this is that you alter the level going to speaker when changing the mix level, but the advantage is that you can adjust mix between direct and main without needing to do it by turning down your DAW master fader.

Doesn't make it wrong, bad, or outdated. Just different.
out dated sneaky trick, because SSL want you to buy their SS6 in order to have better (real crappy 4k preamps in stead of 9k yet) and they do not want you to have the option to completing switch with out blending things on the unit.

you obviously did no watch the video, there are reasons someone wants a switch like on focusrite and just about every interface....especially reasons mentioned in my YouTube video which are to do with filming, re amping etc
Old 19th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
dont forget that SSL did not mention how to use the direct monitor mix switch because it actually does not exist,

To use it you have to turn the monitor mix knob below 0 for input or above 10 for USB

It is ridiculous how no one here caught that or anyone from SSL discussed this either clearly in their manual or here, which means they think most f the gear heads here are gullible!
I think your knob might be broken because mine is a continuous mix. 50/50 at center going to 100% at either extreme. No input latency, direct mix, love it.
Old 20th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggysane ➡️
I think your knob might be broken because mine is a continuous mix. 50/50 at center going to 100% at either extreme. No input latency, direct mix, love it.
someone in this thread had to mod the SSL2+
Old 20th March 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
My SSL 2+ don't work with MacBook Pro m1

Hi, my SSL 2+ don't work with my MacBook Pro m1, Big Sur 11.2.3 & OWC thunderbolt dock
:-(

my Mac simply don't see the SSL,
audio interface is power on :-)

NEWS! it's works, bad cable :-D

Last edited by Casti; 20th March 2021 at 11:38 PM.. Reason: NEWS!
Old 23rd March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
The tone of this video is that he made a dumb mistake as well.
Old 26th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny1969 ➡️
Thanks for taking the time to explain things , you have also saved me some cash as I was edging towards the apollo with the thinking off more expensive is better ( although I'm not a big fan of the mixer apps) but actually hearing a ssl2 and sm7b combo I think I can finally make a choice , now I just have to wait for the UK shops to get some stock.
I'm currently using a motu m4 and before that I had a audient id14 .
I sold the id14 as I wasn't spending much time writing and recording but now find myself with more spare time and getting back into it.
So I got the motu m4 but I think the id14 preamp was better and will be returning the motu m4 for the ssl2.
Hello Sir, after reading you have owned the Motu M4, Audient Id14 and now the SSL 2 which one sounds the best for recording vocals please?

And which one is overall the best?

Would love to hear your response please as these were my top picks.

Thanks
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
The SSL2 does sound best for vocals from what I know, I recorded on all the devices you mentioned including focusrite 2i2 and 4i4 gens 3, the headroom on the SSL2+ is just much wider, clearer and much more headroom for anyone recording vocals.

the rest seemed boxed in, I do prefer audiant and focusrite for guitars though., the motu m4 looks cool and I had no time to try it, so I never got the chance to record vocals with it so I can't say.

So far the SSL2 seems to please 2 singers who choose it every time we record now.

Last edited by SkyStudios; 27th March 2021 at 10:41 PM..
Gear Head

Thanks!

Did you mean to type the "headroom ON the SSL2+ is just much wider" you put the word not.

Cheers
Old 27th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMan19 ➡️
Hello Sir, after reading you have owned the Motu M4, Audient Id14 and now the SSL 2 which one sounds the best for recording vocals please?

And which one is overall the best?

Would love to hear your response please as these were my top picks.

Thanks
I did own an Audient ID14 a little over 6 years ago but didn't keep it long. Same with the SSL2, I tried. and sent it back just shy 4 months ago. Honestly I prefer the conversion of my more expensive MOTU 828ES that's sitting rack mounted in my Argosy Console desk that runs the show that was more sonically close to an Apogee.

The SSL2 had decent conversion but the head phone amp ouput level was the weak point. I think the conversion was slightly better than my M4 I have for my mobile rig. I turned my M4 into a half rack unit rack like the Ultralites, that I have racked mounted inside a 2U roadrunner rack case for on the the go and I cam drop in my own external analog outboard pre amp of my choice. I felt that the M4 is just more versatile for the money given that the SSL interfaces lacks dedicated line inputs for outboard gear.

