The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Plugin Alliance: ProAudioDSP DSM V3
Old 11th July 2019
Plugin Alliance: ProAudioDSP DSM V3

Developed by Paul Frindle, the developer of some of the most respected and beloved products in the recording history, including the SSL E / G series consoles, and the mighty SONY OXFORD OXF-3 digital boards.

The Dynamic Spectrum Mapper (DSM) plugin is intended to provide multi-dimensional control over both, the spectral response and dynamic characteristics of your audio.

The use of novel processing and program capture algorithms provides the ability to achieve exemplary results in common tasks such as program compression and enhancement, vocal expression and instrument characterization very quickly.

The ability to capture, modify and re-apply the spectral characteristics of your track is a powerful creative tool in all stages of the production cycle, from recording and mixing to mastering stages.

DSM V3 has many use cases, from matching tracks in mastering to evening out difficult audio tracks in a mix. It enen serves as an amazing De-Esser!

DSM V3 certainly is a weapon in Mastering!

Download & Try Now - Available for Sale July 15th
Upgrades for existing V2 owners will be available!

Attached Thumbnails
Plugin Alliance: ProAudioDSP DSM V3-pa_carousel_pro-audio_dsp-dsm-toolbar.jpg   Plugin Alliance: ProAudioDSP DSM V3-pa_carousel_pro-audio_dsp-dsm-v3.jpg  
Old 11th July 2019
Gear Maniac

it will be a real shame if they don't port the amazing UAD guitars amps to native
Old 11th July 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've got v2 of DSM and it's permanently on my mix bus chain. I'm glad they've revived it so more people will get a chance to understand its unique nature. Nothing quite like it IMO.

Most people don't know (I didn't) that Paul Frindle was the lead engineer for the legendary SSL bus comps and original Sony Oxford plugins.
Old 11th July 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Did not expect this. Looking forward to trying it.
Old 11th July 2019
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Love DSM V2, nice to see it get an update (especially SC input). I hope the upgrade price is reasonable.
Old 11th July 2019 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se ➡️
Love DSM V2, nice to see it get an update (especially SC input). I hope the upgrade price is reasonable.
Yeah, likewise, I bought it a couple of months back. I guess we’ll see when they announce their ‘Deal of a lifetime’ on the 15th ...
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
PA, is it an update for users in possession of the old DSM v2 product ??
Old 11th July 2019
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo72 ➡️
Yeah, likewise, I bought it a couple of months back. I guess we’ll see when they announce their ‘Deal of a lifetime’ on the 15th ...
That'll likely be a subscription model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOUSEGLUE ➡️
PA, is it an update for users in possession of the old DSM v2 product ??
It'll be a paid upgrade. From the website/OP:

"Upgrades for existing V2 owners will be available!"
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
That'll likely be a subscription model.

It'll be a paid upgrade. From the website/OP:

"Upgrades for existing V2 owners will be available!"
thanks man
Old 11th July 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I hope we can use our monthly voucher for the upgrade.
Old 11th July 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have V2. It’s an amazing plugin but I don’t use it that much because by its very nature it needs to restrict dynamic range to get the match to “take”. If I have a song without much dynamics it’s incredible. But often that is not the case.

If V3 has somehow found a way around that and locks in the dynamic eq changes whether the section be loud or soft and keep micro dynamics- holy cow, that would be incredible!

Can anyone speak to that and was that a design goal here? It seems like it might be!
Old 11th July 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Wow! What a nice surprise! I do own v2 and there is literally nothing else like it in the market.

Wow, what a nice and exciting times!
Old 11th July 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
V2 is one of the PA plugins that I’ve at some point got from a sale or used an otherwise redundant voucher, but never actually used it in any production. Probably because I don’t completely understand what it does and it seems kind of a multipurpose tool.

How would one use this in lets say finalizing an album? Or is that a good scenario? (Consistent sound / character over all songs in album?)
Old 11th July 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
So DSM goes in the chain like this:

other stuff -> Unfilter -> Intensity -> DSM -> Gullfoss -> other stuff
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfurry ➡️
I have V2. It’s an amazing plugin but I don’t use it that much because by its very nature it needs to restrict dynamic range to get the match to “take”. If I have a song without much dynamics it’s incredible. But often that is not the case.

If V3 has somehow found a way around that and locks in the dynamic eq changes whether the section be loud or soft and keep micro dynamics- holy cow, that would be incredible!

Can anyone speak to that and was that a design goal here? It seems like it might be!
Try using long release times. If you look through the presets for matching to different styles the attack times are between 0-40ms, but the release times can be 5-12 seconds. Makes it much more of a gentle shaping sort of thing, and shouldn't affect micro dynamics too much.
Old 11th July 2019
js1
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have V2, and I have to admit it was a tough plugin to get my head around. The few videos that Paul Frindle did on YouTube helped the most, and as was previously mentioned, very long release times (like seconds) are usually called for. But I still could use more concrete examples of how to use it. It's really a different beast to anything out there.

If this release leads to more instructional material - that would be a good thing.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechwood ➡️
Try using long release times. If you look through the presets for matching to different styles the attack times are between 0-40ms, but the release times can be 5-12 seconds. Makes it much more of a gentle shaping sort of thing, and shouldn't affect micro dynamics too much.
Thanks for the tip; will experiment
Old 11th July 2019

🎧 15 years
V3 GUI looks 10x better!

Last edited by blackcom; 11th July 2019 at 05:51 PM..
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by js1 ➡️
I have V2, and I have to admit it was a tough plugin to get my head around. The few videos that Paul Frindle did on YouTube helped the most, and as was previously mentioned, very long release times (like seconds) are usually called for. But I still could use more concrete examples of how to use it. It's really a different beast to anything out there.

If this release leads to more instructional material - that would be a good thing.
Yes it needs more—and deeper—tutorials. Jeezo, Mixing with Mike and Dan Worrall vids would be handy.
Old 11th July 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Love DSM since version 1!!! Looking forward to v3!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yes it needs more—and deeper—tutorials. Jeezo, Mixing with Mike and Dan Worrall vids would be handy.
Hahaha I am pretty sure I set up my DSM by a happy accident. I saved that preset and now when I use it, I just load it and don't touch anything.
On the other hand I feel extremely happy with it, so I am not sure if that can be tweaked any better, but for sure a tutorial would be handy.

Last edited by elcct; 11th July 2019 at 03:51 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 11th July 2019
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Using DSM v2 I beat the endboss of the loudness war!

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcct ➡️
Hahaha I am pretty sure I set up my DSM by a happy accident. I saved that preset and now when I use it, I just load it and don't touch anything.
On the other hand I feel extremely happy with it, so I am not sure if that can be tweaked any better, but for sure a tutorial would be handy.
Wanna share the preset? PM?
Gear Addict

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo72 ➡️
“Deal of a lifetime” most likely means another $15 dollar a month subscription. Tbh I don’t want a $15 a month subscription from plugin alliance considering I already own all of the plugins I want from them.
Old 11th July 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A lot of people are assuming that they are going subscription. i don't see any evidence for that. It might be an option, but I think they will come up with a more imaginative pricing strategy, based on their recent sales, which must have told them a lot about the willingness to pay and what for, and the numbers involved.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsyourself ➡️
A lot of people are assuming that they are going subscription. i don't see any evidence for that. It might be an option, but I think they will come up with a more imaginative pricing strategy, based on their recent sales, which must have told them a lot about the willingness to pay and what for, and the numbers involved.
Yah... I’m on the fence, too. I could see them doing a $30-50/month sub model or just keep all pricing at at sub $100 range... maybe both? Maybe something in the middle?

PA is one of the devs with a deep enough catalog of product to make a monthly sub model quite useful... especially if their uad exclusivity contracts are starting to hit end of life
Old 11th July 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Very happy to see a renewal of development of DSM. I bought it from Paul's company back when V1 was first released, and am currently using V2 (DSM's distribution transfer to PA is probably what got me onto them!).

An amazing, unique tool, worthy of accolades and deeper understanding ;-)
Old 11th July 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
One of the very best de-essers in existence.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by biksonije ➡️
Wow! What a nice surprise! I do own v2 and there is literally nothing else like it in the market.

Wow, what a nice and exciting times!
Melda MSpectralDynamics is in the same ballpark.
And yes, there are other spectra compressors/processors, but this one is very cool indeed and specially suited for program material.

I can't wait to try this. No idea what they have updated (other than the gorgeous new GUI)
PA knocking it out of the park at the moment, though i am holding my breath to see what the 'new deal' is.
I have ownership over all my pick pack plugs now, so entering into another sub seems a but silly....it would make more sense to buy the ones i want.
And there are so many out in the last week it will be hard to decide.

This is a prime candidate though...don't own V2, was tempted at the last sale, this update could be the final push
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcom ➡️
Wanna share the preset? PM?
It's my treasure, so not at the moment :-) Spend some time with it, for sure you'll get something nice.
📝 Reply