The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Golden Age Premier GA-800G
Old 28th October 2020 | Show parent
  #871
Lives for gear
 
toledo3's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBOYO ➡️

The Sony c800g is actually harsh on the top end to some engineers surprisingly.
The first time I worked with one the quality of the top end bugged the hell out of me. Not it being bright, but the somewhat harsh quality of the brightness. I remember the next few years hearing various songs recorded with them on radio, and it was amazingly easy to pick out something tracked with one because of what it does to any consonant or sibilant sound.

It is truly stunning to see what has happened with them over time. In the early days they were bagged on so hard, and you would often hear about Sony giving them away to their artists in order to jumpstart sales and move units.

I don’t have as negative of a view of the mic anymore - it is what it is. But the price and hype around it are pretty ridiculous.

Also, these have always been produced in batches. There have always been lags between runs.
Old 30th October 2020 | Show parent
  #872
Lives for gear
 
Paul_G's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 ➡️
The first time I worked with one the quality of the top end bugged the hell out of me. Not it being bright, but the somewhat harsh quality of the brightness. I remember the next few years hearing various songs recorded with them on radio, and it was amazingly easy to pick out something tracked with one because of what it does to any consonant or sibilant sound.

It is truly stunning to see what has happened with them over time. In the early days they were bagged on so hard, and you would often hear about Sony giving them away to their artists in order to jumpstart sales and move units.

I don’t have as negative of a view of the mic anymore - it is what it is. But the price and hype around it are pretty ridiculous.

Also, these have always been produced in batches. There have always been lags between runs.
Yeah it's just a hip hop status thing now.
Old 30th October 2020
  #873
Gear Maniac
Sony 100 vs Sony c800g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82h9QVEMGGM

GA800 vs Sony c800g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qomthq-G-U

C800G wins in both tests but c100 kicks the GA800 in the butt and also the lower price makes it a steal.
Those are the best tests I've found on You Tube so far.
GA800 is harsh and ain't worth it in my opinion.
I hope they also do a cm800t vs c800g test.

I think they should reduce the price for the orginal c800g now with the return to the market.
Yesterday I told my friend I wouldn't pay more than 5k for a mic and that the c800g should cost around that.
Old 30th October 2020
  #874
Gear Guru
 
If you look them up, here at GS...
Paul G already did an excellent comparison, with Sony and AA example clips.
Chris
Old 30th October 2020 | Show parent
  #875
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 ➡️
If you look them up, here at GS...
Paul G already did an excellent comparison, with Sony and AA example clips.
Chris
I know he did but I need several examples to make myself an opinion.
He also did it with a Tube Tech which gives the c100 an extra boost.

Without the tube pre it sounds thinner than the c800g.
Old 30th October 2020
  #876
Gear Guru
 
I totally understand that.
For me though, I take Paul G's evaluations as definitive.
Partly as I have similar sonic taste...
Chris
Old 31st October 2020 | Show parent
  #877
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 ➡️
I totally understand that.
For me though, I take Paul G's evaluations as definitive.
Partly as I have similar sonic taste...
Chris
I know he knows what he does. He got the best out of the c100 with the Tube Tech preamp but I wanted another one without the extra boost and this video was the perfect one for that.
Old 3rd November 2020 | Show parent
  #878
Here for the gear
 
AbsoluutBeats's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G ➡️
Looks like your waiting for the reveal then....

Okay here it comes.....

Ready....

1. Sony C800G
2. Natural GA800G
3. GA800G with Sony PSU
4. AA CMT800

These were all performed with a proximity of 12" through a Requisite Pal Plus. No pop shield.
No compression.

The AA scored very highly again.
Hey Paul do you have the RTS-4A Vacuum Tube or OPS-2D Solid State PS ?
Old 4th November 2020 | Show parent
  #879
Lives for gear
 
Paul_G's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluutBeats ➡️
Hey Paul do you have the RTS-4A Vacuum Tube or OPS-2D Solid State PS ?
Is this a question directed at me because I don’t recognisise the gear?
Old 4th November 2020 | Show parent
  #880
Gear Head
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G ➡️
Is this a question directed at me because I don’t recognisise the gear?
do you have any experience with the lauten audio eden or atlantis?
Old 5th November 2020 | Show parent
  #881
Here for the gear
 
AbsoluutBeats's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G ➡️
Is this a question directed at me because I don’t recognisise the gear?
I apologize I should have been more clear, For the Requisite Pal Plus I understand it comes with either a tube power supply or a solid state power supply, I was just curious which one you got with your's/used for the shootout. RTS-4A & OPS-2D is just the different names of the power supplies.

Last edited by AbsoluutBeats; 7th November 2020 at 11:30 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 7th November 2020 | Show parent
  #882
Lives for gear
 
Paul_G's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsbleedo ➡️
do you have any experience with the lauten audio eden or atlantis?
No I haven't come across them in person nor heard many samples. Which I should track down.

