Quantcast
Sonimus releases Satson Channel Strip Plug-In - Page 8 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sonimus releases Satson Channel Strip Plug-In
Old 26th May 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by MogwaiBoy ➡️
Agreed on both these points. Sonimus, please add harmonics to the EQ and grouping to thr Gainstaging module. A gate/expansion module would be great also. Do I sound entitled? Sorry :D
technically you could add another instance of the preamp in gain compensation and add more saturation either before or after the EQ.
Being able to add Satson CS to the Satson groups would be epic, yes!
Old 31st May 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Sonimus is a bad company

I gave into curiosity and shelled out $30 for the Britson. Big mistake.

It's lame, not even as good as the Waves NLS. I feel like I got scammed. It's nothing more than some weak saturation. Save your money and put that $30 toward the UA API preamp, FabFilter Saturn, Plugin Alliance Big Al. Anything else.

Never buy software that doesn't offer a demo. A software company that won't offer a demo is either:

Not actually that good at technology
OR
Figures they will sell more software if people can't demo it beforehand because they're just trying to scam people.
Old 31st May 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieq ➡️
Did you try to emailing Sonimus support asking for a refund before posting here??
Yup.

frankoreported 2 days ago
The Britson plugin does not suit my needs. I would like a refund for the full price of the product, please. I emailed a copy of my invoice to [email protected]. Thank you.

Boris Moreyreplied 3 hours ago
Hi Franko,

We're sorry, but our policies do not include refunds.

Thank you for your understanding, and have a good week.

Best regards,

Boris

View More
frankoreplied 1 hours ago
I don't understand, actually. You don't offer a demo or a refund if someone doesn't like your product? This seems like an incredible scam, and I will make sure that every potential customer on every forum knows that.

Old 1st June 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieq ➡️
Sonimus's response is a little surprising but at least your tried.

Right? If they hadn't been so dismissive about it, I might have tried to resolve this quietly with them, but that was such a rude blow off, I figured they deserve to be exposed for what they are.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
So, any software co that does not offer a demo is a scam co?

Or are they only a scam co when you do not like the product?

And -

Hi Franko,

I fail to see how that is rude. It's actually quite polite, mind you.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbinti ➡️
So, any software co that does not offer a demo is a scam co?

Or are they only a scam co when you do not like the product?

And -

Hi Franko,

I fail to see how that is rude. It's actually quite polite, mind you.
If you don’t offer a demo, have no audio samples on your site, and tell everyone just to read the reviews you’ve posted, and then refuse to give refunds to people if they aren’t happy with the software? Yeah, that seems like a scam to me. I’m just embarrassed I fell for it, and feel obliged to warn others not to do the same.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsanfili ➡️
have no audio samples on your site
Well, that is just flat out wrong:

https://sonimus.com/products/britson

Plenty of audio exs there
Here for the gear

Quote:
Well, that is just flat out wrong:

https://sonimus.com/products/britson

Plenty of audio exs there
Ok, there are some super high-quality YouTube vids, so all my points are invalid.

Thank you for understanding, and have a good week.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Ok, there are some super high-quality YouTube vids, so all my points are invalid.

Thank you for understanding, and have a good week.
Ok, now you are being a drama queen. I never said all your points are invalid. I just said that you were wrong about the audio not being there. How does that render all of your other points invalid? Sounds like you are just here to complain.

Have a nice day.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Ok, now you are being a drama queen. I never said all your points are invalid. I just said that you were wrong about the audio not being there. How does that render all of your other points invalid? Sounds like you are just here to complain.

Have a nice day.
Have a day.
Quote:
Yup.

frankoreported 2 days ago
The Britson plugin does not suit my needs. I would like a refund for the full price of the product, please. I emailed a copy of my invoice to [email protected]. Thank you.

Boris Moreyreplied 3 hours ago
Hi Franko,

Best regards,

Boris

View More
frankoreplied 1 hours ago
I don't understand, actually. You don't offer a demo or a refund if someone doesn't like your product? This seems like an incredible scam, and I will make sure that every potential customer on every forum knows that.

I didn't know that Sonimus don't offer a refund for Britson although it doesn't have a demo. I'm sorry for that, as it would be a legitimate way to settle things in your case. Of course it is the company's right to set the rules, and there are no promises of refunds anywhere on the website. I'm just saying I personally would do a refund in this case.

