The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Audient Introduces Nero: Desktop Monitor Controller
Old 22nd April 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by evoltap ➡️
Yeah I feel the same way about the Presonus. Great feature set, but crappy volume pot and those little blue buttons. I even had mine modded by Revive, so I got the sonics considerably better....but that volume pot was still ****ty.

Isn't the benefit of the pots on the Nero that they are actually a digital control allowing much more precision and balance? Try turning the volume down real fast on the main volume or a headphone 1 while running a 1k tone though it....you'll hear that it's not a normal pot.
on the PS monitor station V2 ..I discovered that if you want to listen at very low volume, use the dim button/knob ..it tracks WAY better at very low volume
Lives for gear

27 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome ➡️
on the PS monitor station V2 ..I discovered that if you want to listen at very low volume, use the dim button/knob ..it tracks WAY better at very low volume
Better in what sense? I guess that you move the working point for the volume pot where the balance might be better. But that will only be for the stereo image. Is there any other that get better? I will try this, very nice tips!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bace ➡️
Better in what sense? I guess that you move the working point for the volume pot where the balance might be better. But that will only be for the stereo image. Is there any other that get better? I will try this, very nice tips!
yes (on the PSV2) set the main big knob where it responds correctly to your L and R image but is too loud, then use the dim and the little dim knob to go the rest of the way down..it works way better ..the image does not collapse to one side
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bace ➡️
Since NERO can not mix signals I have no user for it. So they use DCA, good to see that you can do this type of gear with DCA but people been sceptical about them for a long time.
You understand that this thing is like 1/4 of the price of almost anything else of its sound and build quality right? If that feature is for you, not only will you spend way more, but you probably can spend way more to utilize it. So you know, don’t worry about it too much.
Lives for gear

27 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam guaiana ➡️
You understand that this thing is like 1/4 of the price of almost anything else of its sound and build quality right? If that feature is for you, not only will you spend way more, but you probably can spend way more to utilize it. So you know, don’t worry about it too much.
Quality does not matter if doesn't work. Presonus does not have quality build and feel. It is not even perfect with it's functions. But this guys seems to have a very good knowledge about what's needed from a monitor controller. If it was up to decide it would be a digital box for all mixing and switching. (digital sub filter would be very nice)
Old 24th April 2020 | Show parent
Audient

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Just got mine and hooked it all up. Love it, it's like my Central Station was under water all the time...

Few things I think a Rev 2 could benefit from... (feel free to ship me one when it happens @ audientworld :P)

1. The tapping of the talkback to latch should be shorter (or adjustable). Sometimes I do a quicker tap to say something, and it'll get stuck on, I mean what if I'm talking trash about the drummer?!

2. The input meter should be calibrate-able. I know my sources aren't clipping but I'm seeing that red light go nuts and I'm stressed!

3. The sub cuts when you drop to mono or swap polarity. Why you do dis?

4. Longer power supply cable. Maybe one of them that has the extra two prong cable so it's a bit more adjustable? I feel like I'm on a short leash here.

Barring those few things, I really enjoy this unit. It's sleek, smooth, sexy, and sounding transparent. Gimme these tasty treats and you guys will REALLY have a stew going!

Hello all,

It's great to see so much discussion about Nero here. I just wanted to give answers to a few questions that have been asked.

1) We did spend quite a while trialling a few different holding times for the talkback latch to get the best feel and reliability and this is what we decided was best. Once you've gotten used to pressing it a few times it feels natural, unfortunately, this wouldn't be something that would be easily changed by the user. Also, you should be nice to drummers...

2) NERO was designed with a digital alignment of +18dBu - 0dBFS in mind as you can probably tell from the meter. Unfortunately, this wouldn't be easily user adjustable between different alignments as its an analogue meter circuit and then, of course, the numbers on the meters wouldn't make sense.

3) This is ultimately a hardware limitation of the Nero. Adding this would have meant more relays and microprocessors which add cost. We did have to make a balance between features and making Nero an affordable option and it is, of course, tricky to make this balance sometimes.

4) You can use any power supply that outputs 12v DC, with an amperage of 2A and a 5.5x2.1mm Centre Positive Jack so if you need a longer power cable, you can certainly find one on the web.

I don't want to come across as too defensive here. Monitoring is a very personal thing and what may work in what person's workflow, may not work in someone else's and because of that Nero, may not work in everyone's setup, but we wanted to add an affordable, high-quality option to the market.

That being said, we really appreciate the feedback from the community. If anyone does have any questions, then please don't hesitate to get in touch with us at [email protected]

-Audient
Old 24th April 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audientworld ➡️
Hello all,

It's great to see so much discussion about Nero here. I just wanted to give answers to a few questions that have been asked.

