Quantcast
TIDAL announces TIDAL Masters for desktop and Android devices - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TIDAL announces TIDAL Masters for desktop and Android devices
Old 13th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielbest1 ➡️
Do a blind test between [email protected] Kbps and CD quality, almost impossible to identify.

How Well Can You Hear Audio Quality? : The Record : NPR

Daniel.
I got 3/6. Harder than I thought although I only used my cheap $30 headphones and not my reference headphones. I found number 6 the hardest to discern.

Interesting to learn that Tom's Diner was used by the mp3 development engineers as the main test track. That was the easiest and quickest for me to correctly pick out of the 6.
Old 13th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by screentan ➡️
Neil Young founded Pono, his high-quality download-based music service, in 2012. Two years later, he offered the PonoPlayer via one of the highest-funded Kickstarter campaigns ever. If you bought a PonoPlayer, it came pre-loaded with one song: “There’s a World,” from his 1972 album Harvest.

Many of the songs in the Pono store are offered as CD-quality downloads, but much of Young’s catalog is available at the highest possible quality, as super-hi-def 24bit/192 kHz FLAC files.
Didn't it go under?
Old 14th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood ➡️
Didn't it go under?
Nope, you can still buy t-shirts on the Pono site.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.R.Baboon ➡️
Nope, you can still buy t-shirts on the Pono site.
Lol. It’s apparently all you can buy... looks like it went under in 2017
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn1234 ➡️
MQA is lossy so this is a bit of a misnomer (‘master quality recordings’) on Tidal’s part.
It's lossy...but is it really? Past 24 kHz (typically, 18-22 kHz) playback systems aren't reproducing those frequencies. It seems like MQA just moves around those useless high frequencies into the audible spectrum.

That said, FLAC/ALAC/WavPack is definitely preferable to MQA if you are in the audiophile arena.
Old 14th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There's no question that Tidal is the best sounding streaming service and it's by a large margin too. As many of you have stated, the difference between Apple Music or Spotify vs Tidal's sound quality is night and day when you A/B tracks. There's more 3D depth, more ultra high frequency information and the lower frequencies sound smoother and tighter. I will never give up this Tidal account. Their whole service will to have to go under for me to stop using it. It's a must have for anyone in music and anyone listening to reference material for their own mixes. It also provides a much needed dose of reminding folks that music can really sound phenomenal again after letting our collective ears settle for crap quality on the other services.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 ➡️
There's no question that Tidal is the best sounding streaming service and it's by a large margin too. As many of you have stated, the difference between Apple Music or Spotify vs Tidal's sound quality is night and day when you A/B tracks. There's more 3D depth, more ultra high frequency information and the lower frequencies sound smoother and tighter. I will never give up this Tidal account. Their whole service will to have to go under for me to stop using it. It's a must have for anyone in music and anyone listening to reference material for their own mixes. It also provides a much needed dose of reminding folks that music can really sound phenomenal again after letting our collective ears settle for crap quality on the other services.
I've been on Spotify Premium for quite a while and just signed up for the Tidal Hifi 30 day trial. Night and day difference like you say. Sucks to think so many people listen to the music I put so much time, energy and money into with such degradation. The difference is like cassette versus CD. Tidal Hifi is twice the price though so only real audiophiles will get it and not the cash strapped or folks who don't care about audio quality. Hopefully more streaming services add lossless options and the high-end quality option becomes more affordable over time so more people listen that way.
Deleted 691ca21
Quote:
There's no question that Tidal is the best sounding streaming service and it's by a large margin too.
Have you used Qobuz? Just as good if not better, and there first.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I've been on Spotify Premium for quite a while and just signed up for the Tidal Hifi 30 day trial. Night and day difference like you say. Sucks to think so many people listen to the music I put so much time, energy and money into with such degradation. The difference is like cassette versus CD. Tidal Hifi is twice the price though so only real audiophiles will get it and not the cash strapped or folks who don't care about audio quality. Hopefully more streaming services add lossless options and the high-end quality option becomes more affordable over time so more people listen that way.
I'm mainly listening to Tidal at my studio on my Focal Twins running through my Apogee Symphony I/O and as expected the difference there is massive between services. What blew me away though was coming home and playing Tidal through my Sonos speakers which I have set up through out the house. You can actually hear the same difference there as well. Again, more open high end. Tighter low end. Just smoother overall. More depth. My wife specifically made a comment on how good it sounded at home vs Apple Music.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregerlindberg ➡️
I was curious.
BUT, and this is a big but for me. Having to give out my creditcard nr, and then after the "free" 60 days listening, go in and stop it if i dont like it.
Why not set it free, and after 60 days, THEN come and want my cardnumber.
Im passing on this one..
Not any different then the countless offers you get for a service (Hulu, for example) that offers you a trial period, but you have to "sign up" using your personal info, including credit card.