Sonimus are definitely not scammers, as they deliver what they promise. Britson works and it does its thing pretty well. I've owned it for years. It was the first of their plugins I bought along with Burnley 73, to get the Neve sound. I was so satisfied, I proceeded to buy all of their plugins in the end.

Actually there was a blind test recently with Britson and UAD Luna, where most people prefered Britson over UAD. And even those who didn't, all agreed that Britson could become more obvious than UAD.

From your original post I understand that you expected this to be something different. You compare it to a preamp emulation and two saturation boxes. But it isn't supposed to work like that. This is the part of the console after the preamp and eq, with just the fader. It emulates the limited headroom of an analog circuit that is trying to be as transparent as possible, but has nonlinearities and the limitations of the materials. It is designed to be clean. You wouldn't try to saturate your snare by pushing the channel's fader. The same goes with Britson. It is designed to go after your saturation so that it does some smooth soft-clipping to your signal, almost inaudible, tighten it, control its dynamics and blend it with the rest of the tracks in a non-obvious way. If you are interested in emulating an analog studio's signal path, the chain would be: Preamp, tape emulation, EQ, Britson channel on every track. And Britson Bus on Groups and Master.

However, there is a way to push it if you read the instructions: Click the vertical words "Britson Channel" next to the fader. A menu opens up and there click the "output compensation". Close the menu and press "FAT". Now your Britson Channel works like a preamp. Push the fader to saturate without changing the output volume. The harmonic profile will be very obviously different, similar to a Neve preamp. For extra gain click the "X2" small button next to the fader.

And for the Bus plugin, again you can use the "FAT" mode for extra harmonics to blend things together more. But of course the Bus is always more transparent than the channel. Again, this is not designed to be a saturator, but to emulate the analog circuits of a console which were trying to be as clean as possible. And you get the bonus of the FAT mode for that extra colour. It is a very smart design if that's what you are looking for. In your case you were looking for something else, and I think this is more of a misunderstanding. As I said I'd just refund your purchase. But now that you seem to be stuck with it, I suggest you give it a try the way it is designed to work. I think you will like it for what it is.

I remember when I bought it and put it on every track with just the default preset. It was the first time my studio started having a signature sound, with colour instead of just the clean digital feel I was used to. The customers were very happy about it.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusionaire ➡️
I didn't know that Sonimus don't offer a refund for Britson although it doesn't have a demo. I'm sorry for that, as it would be a legitimate way to settle things in your case. Of course it is the company's right to set the rules, and there are no promises of refunds anywhere on the website. I'm just saying I personally would do a refund in this case.

Sonimus are definitely not scammers, as they deliver what they promise. Britson works and it does its thing pretty well. I've owned it for years. It was the first of their plugins I bought along with Burnley 73, to get the Neve sound. I was so satisfied, I proceeded to buy all of their plugins in the end.

Actually there was a blind test recently with Britson and UAD Luna, where most people prefered Britson over UAD. And even those who didn't, all agreed that Britson could become more obvious than UAD.

From your original post I understand that you expected this to be something different. You compare it to a preamp emulation and two saturation boxes. But it isn't supposed to work like that. This is the part of the console after the preamp and eq, with just the fader. It emulates the limited headroom of an analog circuit that is trying to be as transparent as possible, but has nonlinearities and the limitations of the materials. It is designed to be clean. You wouldn't try to saturate your snare by pushing the channel's fader. The same goes with Britson. It is designed to go after your saturation so that it does some smooth soft-clipping to your signal, almost inaudible, tighten it, control its dynamics and blend it with the rest of the tracks in a non-obvious way. If you are interested in emulating an analog studio's signal path, the chain would be: Preamp, tape emulation, EQ, Britson channel on every track. And Britson Bus on Groups and Master.

However, there is a way to push it if you read the instructions: Click the vertical words "Britson Channel" next to the fader. A menu opens up and there click the "output compensation". Close the menu and press "FAT". Now your Britson Channel works like a preamp. Push the fader to saturate without changing the output volume. The harmonic profile will be very obviously different, similar to a Neve preamp. For extra gain click the "X2" small button next to the fader.