1) We did spend quite a while trialling a few different holding times for the talkback latch to get the best feel and reliability and this is what we decided was best. Once you've gotten used to pressing it a few times it feels natural, unfortunately, this wouldn't be something that would be easily changed by the user. Also, you should be nice to drummers...

2) NERO was designed with a digital alignment of +18dBu - 0dBFS in mind as you can probably tell from the meter. Unfortunately, this wouldn't be easily user adjustable between different alignments as its an analogue meter circuit and then, of course, the numbers on the meters wouldn't make sense.

3) This is ultimately a hardware limitation of the Nero. Adding this would have meant more relays and microprocessors which add cost. We did have to make a balance between features and making Nero an affordable option and it is, of course, tricky to make this balance sometimes.

4) You can use any power supply that outputs 12v DC, with an amperage of 2A and a 5.5x2.1mm Centre Positive Jack so if you need a longer power cable, you can certainly find one on the web.

I don't want to come across as too defensive here. Monitoring is a very personal thing and what may work in what person's workflow, may not work in someone else's and because of that Nero, may not work in everyone's setup, but we wanted to add an affordable, high-quality option to the market.

That being said, we really appreciate the feedback from the community. If anyone does have any questions, then please don't hesitate to get in touch with us at [email protected]

-Audient

thanks for clarification. regarding #3 hmm, maybe audient could provide a modification tutorial for the techies? (yes warranty may be lost, but the 10-20euro extra cost incl. vat. wouldnt be the problem^^)
Old 26th April 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audientworld ➡️
Hello all,

-Audient
Appreciate the follow up. I do agree with the other comment, if there were a way to modify it to keep the sub on in mono, I would be interested as well. It’s incredibly tough to discern phase problems on things such as stereo overheads in relation to a kick or snare when I knock it in mono and lose my low end. If it added $100 to the unit, I’d still probably choose it over anything else on the market.
Old 8th May 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Appreciate the follow up. I do agree with the other comment, if there were a way to modify it to keep the sub on in mono, I would be interested as well. It’s incredibly tough to discern phase problems on things such as stereo overheads in relation to a kick or snare when I knock it in mono and lose my low end. If it added $100 to the unit, I’d still probably choose it over anything else on the market.
You can just use the output from the sub to connect the monitors, rather than use the Nero's separate sub output.
Old 8th May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanM ➡️
You can just use the output from the sub to connect the monitors, rather than use the Nero's separate sub output.
Yeah but then I can’t cut the sub when I wanna check without it. I only use my sub half the time, but part of that half is checking phase.
Old 24th June 2020
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
No action in this thread for 6 weeks or so.
Any new or old Nero users care to add any further comments on its performance?

I'm really close to pulling the trigger, but there seem to be fewer comments than I would expect for a unit that offers so much for so little. If it does what it says it does then it should be flying off the shelves, surely? The only known issues that would affect me are the sub muting when in mono (which I still don't fully understand - it's already a mono output!) and the lack of individual L/R mutes.

Ultimately though, I'm looking for confirmation that it won't colour the sound in any way - my mains are ATCs...

@ audientworld Oh, and can you confirm that Audient aren't about to release a Nero v2 days or weeks after I buy a v1!
Old 24th June 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterharrison ➡️

I'm really close to pulling the trigger, but there seem to be fewer comments than I would expect for a unit that offers so much for so little. If it does what it says it does then it should be flying off the shelves, surely? The only known issues that would affect me are the sub muting when in mono (which I still don't fully understand - it's already a mono output!) and the lack of individual L/R mutes.

Ultimately though, I'm looking for confirmation that it won't colour the sound in any way - my mains are ATCs...

@ audientworld Oh, and can you confirm that Audient aren't about to release a Nero v2 days or weeks after I buy a v1!
I’ve had it for a while now and aside from the concerns I posted about, I absolutely love the unit. I post about cons a lot in these threads because people need to know those first. The pros to these units are always obvious.

But here’s the good stuff I leave out.
1. The knob is SO smooth and it’s balanced right down to the quietest level because it’s a relay for a stepped circuit.
2. It is the most transparent controller I’ve ever heard, not just at it’s price range.
3. It looks nice on a desk. Aesthetically it’s very pleasing and that’s important to me.
4. It’s pretty easy to program and operate.
5. It’s worth at least $1000. I got it from Long & McQuade in Canada for $600 (now it’s listed at $700), and would have paid more for it for sure.
6. It’s so full featured at its price.