Last edited by Paul_G; 8th November 2020 at 02:38 AM..
Old 9th November 2020 | Show parent
  #883
Gear Head
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G ➡️
No I haven't come across them in person nor heard many samples. Which I should track down.
OK cool wanted to hear your opinion
Old 25th January 2021 | Show parent
  #884
Here for the gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by auralart ➡️
came here thinking i might find people talking about how the GA800 sounds instead its just a bunch of little kids arguing about stam this aa that and apparently some dude named Paul is audio jesus. Then again this is gearslutz so im not surprised.
I can't stop laughing! I feel the exact same way! Please put all of your feelings & emotions to the side, and let us hear how this thing sounds!
Old 25th January 2021 | Show parent
  #885
Here for the gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlersonic ➡️
The sony sound is instantly recognizable in this shootout.
The Golden Age sounds alright but nothing like the Sony.

I've actually found the cheaper C100 to be a decent approximation of the C800 sound, particularly for softer vocals.
Absolutely not, sent it back within an hour of tracking with it! Also GAP just came out with an updated power supply!
Old 27th January 2021 | Show parent
  #886
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYSTA MYSTA ➡️
Absolutely not, sent it back within an hour of tracking with it! Also GAP just came out with an updated power supply!
Do we have any specs or pictures of this new power supply?! Did they decide to go tubed or just made some tweaks to their solid state circuit?!
Old 28th January 2021 | Show parent
  #887
Here for the gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayt0n ➡️
Do we have any specs or pictures of this new power supply?! Did they decide to go tubed or just made some tweaks to their solid state circuit?!
They even changed the name to: Golden Age Project GA-8000! Has a new power supply, but I can't tell you if it still solid state or tube's yet? It looks bad ass I know that, and if it helps to smooth out the high end a little, I'm sold! Cause on the contrary to what everyone else is talking about, I think it sound's really good! The $4000 price tag has people in their feeling's and I get that! So if it's too much for you then don't buy it, buy a different clone! But to trash it and say it doesn't sound good is just plain out not true! If this mic was 800-1500, people would be on here saying it's the best thing to ever happen! But since it's 4k, we are gonna find reason's to not like it! JS

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited by MYSTA MYSTA; 28th January 2021 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: adding picture link of power supply
Old 28th January 2021 | Show parent
  #888
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
No one is saying its not good. What I think is being said is that there is a mic right now(Advanced Audio) that is performing just as good for 1/4th the price. So why buy the one at 4K if it sounds that same/better!? If this was the only offering and the AA mic didn't exist, then maybe the 4K price tag would be justified and people would be paying that without question. There was obviously something wrong with the original GA-800 as about a month after release, there was a good bit of them for sale used everywhere. That's a sign that it probably didn't meet the expectations of what it was supposed to be. I have the AA version and love it! I haven't tried the GA-800, but why would I spend an extra 3K right now on the current model if the 1K other clone is doing the same job!? That would mean you are buying into the look of the mic over the sound of the mic. Which is more important to you!? I know what the answer to that question is for me...sound above all(but price matters a little too)!!
Old 28th January 2021 | Show parent
  #889
Lives for gear
 
Paul_G's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYSTA MYSTA ➡️
I can't stop laughing! I feel the exact same way! Please put all of your feelings & emotions to the side, and let us hear how this thing sounds!
We have heard how this thing sounds already. We're not all newbies to the forum like yourself. I even used a Sony PSU which improved the sound.

The GA Premier range is indeed impressive but despite looking like a Sony C800G it doesn't say Sony on the front which is what makes the big difference. Nobody ever says "do you have one of those mics that looks just like a Sony?"
No they either don't care and want a good sound or they want the real deal.

I'm not sure what your agenda is but you've obviously come on the board with some secret reason.....
Old 30th January 2021 | Show parent
  #890
Here for the gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayt0n ➡️
No one is saying its not good. What I think is being said is that there is a mic right now(Advanced Audio) that is performing just as good for 1/4th the price. So why buy the one at 4K if it sounds that same/better!? If this was the only offering and the AA mic didn't exist, then maybe the 4K price tag would be justified and people would be paying that without question. There was obviously something wrong with the original GA-800 as about a month after release, there was a good bit of them for sale used everywhere. That's a sign that it probably didn't meet the expectations of what it was supposed to be. I have the AA version and love it! I haven't tried the GA-800, but why would I spend an extra 3K right now on the current model if the 1K other clone is doing the same job!? That would mean you are buying into the look of the mic over the sound of the mic. Which is more important to you!? I know what the answer to that question is for me...sound above all(but price matters a little too)!!
Totally understand where you're coming from! It's all about what you, as the end user hear in your recording environment! If the AA sound's phenomenal to you, then so be it, if not pick a different mic and move on! No hard feeling's! But I guarantee if the GA cost $850 people would be losing they're mind's and saying it sound better then the Sony! It sound's good in it's on right forget if it sound's like the Sony! If it sound's good on the source, record, make good music, put it out for us to enjoy and keep it moving! I'm not gonna listen to a song and say, "oh no, that was recorded with a GA-800g, turn that off, or vice versa, AA! Yeah
Old 30th January 2021 | Show parent
  #891
Here for the gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G ➡️
We have heard how this thing sounds already. We're not all newbies to the forum like yourself. I even used a Sony PSU which improved the sound.

