The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Chandler Limited TG Microphone - ears and hands on at NAMM
Old 22nd January 2019
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Chandler Limited TG Microphone - ears and hands on at NAMM

TG Microphone...What will your first impression be? NAMM '19, Booth 15728, Hall ACC North.

Stop by the Chandler Limited booth for a hands on and ears on experience with the NEW TG Microphone.

The Chandler Limited EMI Abbey Road Studios ‘TG Microphone’ is a solid-state large diaphragm condenser microphone. Continuing the rich tradition of innovation, the TG Microphone is unique in its feature-set, isn’t a clone of any other microphone, and as the name implies, the sound is TG.

The TG Microphone’s unique on-board EMI ‘Tape Equalizer’ section combined with its ‘Dual Tone System’, dedicated PSU and other features create an extremely flexible microphone capable of rivaling scenarios where the, U87 U47 FET, and C414 traditionally have found favor.

Captured at various studios in Nashville, TN Dec. 2018, these are the first impressions of the Chandler Limited EMI Abbey Road Studios TG Microphone from producers, mixers and engineers.

Old 23rd January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
What is the expected ship date?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_f ➡️
TG Microphone...What will your first impression be? NAMM '19, Booth 15728, Hall ACC North.

Stop by the Chandler Limited booth for a hands on and ears on experience with the NEW TG Microphone.

The Chandler Limited EMI Abbey Road Studios ‘TG Microphone’ is a solid-state large diaphragm condenser microphone. Continuing the rich tradition of innovation, the TG Microphone is unique in its feature-set, isn’t a clone of any other microphone, and as the name implies, the sound is TG.

The TG Microphone’s unique on-board EMI ‘Tape Equalizer’ section combined with its ‘Dual Tone System’, dedicated PSU and other features create an extremely flexible microphone capable of rivaling scenarios where the, U87 U47 FET, and C414 traditionally have found favor.

Captured at various studios in Nashville, TN Dec. 2018, these are the first impressions of the Chandler Limited EMI Abbey Road Studios TG Microphone from producers, mixers and engineers.

Old 23rd January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Around about 330 min mark you have John Kennedy in his loft studio and hes running through his explanation on the TG and then you can hear a dog barking.

Not sure Id wanna be doing a session there.

Youd be there doing a vocal take and John would say could you do that again.

Id say what do you mean John . I thought that was pretty good.

John would say Nah I could hear a bit too much growl in the performance.

Or that one had a bit of bite to it.

Cheers
Old 23rd January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLMorgan ➡️
What is the expected ship date?
About a couple weeks after NAMM.

Some sound samples posted in this thread Chandler Limited TG Microphone Sound Samples and More...
Old 23rd January 2019
Gear Guru

Wink

Dog person here. Nothing a few doggie treats can't cure at a studio, if there's Pups about!
Chris
Old 23rd January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack ➡️
Around about 330 min mark you have John Kennedy in his loft studio and hes running through his explanation on the TG and then you can hear a dog barking.

Not sure Id wanna be doing a session there.

Youd be there doing a vocal take and John would say could you do that again.

Id say what do you mean John . I thought that was pretty good.

John would say Nah I could hear a bit too much growl in the performance.

Or that one had a bit of bite to it.

Cheers
Just overdub that one bark!
Old 23rd January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Oh yeah... I want this mic!
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Anybody check this out at NAMM?
Old 26th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonkified ➡️
Yes it’s a great mic. Adam demoed playback of some sources on Thursday while it was a little calmer. It needs to be demoed in your space. But, from what I heard, it’s going in my mic locker. I am bias I have used their LTD -1’s for years, have their REDD 47’s and RS124s and the REDD mics. I have a very good mic locker already, I’m still going to purchase it.
Old 26th January 2019 | Show parent
MYN
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonkified ➡️
I swung by the Chandler booth yesterday afternoon after hearing the samples Adam posted to YouTube. Unfortunately, trying to demo a mic on the raucous NAMM show floor is like attending an underwater beer tasting. I'm sold on it though and will definitely order one.
Old 28th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The Mic sounded sounded as good as it could on a crowded show floor.
But what was the clincher for me were the recorded examples.

They had a PT session with their mic next to a good example of 87, FET 47 and 414 EB on various sources, and THAT was really impressive.

I hope they make that session available for folks to download, or at least listen to online.

I will be buying at least one.
Old 28th January 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought ➡️
Oh yeah... I want this mic!
Me too.
Old 28th January 2019
MYN
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
After a brief conversation with Adam, aka "Spock", on the NAMM show floor and listening to all the samples, I've pre-ordered it from Front End. The mic doesn't ship for another month so I'm going to take the time between now and then to figure out if I really need it, but Front End had a 15% off coupon code during NAMM so I wanted to lock in the discounted price while I could. I really love the samples I've heard, and I think that applying 50v directly to the capsule in this circuit will yield amazing results, but Adam, please post more samples.
Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This mic is the bomb
Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Here is a video interview I did with Wade about the mic.

Old 1st February 2019
MYN
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Got an email from Front End Audio last night. They are saying that an issue with Chandler getting parts will push back availability of the TG mic until early March.

