• Separate Control for Boost and Cut
  • 3 Frequency Settings for HF Band
  • 3 Frequency Settings for LF Band
  • Vintage NOS Discrete Components
  • Output Coupled with Custom HRK Transformer
  • Class A Output Transformer Driver
  • JJ Electronics ECC83 Dual Triode Tube
  • On-Board Voltage 500 Rack PSU Filters
  • Direct Sale – Save on Distributors Fee!

The EQ550P is a Passive Tube based 2 Band Shelf Equaliser inspired by the famous Pultec design.

Each Band has a separate Boost and Cut Control which allows creating the sophisticated EQ curves.

Each Boost or Cut control has three different and independent frequency settings which give a total of 9 setting combinations per Band.

The Passive filter section changes the EQ curve by attenuating the signal. The ECC83 gain stage restores the signal to the nominal level adding the combination of harmonics and transients.

The EQ550P is very musical and easy to use. It can process any music material, instruments, vocal or recordings, producing amazing results.

The Valve – Discrete Transistors Hybrid circuit is the result of a long development process. It produces real Tube harmonics and reach tone while maintaining the noise on the extremely low level.

Create the Sophisticated EQ Curves!

The unique feature of Passive Equalizer is the ability to Cut and Boost at the same time.

The EQ550P can create the sophisticated EQ curves which cannot be achieved by the active shelf equalizers.

Ability to select three different frequencies independently for Cut and Boost provides countless possibilities in creating custom EQ curves.

Pictures below show a few examples of such EQ curves.

Hybrid Valve Gain Stage

“Valves can work only with high voltage” – this is the common myth repeated across the internet by self-acclaimed “experts” which have no experience in electronics.

The truth is that most of the popular valves can work with lower voltages without the problems. The key to the success is the clever solution for biasing the valve.

Specially designed discrete transistor circuit controls the biasing and forces the tube to operate as intended at the harmless anode voltage.

The result is a perfectly stable valve gain stage with standard ECC83 dual triode, which delivers 26dB of noiseless gain.

Coupled with Custom HRK Transformers

The Output of the EQ550P is coupled with specially designed custom HRK Transformers. Because of limited space in the 500 module, HRK Custom Transformers became smaller, maintaining no-compromise performance.

All HRK transformers provide the sweet-spot sonic characteristic with pristine detail reproduction. The goal of the design process was to create the transformer which will deliver a balance between the transparency and colouration typical for transformer stages.

Dicrete Transitor Class A Output Transformer Driver

The output transformer is powered by Class A, No-Feedback, DC-Coupled Discrete Driver built with NOS Transistors from ’70s.

More Info, Demo Video and Sound Samples available at:
EQ550P | PASSIVE VALVE 2 BANDS PULTEC STYLE EQ
Attached Thumbnails
EQ550P | Passive Valve Two Bands Pultec Style EQ-eq550p-passive-valve-pultec-eq.jpg   EQ550P | Passive Valve Two Bands Pultec Style EQ-eq550p-fp.jpg   EQ550P | Passive Valve Two Bands Pultec Style EQ-eq550p-passive-valve-pultec-eq-2.jpg   EQ550P | Passive Valve Two Bands Pultec Style EQ-eq550p-passive-tube-pultec-eq-hf-curves.jpg   EQ550P | Passive Valve Two Bands Pultec Style EQ-eq550p-passive-tube-pultec-eq-hfmm-curves.jpg  

EQ550P | Passive Valve Two Bands Pultec Style EQ-eq550p-passive-tube-pultec-eq-lf-curves.jpg   EQ550P | Passive Valve Two Bands Pultec Style EQ-eq550p-passive-tube-pultec-eq-lfmm-curves.jpg  

