The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Line 6 Amp Farm 4
Old 23rd August 2019
  #1
Lives for gear
 
World Studios's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Line 6 Amp Farm 4

https://line6.com/amp-farm/

It is finally here. They even kept the blatantly outdated and ugly GUI. Does it still have a place in the overcrowded ampsim market?

I used it a lot when I was on my TDM system but that wa a long time ago... Those, like me, who still have a license for it, can get it for 49 dollars. Luckily it restores old TDM version settings, so it might be worth it just to be able to recall old sessions.
Old 23rd August 2019
  #2
Deleted 0ef17a0
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Studios ➡️
Does it still have a place in the overcrowded ampsim market?
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Studios ➡️
Those, like me, who still have a license for it, can get it for 49 dollars.
I think I have about 8 TDM licenses for it.

I'd still put down $25 on you spending $49 before me to find out.

Hate abandon-ware. TC-Finalizer... same shtick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Studios ➡️
Luckily it restores old TDM version settings, so it might be worth it just to be able to recall old sessions.
I overcame that years ago... and froze a couple systems in time, because of jerks like this!

Hopefully they've added a few tricks from their Axe FX stuff... or else... what's the point? $49?

Fool me thrice? Shame on... wat? How does it go again?
Old 23rd August 2019
  #3
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Yay. I love amp farm. Classic, vintage code
Old 23rd August 2019 | Show parent
  #4
Lives for gear
 
World Studios's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs ➡️
I think I have about 8 TDM licenses for it.

I'd still put down $25 on you spending $49 before me to find out.

Hate abandon-ware. TC-Finalizer... same shtick!


I overcame that years ago... and froze a couple systems in time, because of jerks like this!

Hopefully they've added a few tricks from their Axe FX stuff... or else... what's the point? $49?

Fool me thrice? Shame on... wat? How does it go again?
Well, now finally you can sell some of those licenses to someone who wants to get this on the cheap. :D Yo could easily get 25 dollars each. :D:D

Axe FX... Thats a stretch. If they added some of their Helix stuff, that would be great, but I guess it is more or less exactly the same as it ever was. For better or for worse.
Old 23rd August 2019 | Show parent
  #5
Deleted 0ef17a0
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Studios ➡️
If they added some of their Helix stuff, that would be great, but I guess it is more or less exactly the same as it ever was. For better or for worse.
I see they've now added an online Helix "Marketplace" type thing.

Same old rubbish. Grab that cash.

Sansamp... now THAT is an ageless TDM/Digi machine!

Amp Farm... pfft... whats next... Echo Farm?

Old 23rd August 2019
  #6
Deleted 0ef17a0
Guest
Where did I put my Vari-Axe (sp)???

Oh wait... I was never remotely tempted.

gluttons
Old 23rd August 2019 | Show parent
  #7
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Studios ➡️
Luckily it restores old TDM version settings, so it might be worth it just to be able to recall old sessions.
That's precisely why we (finally) ported it to AAX. Echo Farm was ported last year for the same reason. Both have been used on untold thousands of tracks, and not just on guitars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Studios ➡️
If they added some of their Helix stuff...
Helix Native has everything Helix has, including IR loading, minus the loopers.
Old 25th August 2019
  #8
Lives for gear
 
feck's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Does anyone still use this stuff?
Old 25th August 2019
  #9
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
I'd pay Waves intro pricing for the Matchless model. Pass otherwise...
Old 25th August 2019
  #10
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
LOL at the marketing blurb:

"Many top producers and engineers actually postponed upgrading from Pro Tools 10 to Pro Tools 11 because they didn’t want to lose Amp Farm."

Old 25th August 2019 | Show parent
  #11
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic ➡️
LOL at the marketing blurb:

"Many top producers and engineers actually postponed upgrading from Pro Tools 10 to Pro Tools 11 because they didn’t want to lose Amp Farm."

This is actually very true. I remember talking to a few very well known rock producers that relied on this plugin and were delaying the upgrade to Pro Tools 11/HDX until Amp Farm AAX was released. Amp Farm was a not so talked about secret weapon in rock music in the 00’s.

Now there are many amp modeling options out there that are much more realistic.
Old 27th August 2019
  #12
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
That's very true, I'm one of them. But mosty, just so it was easier to open op, old sessions! PT 11 is in the past, much, much better alternatives now. Don't believe the marketing hype... Regards.
Old 27th August 2019
  #13
Lives for gear
 
uptheoctave's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I've got two licenses for Amp Farm and I will not be upgrading.

Line 6 are only slightly better than DUY in terms of 'how poorly can we treat our customers' in my opinion.

Last edited by uptheoctave; 27th August 2019 at 04:09 PM..
Old 27th August 2019
  #14
Lives for gear
 
World Studios's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
DUY can never be beaten. TC have a pretty lousy track record when it comes to abandoning their software as well...
Old 27th August 2019 | Show parent
  #15
Lives for gear
 
uptheoctave's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Studios ➡️
DUY can never be beaten. TC have a pretty lousy track record when it comes to abandoning their software as well...
Oh yeah, good point.
Old 29th August 2019
  #16
Gear Guru
 
elambo's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Studios ➡️
Does it still have a place in the overcrowded ampsim market?
Not if they're using the original code. Sims have come so far in 2019 that the gap would be miles wide.
Old 29th August 2019
  #17
Lives for gear
 
World Studios's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I guess so. Perhaps one should still demo it for kicks - or giggles...

