MOTU releases M2 and M4 USB-C Bus Powered Interfaces - Page 36 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MOTU releases M2 and M4 USB-C Bus Powered Interfaces
Old 25th March 2021
Here for the gear

Hi,
can somebody confirm all 4 outs from M4 are DC coupled? (Monitor out & Line out) My unit can sent CV's only from Line outputs, not from Monitor outs... According to manual, all 4 outs should be DC coupled.
Old 27th March 2021
Lives for gear

In what appears to be breaking news, MotU posted M2/M4 drivers on their site today that are both Big Sur compatible and Apple Silicon native for the newer M1-based Macs.
Old 27th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia ➡️
In what appears to be breaking news, MotU posted M2/M4 drivers on their site today that are both Big Sur compatible and Apple Silicon native for the newer M1-based Macs.
And on the windows side, this

"Improved performance with low buffer size."

Interesting...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Do you think the new drivers will improve anything for a Mojave install ?
Or is it better to skip ?
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Good timing....literally just ordered one of these to replace my Behringer UMC22.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia ➡️
Wow, what good timing. Thank you!
Gear Nut

Looks like it actually installed this time (I got the dialog box prompt to open security preferences, and it was actually there - and I was able to click on Allow). But, I don't see the device in Audio MIDI Setup when it's not connected. I know it shows up when it's connected even without the drivers.

So, any idea how I can tell it's actually installed? I'm on Big Sur.
Old 27th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Bummer no Windows 7 drivers. Even with O & O helping manage Windows 10 it's a full time operation keeping Windows 10 from doing sneaky things behind your back. Many times my mobile data was zero after Win10 went off on a tangent.
But for the fact this is portable; does anyone think all Windows users have Windows 10? Not around here.

So that's a bummer, I might sell my M4 after stocking up on another brand anyway. This is simply too crashy picking up where you left off on a complicated project or all the starting and stopping you have to do if you wisely force your computer into sleep.
What's it worth ya think?
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM ➡️
Bummer no Windows 7 drivers. Even with O & O helping manage Windows 10 it's a full time operation keeping Windows 10 from doing sneaky things behind your back. Many times my mobile data was zero after Win10 went off on a tangent.
But for the fact this is portable; does anyone think all Windows users have Windows 10? Not around here.

So that's a bummer, I might sell my M4 after stocking up on another brand anyway. This is simply too crashy picking up where you left off on a complicated project or all the starting and stopping you have to do if you wisely force your computer into sleep.
What's it worth ya think?
Windows 7 is long out of date and no longer supported by Microsoft. Most people are on Windows 10 these days. Many major DAWs also stopped supporting Windows 7 esp Presonus studio one.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360studios15 ➡️
Windows 7 is long out of date and no longer supported by Microsoft. Most people are on Windows 10 these days. Many major DAWs also stopped supporting Windows 7 esp Presonus studio one.
Right, it's a 2000s product!
Gear Nut

Quote:
Most people are on windows 10, even on this forum.
Old 28th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmelo ➡️
Most people are on windows 10, even on this forum.
I only need to get to the Fall and I can get a nice Windows 10 DAW built, but for now both my main computers have something that Microsoft crippled in the name of Spectre and Meltdown.

Honestly I haven't spent a day away from a Windows computer since 1997 at the Uni. Windows will always be what, 80% finished, forever? Microsoft has no revenue if it keeps working you know.

And so many tips & tricks make Win 7 fly then it's back to my comfort zone till Fall.

I have a feeling many here won't be happy when they open projects 15 -20 years later
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
My M2 is rock solid on Windows 7, FWIW.
Gear Head

Quote:
Theres not a whole lot of options esp in that price range as the M4 which is a niche market. I've used and owned the Audient ID14 back then, a little over 6 years ago. It was a great sounding unit but the drivers were rubbish at the time with clicks and pops. Their hardware is great but tend not to hold up well over the years before they start having hardware failures similar to Antelope stuff.

The Focusrite Clarett are decent interfaces but not the best in terms of driver support. I do prefer the sound of my 828ES over the Clarett 8pre that I had awhile back. Anything else out there is going to be a lot more than $200 as you're going to have to spend above that reaching into the Apogee and Apollo territory. I tested the MOTU Ultralite AVB interface back in October of last year but wasn't too impressive with and sent it back. The sound quality seemed to be identical to the M4 that was indistinguishable so I kept the M4 that's more modern. It sounded nothing like my 828ES. It lacked the punciness of the button and and 3D space stereo imaging that the 828ES has. So theres definitely a difference in the power supply design and analog circuitry. The power supply is a wall wart. The 828ES has an internal power supply that's more robust.
Well I said i considered the Fireface UC which goes for 845€ so im willing to invest if the sound quality is top notch clear, solid drivers to not get popping and clipping ( I make electronic music and while I can tolerate some lag and don't need perfect low latency since it's all programmed with a mouse basically, I really hate clicks and pops when I start racking up many instances of vsts) and some connectivity all in a size that doesn't require a rack. So I was considering that one. However im not sure how good it is compared to newer ones since it's an old unit by now. However my idea is to invest on something long term and not have to spend 200€ every 5 years or so when they drop driver support. I was told RME never drops driver support basically, but im worried sound quality may not be as good as newer ones.
But ive heard people say that at least sound quality wise there isn't much difference from a 200€ unit to a 1000€ basically.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyerman ➡️
Well I said i considered the Fireface UC which goes for 845€ so im willing to invest if the sound quality is top notch clear, solid drivers to not get popping and clipping ( I make electronic music and while I can tolerate some lag and don't need perfect low latency since it's all programmed with a mouse basically, I really hate clicks and pops when I start racking up many instances of vsts) and some connectivity all in a size that doesn't require a rack. So I was considering that one. However im not sure how good it is compared to newer ones since it's an old unit by now. However my idea is to invest on something long term and not have to spend 200€ every 5 years or so when they drop driver support. I was told RME never drops driver support basically, but im worried sound quality may not be as good as newer ones.
But ive heard people say that at least sound quality wise there isn't much difference from a 200€ unit to a 1000€ basically.
RME is great but their stuff is quite expensive and in my opinion very over priced, because MOTU is very similar to RME that makes pretty much the same pro stuff for a fraction of the price esp when get into the Pro Audio world with the the higher end AVB MOTU stuff. They do offer long term driver support when you look at the history of supported products. The original MOTU 828 firewire interface from the early 2000s was supported for a total of 17 convective years on MacOS and 15 consecutive years on Windows. Clicks and pops is not an issue on my end and I had three different Windows machines that I tested about three different MOTU models,Ultralite AVB, M4 and 828ES. I don't own the Ultralite AVB anymore as I sent that back months ago same with the SSL2 and Apogee Quartet I bought those for testing purposes. The MOTU drivers seemed to be the most stable on Windows 10 compared to all the other devices I've used and owned over the years. The SSL2 and Apogee Quartet I had clicked and popped a lot esp with higher track count and multiple instants of Virutal instruments. Neither the M4 or 828ES had an issue. I sure would have recorded a video prove it. I switch to MOTU for the very same reason because of driver issues with Focusrites interfaces. So if you are looking for long term driver support, MOTU, RME, Lynx and Metric Halo are some of the very few companies that do.

I use the M4 for my mobile rig and I use it to make beats the same way you would use it. I also use it with an outboard pre. I have mine inside if a Roadrunner rack mount case that I turned the M4 essentially into a half rack unit like the Ultralite.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

I use the M4 for my mobile rig and I use it to make beats the same way you would use it. I also use it with an outboard pre. I have mine inside if a Roadrunner rack mount case that I turned the M4 essentially into a half rack unit like the Ultralite.
If it's ever convenient, I for one would love to see a picture. I'm trying to create an all-in-one 19" lunchbox including power amp, computer, small power amp and maybe even monitors on the sides and flip-up laptop up top. Like some frankenstein boom box, only needs power
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
If it's ever convenient, I for one would love to see a picture. I'm trying to create an all-in-one 19" lunchbox including power amp, computer, small power amp and maybe even monitors on the sides and flip-up laptop up top. Like some frankenstein boom box, only needs power
I posted a photo awhile back on here of my M4 housed in a rack mount case with a 1U Focusrite ISA TWO outboard pre amp. I use to own Windows 7 Laptop that was 11 years old. The motherboard died on it but it was about that time up grade since my Desktop was already running windows 10. I have Lenovo Legion 5 which is pictured in that same photo. My bigger MOTU 828ES is my main interface in the studio that runs the show.
Old 29th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
There isn't an interface on the planet that will fix poor plugin processing management. RME's will hit buffer underruns just like anything else.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
There isn't an interface on the planet that will fix poor plugin processing management. RME's will hit buffer underruns just like anything else.
Explain that to Protools HDX users. Much of the professional / commercial market uses mostly none RME interfaces. AVID, Lynx, Apogee makes up majority of the commerical studio market. The Focusrite RedNet Dante and some of MOTU'S AVB interfaces are also making it's way into commerical studios with Audio networking. You just don't see RME interfaces much in large commercial facilities.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Explain that to Protools HDX users. Much of the professional / commercial market uses mostly none RME interfaces. AVID, Lynx, Apogee makes up majority of the commerical studio market. The Focusrite RedNet Dante and some of MOTU'S AVB interfaces are also making it's way into commerical studios with Audio networking. You just don't see RME interfaces much in large commercial facilities.
Let's stick to non-dsp interfaces that don't cost several times that of the one the thread is based on. No one is going "man I can't decided between the m4, and rednet lol". Like what is this achtually crap do you guys not know how to talk to people or something?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I posted a photo awhile back on here of my M4 housed in a rack mount case with a 1U Focusrite ISA TWO outboard pre amp. I use to own Windows 7 Laptop that was 11 years old. The motherboard died on it but it was about that time up grade since my Desktop was already running windows 10. I have Lenovo Legion 5 which is pictured in that same photo. My bigger MOTU 828ES is my main interface in the studio that runs the show.
Oh right on I saw that, and it might very well be the original inspiration
Old 29th March 2021
Gear Nut