Last edited by Bart_UK; 19th January 2019 at 07:48 PM..
Old 21st January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hey Bart, this looks neat. I've got a question, though: the only iron i see looks like an inductor, but that would be the output transformer, correct? So no inductors in the circuit?
Old 22nd January 2019
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Intriguing
Old 27th February 2019
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Did anyone pick one of these up? Im thinking about selling my 2 Lindell PEX-500 and replacing them with these.
Old 7th March 2019 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by retractablezing ➡️
Hey Bart, this looks neat. I've got a question, though: the only iron i see looks like an inductor, but that would be the output transformer, correct? So no inductors in the circuit?
No inductors, the output is coupled with the custom made HRK transformer and the no-feedback discrete driver.
Old 8th March 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart_UK ➡️
No inductors, the output is coupled with the custom made HRK transformer and the no-feedback discrete driver.
So, no indictors and the make-up gain stage is transistor based.
How is this "pultec style"?
No doubt that it could sound great, but the only thing I see similar to a Pultec is the toob(and maybe the equipment curves).
Not trying to dog on you here, but the electrical engineer and the audio engineer that live in my mind can't agree.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterybit ➡️
You know, the way I see it, that can be said of most of the "clones" out there, some more than others, obviously. Most lack the interstage iron, etc. So, in fairness, as long as the curves are close and one can boost/cut simultaneously, I'd say "Pultec Style" is fair game. It certainly looks inspired by it. Again, just my opinion.

Last edited by retractablezing; 8th March 2019 at 12:18 PM..
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterybit ➡️
So, no indictors and the make-up gain stage is transistor based.
No doubt that it could sound great, but the only thing I see similar to a Pultec is the toob(and maybe the equipment curves).
Not trying to dog on you here, but the electrical engineer and the audio engineer that live in my mind can't agree.
Pultec EQ's are a group of many different types of passive equalizers. The common between all models is the passive attenuating filter section with specific capabilities and curves and gain make-up circuit.
Some versions or variations of the Pultec design consists pure valve circuit, some transistors or even opamps...

I have explained why I have decided to use the hybrid valve circuit on my page. I have a lot of experience in designing such circuits. They perform as good as many valve only circuits, providing better noise performance and fewer problems with HT supply. They are SAFE, which is a serious issue when it comes to 500 units...

As you are probably aware, the inductors are not the necessary component to create the shelf LF/HF EQ. The inductor which is in the HF section of the Pultec filter circuit will in fact cut off the high-frequency response, creating more bell type response, instead of pure shelf response. Hence the Q potentiometer. I decided to remove the inductor to leave the pure shelf response, not limiting the response in the 20kHz+ region, so the EQ will have HF "air".

Inductors have wider tolerance and can pick-up interferences from the PSU.
The sound won't get better only because the inductor is used in the circuit. The use of the inductors in vintage equipment was the result of a specific design decisions made by designers of the era. Usually, because there was nothing better available at the time. Same goes for valves...

I'm not claiming that the EQ550P is a 1:1 Pultec clone... It is "Pultec type" or "inspired by". It has the most important features of the Pultec type EQ, including curves. It is also affordable, which was the goal.

The original Pultec EQP-1A costs 4K and quite often is beyond the reach of many music enthusiasts... and if somebody has the money to spend on the original Pultec unit, then it won't be interested in clones anyway...
Old 19th May 2019
Here for the gear

Would love to hear from anyone who owns or has used one of these
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Couldn't resist the very low price and the demos where to good to ignore... just bought a pair! And several pairs color modules, US Pentode and EZ Ge Eq and Ge Console!
Can't wait to get them all in my Rack 500!
Old 23rd June 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by E Artsy Moods ➡️
Couldn't resist the very low price and the demos where to good to ignore... just bought a pair! And several pairs color modules, US Pentode and EZ Ge Eq and Ge Console!
How are they going?
Old 24th June 2019 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockduffy ➡️
Would love to hear from anyone who owns or has used one of these
I bought 2 of these along with the summing unit and stereo colour processor.

Packages got beat up pretty badly in transit and lots of the components got bent. When I reached out to Bart he told me to carefully bend everything back into place, and for pieces that were visibly chipped he told me they were not important to sound quality. It was kind of a bummer to be honest.

After 3 weeks of use one of the switches on the eq broke off. I again reached out to Bart and he said he would fix it under warranty if I send it back to him or I could fix it myself (he sent link where to buy the replacement switch). Being that I had to ship it back to Poland (Im in California), which I priced around $50-$60, I decided to just take a loss on the unit. The unit itself I bought for under 200 using coupon and multiunit discount, and I didn't want to pay almost a ¹/3 of the unit to get it fixed, when I hadn't even had it a month.

The whole thing was kind of a bummer.

I will say that the unit does sound great; I also have the Klark Teknik eqpkt and I prefer the Barthrk. It is smoother in the high end, which I find the KT can get a little too gritty.