Last edited by World Studios; 30th August 2019 at 01:31 PM..
Old 30th August 2019 | Show parent
  #18
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Igloo ➡️
That's precisely why we (finally) ported it to AAX. Echo Farm was ported last year for the same reason. Both have been used on untold thousands of tracks, and not just on guitars.
Helix Native has everything Helix has, including IR loading, minus the loopers.
Hi, the info is unclear. Will the new v4 iLok auth also authorize TDM, still, if I upgrade?
Old 30th August 2019
  #19
Lives for gear
 
World Studios's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I remember that the same question was asked about the re-released Echo Farm and I believe the answer then was that you keep your old TDM v3 license. But I am not sure.
Old 30th August 2019 | Show parent
  #20
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo ➡️
Not if they're using the original code. Sims have come so far in 2019 that the gap would be miles wide.
I love how amp farm sounds. I used it on a track today, mixed in with a real amp. The contrast between real amp and the plugin is sublime!

I don’t buy into, “Old code sucks.” I also love the Bomb Factory SansAmp plugin. Use it all of the time!!

But to be fair to your comment, if realism is what you are looking for, yes there are much better options these days.
Old 30th August 2019 | Show parent
  #21
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 0ef17a0 ➡️
whats next... Echo Farm?
Yes they're selling that, along with Pod Farm. $199 for a new licence...
Old 30th August 2019 | Show parent
  #22
Lives for gear
 
World Studios's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreRec ➡️
Hi, the info is unclear. Will the new v4 iLok auth also authorize TDM, still, if I upgrade?
I spoke before reading...

Note: The 4.0 license replaces your 3.x TDM license

So, unless the v4 license authorises v3 software, you are out of luck. Unless you have several copies of the amp farm v3 license. You could probably buy it for cheap from someone who won't be upgrading... But they are probably more expensive now that they can actually be used for anything. :D
Old 31st August 2019 | Show parent
  #23
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Hoping they're not mutually exclusive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Studios ➡️
I spoke before reading...

Note: The 4.0 license replaces your 3.x TDM license

So, unless the v4 license authorises v3 software, you are out of luck. Unless you have several copies of the amp farm v3 license. You could probably buy it for cheap from someone who won't be upgrading... But they are probably more expensive now that they can actually be used for anything. :D
Old 14th September 2019 | Show parent
  #24
Gear Maniac
 
EBGB's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippy Floppy ➡️
I love how amp farm sounds. I used it on a track today, mixed in with a real amp. The contrast between real amp and the plugin is sublime!

I don’t buy into, “Old code sucks.” I also love the Bomb Factory SansAmp plugin. Use it all of the time!!

But to be fair to your comment, if realism is what you are looking for, yes there are much better options these days.
Regardless of time period, Amp farm would not have been so widely used if it wasn’t very musical. Better than POD 2.0 IMHO. The simple interface is straightforward and quick. The 90s amp models are welcome.

It has a grainy hi-passed character. But that’s what tends to fit in a mix.

I think it holds up! Now I have to decide if I’m spending $200.
Old 14th September 2019 | Show parent
  #25
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBGB ➡️
Regardless of time period, Amp farm would not have been so widely used if it wasn’t very musical. Better than POD 2.0 IMHO. The simple interface is straightforward and quick. The 90s amp models are welcome.

It has a grainy hi-passed character. But that’s what tends to fit in a mix.

I think it holds up! Now I have to decide if I’m spending $200.
Do it, do it! Buy it!! I hope I’m helping with your GAS.

Yeah I agree. Love the grainy character. It has so much attitude.
Old 14th September 2019
  #26
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
FYI confirmed by buying that version 4 will permanently remove your TDM license and does not authorize it still. Wish the info was more clear on the site.
Old 14th September 2019
  #27
Gear Maniac
 
theXbucket's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
WOW! IS IT JUST ME? checking the demo right now and it sits so damn well in the mix where i have to tweak all those new plugins so much, and i´m checking with high gain stuff. it even takes eq moves very good!
so old but so good!
Old 15th September 2019 | Show parent
  #28
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by theXbucket ➡️
WOW! IS IT JUST ME? checking the demo right now and it sits so damn well in the mix where i have to tweak all those new plugins so much, and i´m checking with high gain stuff. it even takes eq moves very good!
so old but so good!
Yup! Like I said earlier in this thread, it was a secret weapon of 2000’s rock. No one would admit it though because it was so uncool in that era to use plugins. Times have changed!
Old 15th September 2019
  #29
Gear Maniac
 
theXbucket's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
probably it´s uncool even today, but i don´t mind!
Old 15th September 2019 | Show parent
  #30
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theXbucket ➡️
probably it´s uncool even today, but i don´t mind!
Good attitude!
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 1 views: 1671
Avatar for Stargazer
Stargazer 10th September 2004
replies: 190 views: 38875
Avatar for m127f
m127f 28th February 2017
replies: 57 views: 6434
Avatar for deng
deng 5th November 2016
replies: 91 views: 11283
Avatar for iLCacciLLo
iLCacciLLo 25th December 2017
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump