Quote:
Originally Posted by pass-out ➡️
Wow thats just bad ass
Only if it sounds good...
Old 4th January 2020
Lives for gear

19 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Thats what they decide to clone? Cmon. How many of us have been vexed by tube mics that don't cool themselves? I always thought the original was nonsense. The world needs no more mics anyway. Period.
Old 4th January 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Coates ➡️
Thats what they decide to clone? Cmon. How many of us have been vexed by tube mics that don't cool themselves? I always thought the original was nonsense. The world needs no more mics anyway. Period.
Old 4th January 2020
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
That's a big miss on the price. You can get a real one for pretty close to that.
Old 4th January 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ya, that price is crazy and pretty much in the “used” territory for a real one. I was expecting under $1500 again.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bittman ➡️
That's a big miss on the price. You can get a real one for pretty close to that.
Really? A new one is about £10k, this is just one third of that price.
Old 4th January 2020
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Did Sony stop production on them? I thought all that was left was NOS. But I've seen used ones go for $4500 more than once. It's going to have to sound identical to justify the price. Plus there are so many other options in that range like REDD or Ref Gold/C/Silver that arguably are more modern and hip today. $2500 list/$2k street would have been a lot more of a no-brainer.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bittman ➡️
Did Sony stop production on them? I thought all that was left was NOS. But I've seen used ones go for $4500 more than once. It's going to have to sound identical to justify the price. Plus there are so many other options in that range like REDD or Ref Gold/C/Silver that arguably are more modern and hip today. $2500 list/$2k street would have been a lot more of a no-brainer.
Yes, but that's comparing a used mic to a new one (albeit a clone). I would expect the cooling fins hanging off the back have an impact on achieving "that sound" and I'm sure that adds substantially to the manufacturing costs. Either way, it will either sell and make them a profit or it won't.

We'll have to wait to see what the marketplace makes of it.
Old 7th January 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
The tube uses an anode voltage of 230V (..)
Sony C800G runs at 90V on the Anode.

/Jakob E.
Old 7th January 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Resale value for a golden age? I guess this is no real investment. Even if it sounds close.
Old 8th January 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I wonder if it will sound the same.? They did say Quote: "The Golden Age Premier GA-800G is currently the only microphone to fully reproduce the C800G. It´s appearance and structure, as well as accessories and circuit principles, including its sound character, strictly follows the original design. All of the parts including the power plug and the pin definition of the power supply are the same as in the original C800G". Looks the same ..Lol Only time will tell.

Hmmmm for $3,999 US... Hmmmm ?

KP
Old 8th January 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Has anyone tried the Advanced Audio CM800T (AA's take on Sony C800G) ?? Currently $795.00 USD

KP
Old 8th January 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sorry G.A.P...But your Q.C has been so GODDAMN AWFUL at points over the years (Entire shipments of EQ 81's were defective, the Comp 54 are rife with problems, things die ALL the time with G.A.P)

And customer service has either been non-existent. (The one new thing I bought from you went bad, I emailed as it said I should if I encounter a problem) and I got back the most "Shoulder-shrug..."Gee..I dunno"..."Hey, let me try a bunch of words that mean nothing so you'll get confused and go away" email back...I haven't been so put off by an email since the heyday of Arturia's customer service (Abuse) department (Someone should do a movie on those years, you just can't write this stuff)

This type of "Get the customer off your back, over-promise, under-deliver" company attitude could be found elsewhere. In your mrk1 preamp, there was no insert, BUT HAVE NO FEAR! The 1/4 out is EASILY converted to one!

But when you get to the explanation of the conversion, it makes NO SENSE...again, words that add up to nothing. So I took it to my tech to do, he got ahold of you AND SAID THE SAME THING! That you absolutely were NOT willing to tell ANYONE how to do it, also, he thought that you might not KNOW. (He figured out a way, but this is not what was documented)

With Q.C, I don't know whether it's been improved, I just know that at many points over the years you must have been sending stuff straight from China to retailers..with NO ONE DOING ANY Q.C AT ALL!!

Now, this has resulted in my getting a bunch of G.A.P units for peanuts (Like $100 a box) and I've had fun tinkering with them (I was going to build a board out of them but stuff keeps FAILING) and they sound....Good'ish.