And for the Bus plugin, again you can use the "FAT" mode for extra harmonics to blend things together more. But of course the Bus is always more transparent than the channel. Again, this is not designed to be a saturator, but to emulate the analog circuits of a console which were trying to be as clean as possible. And you get the bonus of the FAT mode for that extra colour. It is a very smart design if that's what you are looking for. In your case you were looking for something else, and I think this is more of a misunderstanding. As I said I'd just refund your purchase. But now that you seem to be stuck with it, I suggest you give it a try the way it is designed to work. I think you will like it for what it is.

I remember when I bought it and put it on every track with just the default preset. It was the first time my studio started having a signature sound, with colour instead of just the clean digital feel I was used to. The customers were very happy about it.
I really appreciate you writing this up. It’s possible I would like it more on a new mix from scratch, but I found it to degrade the sound of mixes I tried it on which were mostly finished. I fully appreciate others may like it and it’s just not for me — but I can’t accept them simply saying “sorry, company policy, no refunds, have a good week” when they don’t offer a demo.
Here for the gear

It's certainly unfortunate that, having bought the plugin this weekend, you don't like it, fsan.

In the absence of a demo, any mention of a refund system (which could also be checked pre-sale with Sonimus) or audio examples that you found to be high enough quality (referring to your comment above) you decided to pay for a plugin.

You were provided with a fully functioning plugin with no inherent fault. So, unless some relevant, but unknown to me, consumer law has been broken here, I don't understand how this has been a 'scam' in any way.

All that said, and as a 'happy customer' myself of Sonimus (I have the Britson and Burnley), I would nevertheless encourage Sonimus to put a clear 'no refund' statement on their website, at least on their FAQ page.

I wish you all the best going forward, and the same to Sonimus too.
Quote:
I really appreciate you writing this up. It’s possible I would like it more on a new mix from scratch, but I found it to degrade the sound of mixes I tried it on which were mostly finished. I fully appreciate others may like it and it’s just not for me — but I can’t accept them simply saying “sorry, company policy, no refunds, have a good week” when they don’t offer a demo.
I understand your point of view. And of course I am not trying to persuade you to like it just because I do. I'm trying to make the best out of an unfortunate situation and I am glad you appreciate that.

I think it is exactly like you say: From scratch it can give you something else. I have templates with it on every track and I enjoy building my mix from there. I don't know how it would feel on an already balanced mix. Probably hard to notice, until I pushed to much and it suddenly sounded bad.

I am referring to "degrading" the sound like you said: Neves feel very round and balanced in their sweet spot, but break up in a very bad way when pushed. And the threshold of their hard clipping is very steep. So there is a very thin line between sweet saturation and harsh clipping with them. Britson does that, being true to the original. The only time I've found this kind of sound nice in a creative way, was on heavy metal bass guitar in parallel, or maybe on really distorted drums.
Neve saturation is more useful in another manner for me: To transparently shave off some rogue transients that can eat up your headroom. That will come very handy when mastering, giving you a couple of free dB's for extra loudness without squashing your mix further. It is one of those things like tape that you don't notice until they are gone and you realize they made a difference.

As for the more obvious saturation you are after, I can suggest some good free and affordable plugins I use, if you are interested. Maybe in a PM so I don't derail this thread too much.

Sorry for the long post!
Here for the gear

Quote:
I understand your point of view. And of course I am not trying to persuade you to like it just because I do. I'm trying to make the best out of an unfortunate situation and I am glad you appreciate that.

I think it is exactly like you say: From scratch it can give you something else. I have templates with it on every track and I enjoy building my mix from there. I don't know how it would feel on an already balanced mix. Probably hard to notice, until I pushed to much and it suddenly sounded bad.

I am referring to "degrading" the sound like you said: Neves feel very round and balanced in their sweet spot, but break up in a very bad way when pushed. And the threshold of their hard clipping is very steep. So there is a very thin line between sweet saturation and harsh clipping with them. Britson does that, being true to the original. The only time I've found this kind of sound nice in a creative way, was on heavy metal bass guitar in parallel, or maybe on really distorted drums.
Neve saturation is more useful in another manner for me: To transparently shave off some rogue transients that can eat up your headroom. That will come very handy when mastering, giving you a couple of free dB's for extra loudness without squashing your mix further. It is one of those things like tape that you don't notice until they are gone and you realize they made a difference.