Yeah I hate the sub thing, I hate that I can’t adjust the metres, and I hate the talkback relay time when I tap it. But these are a superficial (actually not the sub thing, come on!) and if those are the things I have to put up with, I’m fine with it, considering the next best product is at least twice the price.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I’ve had it for a while now and aside from the concerns I posted about, I absolutely love the unit. I post about cons a lot in these threads because people need to know those first. The pros to these units are always obvious.
Thanks, Sam, that's really helpful, especially what you say about transparency. That was my main concern really - how could it be so transparent given the price?!
Lives for gear

88 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks, Sam, that's really helpful, especially what you say about transparency. That was my main concern really - how could it be so transparent given the price?!
Audient have a long history with signal path, components, and noise floor; this is probably a factor in the quality/price ratio plus, as a relatively large audio company, there is a scale of economy and expertise. For many of the manufacturers whose gear I review, it is a creative project with passion for gear and audio as the main driver of innovation. Sometimes this means that products are overpriced yet desirable; with the Nero the quality/price balance is in our favour as consumers.

There is probably a better option: a DIY unit with the bare bones of functionality (custom features for the user's studio) and top quality components, short signal path, etc. - but that would probably cost more than Nero.

I ended up using the digital in (@192 kHz) and into the monitors. Super-clean, pleasurable to listen to. Was surprised at the quality.
The analogue ins were very good too but the digital input suited my requirements at the time.
Old 25th June 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone ➡️
Audient have a long history with signal path, components, and noise floor; this is probably a factor in the quality/price ratio plus, as a relatively large audio company, there is a scale of economy and expertise.
All good points, Arthur, thank you.

Yes, I had my eye on that SPDIF input for my main monitoring path. It would free up the analogue outputs on my interface (Metric Halo ULN-2) for external signal processing. I still find it hard to believe that the conversion can be any good for that price, though!
Old 7th July 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:

I’m also very happy with mine. Yes, there are a few things that aren’t perfect— my main gripe is some design decisions around the talkback as well as no dedicated cue out, but these are minor. The transparent and hifi sound quality as well as build quality can’t be beat at this price point....and yes, it looks good too. I will also vouch for the converters being just fine.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by evoltap ➡️
I’m also very happy with mine. Yes, there are a few things that aren’t perfect— my main gripe is some design decisions around the talkback as well as no dedicated cue out, but these are minor. The transparent and hifi sound quality as well as build quality can’t be beat at this price point....and yes, it looks good too. I will also vouch for the converters being just fine.
Thanks, Evoltap - the transparency, build quality and converters are what I'm interested in.

Providing talkback functionality without a CUE out is an odd design decision, seeing as providing four headphone outs implies the musicians are going to be in the same room as the engineer anyway. Either don't provide talkback at all, given the "same room" headphone outputs, or provide a CUE out to go with the talkback.

So now I need to create some space on my desk...
Gear Nut
Quote:
Thanks, Evoltap - the transparency, build quality and converters are what I'm interested in.

Providing talkback functionality without a CUE out is an odd design decision, seeing as providing four headphone outs implies the musicians are going to be in the same room as the engineer anyway. Either don't provide talkback at all, given the "same room" headphone outputs, or provide a CUE out to go with the talkback.

So now I need to create some space on my desk...
That talkback design stuff was also a head scratcher for me. I ended up just using one of the headphone outs to feed my furman headphone system. Not ideal, but works fine. Also, just know that the built in talkback mic is useless, and you’ll need to use your own. I got on MXL talkback mic that works great.
Old 12th July 2020 | Show parent
Sen
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I was set on the Drawmer MC2.1 as it was perfect for my needs. Nothing I didn't need, and all I did.
However, there turns out to be none in stock in Aus and the wait to get one by the local distributor is about 4 weeks in this current situation.
This made me look at the Nero, which is available here.
More headphone outs, adat in, sub assignable to any output pair, better ergonomics are attractive features in Nero.
Fantastic reviews on Drawmer's build quality, great transparency, left or right "solo" , speaker output trims are also nice.
What would you do?
Old 14th July 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen ➡️
I was set on the Drawmer MC2.1 as it was perfect for my needs. Nothing I didn't need, and all I did.
However, there turns out to be none in stock in Aus and the wait to get one by the local distributor is about 4 weeks in this current situation.
This made me look at the Nero, which is available here.
More headphone outs, adat in, sub assignable to any output pair, better ergonomics are attractive features in Nero.
Fantastic reviews on Drawmer's build quality, great transparency, left or right "solo" , speaker output trims are also nice.
What would you do?
Some on the way now as we speak.
Old 18th July 2020 | Show parent
Sen
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieronc ➡️
Some on the way now as we speak.
Oh, thanks.
I did purchase a Nero, as I wasn't sure how long I might have to wait.
Deb at SC was great and told me she had some units on the way, but Nero was in stock at a local retailer, and I went for that. I'm convinced the mc2.1 is a fantastic unit as well.
Old 22nd September 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Top quality monitor controller

Just got this Audient Nero a couple weeks ago and I'm really happy with my purchase:

- Build quality is top notch
- Sound is 100% transparent through it (null test proves that)
- The big knob is perfectly balanced at any volume level
- Aesthetics and ergonomics (tilt) are perfect
- Price point is extremely reasonable. It feels like a 1k unit
- I like its size, not big nor small

I still don't know how to solo the SUB without having to press ALT2 as well. Someone out there knows how to?