But I've had to laugh at these "Premium" boxes you've been marketing lately, I have a "No-fly" list of companies that I would not buy anything new from, let alone something that was supposed to be "High-end"....and guess who's on that list?
Old 8th January 2020
Gear Guru

That AA mic has a good rep (well like all the AA's).
Chris
Old 8th January 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
And what about the power supply ... does it have 2 tubes ... the "same" circuitry?
Old 9th January 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KP2020 ➡️
Has anyone tried the Advanced Audio CM800T (AA's take on Sony C800G) ?? Currently $795.00 USD

KP
I have an AA 800 and it is AMAZING. I have a client that has a vintage u67 that he always brings to my studio..He grabbed the wrong mic case a couple of sessions ago (it had a power supply but no mic) and we started recording with the AA 800 and we are finishing the record with this mic. Everyone who uses it does a double or triple take. It really does sound glorious
Old 9th January 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke M2D6 ➡️
I have an AA 800 and it is AMAZING. I have a client that has a vintage u67 that he always brings to my studio..He grabbed the wrong mic case a couple of sessions ago (it had a power supply but no mic) and we started recording with the AA 800 and we are finishing the record with this mic. Everyone who uses it does a double or triple take. It really does sound glorious

Ok Awesome!! Thank You for the Response. Did you compare with the Real Sony C800 by chance?

KP
Old 10th January 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Ok Awesome!! Thank You for the Response. Did you compare with the Real Sony C800 by chance?

KP
@ Paul_G sold one of his two C800G since he got the AA and even uses the AA and the C800G as a stereo couple.

I have an AA also.

There were audio examples for comparison of the C800G, the AA CM800T and the Sony C100 posted on GS as well.

For the typical modern vocal sound (rap, Post Malone etc...) you need to use the Sony Inflator on it.

Another (supposedly exact) clone is available by Stam Audio but it comes with a long waiting time.
Old 10th January 2020
Gear Guru

Paul G's judgement on various microphones is (more than) enough for me. And Dave Thomas' heart (AA owner) is in the right place.
He's a real "gear nut"-like the rest of us! (said with highest respect)
Chris
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert ➡️
@ Paul_G sold one of his two C800G since he got the AA and even uses the AA and the C800G as a stereo couple.

I have an AA also.

There were audio examples for comparison of the C800G, the AA CM800T and the Sony C100 posted on GS as well.

For the typical modern vocal sound (rap, Post Malone etc...) you need to use the Sony Inflator on it.

Another (supposedly exact) clone is available by Stam Audio but it comes with a long waiting time.

We appreciate the info @ Eigenwert thank you. Gonna grab the AA CM800t the G.A.P. may be Sexier But we can use the savings on other gear and enjoy the same ballpark sound!!

KP
Old 10th January 2020
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The CM800T is „inspired by“, not an exact clone of the G800C. The tube runs at slightly lower voltage, improving the vacuum tube life dramatically, while slightly reducing the still very good dynamic range of the amplifier circuit.

Dr. Dre has 3, Eminem 2 and their engineer another one of the C800G. They say they need that many as the tubes need replacement so often and then they send them in. The AA CM800T can run super long on one tube and any tech can easily and quickly replace it. Using a much cheaper to buy tube than what‘s in the G800C.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke M2D6 ➡️
Quite different microphones if the 800 is close to the original......
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O ➡️
Quite different microphones if the 800 is close to the original......

They are quite different...But on this guys voice who is very Baritone it sounds absolutely better than the u67, and the u67 sounds GREAT. My client is going to buy a couple of the 800's because of it.

Believe me, I never thought that I would type that last sentence, and in no way would I have thought that we would be using the AA 800 over the U67...The Mic just sounds great. I am for sure going to buy some more of AA's offerings. (possibly the 67 and the 251?)
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:

KP
I'm actually going to take it to my friends studio who has an actual 800 and compare it.

Paul G's blind comparisons and BOSE's accapellas are what sold me on it. I wasn't even looking to get a mic with that (Sony 800G) sound. I just liked what I heard and was iin the market for a tube mic and liked these examples better than any other examples of tube mics I had heard.
Old 12th January 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
This is fantastic, but I need to see the inside of the microphone at all angles
Old 13th January 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It looks just like it, ha. Are there no copyright issues?
Old 13th January 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The price of just over 4k in USD is including the night VAT, so the list price in US dollars is 3 370 usd today. Dare I guess the street price will be 2 995 usd? Still a lot to pay for a copy of something, but not more than many revered u47 copies.
Old 13th January 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
still looks like $3,999.99 Vintage King

https://vintageking.com/golden-age-p...ser-microphone
📝 Reply