Just my experience.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandal ➡️

Packages got beat up pretty badly in transit and lots of the components got bent. When I reached out to Bart he told me to carefully bend everything back into place, and for pieces that were visibly chipped he told me they were not important to sound quality. It was kind of a bummer to be honest.

After 3 weeks of use one of the switches on the eq broke off. I again reached out to Bart and he said he would fix it under warranty if I send it back to him or I could fix it myself (he sent link where to buy the replacement switch). Being that I had to ship it back to Poland (Im in California), which I priced around $50-$60, I decided to just take a loss on the unit. The unit itself I bought for under 200 using coupon and multiunit discount, and I didn't want to pay almost a ¹/3 of the unit to get it fixed, when I hadn't even had it a month.

I will say that the unit does sound great; I also have the Klark Teknik eqpkt and I prefer the Barthrk. It is smoother in the high end, which I find the KT can get a little too gritty.

Just my experience.
I ordered the Bart HRK Stereo Colour module along with a couple Discrete Saturation Colour modules and the Stereo Colour module doesn’t work. The Discrete Saturation Colour modules work and sound wonderful, but the package took a month to get to me from Poland and I don’t feel like dealing with extra shipping charges and the wait, so I’ve just shelved the Stereo Colour module.

Was really looking forward to using it. Either way, the Discrete Saturation modules sound great, I bet the EQ550P sounds wonderful as well, but I’ve decided not to order them after this experience.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterLarkin ➡️
I ordered the Bart HRK Stereo Colour module along with a couple Discrete Saturation Colour modules and the Stereo Colour module doesn’t work. The Discrete Saturation Colour modules work and sound wonderful, but the package took a month to get to me from Poland and I don’t feel like dealing with extra shipping charges and the wait, so I’ve just shelved the Stereo Colour module.

Was really looking forward to using it. Either way, the Discrete Saturation modules sound great, I bet the EQ550P sounds wonderful as well, but I’ve decided not to order them after this experience.
Sheesh. I bought one (stereo colour) a couple of weeks ago but haven’t plugged it in. I better test it.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Companda ➡️
Sheesh. I bought one (stereo colour) a couple of weeks ago but haven’t plugged it in. I better test it.
Definitely. And I don’t mean to slag Bart HRK, I love the Discrete Saturation Colour module - exactly what I was looking for. I’m sure other Bart HRK products are great as well. This has just been my limited experience.
Old 8th July 2019 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterLarkin ➡️

Hi,

Please contact me if you have any issues with the products. We will help and we never left any customer without the support. Gearslutz is not the place to conduct customer service queries. I can't remember any email from you. Your comment is bit unfair since you didn't give us a chance to resolve the problem. Quite often, we offer free replacement products, to relief the customers from any additional shipping cost.

As a default, we offer free economy delivery, which is slow, and we make this clear in the shipping information section and the T&C. If you prefer faster delivery you can always ask for express shipping which will cost more.

We ship a lot of packages every month. We pack every order carefully. However, there is no way to make the package strong enough to withstand really bad handling by the delivery company. We offer full support If the package was damaged during the transport.

Recently we switched to free UPS service for the deliveries to USA, Canada and Australia, which is much faster and safe.

Regards,
Bart

Last edited by Bart_UK; 8th July 2019 at 01:07 PM..
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandal ➡️

Just my experience.
Hi,

I remember your case.

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience, however, we offered the solution (the return to base) and later instructions on how to fix the problems and seems like it did work... It was your decision not to send back the order to save on the return shipping cost.

According to the T&C and the PayPal terms, for which you have agreed during the purchase, the customer has to cover the return shipping.

I understand your frustration, however, please understand, that there will always be cases of damaged deliveries no matter how hard we will try to avoid it. Simply because we can't control how the delivery company handles that packages... and this is a global problem, regardless of the product and the manufacturer.

Therefore, I'm bit surprised that you use Gearslutz to vent your frustration and harm my company...

Kind regards,
Bart

Last edited by Bart_UK; 8th July 2019 at 01:02 PM..
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hi,

I remember your case.

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience, however, we offered the solution (the return to base) and later instructions on how to fix the problems and seems like it did work... It was your decision not to send back the order to save on the return shipping cost.

According to the T&C and the PayPal terms, for which you have agreed during the purchase, the customer has to cover the return shipping.