Since the driver update, I'm noticing that I have to turn the interface off and on every time I connect the USB to my macbook, if not it will turn on but not do any input/output. Anyone else notice this? Previously, I could simply leave the switch in the "on" position and just remove the USB power.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Let's stick to non-dsp interfaces that don't cost several times that of the one the thread is based on. No one is going "man I can't decided between the m4, and rednet lol". Like what is this achtually crap do you guys not know how to talk to people or something?
The Lynx Aurora is not a DSP interface and I've used the original Aurora 16. I was addressing your absurd claim because otherwise RME would of been an industry standard in commercial studios which rarely you don't see. You also see Burl, Lavry Engineering, Antelope as well.
Old 31st March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
So what do I buy?

I saw told by someone that looks like what he is talking about that a UMC404HD will sound basically the same as a motu m4 or an RME Fireface UCX and that sound quality wise price difference is not justified, you would be paying build quality and drivers. He is probably right and in blind tests most people wouldn't be able to tell from a 200€ unit from a 1000€ RME sound quality wise.

I know interfaces don't give "fix plugins" but having stable drivers sure helps. I would invest on an RME only because I know they never seem to drop driver support and even firewire units still work in Windows 10.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
So what do I buy?

I saw told by someone that looks like what he is talking about that a UMC404HD will sound basically the same as a motu m4 or an RME Fireface UCX and that sound quality wise price difference is not justified, you would be paying build quality and drivers. He is probably right and in blind tests most people wouldn't be able to tell from a 200€ unit from a 1000€ RME sound quality wise.

I know interfaces don't give "fix plugins" but having stable drivers sure helps. I would invest on an RME only because I know they never seem to drop driver support and even firewire units still work in Windows 10.
They aren't the only one as I mentioned MOTU, Lynx and Metric Halo are well known for long term driver support that supports its products just as long as RME. You really should just buy a few interfaces in bulk to try and you then decide. Sound quality is rather subjective. That's what I did which is how I ended trying out a laundry list if interfaces over the years plus varies of commercial studios I worked at.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesy ➡️
Since the driver update, I'm noticing that I have to turn the interface off and on every time I connect the USB to my macbook, if not it will turn on but not do any input/output. Anyone else notice this? Previously, I could simply leave the switch in the "on" position and just remove the USB power.
It did that on the previous Windows drivers but I can't test the new ones for a while.

Does RME have USB settings that help their units to not have any re connectivity issues?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I've had a fantastic experience with my M4. It's been super stable on my PC and have been happy with RTL, mic-pre's and headphone output. Certainly a step up from the 2i4 2nd gen I had prior. Over the last year though I've added additional gear and I'm now looking to step things up a notch. I'll hang on to the M4 as my portable solution as it's a no brainer in that regard.
Currently looking at the Audient ID44 as it has the extra inputs/features I am now looking for. Will be interesting to hear how the converters sound in comparison. The Zen Go had my attention for a little bit but I think I would tire pretty quickly with the click button wheel to change between all the parameters...gross.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
So, when all is said and done, at similar pricing:
SSL2 or MOTU M2 ?
SSL2+ or MOTU M4 ?
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleer ➡️
SSL2 or MOTU M2 ?
SSL2+ or MOTU M4 ?
For me the motu in both cases. I find the metering on the motu's to be super handy for setting my mic gains and don't think I could go back to segmented LED's.

The motu driver also supports loopback which I use way more than I thought I would.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleer ➡️
SSL2 or MOTU M2 ?
SSL2+ or MOTU M4 ?
I initially bought SSL, but Motu has lower latency, which too me is much more important than mic amps, so returned it and ordered Motu M4.
📝 Reply