Why must the parts Gods vex me so? The wait to get my hands on this awesome mic and start working with it every day is agonizing, but I will somehow find the strength to face this setback.
Old 1st February 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYN ➡️
Got an email from Front End Audio last night. They are saying that an issue with Chandler getting parts will push back availability of the TG mic until early March.

Why must the parts Gods vex me so? The wait to get my hands on this awesome mic and start working with it every day is agonizing, but I will somehow find the strength to face this setback.
Hi, I'd like to add some clarity here...TG Microphones will begin shipping in about 2 weeks and fulfillment is subject to when dealers placed their orders.
MYN
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hi, I'd like to add some clarity here...TG Microphones will begin shipping in about 2 weeks and fulfillment is subject to when dealers placed their orders.
Hey Adam, good to know. Thank you for the clarification. Still hoping they have over-estimated any delays and they aren't buried too deeply in the order queue.

This is the exact text of the email Front End sent me, typos and all.

"As you may have noticed, our website shows the Chandler TG mic as currently back ordered. We've just confirmed with Chandler today that some parts have taken a bit longer to receive than expected and which will likely put available out till early in March. You will be kept updated on the status of your back order as we receive new information and you will be emailed tracking as soon as your order ships. If you have any questions in the meantime, please do not hesitate to ask. Kind regards, The FEA Team Front End Audio"
Lives for gear

31 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Vnuk Jr. ➡️
Here is a video interview I did with Wade about the mic.

Can yo do a video with Wade where he demos a Helios inspired piece of gear he’s built and put into production?
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Pyramid ➡️
Can yo do a video with Wade where he demos a Helios inspired piece of gear he’s built and put into production?
We have never done anything Helios related.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hey Adam, good to know. Thank you for the clarification. Still hoping they have over-estimated any delays and they aren't buried too deeply in the order queue.
When we annonuced, we experienced high demand from our dealers globally and the queue grew. However, we’ll work to fulfill dealer stock as quickly as possible, though in the order received.
Old 1st February 2019
Lives for gear

God damn I feel lucky.

Confirmed with Sweetwater today: I’m #1 on the pre-order list! For a pair!

Is there a way to get them matched?
Old 2nd February 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

31 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
We have never done anything Helios related.
I know. Wink wink nudge nudge.
Old 2nd February 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa King ➡️
The Mic sounded sounded as good as it could on a crowded show floor.
But what was the clincher for me were the recorded examples.

They had a PT session with their mic next to a good example of 87, FET 47 and 414 EB on various sources, and THAT was really impressive.

I hope they make that session available for folks to download, or at least listen to online.

I will be buying at least one.
I would like to hear this too. Hopefully vocals were in the mix of sources.
Old 5th February 2019
MYN
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Old 5th February 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
More coming...
Old 8th February 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
For those looking for vocal examples...a thread on the forum RGO (Real Gear Online) has a guy singing into two settings on the TG mic and then against his modded Upton 251.

You have to read through a few pages to find the clips, but they are there and certainly very impressive. He recorded them into a Capi preamp going into an Apollo X—so very nice front end.

The Upton 251 had a bit more of a lower mids to mids push, where the TG was pushing slightly on the upper mids. But they are so close, you really have to pay close attention to tell what is unique from one mic to the next.

Given the fact that the TG has 20 EQ setting options, getting it to sound just like the Upton may have happened. The Upton costs $4,500 versus the TG at $1,850.

Bottom line is this is a quality mic. From what I've heard this mic can sound big and expensive.

I think it's going to be a hit for any studio.
Old 8th February 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Regarding the comparison files, to save you the need to scan many pages: Page 8 for the two TG files, Page 9 for the Upton file recorded at the same time.

Quote:
For those looking for vocal examples...a thread on the forum RGO (Real Gear Online) has a guy singing into two settings on the TG mic and then against his modded Upton 251.

You have to read through a few pages to find the clips, but they are there and certainly very impressive. He recorded them into a Capi preamp going into an Apollo X—so very nice front end.

The Upton 251 had a bit more of a lower mids to mids push, where the TG was pushing slightly on the upper mids. But they are so close, you really have to pay close attention to tell what is unique from one mic to the next.

Given the fact that the TG has 20 EQ setting options, getting it to sound just like the Upton may have happened. The Upton costs $4,500 versus the TG at $1,850.

Bottom line is this is a quality mic. From what I've heard this mic can sound big and expensive.

Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

See, I didn’t find them close. And I don’t mean that in a disparaging way. It’s just that I could easily identify them in a blind comparison every time. I think the Upton sounds softer, more “vintage”, mid forward. The TG sounds more “hi-fi”, big bottom, clear top. Both very good in different ways.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamj31 ➡️
See, I didn’t find them close. And I don’t mean that in a disparaging way. It’s just that I could easily identify them in a blind comparison every time. I think the Upton sounds softer, more “vintage”, mid forward. The TG sounds more “hi-fi”, big bottom, clear top. Both very good in different ways.
I agree, complete different mics.

I think the TG mic is pretty detailed and full sounding (a little bit similar to the Aston Spirit), but for vocals it's not my type of sound, prefer a more "natural/darker" one.

Best regards,

Daniel.
📝 Reply