The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Burl BAD4M / BMB6
Old 30th September 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hardware Burl BAD4M / BMB6

BURL Audio is releasing 2 new cards for the B80 and B16 MOTHERSHIPs this fall.

Announcing the BAD4M, a mastering grade, 4-channel ADC daughter card for the B80 and B16 MOTHERSHIP with stepped attenuators and switchable input transformers. Specifically designed for mixing and mastering, the BAD4M uses the latest BURL NextGen analog technology for superior fidelity and clarity.

Also announcing the BMB6. The BMB6 features 8 channels of AES/EBU I/O connectivity. Designed exclusively for the B16, the BMB6 provides an easy interface to any AES/EBU device. If you don’t need high channel count, the B16 with the BMB6 is a great way to go.
Old 30th September 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yay Burl!
Old 2nd October 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Which AES card is compatible? RME AESe 16?
Thanks
Old 2nd October 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by firubbi ➡️
Which AES card is compatible? RME AESe 16?
Thanks
It will work with both AES cards. You can't go wrong with either.

I got word from @burlaudio on IG that the BMB6 is exclusive to the B16 and will not work with the B80.
Old 27th October 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

Old 26th November 2019
Lives for gear

In a mastering context I compared my standard BAD4 input (same circuit as B2 ADC sans attenuator) vs the BAD4M with no jumpers set. My BAD4M has one pair of BOPA14 op amps and one pair of BOPA11.

BAD4M/BX1 sounds fairly close to the BAD4 with a similar bottom end, slightly less of the BAD4's full low mid roundness, but crisper highs. More snap in the snare, more sibilance. Different transformer sound, but very nice. I believe this is the same sound as the BAD8 which I have never heard.

BAD4M/BOPA11 sounds tight/punchy in the lows but obviously less power down there than BX1. Crispy highs and relatively scooped mids.

BAD4M/BOPA14 sounds similar to BOPA11 but with a little more of a midrange focus and a little less top end. Still plenty of clarity and nice balance. 'Liking this a lot.

All of these sound fantastic in different ways.

I noticed that every time I switched to either of the transformer options (BAD4M/BX1 or BAD4) I automatically wanted to move to the music more than with either of the op amp options. They've got "groove factor". The width/depth is nicer. They are my initial favorites. Though there's nothing I can criticize about the op amp options, they sound fantastic. I bet for different genres different options might win out.

BAD4M/BX1 seems like a really great overall sound because it has the groove factor and more clarity in the highs than the BAD4. But the BAD4 is such a badass in the mids, and it's smoothness in the highs is so un-fatiguing...

I think a lot of people will prefer the op amp flavors for various reasons. It'll depend on the application and their tastes. Some people are high frequency focused and the crisper the better for them. To me it's the mids and lows where the emotion is in music...

Having all these awesome options at my fingertips is really nice. And of course the attenuators!

Last edited by Trakworx; 26th November 2019 at 06:57 PM..
Old 23rd May 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx ➡️
In a mastering context I compared my standard BAD4 input (same circuit as B2 ADC sans attenuator) vs the BAD4M with no jumpers set. My BAD4M has one pair of BOPA14 op amps and one pair of BOPA11.

BAD4M/BX1 sounds fairly close to the BAD4 with a similar bottom end, slightly less of the BAD4's full low mid roundness, but crisper highs. More snap in the snare, more sibilance. Different transformer sound, but very nice. I believe this is the same sound as the BAD8 which I have never heard.

BAD4M/BOPA11 sounds tight/punchy in the lows but obviously less power down there than BX1. Crispy highs and relatively scooped mids.

BAD4M/BOPA14 sounds similar to BOPA11 but with a little more of a midrange focus and a little less top end. Still plenty of clarity and nice balance. 'Liking this a lot.

All of these sound fantastic in different ways.

I noticed that every time I switched to either of the transformer options (BAD4M/BX1 or BAD4) I automatically wanted to move to the music more than with either of the op amp options. They've got "groove factor". The width/depth is nicer. They are my initial favorites. Though there's nothing I can criticize about the op amp options, they sound fantastic. I bet for different genres different options might win out.

BAD4M/BX1 seems like a really great overall sound because it has the groove factor and more clarity in the highs than the BAD4. But the BAD4 is such a badass in the mids, and it's smoothness in the highs is so un-fatiguing...

I think a lot of people will prefer the op amp flavors for various reasons. It'll depend on the application and their tastes. Some people are high frequency focused and the crisper the better for them. To me it's the mids and lows where the emotion is in music...

Having all these awesome options at my fingertips is really nice. And of course the attenuators!
I agree with most of what you said. I own a B2, and the Bad4m (both sets of Ops as well).

I run a small Dante rig with all burl conversion, but every pair of converters I have set differently for the very reason you mentioned above.

For most vocal mics: b2 seems to win
For bass: b2 seems to win
For electric guitars: the bad4m with op14’s
For acoustic guitars: the bad4m with bx1 engaged

It’s a perfect set up to tweak your signal chain one last time before you go in. I realize this thing was meant for mastering, but it’s a BAD ASS tracking converter, can really sculpt anything you give it by hitting the tranny or op amp at the right level.
Old 23rd May 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
for those that pulled the trigger... How is the conversion for masters? im currently shopping for an AD converter but the Hilo is in the way.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skamm Goodiez ➡️
for those that pulled the trigger... How is the conversion for masters? im currently shopping for an AD converter but the Hilo is in the way.
I have had lynx (not Hilo) converters before, and would not go back. That being said, it’d be interesting to hear a back to back bad4m/Hilo.

The main thing the bad4m has over all the other options out there is the fact that they’ve created 3 tonal options at your finger tips. And it’s not some filter or whatever, it’s actually altering the circuit so you can make a quick decision at the moment of printing.

Have you ever owned any burl conversion before?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➡️
I have had lynx (not Hilo) converters before, and would not go back. That being said, it’d be interesting to hear a back to back bad4m/Hilo.

The main thing the bad4m has over all the other options out there is the fact that they’ve created 3 tonal options at your finger tips. And it’s not some filter or whatever, it’s actually altering the circuit so you can make a quick decision at the moment of printing.

Have you ever owned any burl conversion before?
I have a B80 with 2 BAD4s, 2 BDA8s and a BDA4M. I'm currently using the BAD4 as my main AD but I'm looking for a cleaner/dedicated solution.
Old 24th May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have a B80 with 2 BAD4s, 2 BDA8s and a BDA4M. I'm currently using the BAD4 as my main AD but I'm looking for a cleaner/dedicated solution.
Since you already have the B80, the BAD4M is a no brainer. Cheaper than buying a whole other unit and capable of a variety of sonic options (as I described above). Clean when you want it to be. Vibey when you want it to be.
Old 24th May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx ➡️
Since you already have the B80, the BAD4M is a no brainer. Cheaper than buying a whole other unit and capable of a variety of sonic options (as I described above). Clean when you want it to be. Vibey when you want it to be.
Say no more. I will grab one.
Old 12th December 2020
Lives for gear

Did you guys get BAD4M? And BDA4M? If so, how has it been with them?
Old 13th December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
got both. Great purchase!
Old 14th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
got both. Great purchase!
I've checked you "My Studio" and saw that you have BAD4 and BAD8 as well.

How they compare to BAD4M?

Have you ever tried any converter known for extreme clearness, like Lynx Hilo or Merging Technologies converters?
Old 14th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
havent tried Hilo or MT
But the BAD4M with no Tranny is clean as hell VS the BAD4

I don't have nor tried the bad8

BDA4M is very transparent too
📝 Reply