Gearspace.com

Gearspace.com (https://gearspace.com/board/)
-   Product Alerts older than 2 months (https://gearspace.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/)
-   -   iZotope Introduces Neutron 3 (https://gearspace.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/1267776-izotope-introduces-neutron-3-a.html)

ILME 13th June 2019 08:15 PM

I've just bought Neutron 3 Advanced and it's great software.

Strange thing is that on my Cubase 10 Artist, the GUIs are NOT resizable.
Not the Mothership, or any other of the 8 plugins of Neutron 3.

Anyone else has this issue? On Windows 10.
I created a ticket to iZotope about it, but just wondering if more people had this issue.

* Edit: ok, found it, i was loading the VST2 plugins, that's why they did not resize. Only VST3 ones are resizable kfhkh

jbuehler 14th June 2019 01:15 AM

I installed the demo to try the Mix Assistant. I use Ableton and am not seeing the Relay plugin but see everything else. Have Neutron 1 installed as well; on OSX.

Any ideas?

electrow 14th June 2019 03:35 AM

How does this work with all tracks being synths, that is no traditional tracks like bass, vocals, drums etc? All I've heard are pretty conventional sounding demos.

Volt9 14th June 2019 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbuehler (Post 14038220)
I installed the demo to try the Mix Assistant. I use Ableton and am not seeing the Relay plugin but see everything else. Have Neutron 1 installed as well; on OSX.

Any ideas?

You sure you installed the demo? ;)
If so .. check your mail!

Volt9 14th June 2019 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by electrow (Post 14038394)
How does this work with all tracks being synths, that is no traditional tracks like bass, vocals, drums etc? All I've heard are pretty conventional sounding demos.

Then you have to decide in what catagory/group your tracks fit manually.

But I can imagine mix assistant will not work wel on soundscapes or ambient music.

Volt9 14th June 2019 07:10 AM

Why they did not add dynamic frequency control in the equalizer just like in Nectar 3?

That would be great when using the inverse link masking feature.

Or is it in there, and I am missing it?

jbuehler 14th June 2019 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volt9 (Post 14038438)
You sure you installed the demo? ;)
If so .. check your mail!

Yes it is advanced with each portion of Neutron 3 available individually.

I installed the Advanced Demo, opened Ableton, and I see all the Plugins, except Relay.

Does Relay have a different full name than just Relay? I don’t see “Relay”, “Izotope Relay”, “Neutron Relay”, “Neutron 3 Relay”.

Volt9 14th June 2019 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbuehler (Post 14039154)
Yes it is advanced with each portion of Neutron 3 available individually.

I installed the Advanced Demo, opened Ableton, and I see all the Plugins, except Relay.

Does Relay have a different full name than just Relay? I don’t see “Relay”, “Izotope Relay”, “Neutron Relay”, “Neutron 3 Relay”.

I suggest you use izotope download and install portal app

jbuehler 14th June 2019 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volt9 (Post 14039162)
I suggest you use izotope download and install portal app

Will do after weekend trip.

I like Neutron 1 for some tasks so am really excited to try 3.

greenroom 15th June 2019 08:04 PM

$150 upgrade, blah... fix cpu use on Neutron 2. Izotope marketing and sales tactics blow (tempting you w/ cpu cycle comparisons). Upgrade your current product! Support N2 and N1 user base in addition...

rrraaalllfff 16th June 2019 07:38 AM

After buying 2 rather expensive plugin packs (ozone8adv and neutron2adv) plus owning a few other plugins they make, and seeing their upgrade pricing I can say I won't be investing here anymore. A significant jump in quality might warrant it. A clever way of having plugs talk to each other does not imho. I don't need "suggestions" from a gui for that cash. I would expect even better and perhaps more varied EQ and compresion processing. Again, they're certainly not bad (what I bought) but nowadays I'd be expecting a bit friendlier upgrading for invested customers. Just my opinion.
I'll keep using what I've got though. They make great plugins. End of the line though. There's a lot out there for better money. More every day. I do hope izotope reviews its proceedings and adapts because they are a killer plugin company. But I hazard to say it's not likely they're looking to go higher and more competitive in quality, just broader. Not that there's anything wrong with looking to cater to non engineering folk.

Volt9 16th June 2019 03:48 PM

Working with version 3 for a few days now. And it works very well, great actually. I feel the suggestions are even better in version 3. Probably because of the sculpter.

Very learn full when you have a suggestion on a beat for example that is better than my own :-)

Harry_O 16th June 2019 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volt9 (Post 14042637)
Working with version 3 for a few days now. And it works very well, great actually. I feel the suggestions are even better in version 3. Probably because of the sculpter.

Very learn full when you have a suggestion on a beat for example that is better than my own :-)

Have you been able to compare the Neutron 3 results to some target-based tools, such a Bassroom?
Although Bassroom is targeted to enhance the low frequency base in the mix, the Neutron 3 should be able to give to the same enhancement, with all its analyzing capabilities.