As for the more obvious saturation you are after, I can suggest some good free and affordable plugins I use, if you are interested. Maybe in a PM so I don't derail this thread too much.

Sorry for the long post!
No, I’m not after heavy saturation — I have a ton of plugins like that. I wanted something that would sound like a summing mixer, or mixing on a board. All I’ve gotten out of Britson so far is watery saturation, some weirdness in dynamics, and some really poor customer service which has permanently soured me on the company. I may try it on another, new mix someday to see if that works better, but I can’t see buying from them ever again.

So I learned a $30 lesson: not offering a demo of your plugin is, as the kids say, sus.
Quote:
No, I’m not after heavy saturation — I have a ton of plugins like that. I wanted something that would sound like a summing mixer, or mixing on a board. All I’ve gotten out of Britson so far is watery saturation, some weirdness in dynamics, and some really poor customer service which has permanently soured me on the company. I may try it on another, new mix someday to see if that works better, but I can’t see buying from them ever again.

So I learned a $30 lesson: not offering a demo of your plugin is, as the kids say, sus.
Got it. I can't blame you. I've been in your place with another company so I can relate to your frustration. I also avoid products without a demo nowadays.

Nice talking to you
Gear Maniac

I love everything Sonimus makes, though I only own some of their tools.
Burnley is irreplaceable IMO. Seems like the newer products they offer demos that occasionally mute, ie TuCo. Perhaps their older products are in need of a dusting to bring them up to the level of the newer goods.
Sometimes I wish the noise could be turned down or off in Satson/Britson, but maybe that's all part of the mojo.
Old 3rd June 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudscape ➡️
I love everything Sonimus makes, though I only own some of their tools.
Burnley is irreplaceable IMO. Seems like the newer products they offer demos that occasionally mute, ie TuCo. Perhaps their older products are in need of a dusting to bring them up to the level of the newer goods.
Sometimes I wish the noise could be turned down or off in Satson/Britson, but maybe that's all part of the mojo.
Some people seem to like Britson. It's possible it simply doesn't work correctly in Digital Performer, I suppose, but the point is I find it completely useless for my needs, and hiding behind "company policy" to decline giving a refund on software I contacted them within hours of purchasing is inexcusable. What kind of company does that? Are they teetering on the edge so bad that they'd rather have my 30 bucks than dodo the right thing?
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:

Excellent
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

@ Boris Sonimus

Hey, so far I'm very impressed by this CS. But at the moment only can judge it from watching some YT videos about it. What bothers me is that you integrated a bus comprise into the channel strip. I find this rather unusual and I wished it had more ratios to choose from.
so I wanted to ask if there are any plans to expand this or even include another compressor into that strip in a future update? Thank you. Cheers
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichttuntun ➡️
Wrote the support few days ago, having diverse questions, didn´t get an answer also.

Disapointing. Maybe possible new customers aren´t so important?
It doesn't seem like they have a vision anymore. Tuco was the turning point - they designed it as a "rack" module because, as I had previously heard from them, they were preparing for a big rack ecosystem to kind of rival Slate VMR. However from that point onwards they've only released underwhelming, uninspired and overpriced stuff. Don't know what happened there
Gear Addict

104 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Sonimus has always responded quickly to my inquiries. It's not like them to ignore customers or potential customers. Hopefully, they will address your needs very soon. As far as their plugins . . . I remain excited about them and use them daily . . . sound great . . . great value for the money.
Sonimus

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichttuntun ➡️
@ Boris Sonimus

Hey, so far I'm very impressed by this CS. But at the moment only can judge it from watching some YT videos about it. What bothers me is that you integrated a bus comprise into the channel strip. I find this rather unusual and I wished it had more ratios to choose from.
so I wanted to ask if there are any plans to expand this or even include another compressor into that strip in a future update? Thank you. Cheers
Hey Mat, sorry for the delay guys we were a little bit distracted working on our new product. Although we've already sent you a personal response, I will share it with the audience here

