Quantcast
AES 2019: Apogee Launches Clearmountain’s Domain Plugin - Page 7 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AES 2019: Apogee Launches Clearmountain’s Domain Plugin
Old 22nd March 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBlizz ➡️
Being a big fan of Bob Clearmountain, I tried the demo. Going through the 21 presets, I wonder how I will ever use this in my own productions. The presets are really signature sounds and even though it’s encouraged to make your own creations, I don’t think I have enough of a handle on this plugin to justify spending $175 on this.

The three impulse respons reverb lines and delay combination made me think of Overloud’s Rematrix from 2014, which I already own. No pitch shifting capabilities in the latter, but it does have 400 presets to get you started. I agree that more presets from Bob would be very welcome, or even some bread-and-boter presets that don’t immediately bring those unique 80s classic hits to mind. As it is now, I don’t see it getting a lot of use in my already large plugin collection.
I pretty much felt how you did. I put my cc back in my wallet.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK ➡️
I pretty much felt how you did. I put my cc back in my wallet.
Must confess there is not much need for the born in the USA snare drum these days..but do love fiddling around with it.
Presets..
house bound for a few weeks now, so might spend some time making up some bread and butter and more exotic presets..
if anyone else already has some do you want to share ?
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I downloaded it and played around with it some. Very 1980s Bob, fabulous sauce, but not very compatible with most of the meat I deal with. It would be educational, I'm sure, to dig into it and try to figure it out, but even 50% off is too steep for me.
Old 24th March 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagman18 ➡️
Must confess there is not much need for the born in the USA snare drum these days..but do love fiddling around with it.
Presets..
house bound for a few weeks now, so might spend some time making up some bread and butter and more exotic presets..
if anyone else already has some do you want to share ?
I'm working on some settings. If you have anything that works for you, please share.

I did the 2 week demo period, then declined to buy it outright. I tested quite a few other plugs, then bought the 50% off subscription deal. Very glad I did. Coming back to this after a break, the audio quality of this processor is very pristine and clear.

So far, I find it best as a vocal processing solution. The delay portion is very very very good. The reverbs are very good. This is a tool I will need to take a lot of time with, but I like that.
Old 25th March 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can_I_Crawl ➡️
I'm working on some settings. If you have anything that works for you, please share.

I did the 2 week demo period, then declined to buy it outright. I tested quite a few other plugs, then bought the 50% off subscription deal. Very glad I did. Coming back to this after a break, the audio quality of this processor is very pristine and clear.

So far, I find it best as a vocal processing solution. The delay portion is very very very good. The reverbs are very good. This is a tool I will need to take a lot of time with, but I like that.
I will do, not feeling 100percent just now but when I get back to it I will make a start.

its a great plugin surprised that others are a bit hmmm about it.. but each to there own
Old 31st May 2020
Gear Maniac

Apogee and Bob have launched a new plug in called spaces..
https://apogeedigital.com/products/c...untains-spaces

had a quick play with it and its a cut down version of domain with only the reverb section included with a few presets.

pretty cool.. if you dont have Domain but if you do there is nothing new here sadly.. But it does sound good and very quick and easy to use.. and reasonably priced too.

(I dont have any affiliation with Apogee, I wish I did lol.. )
Old 1st June 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Apogee and Bob have launched a new plug in called spaces..
https://apogeedigital.com/products/c...untains-spaces

had a quick play with it and its a cut down version of domain with only the reverb section included with a few presets.

pretty cool.. if you dont have Domain but if you do there is nothing new here sadly.. But it does sound good and very quick and easy to use.. and reasonably priced too.

(I dont have any affiliation with Apogee, I wish I did lol.. )

I have Domain but I decided to pick up Spaces anyway. Those are three great, errr, spaces in that little plugin and look to be much simpler to use with sends than trying to do it with the full Domain for when you don't need all the options on offer. Plus, Bob's a great guy, the price is low anyway, and there was another [almost] $5 off with the MWTM discount.
Old 27th June 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalimo ➡️
Cats are such A**hole they have all the space in the world but when ur doing something important at a particular location that’s were they want to be.
that's how cats roll..
when u'r reading the newspaper, they lay down on the newspaper.
Old 5th July 2020
Lives for gear

On sale now - 50% off.
Old 8th July 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 ➡️
On sale now - 50% off.
Last day today July 8th
Old 8th July 2020
Lives for gear

Decided not to buy just yet due to the fact Apogee's website won't allow the MWTM discount to be applied to the sale price.

