Quantcast
AES 2019: Daking Introduces The MKII Recording Console, AES Booth #225 - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AES 2019: Daking Introduces The MKII Recording Console, AES Booth #225
Old 21st October 2019 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonater ➡️
Congrats, Geoff!

Question: Is there a fader just prior to the "recording button"? I know you mention Mic Pre, Compress, EQ, etc, but you don't mention a fader (to control level going into the recording). You do mention using the big faders on playback but I just wondered about recording level.
Hello there,

The system doesn't have per say a "Small Fader" Due t0 the size of our design goals and the extra amplifiers it entails. However the Mic pre switch is in 5 DB increments and the makeup gain on the compressor/limiter section has a 20 DB range. So if you like riding to tape or the DAW you can easily engage the compressor section and ride away. In addition, you can always take any unused input and press the Insert return to direct out button, and now the 100mm fader will control the level to the direct output "IE Post Fader" so you have a fader to "ride" the levels to tape.

I hope this answers your question.
Geoff.
Old 22nd October 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffdake ➡️
Hello there,

The system doesn't have per say a "Small Fader" Due t0 the size of our design goals and the extra amplifiers it entails. However the Mic pre switch is in 5 DB increments and the makeup gain on the compressor/limiter section has a 20 DB range. So if you like riding to tape or the DAW you can easily engage the compressor section and ride away. In addition, you can always take any unused input and press the Insert return to direct out button, and now the 100mm fader will control the level to the direct output "IE Post Fader" so you have a fader to "ride" the levels to tape.

I hope this answers your question.
Geoff.
Definitely the right call on keeping extra buffer amplifiers down. The fewer stages the signal goes through the sweeter the sound. Or at least that is in my experience. Proper design proper implementation equals proper sound. I wish more people would appreciate that philosophy. Wonderful job
Old 6th November 2019 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Music Tech Video.

Thanks to our helper Skip Burrows for doing the interview at the booth. Hope you enjoy it...

Thanks

Geoff...

Old 30th January 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
PLEASE VISIT DAKING AUDIO AT AES BOOTH #225, AND
REGISTER TO WIN A DAKING MIC-PRE ONE

INFORMATION ON RAFFLE BELOW

Daking Audio Presents

The Daking MKII

Recording Console

Daking Designs is proud to show at the 147th AES booth #225, the Daking MKII large format recording console. A no compromise design that’s both modern and classic. The heart of this beautiful centerpiece boasts a class A transformer coupled signal path that uses discrete single ended amplifiers. This unique approach provides an audio path that has un-measurable crossover distortion and incredible headroom. The MKII features a powerful compressor/limiter on every channel, a tuned inductor based EQ with high and low pass filters. Six aux sends with pre/post switches, along with an eight-buss matrix provide users with unparalleled signal routing.

Console Key Features

* Transformer Coupled Class A Inputs
* Compressor Limiter on Every Channel
* 4 Band EQ with Inductive Mid-Range High & Low Pass Filters
* VU Meters with Assignable Sources
* Expandable Frame Sizes In 16 Channel Increments
* Comprehensive Cue and Studio out Facilities
* Integrated Patch-Bay
* 6 Aux Sends Switch-able Pre/Post
* Unrivaled Routing Flexibility
* Selectable Feed-Forward/Feed-Back Compressor
* Master Section can be Located on left or right
* Sophisticated Solo and Mute System
* Fader can be bypassed to Pre-Set Level
* In-line Channel Design Features 2 Inputs Per Channel
* Custom Console Colors are Available
* A 16 Channel Console has 46 Inputs to Mix
PLEASE VISIT www.daking.com for more information

TWO CHANCES TO WIN THE MIC-PRE ONE.
DRAWING-OCT. 18TH @ 4:00PM
DRAWING-OCT. 19TH @ 2:00PM
MUST BE PRESENT TO WIN
and SHOW IDENTIFICATION

My only issue with this console is you can't eq into the compressor! The compressor is BEFORE THE EQ. You can filter before the compressor, but not eq before it.. I don't know what the designer was thinking.. When I mentioned this to him at the show, he got loud and said he did it the "right" way.. OK I said.. cheers..
Old 30th January 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelAngelo ➡️
My only issue with this console is you can't eq into the compressor! The compressor is BEFORE THE EQ. You can filter before the compressor, but not eq before it.. I don't know what the designer was thinking.. When I mentioned this to him at the show, he got loud and said he did it the "right" way.. OK I said.. cheers..
innit ridiculous (or actually rather sad)?

i'm seriously looking at replacing my old mci desk...

