The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
API Celebrates 50th Anniversary, Debuts Two Limited Edition Modules
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
API Celebrates 50th Anniversary, Debuts Two Limited Edition Modules

With the dawn of 2019, API reaches the exciting milestone of its 50th anniversary. The company is honored and humbled to play such a key role in the recording and production of music for the past 50 years, from the rock anthems of the 70s to the pop ballads of today, and all genres in between. To commemorate 50 incredible years in the industry, API proudly announces the introduction of two limited edition 50th Anniversary modules which help celebrate API's rich history of invention, creativity, and innovation.

The API 550A 50th Anniversary Edition is a discrete 3 band EQ and an exacting reproduction of the original Saul Walker design from the early 1970s. For nearly 50 years the 550A has played a major role in the recording industry and remains the standard by which other EQs are measured. These special limited edition units are painstakingly hand assembled and wired, and feature an exact reproduction of Walker's original printed circuit board. Each unit is a true work of art, inside and out, and represents a piece of recording history.*Every Anniversary Edition 550A carries an individual serial number denoting its status as part of a limited run of 50 units.

The API 312 50th Anniversary Edition is a faithful reproduction of the original 312 microphone preamp used in API consoles from the 1970s and still highly sought after today. Packaged into a modern 500 Series module, the 312 is one of API's most famous mic preamps and is the basis of the highly successful 3124 series. Starting from an exact reproduction of Saul Walker's original 312 printed circuit board, API engineered the 312's classic design true to the original, including the hand-wired gain pot and switches. Each unit carries an individual serial number noting the limited run of 150 units.

To learn more about API's new 50th Anniversary Edition products, please visit APIaudio.com
Attached Thumbnails
API Celebrates 50th Anniversary, Debuts Two Limited Edition Modules-312-1.jpg   API Celebrates 50th Anniversary, Debuts Two Limited Edition Modules-550a-2.jpg  
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Only doing a limited run of the 312 is a mistake. It should become a permanent offering, once again! But hey, what do I know?

Congrats on 50 years, API!
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
EQ looks amazing
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I wonder if I bought 3 of each, whether API would sell me a matching gold lunchbox.
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Is there any sonic difference between these and the new 550A? Does it more coloration / Mojo?
Old 25th January 2019 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by antithesist ➡️
Anyway, wasn't the previous Saul Walker edition 550A quite a bit less than $2K?
The SW edition was $2250.
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
So besides aesthetics, any sonic difference? If so, what?
Old 27th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by decurion99 ➡️
So besides aesthetics, any sonic difference? If so, what?
Compared to what? Which gear are you talking about, both the pre and EQ?
Old 27th January 2019
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
The EQ primarily. I am wondering whether there‘s a sonic difference between a stock 550A and the limited hand wired version. I am asking because this is the original design and vintage API550s are said to sound better, or am I wrong?
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
The older are more colored and the newer ones clearer with nice attitude. Both are great.
Old 28th January 2019
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
These are beautiful. Price hurts. But if I had an extra 8k I’d be in 4 eqs lol
Old 28th January 2019
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
still...…. no 500 gate!
Old 28th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6_Three ➡️
still...…. no 500 gate!
what?
Old 28th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
API is only doing 50 of those EQ's?
is that even worth heating up the soldering iron?
📝 Reply