Volt9 16th June 2019 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry_O (Post 14042646)
Have you been able to compare the Neutron 3 results to some target-based tools, such a Bassroom?
Although Bassroom is targeted to enhance the low frequency base in the mix, the Neutron 3 should be able to give to the same enhancement, with all its analyzing capabilities.

I have bassroom but did not compare them yet.

Volt9 16th June 2019 04:16 PM

And I am not sure if neutron does the same fine tuning as bassroom does. Don’t think so actually.

Harry_O 16th June 2019 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volt9 (Post 14042673)
And I am not sure if neutron does the same fine tuning as bassroom does. Don’t think so actually.

Well, if Neutron 3 does what it promises, it both helps to balance the mix and helps putting weight to desired places/frequencies.

Set the target: balanced, focused and impressive low end, and see, where the Neutron 3 leads you, compared to the Bassroom.

Volt9 16th June 2019 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry_O (Post 14042883)
Well, if Neutron 3 does what it promises, it both helps to balance the mix and helps putting weight to desired places/frequencies.

Set the target: balanced, focused and impressive low end, and see, where the Neutron 3 leads you, compared to the Bassroom.

What visual mixer does is giving you a mix level balance. Visual mixer/mix assistant is not focusing on a specific area in the frequency spectrum like bassroom does.

Also the options you mention are not present in the visual mixer/mix assistant, but are options in neutron mix assistant ;-)

I suggest you download the demo!

Kites 18th June 2019 03:04 AM

Anyone have CPU/GPU issues when having multiple instances of Neutron 3 with Ableton Live 10.1? Would appreciate any experiences if I decide to upgrade myself. kfhkh

Volt9 18th June 2019 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kites (Post 14045551)
Anyone have CPU/GPU issues when having multiple instances of Neutron 3 with Ableton Live 10.1? Would appreciate any experiences if I decide to upgrade myself. kfhkh

I have no problems with that version of Live and let's say about 15 x neutron 3 active on Mac.

smoovemode 18th June 2019 07:14 PM

This is my take on Neutron 2/3.

1. For Pros it's useful if you have to knock out a lot of projects quickly and you may may use this plugin to get you in the "Ball Park". Otherwise, this is useless to you guys and is not CPU friendly AT ALL.

2. Intermediate more useful but you're still needing to tweak. It's a cool learning tool for those times when you get stuck and just don't have the experience to dig yourself out.

3. Beginners - Amazing option for you. It will solve basic issues for your and even though you won't always get perfect results, they will be acceptable and usable. Let me say again, this is a great learning tool.

The price is too much if you already have Nectar 2 IMO. I feel like I just bought Neutron 2 (part of a bundle). What bothers me is the unloading (if at all) time it takes using to unload/close) in Cubase Plus I get glitches where the UI doesn't work. I shouldn't have to play for fixes but I bet, if I want to continue using this thing, I will have to do.

My system is a i9 9900K Water cooled beast and this Neutron saps everything out of it. I like the idea and concept but the value is limited.

By the way, they say, "The smarter way to mix" which I disagree with unless you're a beginner. It's the "easier way to mix" but for intermediates or beginners.

ajiuo 18th June 2019 07:51 PM

There is a lot that I love about neutron 3, but I’m honestly becoming a bit frustrated with iZotope and all of the fragmentation between products.

They released nectar 3 witch had an amazing new UI. I was really excited for ozone 9 and neutron 3, and thought everything would finally work together... but it doesn’t. Nectar 3 is not compatible with neutron 3 masking, it’s not compatible with tonal balance. For a company who’s main thing seems to be interplugin connectivity, they shire are not doing a good job connecting their 3 main platforms.

I’m sure the next version of nectar might do this, but it’s really annoying always having one of the 3 products one step ahead of the other. Why cant they just work on all 3 of them together, make them work well together, give them consistent UI, and release all 3 at the same time. They also don’t really do any midterm updates to bring products inline with each other... just have to wait for the next version.

I’m also a bit disappointed that neutron 3 doesn’t have 2 eqs.... don’t get me wrong. There is still a lot to love... but come on, stop with the fragmentation, please.

I would love to see a second mixer added to neutron. I would also love to see nectar get more interplugin support with neutron, tonal balance, and other izotope plugins. I think what would also be cool is if izotope made the whol visual mixer structure a control surface so that it could control the actual daw mix and balance instead of working independently. I think it would be much more useful that way. I don’t want two layered mixers to worry about.

Volt9 18th June 2019 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajiuo (Post 14046846)
There is a lot that I love about neutron 3, but I’m honestly becoming a bit frustrated with iZotope and all of the fragmentation between products.