Perhaps try using a Visa gift card, and only put a specific amount of funds on it?
Old 14th January 2019
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I don't get how this thread turned into a debate about 320 kbps mp3 vs cd quality and Tidal vs Spotify et al.
This announcement is about 44.1 kHz/16 bit vs 96 khz/24 bit and the claim that the latter is "infinitely better" than the former for pre-recorded music (which is completely laughable and aimed squarely at suckers).
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
so ..its $240 US a year? ..hmm not sure about that...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome ➡️
If a higher percentage went to the artists, I would certainly pay that. (You know other than just Jay Z and whatever other stakeholders).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I’ll try out Tidal now but not for this new feature. I don’t buy every new release and a lot of stuff I can’t even buy uncompressed, so I’d like a portable uncompressed referance library.

I know for sure that my Premium 320kbps Spotify library really sounds like compressed mp3s next to the same tracks as my CD collection. Or my own mixes released there. Really obvious with my Kii Three speakers, especially the top end but generally the clarity, it’s like switching on the shiny clean stereo treble again.

I still think 16 bit uncompressed CD standard when not crushed to death is good enough though. I have bought some Hi Res music files and don’t really see the benefit in all cases. But in the future why not skip the added steps of SRC and bit reduction.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Local Man ➡️
I don't get how this thread turned into a debate about 320 kbps mp3 vs cd quality and Tidal vs Spotify et al.
It's like any real world discussion. People often start with one subject but then naturally move to related topics because they are interesting. In fact, most people see that as one of the hallmarks of a good discussion.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
This announcement is about 44.1 kHz/16 bit vs 96 khz/24 bit and the claim that the latter is "infinitely better" than the former for pre-recorded music (which is completely laughable and aimed squarely at suckers).
Because Tidal needs more subscribers to stay alive and they've clearly got the best sounding service so we're helping A) discuss why it's better and B) hopefully others who are on the fence listening to Spotify and Apple Music will come over and see what the fuss is about. The new Master feature is fantastic and icing on the cake but it's really their Hifi 44.1 lossless that people will enjoy the most.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It's the cost of drinking 3 beers at a bar a month. Or one large pizza with a topping on it. It's also a tax write off. It also sounds infinitely better than the other options that are half the price.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yep, or another way to think about it is it costs about the same as what one CD per month would've cost 25 years ago.

Not a shot at you but I think it's interesting how so many of us on this board complain about how nobody values music or a good sounding recording, but here we have a service offering unlimited lossless streaming of almost every song ever recorded for just $20 a month and some think it's a bad value.
Old 14th January 2019
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Well, the best sounding streaming/download service so far is probably not Tidal, but rather something like Qobuz (hi-res lossless streaming 24-bit up to 192 khz).
Qobuz - Unlimited streaming offers - From $9.99/month
Gear Maniac

Quote:
If a higher percentage went to the artists, I would certainly pay that. (You know other than just Jay Z and whatever other stakeholders).
Kind of related:

TIDAL 'fake streams': Criminal investigation underway over potential data fraud in Norway - Music Business Worldwide
Old 14th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Which I agree with this in spirit, but in the reality of value for money, Netflix seems a much better proposition by cost.

Also at Netflix they are funding all kinds of new film projects feeding the industry, which the music streaming companies are not doing either, unless I'm missing something?

The pricing seems like a "premium" brand business move, and not everyone can afford it (esp a lot of musicians)

The fact is Tidal is better sonically, but they have to compete more on the market pricing.
Old 14th January 2019
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Big fan of Tidal, been on it from the start. It's gone from strength to strength to be fair, I was unsure at the beginning as to how long it would last. Very cool to get MQA at no extra charge, and without the need for a certified DAC.

Without a doubt better quality than Spotify @ 320, had my wife play A/B blind tests for me a while back. Depth and edge definition/separation are the easiest things to hear (especially higher up). Translates to a more engaging performance. I'm also on Kii Three's which are atomic with regards to detail FWIW.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The streaming payouts suck, no doubt about it. It sucks that Spotify is paying less than a half cent per play. Thing is, Spotify is losing money hand over fist, and all of the others are too (outside of Apple/Google/Amazon) so the problem isn’t that they aren’t paying enough. Problem is that the consumers aren’t paying enough so there isn’t enough revenue to go around.

We need at least some of these streaming companies to stay in business if the recording industry is going to survive, and for that to happen these companies need to eventually turn a profit.