"...In regards to your inquiries, our compressor was adapted in order to make it more suitable for tracking without losing its original features.
It has linking, in fact, it has three stereo link modes: Mono, Dual Mono, and Stereo Link.
We have put the bus compressor because it is more versatile than the compressor included in the real channel strip.
In the real channel strip, you can choose between 2 attack modes. Instead, in the bus compressor, you are able to choose between 0.1 and 30 ms (300 different values attack).
Also, among others, you have an option for automated release, sidechain High Pass, Mix, etc..."
Sonimus

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouroki ➡️
It doesn't seem like they have a vision anymore. Tuco was the turning point - they designed it as a "rack" module because, as I had previously heard from them, they were preparing for a big rack ecosystem to kind of rival Slate VMR. However from that point onwards they've only released underwhelming, uninspired and overpriced stuff. Don't know what happened there
Thanks for your feedback it's important to know how the audience perceives us.
Sorry if SonEQ 2 disappointed you. We've got many got feedback about it: take a look at https://sonimus.com/products/soneq2#reviews
Anyway now we are focused on the next product. Our essence did not change, we still work thinking in quality, fidelity, and accuracy.
No funny products, just trying to keep the minimalism and looking for the simplify the workflow.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Sonimus ➡️
Hey Mat, sorry for the delay guys we were a little bit distracted working on our new product. Although we've already sent you a personal response, I will share it with the audience here

"...In regards to your inquiries, our compressor was adapted in order to make it more suitable for tracking without losing its original features.
It has linking, in fact, it has three stereo link modes: Mono, Dual Mono, and Stereo Link.
We have put the bus compressor because it is more versatile than the compressor included in the real channel strip.
In the real channel strip, you can choose between 2 attack modes. Instead, in the bus compressor, you are able to choose between 0.1 and 30 ms (300 different values attack).
Also, among others, you have an option for automated release, sidechain High Pass, Mix, etc..."
Hey Boris, thank you. I answered your email reply already 😊
Thanks again and best wishes for your new product. Cheers
Lives for gear

Re: Putting a "bus comp" on a channelstrip...

Don't just think of the compressor as a "bus-only" compressor. It's great on individual instruments and tracks - has a variety of ratios and attack/release times, dry mix, sidechain filter and linking modes - what else do you need? It doesn't even have 1.5:1 ratio, which in my opinion is a true indicator of a bus/master compressor. 2:1 is standard suitable or all duties, and both attack and release can be set from fast to slow.

This compressor can be whatever you want it to be.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Sonimus ➡️
Thanks for your feedback it's important to know how the audience perceives us.
Sorry if SonEQ 2 disappointed you. We've got many got feedback about it: take a look at https://sonimus.com/products/soneq2#reviews
Anyway now we are focused on the next product. Our essence did not change, we still work thinking in quality, fidelity, and accuracy.
No funny products, just trying to keep the minimalism and looking for the simplify the workflow.
Hey Boris! Cheers for your reply. Well, my full preception is as follows and I only say this because I still have a soft spot for Sonimus as they were some of the first plugins I ever bought...

So it seems to me that you developed this rack framework, came out with Satson CS, which was fine for an initial release but obviously it screamed for more modules to fill in the empty slots, and to this day it still does.

And then SonEQ2 was especially baffling to me because I immediately perceived it as a way to release a premium priced product with the framework you already had, instead of developing the CS idea more. Again, I'm not judging or dictating your company decisions - I probably even have no idea how challenging things have been for you guys... but it's just my perception and you're interested in it! But SonEQ2 would have been great if it had a more comprehensive selection of bands, instead of just a couple that, again, have to fill in all the empty slots. It would have really made it "your own custom analog EQ" as you put it. I mean, even Red Rock Sound's latest EQ lays more of a claim to that marketing than SonEQ2!

Finally, the language & presentation, man! It's been going downhill, more & more cliche and cheesy, more & more spelling/grammar mistakes... the forum reps didn't exactly do that any favors either - not something I'd associate with a boutique plugin brand. I think you should really do something about that. Even the slogan "The Warmth of The True Analog Sound" sounds more like a parody man , plus it has a grammar mistake
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Gear Head
I personally focus more on how do the plugins sound and if they make my workflow better. I own both Satson CS ans SonEQ2 and i have to say I use them on every session in one way or another. They just sound good.
Nevertheless I would love to see a gate module in the Satson CS. That's the thing that I miss from it.
📝 Reply