The meters seem to only represent the input and be independent from the knob volume level. Not sure if I can choose them to show the knob volume level?
Old 22nd September 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Have had mine for about 6 months or so.. I really do like it, except for the internal mic been so noisy its unusable, reached out to support and they got back within a day and had me all my cable from the unit to see if its a ground loop problem, but its not.. the external mic works fine. since then I have reached out to support at least 5 times and I have not received a single response... horrible Support ... very unhappy

that's my 2cents...
Old 29th October 2020
Here for the gear

Purchased this to complement another thingy, the JBL 705Ps I recently got. I previously used the old Mackie Big Knob Studio Plus. Before that a Samson CUE something or other. Man I feel like I was really slumming it nowadays! I thought the Mackie was okay, even though everyone detests it. No complaints really for what I paid, used (cheap.) This monitor controller, however, is a whole 'nother level of good. Very, very nice. The pros are all about what you'd expect in a decent box like this and, suffice it to say, it just gets out of the way nicely. That and the controls of the controller, well, control well. Love the multitude of headphone signals you can conjure up; and the headphone amps drive my 250-Ohm cans just fine if I am not making a lot of racket on the side.

Though about a million miles from being deal-breakers, there might an odd feature or two I would not mind seeing changed in the next iteration:

The meter LEDs are okay in a totally dark room, merely okay otherwise. They are tasteful and expensive-looking, actually, but there is a parallax effect that reduces precision in reading off-axis. They might oughtta want to make those brighter. Or, even better, adjustable in brightness. Maybe an OLED would be cool, since you could have it display all kinds of things. Peak hold, scale type, numerical data, and feedback about the programming steps being taken. Heck even a needle-type VU meter. Maybe that would be silly. Anyway, extremely minor niggles, there.

Second thing is I would love to see the mini aux jack on the front. It would make way more sense in that spot.

The fact that the sub cannot be selected on its own is a strange design choice. Makes it awkward to calibrate your system. Though, all you gotta do is unplug stuff, I guess. And, I suppose, you would only need to do this once.

Lastly, the Mackie Big Knob Studio Plus was a true mixer. Maybe the way the signal path is set, it is possible that this would not be feasible in a unit like this. Certainly would not want if it degraded sound quality. Would be super nice, though.

To correct a few others posts in this thread, there is in fact a dedicated cue out. Not sure what that was all about. And, the relative input is most definitely able to be altered. It works in attenuation mode (as it should, and unlike with the gainy amps of the Mackie, etc.)

Bottom line: Worth every penny and then some! No regrets. So very awesome.
Old 20th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

EDIT: There is no cue out. I was mistaken. It is cue IN. Very strange design choice, there. Really puzzling considering the perfection of the unit otherwise. Hrm. I suppose I could send via one of the ALT outputs? I think? Or will the mic not hit those as I fear? Or am I supposed to use the headphone (amplified!) signal for that? If so, I would love to have proper, precise attenuation on those channels to bring the gain and impedance to line level. Really, I would NEED to have this attenuation on those.
Old 2nd January 2021
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Do not own this unit yet, so cannot test, but is the D/A converter on this unit better than the one on my Apollo? Wondering which would be better, sending digital out from my Apollo or analog? Also, since the sub can be combined with multiple monitors, how are users getting around the fact that both the sub and monitors are receiving the same full range signal? Would have been nice to have some EQ filtering that could be applied as presets to the different outputs. I would love to use the sub with both my A set and B set of monitors, but since they have different low end frequency ranges, I either will have phasing or doubling of frequencies when using the sub or I will be forced to use the sub with only one monitor set to ensure proper crossover. Unless someone has a clever solution?

ps thanks for all the great information in this thread!!
Old 2nd January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

88 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I really liked the digital-analogue converter. Thinking about buying a Nero just for that role.
Old 3rd January 2021
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I sold the id22 last week and purchased the Nero for my mixing setup. It arrives on Tuesday. I'm planning to compare the internal DA with the Apogee DA16x and Rosetta 800. I'm wondering if there will be any noticable difference.
Old 3rd January 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Let us know your findings!
Old 3rd January 2021
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
All this talk of the D/A converter in the Nero got me curious to see if it made a difference with my, now pretty old, silverface Apollo. Only digital option on that unit is SPDIF coax out, but it’s impossible to properly A/B it with Apollo’s converters as the digital output is quieter than the Apollo monitor outs and the Nero trim pot for the Alt input doesn’t have any effect on the coax input (on my Nero anyway).

I’ve been using that spdif out to go to a Clarity M meter. Curious if anyone can tell me if i can use a regular coax Y-Splitter on the Apollo output to send to both the Nero and the clarity M or if that’s going to degrade the signal?
📝 Reply