They released nectar 3 witch had an amazing new UI. I was really excited for ozone 9 and neutron 3, and thought everything would finally work together... but it doesn’t. Nectar 3 is not compatible with neutron 3 masking, it’s not compatible with tonal balance. For a company who’s main thing seems to be interplugin connectivity, they shire are not doing a good job connecting their 3 main platforms.

I’m sure the next version of nectar might do this, but it’s really annoying always having one of the 3 products one step ahead of the other. Why cant they just work on all 3 of them together, make them work well together, give them consistent UI, and release all 3 at the same time. They also don’t really do any midterm updates to bring products inline with each other... just have to wait for the next version.

I’m also a bit disappointed that neutron 3 doesn’t have 2 eqs.... don’t get me wrong. There is still a lot to love... but come on, stop with the fragmentation, please.

I would love to see a second mixer added to neutron. I would also love to see nectar get more interplugin support with neutron, tonal balance, and other izotope plugins. I think what would also be cool is if izotope made the whol visual mixer structure a control surface so that it could control the actual daw mix and balance instead of working independently. I think it would be much more useful that way. I don’t want two layered mixers to worry about.

Agree on all points!

sirthought 18th June 2019 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajiuo (Post 14046846)
Nectar 3 is not compatible with neutron 3 masking, it’s not compatible with tonal balance. For a company who’s main thing seems to be interplugin connectivity, they shire are not doing a good job connecting their 3 main platforms.

I agree with your overall assessment.

Question--- can you put an iZotope Relay plugin on that channel and get the track to work with Tonal Balance?

I get that using Nectar on there should be enough.

smoovemode 18th June 2019 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirthought (Post 14046904)

Question--- can you put an iZotope Relay plugin on that channel and get the track to work with Tonal Balance?

Yes, relay would work.

morgendugg 18th June 2019 11:10 PM

I wish for being able to solo groups in the visual mixer as groups are made in the mix assistant. Also would be nice to drag with the mouse so you can choose several tracks you want to move together.

Surprised they did not release it from start.

ajiuo 18th June 2019 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirthought (Post 14046904)

I’m referring to tonal balances ability to adjust the eq directly from within the plugin. You can do so with neutron, but not with nectar.

Tonal balance actually can analyze the eq from nectar.

While we’re at it. Why no nectar advanced with separate modular?

Honestly they should just drop nectar as a stand-alone plug-in and make it a modular expansion for neutron... one chanle strip for mixing and one for mastering.

luka 18th June 2019 11:58 PM

After struggling with Neutron 1 problems, updated to Neutron 2 with some minor glitches, now testing Neutron 3, my conclusions:

- The visual mix tool is still a mockup
- The performance improvements are stellar
- The spectral thing is too aggressive
- Relearning every year or so the UI and the beahaviour of my tools is alienating

The upgrade price is premium, and so is my time; it's hard to spend time on an ever changing tool that is supposed to be a focal point of the mix.

While I am all in experimenting new things, I value reliability, consistency and support over time for something should be on every track.

I am off the wagon. abduction

CoteRotie 20th June 2019 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luka (Post 14047322)
After struggling with Neutron 1 problems, updated to Neutron 2 with some minor glitches, now testing Neutron 3, my conclusions:

- The visual mix tool is still a mockup
- The performance improvements are stellar
- The spectral thing is too aggressive
- Relearning every year or so the UI and the beahaviour of my tools is alienating

The upgrade price is premium, and so is my time; it's hard to spend time on an ever changing tool that is supposed to be a focal point of the mix.

While I am all in experimenting new things, I value reliability, consistency and support over time for something should be on every track.

I am off the wagon. abduction

I agree with a lot of the above, but I'm still on the wagon. One thing I do like about Izotope plugs (and of course YMMV) is that they are very stable. I've cut down my plugs to Izotope, some Waves, and a very few other key plugs. Since I did that, my DAW stability is greatly improved.

the_mixer 20th June 2019 06:35 PM

Tried it yesterday, didn't like the sound at all. EQ is OK I guess, nothing your DAW's stock EQ can't do, but compressor and exciter sound terrible, harsh, artificial, plastic. Not my cup of tea I guess.

random musican 20th June 2019 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_mixer (Post 14050642)
Tried it yesterday, didn't like the sound at all. EQ is OK I guess, nothing your DAW's stock EQ can't do, but compressor and exciter sound terrible, harsh, artificial, plastic. Not my cup of tea I guess.

EQ is neutral, but the dynamic feature is nice (useful when you need it). Exciter is totally off the mark (with "warm" being the best mode), and while it get's better with manual oversampling (or just in 96kHz), it's a hassle and sill not great, other plugins sound better. Similarly, I prefer other compressors by a wide margin. That said, I would buy neutron if only for its transient shaper, it is really awesome, it's probably the best of those that I have demoed (it lacks sidechain though).