I was not all that impressed with the stock pres on the SSL interface. It seemed a bit too bright sounding that lacked much if the lower and mind frequencies that seem a bit harsh sounding on many microphones. My Focusrite outboard pre of course sounds significantly better that has a fuller sound and the noise floor is way lower. Drivers on the SSL2 were Ok just like any other interface I've used that uses the same Thesyco drivers. MOTU pretty much hands down when it comes to driver stability and latency performance. They develop thier drivers In-house like RME, Lynx and Metric Halo etc and support its drivers just as long. The Audient ID14 sounded very good but the drivers were very buggy at the time.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360studios15 ➡️
I did own an Audient ID14 a little over 6 years ago but didn't keep it long. Same with the SSL2, I tried. and sent it back just shy 4 months ago. Honestly I prefer the conversion of my more expensive MOTU 828ES that's sitting rack mounted in my Argosy Console desk that runs the show that was more sonically close to an Apogee.

The SSL2 had decent conversion but the head phone amp ouput level was the weak point. I think the conversion was slightly better than my M4 I have for my mobile rig. I turned my M4 into a half rack unit rack like the Ultralites, that I have racked mounted inside a 2U roadrunner rack case for on the the go and I cam drop in my own external analog outboard pre amp of my choice. I felt that the M4 is just more versatile for the money given that the SSL interfaces lacks dedicated line inputs for outboard gear.

I was not all that impressed with the stock pres on the SSL interface. It seemed a bit too bright sounding that lacked much if the lower and mind frequencies that seem a bit harsh sounding on many microphones. My Focusrite outboard pre of course sounds significantly better that has a fuller sound and the noise floor is way lower. Drivers on the SSL2 were Ok just like any other interface I've used that uses the same Thesyco drivers. MOTU pretty much hands down when it comes to driver stability and latency performance. They develop thier drivers In-house like RME, Lynx and Metric Halo etc and support its drivers just as long. The Audient ID14 sounded very good but the drivers were very buggy at the time.
Which one sounds best for vocals. Forget everything else. SSL2+, Motu M2/M4 or Audient Id14?
Old 27th March 2021
Gear Head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YziM7TNwmqc

Love it how the $4.5 bulk price AKM codec retained the sound after 100 takes.

Ain't these high dollar converter guys making fools of us.

A 16x2 dedicated summing converter from SSL would be nice.
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rearslum ➡️
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YziM7TNwmqc

Love it how the $4.5 bulk price AKM codec retained the sound after 100 takes.

Ain't these high dollar converter guys making fools of us.

A 16x2 dedicated summing converter from SSL would be nice.
whatever happened to the SSL 16/4 and 4/16 boxes ... or am i thinking Euphonix ??
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 ➡️
whatever happened to the SSL 16/4 and 4/16 boxes ... or am i thinking Euphonix ??
SSL used to have these it appears. Surprized at the lack of dedicated summing converter solutions with right amounts of I/O on the market. And insane prices for the "mastering grade" converters where only the analog path is different while actual chips are dirt cheap anyway.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I can't tell you how much more headroom the SSL has compared to Focusrite Scarlette's the Audiant and Motu (based on a singer I tracked again Friday morning).

The Motu look cool but the singer who prefers the SSL says Motu has issues on Macs, this is sad, every time I hear problems on OS X I think APPLE cheating us all out, not just developers and 3rd party accessory developers as well.

the SSL does work flawless on Mac, the people complaining about headphone out put here are correct, its true that its low....horrible for anyone recording drums with it around, sad part is that its design is perfect for drummers but useless if they can't hear anything having it on their side recording.

But if your like many who dont have drum sets at home to record then go for the SSL2Plus, you won't regret it, the best thing up from this is a Apollo twin USB., think about that one.
Old 29th March 2021
Here for the gear

Unsurprisingly, I feel like some of the userbase on this board are not the target market for this thing. I've been using it for about 7 months as a bedroom+ noise hobbyist.

Things I don't like:

1. The buttons feel cheap as heck, and I worry that they are failing a bit already.
2. I agree that the headphone output is weak with 250Ω monitors. Not unusable, but not great.
3. The outputs aren't DC coupled, which is a minor annoyance.
4. Rear-mounted headphones out was a bit frustrating until I routed it to a patch bay.

Things I like:
1. The preamps are clean and powerful. This is fine, especially for the SSL modeling-first ITB approach.
2. I like the 4k gimmick, especially for synths and effects-heavy guitar stuff. Vocals is hit and miss. Surprisingly nice on a cello?
3. The output layout is great - can send the main monitoring signal out of the RCAs and then have four outs sent to a patch bay for outboard stuff.
4. Absolutely love a big knob.
5. I love the monitoring mix knob - was one of my favorite things about the iD4. Really lets you get a nice balance regardless of actual levels.
6. The meters are pretty great.
7. Yay for MIDI I0.

I've since picked up a Trident 4T (yes, a similar low cost prosumer cash grab from another legendary company, but it rules imho) and a Soyuz launcher for a ribbon mic, so the SSL2+ is now a full-time line-in interface. I've got a 8x2 summing box that works pretty well for recording - if I were more pro I'd care more about having more inputs, and at that point, I'll probably get some sort of standalone converter with a lightpipe out and move to an iD14 for the desktop?

Basically, it serves the purpose that I needed upgrading from the iD4 - it's got more inputs and outputs at the right price. I don't make enough use of the plugins but that last sale was pretty amazing, and I'm glad that I've got them waiting for when I do need them. If I were to do it again now, I'm not sure I'd get the SSL2+ over the M4 or the new iD14, but I'm not grumpy about it. For critical listening and final mixing I do switch over to the little MIYO - it's significantly more detailed than the SSL unit, at least with the high impedance headphones.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
So, when all is said and done, at similar pricing:
SSL2 or MOTU M2 ?
SSL2+ or MOTU M4 ?
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
out dated sneaky trick, because SSL want you to buy their SS6 in order to have better (real crappy 4k preamps in stead of 9k yet) and they do not want you to have the option to completing switch with out blending things on the unit.

you obviously did no watch the video, there are reasons someone wants a switch like on focusrite and just about every interface....especially reasons mentioned in my YouTube video which are to do with filming, re amping etc
This is the dumbest **** I've read today, and I've read a lot on here today.

Plenty of interfaces uses a knob, it is better IMO as you can mix the levels.

This isn't a conspiracy lol.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head

I have a little problem with mine.

Whenever I'm in DAW I can't get any sound in windows. Seems like ASIO is seizing the WDM driver or something. If I minimize DAW and try to browse some youtube I get a frozen screen and playback error.

Sometimes the sound comes back if I close DAW, sometimes it doesn't and I have to reboot the SSL.

I had a number of interfaces and all allowed me to access windows sound (internet, music player etc) with active DAW.

Does anyone else have this problem or knows a solution?

I submitted a ticket to SSL but I don't know how long it'll take them to respond, this issue is really annoying me.
Solid State Logic

🎧 10 years
Which DAW?
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➡️
Which DAW?
Cubase 10. Also I just noted (my 1st day working with it) when I minimize Cubase it stops playing. I'm used to having Cubase keep on playing the song so I can listen to it in background while browsing internet etc. It just stops (not gets muted but stops) automatically whenever I minimize.

It may be Cubase issue, but I'm used to switching interfaces and I never got this problem before with the same Cubase version. But I'm of course open to suggestions.

I have "release driver in background" checked. Seems like it doesn't get released or something?
Solid State Logic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by acctx ➡️
Cubase 10. Also I just noted (my 1st day working with it) when I minimize Cubase it stops playing. I'm used to having Cubase keep on playing the song so I can listen to it in background while browsing internet etc. It just stops (not gets muted but stops) automatically whenever I minimize.

It may be Cubase issue, but I'm used to switching interfaces and I never got this problem before with the same Cubase version. But I'm of course open to suggestions.

I have "release driver in background" checked. Seems like it doesn't get released or something?
Uncheck release driver in background. When you minimise the window it becomes background.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➡️
Uncheck release driver in background. When you minimise the window it becomes background.
Box unchecked: able to continue playing with Cubase minimized. But no sound in youtube or anywhere else outside Cubase as long as it still runs.

Box checked: when Cubase minimized playback stops. But still no sound in youtube or anywhere else.
Attached Thumbnails
Solid State Logic launches SSL 2 and SSL 2+ Audio Interfaces-ssl.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by acctx ➡️
Box unchecked: able to continue playing with Cubase minimized. But no sound in youtube or anywhere else outside Cubase as long as it still runs.

Box checked: when Cubase minimized playback stops. But still no sound in youtube or anywhere else.
Try to turn off Windows audio exclusive mode for the ssl.
Make sure sample rates are matching in Windows and DAW.
Gear Head

Quote:
Try to turn off Windows audio exclusive mode for the ssl.
Make sure sample rates are matching in Windows and DAW.
Thank you. That did it.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Head
Is it possible to use an external preamp with ssl2+?
📝 Reply