The GA Premier range is indeed impressive but despite looking like a Sony C800G it doesn't say Sony on the front which is what makes the big difference. Nobody ever says "do you have one of those mics that looks just like a Sony?"
No they either don't care and want a good sound or they want the real deal.

I'm not sure what your agenda is but you've obviously come on the board with some secret reason.....
Whatever you say! I'm a newbie, and that make's me inferior, got it! I'll tell you this: There are ton's of artist in the game right now, making thousands & even million of dollar's with worst mic's then the one's being debated. I'm sure your word carry's weight on slutz, and that is fantastic, and I'm sure you are probably the go to guy, but just because 1 opinion differs from the other, don't make you right! Just makes you different. That's the beauty of living my friend! Cheer's and here's to recording music! Never meant to cause any commotion! I apologize whole heartedly if I did!
Old 11th February 2021
  #892
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
I wonder has anyone heard this new version? https://goldenagemusic.mamutweb.com/...A-8000/1087800
Old 3rd March 2021 | Show parent
  #893
Here for the gear
 
The GA800G sounds amazing, people only give it grief because it costs 4k which i understand trust me. But its a 1:1 reissue of the 800g but with an upgraded circuit board that costs 20x more than the original and a solid state PSU which if you dont want to worry about tubes is an amazing upgrade. If it was $1,999 it would sell like crazy but again 4k is rough LOL. But yeah if you can find one used for like 3k id go for it but even then its still pretty rough at that price. But the mic is amazing.
Old 8th March 2021 | Show parent
  #894
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
One thing that concerns me is the fact that they have already did a revision and the “old” GA800G is worth significantly less now resale then it did a year ago. It doesn’t feel like a good investment to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robblogic ➡️
The GA800G sounds amazing, people only give it grief because it costs 4k which i understand trust me. But its a 1:1 reissue of the 800g but with an upgraded circuit board that costs 20x more than the original and a solid state PSU which if you dont want to worry about tubes is an amazing upgrade. If it was $1,999 it would sell like crazy but again 4k is rough LOL. But yeah if you can find one used for like 3k id go for it but even then its still pretty rough at that price. But the mic is amazing.
Old 11th March 2021 | Show parent
  #895
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McCabe ➡️
One thing that concerns me is the fact that they have already did a revision and the “old” GA800G is worth significantly less now resale then it did a year ago. It doesn’t feel like a good investment to me.
Company sets the price, market sets the value.
Old 11th March 2021 | Show parent
  #896
Gear Head
 
I have the eden and been thinking of buying the ga8000g, i also had the cm800t which i did like but it sounded thin to me
Old 11th March 2021 | Show parent
  #897
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsbleedo ➡️
I have the eden and been thinking of buying the ga8000g, i also had the cm800t which i did like but it sounded thin to me
Since the CM800T is very very close sounding to a C800G, and the GA800G is very close sounding to the C800G, I do NOT suggest you buy a GA800G.

The modern C800G sound is not for everybody.
Old 11th March 2021 | Show parent
  #898
Gear Head
 
I understand that and that's why I'm buying it from a place that allow you send it back within 30 days
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #899
Here for the gear
 
Johnaudiofury's Avatar
Cm800t vs zp800G

Hey , i have compared the CM800T with the ZP800G and found the cm800T dull in comparison and the ZP800g much more pleasing

Last edited by Johnaudiofury; 3 weeks ago at 05:34 PM.. Reason: better for the forum
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #900
Lives for gear
 
Paul_G's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnaudiofury ➡️
Hey , i have compared the CM800T with the ZP800G in this link: MY NEW SONY C800G TYPE MIC THE ZP800G KILLING THE AA AUDIO CM800T CLONE
I'd ignore this fake marketing BS.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 64 views: 15137
Avatar for ZpCorner
ZpCorner 7th March 2021
replies: 140 views: 51630
Avatar for ryctor
ryctor 23rd April 2017
replies: 64 views: 12604
Avatar for ucanhatemenow
ucanhatemenow 16th October 2020
replies: 921 views: 122339
Avatar for E Artsy Moods
E Artsy Moods 1 week ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump