Quantcast
AES 2019: CB Electronics introduces XPatch-32 digitally controlled analogue patchbay - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AES 2019: CB Electronics introduces XPatch-32 digitally controlled analogue patchbay
Old 6th December 2019 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by manymanyhaha ➡️
I think if you are serious about the XPatch being flexible enough to be utilized for performance as well as a studio patchbay, you should have the maximum 128 snapshots allowed by midi (0-127).

If I am understanding the dilemma correctly, I think output bypass would be fine. So assignable CC's for 32 Mutes and 32 output Bypasses would go a long way towards making this a performance machine.

I'm not sure I understand the mono/stereo question. Is each channel able to be mono and stereo (stereo with a trs cable)? If so, I did not realize that!

Hadn't thought about the input problem. 16 is a lot of guitar inputs! I know for my purposes, I'd only need two but can't speak for others! Or are those 16 of the 32 and they are exclusively for guitar pedals? I don't think I am understanding.
Snapshots
128 snapshots are possible but if selected by a foot pedal then 128 different snapshots would be difficult to manage. If selected by a computer then any number can be stored in the computer.

Stereo
Channels are Mono but can be linked for stereo operation when using the paths to define the routing.

Optional MI inputs
Although there are two High impedance inputs on the front panel, the problem comes when connecting multiple pedals. The optional high input impedance cards are the same as the standard input cards but have FET buffers on the balanced inputs allowing them to be used with the pedals.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBElectronics ➡️
Snapshots
128 snapshots are possible but if selected by a foot pedal then 128 different snapshots would be difficult to manage. If selected by a computer then any number can be stored in the computer.

Stereo
Channels are Mono but can be linked for stereo operation when using the paths to define the routing.

Optional MI inputs
Although there are two High impedance inputs on the front panel, the problem comes when connecting multiple pedals. The optional high input impedance cards are the same as the standard input cards but have FET buffers on the balanced inputs allowing them to be used with the pedals.
I'm not sure I understand. I thought each Snapshot was selectable by Midi PC command, no? If so, what difference does it make where that PC command comes from (computer or foot controller)?

If each channel can be linked, doesn't that linking solve that problem? Or no?

So the max guitar pedals would be 16?

Thanks for your time in answering these questions
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by manymanyhaha ➡️
I'm not sure I understand. I thought each Snapshot was selectable by Midi PC command, no? If so, what difference does it make where that PC command comes from (computer or foot controller)?

If each channel can be linked, doesn't that linking solve that problem? Or no?

So the max guitar pedals would be 16?

Thanks for your time in answering these questions
Snapshots
There is a simple foot switch input on the front that can also be used to step through the snapshots; 128 would make this difficult. The answer could be to increase the number of snapshots stored in the XPatch-32 but limit the foot switch to the first 16. The snapshots include both the routing and gain settings. The gain can also be controlled by midi.

Stereo
The channels may be linked only in the paths but a stereo unit can also be used as two mono units on different snapshots.

Guitar Pedals
With two high impedance cards you can have a maximum of 18 pedals (16+2 on the front) but there is nothing to stop requesting 3 or even 4, 3 would increase this to 26.

I welcome user feedback - Hence the new High Impedance input cards and the 5 pin Din Midi control input, after user feedback.
Old 11th December 2019
Gear Head

XPatch-32 with Console Example

XPatch-32 with Console Example

Setup file included with XPatch Software download. Give it a Try!

Old 11th December 2019
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I’m assuming it’s possible to use 2 units sized by side to accommodate more IO than 32 IO? Are they identified as a 64X64 system or 2 separate 32x32. Thanks
Old 27th January 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Applications for the CB Electronics XPATCH-32

Paul Drew from The Studio Rats has done a great video of the XPatch-32 in his studio and how he uses it to speed up his work flow, and get more creative.

Learn More!

https://www.cbelectronics.co.uk/xpatch-32
Old 9th March 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Around 3x out of my budget so ill wait for the competition to catch up.

Will 100% get a similar product one day.
Old 9th March 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by deleted user ➡️
Hi Colin, not sure if you appreciate my presence here. I wonder what your motives are for choosing the 75019 over the 8113. We also picked the 75019 because it is more suitable for multi staging. That it also costs less was not crucial for that decision but it is a nice benefit of course. When looking at the specs of the 8113 the reflex would be to consider that as the superior option and go with it. We stayed away from it because it has redundant active circuitry which causes a significant bunch of heat that gives you nothing in return, it is just hot. More worse it has a gain of 2, so through all stages 6dB is dropped and added again. Did you had the same thoughts about it?
Do you make a similar product?
Old 9th March 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Hi Colin, not sure if you appreciate my presence here. I wonder what your motives are for choosing the 75019 over the 8113. We also picked the 75019 because it is more suitable for multi staging. That it also costs less was not crucial for that decision but it is a nice benefit of course. When looking at the specs of the 8113 the reflex would be to consider that as the superior option and go with it. We stayed away from it because it has redundant active circuitry which causes a significant bunch of heat that gives you nothing in return, it is just hot. More worse it has a gain of 2, so through all stages 6dB is dropped and added again. Did you had the same thoughts about it?
Hi No problem with your presence, we decided on the 75019 for much the same reasons as you. Having made the choice you go with it! I like the simplicity of your approach!