(so i'm not talking about getting my favourite flavour of a bonsai desk for occasional home use but a large desk for serious production in a pro studio)

...with a current design analog desk so this one might be a serious contender (i thought...) - however, i'd expect a modern analog desk to offer more flexibitity in terms of switching/routing/signal flow options: inserts pre/post eq, pre/post dynamics, pre/post faders, upper/lower fader; same goes for what you just mentioned (and a few more things i find to be manadatory).

i'm not belitteling the achievements of some of the designers but if they want me to spend money on their gear, they better offer more flexible desks and leave things up to me how i want to mess with my signal flow!

too bad i (currently) can't find any new analog desk which gets close to my needs so as it looks right now, my next desk will be a(nother) digital desk...
Old 30th January 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➡️
innit ridiculous (or actually rather sad)?

i'm seriously looking at replacing my old mci desk...

(so i'm not talking about getting my favourite flavour of a bonsai desk for occasional home use but a large desk for serious production in a pro studio)

...with a current design analog desk so this one might be a serious contender (i thought...) - however, i'd expect a modern analog desk to offer more flexibitity in terms of switching/routing/signal flow options: inserts pre/post eq, pre/post dynamics, pre/post faders, upper/lower fader; same goes for what you just mentioned (and a few more things i find to be manadatory).

i'm not belitteling the achievements of some of the designers but if they want me to spend money on their gear, they better offer more flexible desks and leave things up to me how i want to mess with my signal flow!

too bad i (currently) can't find any new analog desk which gets close to my needs so as it looks right now, my next desk will be a(nother) digital desk...
Good Day,
Just saw this reply and for some reason didn't get to it..
We fixed the routing from Pre/Line In/Filter/Comp/EQ/Filter as it a more traditional method of working. The routing flexibility is very very sophisticated. However something to mention is other desks in this price range don't have any dynamics included nor a patch-bay or any of the center section facilities we include. We have even included Key inputing on the dynamics so all sorts of creative compression is possible. Our design goals have always been sonics and serviceability first. Adding the switching for Pre/Post EQ/Dynamics/Filter adds a load of complication that can and does compromise our primary design goals. We are also (to my knowledge) the only single ended Class A large format console currently manufactured. This really make a massive difference in overall sound quality. Even the wife hears it instantly. Ha Ha.Please feel free to call and ask any questions.

Happy Trails,
Geoff
Old 31st January 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Good Day,
Just saw this reply and for some reason didn't get to it..
We fixed the routing from Pre/Line In/Filter/Comp/EQ/Filter as it a more traditional method of working. The routing flexibility is very very sophisticated. However something to mention is other desks in this price range don't have any dynamics included nor a patch-bay or any of the center section facilities we include. We have even included Key inputing on the dynamics so all sorts of creative compression is possible. Our design goals have always been sonics and serviceability first. Adding the switching for Pre/Post EQ/Dynamics/Filter adds a load of complication that can and does compromise our primary design goals. We are also (to my knowledge) the only single ended Class A large format console currently manufactured. This really make a massive difference in overall sound quality. Even the wife hears it instantly. Ha Ha.Please feel free to call and ask any questions.

Happy Trails,
Geoff
hi

thx for getting back to me. as you can see from my post, the desk i've been using (mci jh536 from 1978 to be precise) isn't exactly a low performer (and although being quite an old design, in many ways outperforms most existing desks; in some ways even your current design). having spent about 35 years behind it (and many other desks), i have a pretty clear idea on my needs - which is what i outligned above (in an admittedly slighty sarcastic tone, comparing my needs to the design limitations of most any analog desk).

it's also clear that from the point of view of a designer/manufacturer, things can look slightly different; ideally, a manufacturer and a customer then find ways to meet somewhere halfway, by offering modifications to an existing design (at extra cost), without compromising the original design too much.

getting loud (as another poster mentioned) however imo is not what i consider to be an appropriate reaction when getting challenged, not even on a hectic show floor at viet-namm! THIS is what bugs me more than the fact that you choose a specific design (which certainly will please most customers but so far misses out on my needs).

now IF you tell me (and maybe would have told the other poster) that modifications could be done and you'd outline at what costs (both in terms of money and sound quality), there is a chance you might win me (or him) back - until then, i'm closer to getting another digital desk which allows for all kind of weird routing which you may consider unnecessary yet i enjoy having (and use them)...

cheers,

dd

p.s. why call it a 'recording' console? i'm sure folks will use it for both tracking and mixing and not too many younger engineers use dynamics on the way in, so why not 'production' console?
Old 1st February 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
hi

thx for getting back to me. as you can see from my post, the desk i've been using (mci jh536 from 1978 to be precise) isn't exactly a low performer (and although being quite an old design, in many ways outperforms most existing desks; in some ways even your current design). having spent about 35 years behind it (and many other desks), i have a pretty clear idea on my needs - which is what i outligned above (in an admittedly slighty sarcastic tone, comparing my needs to the design limitations of most any analog desk).

it's also clear that from the point of view of a designer/manufacturer, things can look slightly different; ideally, a manufacturer and a customer then find ways to meet somewhere halfway, by offering modifications to an existing design (at extra cost), without compromising the original design too much.

getting loud (as another poster mentioned) however imo is not what i consider to be an appropriate reaction when getting challenged, not even on a hectic show floor at viet-namm! THIS is what bugs me more than the fact that you choose a specific design (which certainly will please most customers but so far misses out on my needs).