$20 a month would’ve been a bargain 25 years ago but people have become so accustomed to getting music for free that nowadays that price seems outrageous to many consumers.
Old 15th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentA ➡️
The streaming payouts suck, no doubt about it. It sucks that Spotify is paying less than a half cent per play. Thing is, Spotify is losing money hand over fist, and all of the others are too (outside of Apple/Google/Amazon) so the problem isn’t that they aren’t paying enough. Problem is that the consumers aren’t paying enough so there isn’t enough revenue to go around.

We need at least some of these streaming companies to stay in business if the recording industry is going to survive, and for that to happen these companies need to eventually turn a profit.

$20 a month would’ve been a bargain 25 years ago but people have become so accustomed to getting music for free that nowadays that price seems outrageous to many consumers.
I read somewhere but don't quote me exactly that the average salary at Spotify is 100k. They have a lot of staff so between that and license costs these are their biggest expenses. I'm not against people earning a fair wage and understand you have to pay competitive rates to attract the right talent and skills but it's interesting how it's always this way in the music business that the business side of the industry earn big salaries and the musos, writers and engineers barely scrape by. Talking about the average here. Obviously the big stars and top writers and engineers will be in a whole other earning league though.

Last edited by screentan; 18th January 2019 at 01:23 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 15th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It's the cost of drinking 3 beers at a bar a month. Or one large pizza with a topping on it. It's also a tax write off. It also sounds infinitely better than the other options that are half the price.
I would switch tomorrow if Tidal had the same awesome Discovery feature. That thing is like a DJ that plays nothing but tracks I love with no ads or annoying voiceovers. 90% of the time it's music I've never heard before nor likely would have ever discovered on my own. I'm almost prepared to forgo the quality for that feature alone. I just hope either Tidal introduce an equally effective Discovery feature or Spotify introduce lossless quality then I have everything I need in one service.
Old 17th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
RE: MQA

Tidal's high rez offering caters to a (current) minority user base of subscribers with audiophile level listening equipment. It's a bit more of an expensive proposition just to get into the ground floor of hearing any difference between Tidal's HiFi and Master offerings without some investment into extra dedicated listening gear. Unfortunately, not too many people are going to be willing to invest into what is necessary to properly play back 24-bit audio content from Tidal or even HDTracks. Unless the correct audiophile level gear is employed, no difference between CD quality etc will be evident.

Tidal, from its inception has always been marketed as the audiophile option to the other streaming platforms.

I'm highly happy with my access to Tidal Master content, it's magnificent, but I'm an avid audiophile (along with audio engineering) kitted up to access Tidal Masters through:

Audirvana + bit-perfect audiophile (PC/Mac) player
Sennheiser HDV 820 (connected to PC with a Platinum Starlight 7 USB cable)
Sennheiser HD 820 (with additional Audio Envy XLR headphone cable)

-with this kind of playback rig, there's an unquestionable difference between Tidal's MQA and HiFi content. How this benefit Android devices (not playing MQA through a bit-perfect playback engine like Audirvana) I don't know. Great for marketing though.
Attached Thumbnails
TIDAL announces TIDAL Masters for desktop and Android devices-img_0479-2.jpg   TIDAL announces TIDAL Masters for desktop and Android devices-img_7282-2.jpg  
Old 18th January 2019
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Platinum Starlight 7 USB cable
Old 18th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I would switch tomorrow if Tidal had the same awesome Discovery feature. That thing is like a DJ that plays nothing but tracks I love with no ads or annoying voiceovers. 90% of the time it's music I've never heard before nor likely would have ever discovered on my own. I'm almost prepared to forgo the quality for that feature alone. I just hope either Tidal introduce an equally effective Discovery feature or Spotify introduce lossless quality then I have everything I need in one service.
Tidal has recently added a "My Mix" feature where you get several playlists made based on what you listen to. The nice thing compared to say Apple Music's, is they keep the genre's fairly close together in each mix so you're not getting wild genre changes between songs. There's often a ton of 3 month free trials for Tidal so I'd say definitely try it out.
Old 18th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinated ➡️
Tidal has recently added a "My Mix" feature where you get several playlists made based on what you listen to. The nice thing compared to say Apple Music's, is they keep the genre's fairly close together in each mix so you're not getting wild genre changes between songs. There's often a ton of 3 month free trials for Tidal so I'd say definitely try it out.
I just started a free 30-day trial so I will try the My Mix feature thanks.
Old 19th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by man in the house ➡️
Platinum Starlight 7 USB cable
I have quite a few of them on my Pro Audio rig as well... the low jitter rate helps towards global sonic quality.

Akin to ordering off the $1 menu at a fast food restaurant expecting organic food quality. You do get what you pay for.

For us golden ear folks, there's a terribly painful price of entry, but worth it
📝 Reply