We use the same I/O boards as used in our studio monitoring products the A-Mon and I-Mon. This gave us I/O gain control and Muting with"Clickless" Zero Crossing switching.

The main effort has been on the Mac/Windows GUI for the user interface.

We adapted the OSC interface from the TMC-1 and integrated this with the GUI to provide remote control from Tablets and Phones.
Old 30th April 2020
Gear Head

A nice quote from Paul Drew!

A nice quote from Paul Drew!

LEARN MORE: https://www.cbelectronics.co.uk/xpatch-32

Old 5th May 2020
Gear Head

(“click-less”) zero crossing switching

Old 13th May 2020
Gear Head

A great comment from one our customers!

A great comment from one our customers!

“I’m a fan of CB Electronics!!!

Colin’s attention to detail and his enthusiasm to come up with custom solutions makes him my go to!

I have the TMC-1 S6 and my latest addition is the XPatch-32, picked it over the competition due to some key features not available elsewhere.

The gain control was the biggest factor for me, and being able to do that in the box, wow! I have several vintage outboard that with this feature helps keep things in the “sweet spot”.

Also as a stand-alone with front panel control is a very nice touch when on my remote gigs. I’m in broadcast so these features are integral for repeatability.

This has made a huge impact on being spontaneous trying different recording and mixing chains. Just ridiculous!!! “

Philip Galaura Studio Manager at Educational Media Foundation K-LOVE & Air1 Media Networks

LEARN MORE: https://www.cbelectronics.co.uk/xpatch-32

Old 22nd May 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
We benchmarked a multi-staged AD8113 based router against ours, it seems we both made the right decision by going with the AD75019. Congrats
Thanks for letting me know - good to have it confirmed! Keep Well Colin
Old 6th July 2020
Gear Head

New XPatch2 Software for XPatch 32 and XPatch 64

Introducing XPatch2 software for the XPatch-32 and XPatch-64.

Showing how to set up the program for the XPatch-32 or XPatch-64 and a quick look at the various screens.

Loading an equipment list and using the Paths page.

How to change the Language - currently only English, French and German are available.

Old 22nd January 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Not being able to connect preamp inputs and microphones is really holding me back from buying.
@ CBElectronics I read that you strongly feel the signals shouldnt be mixed. But I'm sure there are many potential buyers that want you to solve that technicality, like Anatal and Flock have?

My mics either have their own power supply or are given 48v by supplies in the studio. By eliminating the need to deal with 48v on the patch bay surely the xpatch could be modified, perhaps on 16 inputs, to have the correct circuit for mic signals.
Old 23rd January 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Just to clarify, if it could 16 inputs to connect with microphones (not necessarily supplying phantom power, it's easy to do that externally) and also have 16 mic signal level outputs to patch into mic pre inputs so that they can still interact with impedance etc.

ie option for 16x16 i/o, isolated mic level signal io with no active electronics? If thats the best way to deal with mic signal levels and impedance matching.
Old 24th January 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcslaam ➡️
Just to clarify, if it could 16 inputs to connect with microphones (not necessarily supplying phantom power, it's easy to do that externally) and also have 16 mic signal level outputs to patch into mic pre inputs so that they can still interact with impedance etc.

ie option for 16x16 i/o, isolated mic level signal io with no active electronics? If thats the best way to deal with mic signal levels and impedance matching.
There are two main reasons for not mixing Mic and Line level signals in anElectronic patch bay.
1) Noise, When designing a Mic-Pre the input stage should have sufficient gain that any noise contributed by following stages is insignificant. If the Mic amp is after the Patch this is not possible. Best to use an external Mic Amp before the patch.
2) Crosstalk, mixing line level and mic level signals in any patch bay will compromise the crosstalk performance.

The best compromise would seem to be to use the Anatal patch (Routing without any active amplifiers in the signal path) for Mic signals only and a separate patch for line level signals.
Old 4th May 2021
News Desk Editor

🎧 15 years
London, UK - May 4, 2021 - To help our customers through the Covid-19 pandemic CB Electronics extended their introductory / limited Number price for the XPatch-32 and XPatch-64

This offer will end on the 31st of May 2021.

Order by the 31st of May 2021 to get the current offer price.

XPatch-32 £1800 ex VAT
XPatch-64 £3,800 ex VAT
Price after 31st of May 2021

XPatch-32 £2000 ex VAT
XPatch-64 £4,200 ex VAT

Old 8th May 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcslaam ➡️

There is no problem if you have Mic Amps before the inputs. We could design the XPatch is modular, we currently have three different input cards and could add a Mic Input Card with fixed 30dB of gain if this is of interest. This would solve reservations that we have with regards to noise and crosstalk. Contact us directly if you wish to explore this.
📝 Reply