now IF you tell me (and maybe would have told the other poster) that modifications could be done and you'd outline at what costs (both in terms of money and sound quality), there is a chance you might win me (or him) back - until then, i'm closer to getting another digital desk which allows for all kind of weird routing which you may consider unnecessary yet i enjoy having (and use them)...

cheers,

dd

p.s. why call it a 'recording' console? i'm sure folks will use it for both tracking and mixing and not too many younger engineers use dynamics on the way in, so why not 'production' console?
Hi There...
I loved the Old MCI consoles,
However our design WAY!!! out performs it on a sound quality level. The routing in the MCI is really killer for a desk using those designs. However our Class A designs are IMVHO are in another league sonically. Also our center section is perhaps one of the best currently manufactured anywhere, even on consoles costing twice as much. I wanted to circle back to the processing order if you could kindly indulge me. All of our switching is done with high quality relays. So when you press a switch for even the PHASE reverse, the audio goes through a relay. So with every function utilizing relays, our board is rather tight. We ran some prototypes with audio going through the actual switches like some of our competitors do, and it just didn't have the quality we were striving for. If we did do everything for processing order with relays our module would need to increase in size and require to go to an 8 layer circuit board. This proved to be a bit unreliable per our original design goals of producing a console that will hopefully be a 30 years plus investment, something a digital console/control surface could never achieve. In the end when folks compare our MKII design with others on the market we come out IMVHO way ahead in terms of sound quality, serviceability, and reliability and features. In addition our routing design is unbelievably flexible. Every one who uses it can't believe all the amazing things you can do with it and do it extremely fast. Please check out our ONLINE BROCHURE( http://www.daking.com/wp-content/upl...0-White-PB.pdf) It shows some of the details of our design.

Thanks for letting me speak/type..
All the Best...
Geoff
Old 2nd February 2020
Gear Maniac

I think this is a brilliant desk. So well thought out for a modern tracking room centered around a DAW. I find the EQ frequencies to be exactly where I would want them, the routing powerful and flexible, and the size to be "just right". For a 16ch console, the addition of the little 8ch submitter just explodes its usefulness, and with 46 inputs to mix, it is more than capable for a room that has 16-24 preamps/converter channels. I also like that it comes with a patch bay and beautiful hardwood desk that integrates the DAW screen intelligently with space to work. The desk is clearly put together by people who have run recording sessions and optimized for practicality. To the degree that a console represents a workflow decision, I find this one highly aligned.
Old 22nd February 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
p.s. why call it a 'recording' console?
I still am amazed that there seem to be almost no dedicated 'mix' consoles. Am I the only one that really doesn't want mic pres onboard?

I just want to monitor the outputs from the recorder (a.k.a. Pro Tools), with lots of stereo groups and stereo aux sends, and balanced inserts. I can even see the logic of no EQ. Add fader and mute automation and I'm done!
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos147 ➡️
I still am amazed that there seem to be almost no dedicated 'mix' consoles.
Quote:
Am I the only one that really doesn't want mic pres onboard?

I just want to monitor the outputs from the recorder (a.k.a. Pro Tools), with lots of stereo groups and stereo aux sends, and balanced inserts. I can even see the logic of no EQ. Add fader and mute automation and I'm done!
no!

i have said for years, godd quality conlse with lines in's is what is needed.
persanaly i don't the EQ's.
i do want the inserts points and the auxs.
lots of bussing.
and yes on the sterio chanal strips.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos147 ➡️
I still am amazed that there seem to be almost no dedicated 'mix' consoles. Am I the only one that really doesn't want mic pres onboard?

Sounds like you want an SSL Sigma. A mixbus with automation?

Or maybe a Zaehl AM1? That lacks preamps, has stereo channels, but does have excellent EQ.

But this is a recording console and designed for tracking. Mic pres are good. I have 16 external preamps, and would likely keep them with this console installed. There is significant value in a consistent sound across an album, and value in having other choices.

One of the brilliant things about this console is the 8 stereo returns. It is like having a synth submixer built right into the console. This console works for all the typical acoustic/electric instruments, and still has room to patch in a bunch of hardware synths and have full access to the busses! It is very cleverly designed.
Old 23rd February 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by niversen ➡️

Or maybe a Zaehl AM1? That lacks preamps, has stereo channels, but does have excellent EQ.
Of those two, the Zaehl is closer. The SSL Sigma lacks the group busses.

Personally, I am pretty well served by my console. I have 4 stereo groups, 4 stereo (or 8 mono) aux sends, and inserts on every channel and groups. All balanced. I just lack fader automation.

But, yes, Daking is a recording console. Sorry for derailing the thread!
Old 23rd February 2020 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by niversen ➡️

the Zaehl AM1 looks interesting.
SSL Sigma looks week.

i think there a couple others but it should be more widely concedered with any oc these companies.

as well, i am not shopping for a console i am fine with mine.
📝 Reply