The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MOTU releases M2 and M4 USB-C Bus Powered Interfaces
Old 12th May 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by basmartin ➡️
44,1 sample rate, 32 buffer gives 10 ms latency on my system with Scarlett. Motu M4 gives 2,5 ms with same setting.
Thanks. Good to know. How stable are the drivers? What OS? I never use 16-bit/44.1 anymore.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecode ➡️
Thanks. Good to know. How stable are the drivers? What OS? I never use 16-bit/44.1 anymore.
Interested me too, details in "My Studio" link says it's on MAC
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calagan ➡️
You should always tell your OS and machine : on my macbook pro running Mojave, the Motu M2 is the quickest interface I ever had (it has lowest latency than my thunderbolt Clarett), it's very stable and the CPU use is even a bit better than any other interface I had previously (actually, it's the first time I noticed such a CPU improvement using an audio interface : it's subtle, but on heavy mixes it's noticeable)...

So it seems that it's very OS dependant... The specific mac drivers reduced the latency by almost a factor two on my mac (I checked that before installing them), so I guess they improve a lot of other things compared to the windows drivers. It's a shame but MOTU was since long time a very Mac oriented manufacturer...
I'm on windows with a 9400f, asrock z370 board.
Old 14th May 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by telecode ➡️
24 bit though. I never use 44,1 either, if I´m the producer... :D

2018 Macbook Pro with Catalina, 2021 Mac Mini M1 with Big Sur. Same latency numbers. No issues with drivers so far.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Having a minor issue with M4 and Logic. After recording for awhile, the input audio sent to Logic breaks up in digital distortion. Direct monitoring still sounded fine. Have so far only happened when recording in 96 kHz and it´s solved by restarting Logic. Using M1 Mac Mini. Anyone else experienced that?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I have an issue regarding this otherwise excellent little audio interface : sometimes, the interface "goes to sleep" and no audio is outputing anymore. The meters are silent too (no output, no input), but I can notice some audio going in and out in my DAW so the interface is indeed processing audio. It just doesn't output it anymore.
I think (but I'm not sure) that it's related to the sleep parameters of my computer, because in my experience when it goes silent it's always after the computer woke up from sleep mode.
When I try to relaunch the interface, I noticed too that turning it on and off, or rebooting the computer, doesn't have any effect if a jack is plugged in the input. If nothing is plugged in the input, I can turn off and factory reset the interface (turning it on while pressing the MON button) and it works again.

I'm using it on a macbook pro mid-2012 running Mojave, with the 87935 driver (I just installed the most recent drivers, the 88339 version, but didn't try it yet).

Any similar issues among users here ?
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calagan ➡️
I have an issue regarding this otherwise excellent little audio interface : sometimes, the interface "goes to sleep" and no audio is outputing anymore. The meters are silent too (no output, no input), but I can notice some audio going in and out in my DAW so the interface is indeed processing audio. It just doesn't output it anymore.
I think (but I'm not sure) that it's related to the sleep parameters of my computer, because in my experience when it goes silent it's always after the computer woke up from sleep mode.
When I try to relaunch the interface, I noticed too that turning it on and off, or rebooting the computer, doesn't have any effect if a jack is plugged in the input. If nothing is plugged in the input, I can turn off and factory reset the interface (turning it on while pressing the MON button) and it works again.

I'm using it on a macbook pro mid-2012 running Mojave, with the 87935 driver (I just installed the most recent drivers, the 88339 version, but didn't try it yet).

Any similar issues among users here ?
Yeah, that issue popped up yesterday after I installed the new driver. I sent a message to Motu about it.

So far, switching the driver from Motu to for ex built in speaker and then back again, solves the issue for now.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I've kinda had that drop out happen in the middle of playback about 3-4 times since having the interface. It happen when I go to change a cable on it, not sure at what stage it actually cuts out, when I touch the chassis, the jack housing, not sure but its weird. The computer see's it, driver see's it, but no output or meters. It feels like it could be an electrical issue of some sort as I've had it cut out when turning on fans/speakers. I've got everything running off a tripplite isobar.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmelo ➡️
... It feels like it could be an electrical issue of some sort as I've had it cut out when turning on fans/speakers. ...
i don’t have much of anything bad to say about the M4, but i have experienced this a couple times with a small heater/fan that i was using last winter. i noticed it only happens when turning the fan off while it’s running, but not when the fan itself isn’t running/turning. if i turn the fan down (putting it into standby) before powering it off it doesn’t happen.

i did notice that it also causes my monitors to “pop” (which happens pretty much every time if the fan is still running and i power it off), so i don’t think it’s just a thing with the MOTU.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hey there,

I mainly listen to music with my usb interface (95% listening/ 5% mic (maybe even less)) and I'm not an expert when it comes to audio chips.

I ordered a pair of ADAM monitors a few days ago and I really like the sound. I still own my old Behringer Q502 USB.
Would you say the MOTU M2 would make a notable difference in terms of audio quality (balanced OUT) or is the Q502 USB not that crappy?

Thanks guys!
📝 Reply