This in effect means people without MWTM discount get it quite a bit cheaper on sale than the people who purchased it full price from them using MWTM discount.

I just think they should allow the voucher.
Old 12th July 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by play/record ➡️
Last day today July 8th
I missed it...again. Funny how Apogee sends all these promotions but for some reason decided not send an e-mail about this!
Old 12th July 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can_I_Crawl ➡️

This... I like it on vox and gtr
Old 12th July 2020
Gear Maniac

It does take a while to get your head around how it all works together.
But once you do get it, its really great for all the above, and for creating real depth and allowing instruments to sit back or upfront in a mix.
(Try adding the Hyde park or the Rolling stones live presets to erm "liven" up your mixes)

One thing I did do was to spend a lot of time creating my own presets for simple delays reverbs pitch shifting and more complicated multi effects and this saves a lot of time and helps to fully understand how it all works together.
Another nice feature is the randomise feature. Click on that if your looking for something weird or different.

Btw, there is no real need for the Spaces plug in as they are easy enough to create in Domain.
Infact, that is what I did do and can recall them and tweak them a lot more than what I can do in Spaces..

For 179 if you can get it at that rate, you will be hard pushed to find a better all rounder with some pretty unique features and sound quality.
This is one of the best plugins I have used and can't recommend it enough.. and in truth i am rather surprised there is not a lot more discussion about it on here..
(Again, I have NO affiliation with Apogee)
Old 20th July 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It does take a while to get your head around how it all works together.
But once you do get it, its really great for all the above, and for creating real depth and allowing instruments to sit back or upfront in a mix.
(Try adding the Hyde park or the Rolling stones live presets to erm "liven" up your mixes)

One thing I did do was to spend a lot of time creating my own presets for simple delays reverbs pitch shifting and more complicated multi effects and this saves a lot of time and helps to fully understand how it all works together.
Another nice feature is the randomise feature. Click on that if your looking for something weird or different.

Btw, there is no real need for the Spaces plug in as they are easy enough to create in Domain.
Infact, that is what I did do and can recall them and tweak them a lot more than what I can do in Spaces..

For 179 if you can get it at that rate, you will be hard pushed to find a better all rounder with some pretty unique features and sound quality.
This is one of the best plugins I have used and can't recommend it enough.. and in truth i am rather surprised there is not a lot more discussion about it on here..
(Again, I have NO affiliation with Apogee)
I plugged it into 2 mixes I did in the past that used delay , reverb and chorus on the vocal and removed those plugins and replaced them with just domain on an effects buss and was easily able to replicate the reverb and delay effects, but I couldnt get domain to do a chorus.. the sound quality of the reverb and delay is amazing.. better than the plugins I had used on the previous mixes and they weren't stock daw plugs, they were good sounding reputable plugins. But Clearmountain Domain sounds amazing..

I think too much emphasis was put on the recreated presets that sound exactly like the USA snare drum and the Bowie songs, Start Me Up, etc.. made it seem like an expensive preset box from the era of Lots Of REVERB... making people think 'I don't use that much reverb, and $350 is too much for a plugin I'm only going to use when I need too much reverb.' But that actually isnt the case... You can use very little and both the reverb and delay sound phenominal and the effects chain and mixer section make for some really nice nuances and variations that wouldn't be easy to achieve with separate plugins. And if you go to the Apogee website during holiday time, you will probably find that it's half price and selling at sugarwater and musician's pal.
Old 22nd July 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by play/record ➡️
I plugged it into 2 mixes I did in the past that used delay , reverb and chorus on the vocal and removed those plugins and replaced them with just domain on an effects buss and was easily able to replicate the reverb and delay effects, but I couldnt get domain to do a chorus.. the sound quality of the reverb and delay is amazing.. better than the plugins I had used on the previous mixes and they weren't stock daw plugs, they were good sounding reputable plugins. But Clearmountain Domain sounds amazing..