I understand your frustration, however, please understand, that there will always be cases of damaged deliveries no matter how hard we will try to avoid it. Simply because we can't control how the delivery company handles that packages... and this is a global problem, regardless of the product and the manufacturer.

Therefore, I'm bit surprised that you use Gearslutz to vent your frustration and harm my company...

Kind regards,
Bart
Hi Bart,

My parcel also arrived beaten up, with some components bent over the pcb. It also took ages to reach Spain from Polland. I suggest to offer a more reliable shipping option as default, and also offer the cheaper one in case anyone wants it. It'll save you a few headaches each year.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulenJVM ➡️
Hi Bart,

My parcel also arrived beaten up, with some components bent over the pcb. It also took ages to reach Spain from Polland. I suggest to offer a more reliable shipping option as default, and also offer the cheaper one in case anyone wants it. It'll save you a few headaches each year.
Hi,

I'm sorry for any inconvenience. Have you contacted us to resolve any potential issues? How we can help if you don't report the problems...?

The economy delivery may take time, up to 21days. The information about the delivery is provided on the shipping info page and during the checkout. There is also the express delivery option available which costs 19 or 29USD more.

We use many different shipping companies, including UPS and DHL. Economy delivery (which you selected) is sent with postal service. I'm not sure if there is any fully reliable shipping option... Depends on which driver handles the package...

You use Gearslutz to highlight the problem with delivery service, which is actually beyond my control, instead of using the customer service email. Is this really fair...

Best regards,
Bart
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hi,

I remember your case.

Kind regards,
Bart
Hi Bart,

I appreciate your attempts to help the situation and it is definitely not my intention to bring harm to your company. Someone had asked how the units were doing so I just stated the experience I had with your company and how it made me feel.

I also expressed how I think your unit sounds great.

I never did get the eq fixed as I am horrible at soldering but hoping to take it to a local tech soon.

If I could make a suggestion that I think would have made a positive difference in this situation. It would be to provide me with a free replacement of the broken switch instead of a link where to buy it myself. I feel something small like that would have made a big difference in my perception of your customer service.

For a consumer, having to pay an additional 1/3 of the unit price to ship back a defective unit would be a huge bummer. I understand that it was not specifically your fault, but having to pay for a faulty switch just rubbed me the wrong way. The other eq is still working great and I Love it.

I understand you are a business and I respect your perspective on the subject, I'm just giving you a consumer perspective on how things played out.
Old 11th July 2019
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I think gearslutz is absolutely the place to vent especially in the product announcement. These are common complaints. If kept in house they can be repeated. If out in the open you are more likely to rectify. It also allows the complainer the opportunity to celebrate your service should you rectify the problem satisfactorily or better.

If you have the opportunity to advertise the product on a public forum you also have to take public criticism especially on repeat issues.
Old 11th July 2019 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hi,

I'm sorry for any inconvenience.

You use Gearslutz to highlight the problem with delivery service, which is actually beyond my control, instead of using the customer service email. Is this really fair...

Best regards,
Bart

Delivery service, may be beyond your control, but packaging is not.
i get gear from all over the would, and when the gear is well packaged it shows up intact. that is almost alway double pack or very well rapped in bubble rap most often coverd in foam peanuts and using good qaulity boxs.

i only offer this in hopes of possible help solving a potenal issue.
pan
Old 30th July 2019
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I understand both sides in the posts above. Just to keep this discussion from getting too one-sided here: I have ordered several Colour modules and a Stereo module from HRK in the past and everything has always been well packaged and perfectly working. I can't say anything about the EQ though..
Old 30th July 2019 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hi,

Please contact me if you have any issues with the products. We will help and we never left any customer without the support. Gearslutz is not the place to conduct customer service queries. I can't remember any email from you. Your comment is bit unfair since you didn't give us a chance to resolve the problem. Quite often, we offer free replacement products, to relief the customers from any additional shipping cost.

As a default, we offer free economy delivery, which is slow, and we make this clear in the shipping information section and the T&C. If you prefer faster delivery you can always ask for express shipping which will cost more.

We ship a lot of packages every month. We pack every order carefully. However, there is no way to make the package strong enough to withstand really bad handling by the delivery company. We offer full support If the package was damaged during the transport.

Recently we switched to free UPS service for the deliveries to USA, Canada and Australia, which is much faster and safe.