I think too much emphasis was put on the recreated presets that sound exactly like the USA snare drum and the Bowie songs, Start Me Up, etc.. made it seem like an expensive preset box from the era of Lots Of REVERB... making people think 'I don't use that much reverb, and $350 is too much for a plugin I'm only going to use when I need too much reverb.' But that actually isnt the case... You can use very little and both the reverb and delay sound phenominal and the effects chain and mixer section make for some really nice nuances and variations that wouldn't be easy to achieve with separate plugins. And if you go to the Apogee website during holiday time, you will probably find that it's half price and selling at sugarwater and musician's pal.
More presets created by Bob would be welcomed. Maybe presets representing a few things he would use in a mix in 2020.

The best presets in there for me are the Bryan Adams tracks. Long delay times, but very quick and easy to put those where you need them.
Old 3rd March 2021
Gear Maniac

I am having an issue with the domain and wonder if anyone else who uses it, can verify the same is happening on their rig as well?

When Domain first came out the Delay Pitch Shift faders opened up at sensible and seemed to be the correct positions.
Since the update last year, the faders seem to open at the wrong or extreme positions.

For example the default setting.
When this is opened the Delay Pitch Shift Faders are both set to -50cents instead of 0.

Can other users confirm that is the case and other presets are opening with what appears to be erratic and extreme Delay Pitch Shift Fader positions.
And in some cases your own patches, are the faders are not opening in the correct positions?

(I have contacted and discussed the problem with Apogee support and they seem as stumped as me, as to why this seems to be happening)

In summary, can other uses confirm that the Delay Pitch Shift faders are indeed opening in strange and random positions since the update?

Thanks,

(Logic 10.5.1 and Mojavie rig)
Old 3rd March 2021 | Show parent
M2E
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I am having an issue with the domain and wonder if anyone else who uses it, can verify the same is happening on their rig as well?

When Domain first came out the Delay Pitch Shift faders opened up at sensible and seemed to be the correct positions.
Since the update last year, the faders seem to open at the wrong or extreme positions.

For example the default setting.
When this is opened the Delay Pitch Shift Faders are both set to -50cents instead of 0.

Can other users confirm that is the case and other presets are opening with what appears to be erratic and extreme Delay Pitch Shift Fader positions.
And in some cases your own patches, are the faders are not opening in the correct positions?

(I have contacted and discussed the problem with Apogee support and they seem as stumped as me, as to why this seems to be happening)

In summary, can other uses confirm that the Delay Pitch Shift faders are indeed opening in strange and random positions since the update?

Thanks,

(Logic 10.5.1 and Mojavie rig)
Hey Jagman18, not sure as I don't currently own that plugin but I do own the "Spaces" plugin and that seems to work fine.
That's an easy work around as you can set up a preset that you pull up everytime you pull up the plugin with the way you like it and that would solve it. I do that to all my plugins I currently use as I have certain settings for most of them.

Hope this helps, Marc
Gear Maniac

Hello Marc, and thanks for getting back to me.

I did do that before the update and since then that is when the issue appeared.
Apogee tech support sent me a clean set of presets and I installed them and the problem is still there and seems to happen at random times.

The real issue seems to be that for whatever reason either opening or saving presets the faders just open at extreme setting and not what they should be. But again, it might be my rig and set up and just wanted to confirm if it was my rig or indeed other users are having the same issue?

Best regards..
M2E
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hello Marc, and thanks for getting back to me.

I did do that before the update and since then that is when the issue appeared.
Apogee tech support sent me a clean set of presets and I installed them and the problem is still there and seems to happen at random times.

The real issue seems to be that for whatever reason either opening or saving presets the faders just open at extreme setting and not what they should be. But again, it might be my rig and set up and just wanted to confirm if it was my rig or indeed other users are having the same issue?

Best regards..
Hmmmm, I would ask Apogee for the installer before the latest that you installed. I always keep all my installers just in case. Learned that from beta testing all these plugins. LOL

I hope this helps, Marc
Gear Maniac

Thats a good idea, I will ask them for the old version and see how it works with that.

THanks.
Old 9th March 2021
Gear Maniac

Quick update on this.
I followed Marc's advice and tested the presets between version 1.1.0 and 1.1.6 (current version)

There are indeed a number differences between the presets in both versions.

For example - The default preset

in Version 1.1.0 Both Delay Pitch Shift faders opened at 0 Cents
In version 1.1.6 Both Delay Pitch Shift faders opened at -50 cents

This is true with other presets between the two versions where they Delay Pitch shift faders are not opening in the correct positions.

I have reported all this to Apogee and they are looking into it.

Is any one who uses this, really not finding the same thing has happened since the update to 1.1.6?
📝 Reply