Regards,
Bart
Bart,

I appreciate your response and I wasn’t trying to be disrespectful of your products or service, this was just my experience. I never contacted you about the module not working because I didn’t want to spend more time or money or cost you time or money fixing the module. Maybe I’ll give it another shot in the future. The package was not beat up in shipping, the module simply distorts at all settings and has low output level, but the Colour modules work and sound fantastic.

I am very happy with the discrete saturation modules I purchased from you and look forward to purchasing more of those.
Old 30th July 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hi,

I'm sorry for any inconvenience. Have you contacted us to resolve any potential issues? How we can help if you don't report the problems...?

The economy delivery may take time, up to 21days. The information about the delivery is provided on the shipping info page and during the checkout. There is also the express delivery option available which costs 19 or 29USD more.

We use many different shipping companies, including UPS and DHL. Economy delivery (which you selected) is sent with postal service. I'm not sure if there is any fully reliable shipping option... Depends on which driver handles the package...

Best regards,
Bart
Hi Bart,

To be fair, I contacted you when I was chasing my order, and we even discussed alternative shipping methods, I suggested to offer other faster shipping options. I also wrote to report the state of the parcel, and you admitted that the Polish postal service tends to bash things around. Look in your inbox for emails from *julen* and you will find the threads.

Offering a DHL Or FedEx option at the client's cost would help.

I wish you the best of lucks, your products are great and very fairly priced
Old 20th January 2020
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
When I bought a 19" mic preamp/Compressor from a small boutique company in Ukraine, the seller actually sent it in a wooden box/crate he had screwed together himself as he didn't trust the postal service. Making some basic plywood boxes would be easy and cheap for 500 series modules and really protect them and not add much to the shipping cost if anything.

Just an idea.
Old 20th January 2020
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
When I bought a 19" mic preamp/Compressor from a small boutique company in Ukraine, the seller actually sent it in a wooden box/crate he had screwed together himself as he didn't trust the postal service. Making some basic plywood boxes would be easy and cheap for 500 series modules and really protect them and not add much to the shipping cost if anything.

Just an idea.
Old 22nd March 2021
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Hey just to chime in.. first of all, these units sound great. I really got to get around to my video review that has been on the backburner for like a year now... For the price they can't be beat and really, if you look at Bart's circuits, he's putting together things in a very proper way. The boards are well laid out, with the nice sort of components where they matter and in general. He's actually using the NICEST capacitors available, Nichion Muse. You might not even get that sort of stuff in units costing 3x as much and he does it on every single product.

He also confidently talks about low noise when he describes several of his products, which also tells me that he actually knows about proper grounding technique and how to arrange a PCB. And to back it up, yes, his products are low in noise and stand with any other product you would consider that way. Seriously getting low noise and grounding right every time is to circuit design like mastering is to audio production... at least as was explained to me by an ancient tech who worked alongside Tom Holman before he invented THX surround sound.

As for the broken switches, I had one go on me too. I am positive the issue is fixed on future units and Bart sent me a replacement switch for free. And while I was in there I replaced both of my LEDs with purple LEDs so they also look cool af.

For some reason inexpensive products get bashed harder when a natural failure happens. All companies have this, unless they're forcing you to pay $1000 just in switches alone that don't even affect the sound of your device. He's obviously saving money on components that are marginal to the sound and actually dishing out on those nice shiny capacitors and stuff on things that do affect the sound.

I bought a $3000 Culture Vulture Super 15... and shortly after the warranty I had to spend like $80 on a replacement knob or something ridiculous like that.

I bought a $3000 Bettermaker Mastering limiter that had to be warranty replaced for some bad op amp in the mid-side matrix.

I also bought a $1500 Tonelux Equalux API style EQ. Guess what? It had a crazy bad grounding issue. I had to send it back to Tonelux/PMI and that process, I kid you not, took 9 months.

I bought a $1500 Moog and the oscillator octave switches all broke on it, like tons of sub phatty and sub37 owners will tell you about. I had it fixed. And years later, they broke again! I have to put it in a box this week.

This **** happens... and this dude is always on the line willing to send everybody free replacements and parts right away. and at the same time providing great products!

Last edited by rypalm; 22nd March 2021 at 12:22 PM..
Old 26th April 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by E Artsy Moods ➡️
Can you tell us about your experience with eq550p?
I'm actually thinking to pick a pair of those .
thank you :-)
📝 Reply